Bono's Autograph on U2 Single Culminates Long Year for Fan*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
[SIMG]http://forum.interference.com/gallery/data//585/11265somtimes-sml.jpg[/SIMG]
By Arun V.

This whole thing started about a year ago, on April 15, 2004. My dad just didn't wake up during a trip to Cleveland. My mom and I were at home, waiting for him to come home because he was supposed to have dinner with us that night for his birthday. My mom was the one who fielded the call. I got the bad news when I was in the shower.

Death and taxes, the two certainties in life seemed to coincide that day. Dad wasn't coming home or, maybe, he is home which doesn't make it any easier. He died in the city that coined the term "rock 'n' roll," and it was fitting because he was a rock star without a microphone--man he had a voice. My first U2 concert was a gift from my dad on my 16th birthday, something I'll never forget. I don't think he ever really understood the music but he knew my love of it. After all, this was a man who'd gotten drunk with the Beatles once in the '60s.

I remember he'd come home with singles for me, I'd trained him to look for singles I didn't have when he was out and about. He'd phone me to ask if I had them and, if I didn't, it was as good as mine. Don't get me wrong, my dad wasn't the easiest kind of man in the world to live with but he's the hardest kind to live without. He was a surgeon, and with it he had the classical occupational hazards--an ego--combined with the expectations of an MD/PhD, a man who spoke seven languages fluently, could bind his own books, explain the Federal Reserve System and teach you the physics behind a tennis serve over a cup of coffee. I didn't just have big shoes to fill, I had a long path to follow in them. He had expectations but nothing specific, I just had to be good at whatever I did.

I'll spare you the details of a Hindu funeral although I will say it's very hard on the son who performs a lot of the rites. I didn't know what to do, I'd never had to live life without my dad before and it wasn't until he was gone that I realized how much he had done for me, how much of me came from him. Sons follow their fathers, sometimes by choice, sometimes through rebellion. I was the latter, I never wanted to be him because I never thought I could. He was the closest thing to myself on this planet and as little as I realized that before, I realize it now. I miss him and, as Bono says about the late, great Bob Hewson, "I wish I knew him better."

Sometimes you can't make it best you can do is to fake it

"Head of Household," it's not a title I wear very well, it's unnatural. What do you do when you have to make sure your mom in being given the support she needs and that bills are getting paid and books are being balanced? You fake it. And that's what I did, made it seem like it was the easiest thing in the world. It was a hard year, my birthday, my parents' wedding anniversary, etc. But no matter how bad it gets, it passes, not easily, but it does. I always tried to remember that even though some of my friends' lives seem very easy--affluent intact parents who cater to their every need, it's climbers not sprinters who win the Tour de France. Random analogy? Yes but not without merit. A 2,000 mile race, perhaps the most grueling sporting event ever, is almost never won by a sprinter, you need a climber, someone who can cycle uphill. Your ability to go uphill not only determines your worth as a touring cyclist, it also determines your worth in a difficult spot.

I read a lot, read my dad's old notes, his papers, asked people about him, what he was like when he was my age. Turns out we were more alike than time would let us understand and it's unfortunate.

U2's latest record, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb," was really the catalyst for me in dealing with a lot of things. Bono's description of himself being the atomic bomb dismantled by the loss of his father was something I'd felt but had never been able to articulate. For months I'd felt like someone had reached in and taken out the part of me that ticked, the part of me that wanted to change the world, the part of me that wanted to be the best, the part of me that couldn't settle for just a nice place and a pension. I'd been dismantled in the worst way, through an act of God.

11265somtimes.jpg

Everything on this album resonated with what I felt for my dad, from the confusion in "Vertigo" to the hope of "Miracle Drug," the naked aching of "Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own," or even to the desire to be made whole again in "Yahweh." "City of Blinding Lights" was written about the Elevation concert on 10/27/01 in Madison Square Garden, a show I was at, a birthday gift from my dad. But for me it was "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" that made this CD more than a CD, it made it a direct line into the very core of what makes the human heart so strong and so fragile at the same time.

When I met Bono outside the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California, in April, he signed my copy of "Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" and I thanked him because this album had really helped me deal with losing my dad. He told me it was a "stinker" but that "we get through it." It was a strange moment, the world's biggest rock star taking a second out of his day to identify with me, something I do with him through his art all the time but never expected to have happen in reverse. In my head there were all sorts of things I wanted to ask him, about my Elevation Tour experience playing guitar on stage, about his thoughts for this tour, but my heart only wanted the CD signed. I got that and Bono's tacit agreement that Dr. V. is on the list of people he sings that song to, that it's not just about Bob Hewson anymore, it's about all of us who've been in that place and need a voice to sort it out. So thank you U2 and thank you Bono for giving that to us.

Hey Dad, this time I have a single for you. Wish you were here to receive it.

Arun
wonderfully written
I'm so happy that you were able to have that experience with Bono

sending my thoughts and prayers to you and your family

Chrissi

that was beautiful, arun. i met you at MSG (was #1 in line for purchasing tickets), and we chatted at 5 am before most of the other diehards had risen from their beds. you told me your story then, and this article is a wonderful tribute to your father (he sounds like an amazing man).

best of luck to you... and maybe i'll see you on the fall leg. :)

I spoke w Dr V many times on the phone.
He was always effervescent, eager and sweet.

He always referred to me as "Diamond" and would speak with me for a bit even if Arun wasn't home.
He was a good man.

db9

Really nice tribute, Arun.

I hope we'll get to see you in Hartford in December. Let me know.

Arun that was a beautiful tribute to your dad. It is so hard to loose someone so important to you that you love. For me it was a 2am phone call, letting me know that my best friend had died. At 4am in a carpark in the dark, it was SYCMIOYO, that helped me thru one of the hardest moments in my life. Its hard enough to loose someone you love dearly, but then to have to tell her kids that she isn't coming back just about killed me. My friend was my support and someone who I told about all the concerts I went to. She always loved hearing the stories. I hope in November I get to let one of the band members know how much that song has truly meant to so many.

Thanks so much for sharing. It gives me comfort to know that I'm not alone in my grief. :hug:

I remember reading your post around the time of the San Jose show you attended. You wrote a very beautiful tribute. I'm sure your Dad is looking down upon you proudly. As nursechrissi said, thoughts & prayers to you & your family.

:hug:

Arun,

That was moving. Thank you for sharing all of those thoughts and feelings. You have tremendous heart and resilience.

Aaron

Arun

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings. I lost my dad that year also and couldn't have better expressed what SYCMIOYO means to me. :hug:

Quite a storu

That was a beautifully written story. I lost my father many years ago before I got married and had a family. We never got along very well until he got sick. You really learn priorities when you know you are dying or you realize someone very close to you is not going to be there very much longer. I cannot count the times I wish he was here to see my son grow up. I agree that Bono and U2 touched alot of lives with this album including mine. I hope they (Bono and U2) realize that they are not just a rock band to most of us. They inspire, encourage, empathize, and sometimes just give us a shoulder to lean on or cry on. ROCK ON U2!! They are definitely the GREATEST BAND IN THE WORLD!!!
Thank you for such a beautiful story!!!!

Thank you for so eloquently sharing your story. I know your dad is proud of you.

I pray for your continued strength and resilience.

Meg

Hi Arun,

I'm a daily reader of these boards and I've never read any of your posts nor knew of your story and I had previously only seen references to you in others posts. I stumbled upon the link from the interference homepage when I checked in tonight as I came home from the bar. We are all connected in that all of us here have a father and reading your post tonight only reaffirmed how much I love my old man. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Humanity is a wonderful thing which binds us all and reading your tribute reaffirmed my faith in humanity. No matter how bad things can get in this fucked up world I can still count on people like you to have the fortitude to express their feelings and share their stories with thousands of anonymous viewers for the greater good within us all. Your old man would be proud. Looking forward to seeing you all 9/12 in the queue.

God Bless,

-MP

Thanks guys... I actually didn't think this would be nearly as well recieved as it was, thank you all.

Beautiful Arun...you've written about the heart of the matter for those of us who have lost a father, and yet still find the strength and courage to carry on, knowing they are looking down at us with pride at those life lessons they taught us that we now cherish in this life and are carrying us, instilled in us by our fathers...sometimes we can't make it on our own...thanks for carrying some of us with your reflective words here.

Your friend,
Chris

Dear Arun--I wouldn't have expected Bono to do any less than what he did for you. You're coping courageously with a terrible situation, but you're NOT on your own--you have your family and friends, I'm sure you have your dad's spirit, and you have U2.

I have these lyrics on my screensaver--I hope they help.

It's not why you're running
It's where you're going
It's not what you're dreaming
But what you're gonna do
It's not where you're born
It's where you belong
It's not how weak
But what will make you strong

"Summer Rain"

Good luck--Tracy

Wow... I am a 44 year old "dad" and am touched.
Best thing to do is is pass the positive attributes of your father on to your own son...when it is time, of course.
Peace...my friend.
Brian from Philly

What a touching story. I had to wipe a few tears out of the way as I read. :hug: Thank you for your beautiful words and for sharing a bit of yourself with us. Very inspiring indeed :up:

Back
Top Bottom