Bono and his incessant/inane chatter during concerts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:shh:

nope, it's "iggy fizz", not the guy who had hundreds of posts in /r/bandnames. nope nope nope.

Last edited:
Well, let's see... you've also claimed you were a progressive, yet you seem to get upset at any mention that the band has towards Trump, even pretending they've never done that in the past. Now that coupled with your misogyny, makes these claims very suspect :shrug:

I am who I am. If you don't believe it, your choice.

But you do still seem to misunderstand the point I am making. Bono can do and say whatever he wants at his shows. And I can criticize him. Last I checked, this forum was about expressing personal opinions. If you can't handle that, I am deeply sorry.

I am who I am. If you don't believe it, your choice.

But you do still seem to misunderstand the point I am making. Bono can do and say whatever he wants at his shows. And I can criticize him. Last I checked, this forum was about expressing personal opinions. If you can't handle that, I am deeply sorry.

And I never said you couldn't?! But this post just adds to the compilation of wtfery of not making sense and inconsistency. So keep on keeping on :up:

And I never said you couldn't?! But this post just adds to the compilation of wtfery of not making sense and inconsistency. So keep on keeping on :up:

You seem very upset. I'm sorry. Perhaps you should take a break from the forum. Maybe get out into the real world where U2 aren't your sun.

You seem very upset. I'm sorry. Perhaps you should take a break from the forum. Maybe get out into the real world where U2 aren't your sun.

In what world does telling you to keep on equate to upset? The same world where Bono trying to be inclusive pisses you off? Seriously, you should stop questioning other people's lives and look in the mirror.

In what world does telling you to keep on equate to upset? The same world where Bono trying to be inclusive pisses you off? Seriously, you should stop questioning other people's lives and look in the mirror.

you know, I have been tempted to offer you an opportunity to take a reset. But I am not inclined to do so, as I see that you are more consumed with the messenger than the message. You will probably misunderstand that. It's OK.... don't worry baby, it'll be all right.

you guys are making me laugh

evil-laugh.gif

During one of the Lovetown Point Depot shows (and presumably other ones too), Bono asks if there's anyone from out of town and says that they're 'very welcome'. Earnest levels off the charts. This theme of inclusiveness is nothing new.

Ha, yep. I'm tired of him trying to pander to all sides in a weak attempt at inclusivity. We all know he thinks the likes of Cruz and Trump are flying fucking nincompoops, so go on, say it. In years gone by he didn't give two shits about offending Republicans in the audience, whether it was heckling Reagan in the eighties or prank-calling H.W. Bush on ZooTV. Now he wastes too much time on blather that, if the reaction of Republicans on here and Twitter is any gauge, offends them anyway. That party has become so extremist that there is no pleasing its lunatic fans short of a parade of Luminous Pepes. So fuck them, if a call to find common ground and a plea to respect the humanity and rights of refugees and women is too much for their twisted morality. Call them out in the pithy, fiery ways of the past instead. At least that could be entertaining.

...he was willing to be critical of Trump in the past, including Kimmel show. And Exit on the current tour.

80's and Zoo TV didn't have the activist Bono. With a Republican administration/President, he'd be ill advised to launch big time rants on stage. With his experiences I would hope he has something more significant to say than drop F-bombs to appease to the antiTrump audience.

And it's ironic to see these complaints in one of the more silent Bono tours in recent memory...

...he was willing to be critical of Trump in the past, including Kimmel show. And Exit on the current tour.

80's and Zoo TV didn't have the activist Bono. With a Republican administration/President, he'd be ill advised to launch big time rants on stage. With his experiences I would hope he has something more significant to say than drop F-bombs to appease to the antiTrump audience.

And it's ironic to see these complaints in one of the more silent Bono tours in recent memory...

80s didn't have activist Bono? What? Did 80s also not have Edge playing delayed riffs?

Zoo TV was not explicit activism but that tour and PopMart were both critiques of politics, culture and economics.

"THANK YOU FOR GIVING US A GREAT LIFE"

Although it is nice for him to be appreciative of his great life thanks to his fans' money, it can get redundant easily. So far in this tour he hasn't said that much though, it applies more to the past tours and several past shows.

Another way of being appreciative without being so direct would be nice, instead of reminding everyone that the band's lives are great and yours are shit.

Last edited:

Although it is nice for him to be appreciative of his great life thanks to his fans' money, it can get redundant easily. So far in this tour he hasn't said that much though, it applies more to the past tours and several past shows.

Another way of being appreciative without being so direct would be nice, instead of reminding everyone that the band's lives are great and yours are shit.

How shit can your life be if A) you can afford to see U2, and B) you are lucky enough to get a ticket?

I've read some pretty stupid criticism of the band....

While I still applaud his efforts to appeal to both sides (I really do believe it provides at least a willingness from the other side to cooperate, rather than the continual intransigence of pure political ideology), I was actually surprised by the amount of people upset by Bono at the Tampa show (yeah, i caved and checked out the U2 Facebook post regarding that stop. immediate regret). Leaving the concert, I couldn't understand how anyone would walk away from the show completely enraged by Bono's talk of... tolerance, I guess? I know, I'm being a tad flippant, and I'm sure the band's "Exit" performance is what set them off... but good god, if anything, it really alarmed me that Trump, for his constant cavalcade of controversial shit and total incompetence in holding public office, has a much bigger fan following than I expected (I mean, he obviously has his supporters, but I didn't expect so many to be so devout).

I've had the same reactions as you when reading people on facebook and elsewhere. This is, to my ears anyways, probably the least we've heard Bono- politically or long stories about other topics- in a number of tours now. The pre One speech can get long some nights, but those who are suggesting it's anywhere near Vertigo level (or even Elevation during the Pride break down some nights) need to go back and refresh their memories.

I'd like to say, to be fair, that that's only apparent to people who have been following U2 for years, but as we've discussed, most of these fans are people who were around during JT when they would've gotten a far more direct and controversial political take.

I too am astounded by the amount of support Trump still seems to have, even at U2 shows. Those who are not Americans on this board, I think, truly don't get the power and masterful messaging of various right wing outlets in this country. They've mainstreamed and normalized absolutely insane, extremist views over the past 25 years and have never taken a day off. So say, in the 1980s, when Reagan was FAR more popular than Trump, it was more down to his image /personality than it was the mainstream acceptance of far right policies that you see now. A small percentage truly believe them, another small group is gullible enough to buy the con and a much larger group just isn't that politically aware and the right wing narrative is all they hear.

What am I saying here.... basically that the tolerance and respect and unity theme that he's pushing is still inherently shared by a vast majority of people, but you have to push up hill against decades of persistent lies (all Muslims will kill you, why let them in???)to get down to those core values. So when Bono asks us to consider Omaima and those like her, a substantial number of people- smart, compassionate people even- not true believers- see him as asking us to let in dangerous or likely dangerous people when that of course is not what they are. They've been conditioned to believe refugee equates to terrorist and that there is no vetting process when people come in.

If you ask that same person in the abstract if we should let in a little girl who got her home destroyed in a war and wants to come here and live peacefully, they'd look at you like you had 10 heads and say "of course we should." But they see the headscarf and the name of the country (Jordanian camp housing Syrians) and they've been hearing that those people are dangerous for years.

Bottom line, I have no issue with anything Bono or U2 are doing with politics this tour, but it will take a lot more than a video at one concert to cure what's wrong with America now.

For what it's worth, 3 personal observations from my shows: LA 2, Pittsburgh, Boston, NJ1.

1) Exit and Trump got laughs and cheers- predominant reaction in all cities but loudest in Boston and LA. Very few surprised/did they just go there reactions and even fewer grumbles or boos. Seemed to go over very well.

2)Ultraviolet and the inspirational women got by far the most eye rolls, boos and audible reactions from the more right leaning members of the audience. They got through Exit and Sarajevo with a head shake or 2, but Ultraviolet did them in. I swear, something about Hillary and Michelle Obama just sets them off in a rage. That's conditioning over the years as well. One guy in front of us in Pittsburgh even put his middle finger up when Michelle Obama came on the screen.

Why? That's something I wouldn't even think of doing when the Bush women or Condi are up there. Even if Trump was up there. My point is this group of people plays by a whole different set of rules now- a deeply bitter, personal and divisive set- than people understand. This is especially true for non Americans and is most DEFINITELY not fully understood by U2, as intelligent and aware of American politics as they all are.

I don't think Bono has any idea he's pissing anyone off.

He certainly did and didn't care at I Heart and Dreamforce before the election when his goals were different, but now, with his stated goal of unity, I think he has very little to no idea he's not getting everyone on board.

3) I went to both I&E and JT with my friend who is almost 60. He's center/left politically like myself. White Italian, working class roots. Voted for Hillary. Supervisor at a unionized shop that makes glass. Has done well and owns rental property now, very comfortable. Doesn't care for far right or far left. Or too much about politics in general, though he knows it's important. He said after I&E "that was outstanding but they're real political, right?" He didn't seem to get the political narrative and how it weaved into the band's story.

This was after the show when they consciously tried to hit us over the head with that narrative! Ironically, at JT, my friend was completely in to the SBS/NYD/Pride political start and despite having made some critical comments about the AIDS piece on I&E, was following along and cheering all the points Bono hit on women, refugees and AIDS/poverty in the encore.

I noticed this reaction but didn't talk to him about it that night. When I saw him a week later he said "hey, I want to tell you something we didn't discuss about that show. We saw them before, but this time, I came away feeling like I actually know and get U2 and what they're about and their place in rock history. They've transformed the live rock and roll show and taken the personal/ political themes always present in the genre and presented them unlike anyone else ever has. "

It amazes me how this band can not only pull new people in, but even get them to truly understand what they are about as a band and as people- EVEN when they missed doing it once! We have our set list/show structure complaints, but I think they do succeed at telling a compelling story with their show every time. Even after all their success and fame, they want to connect with YOU and you to connect with them. They remain humble and thankful- and that to me, is the spirit of the "great life" speech at every show. I don't mind it because they show through their actions that they mean it.

4) I actually thought the non political speeches were informative and entertaining without being too long (like my posts are too long!). The Bad speech has been true to the song. The pre IGC and One Tree Hill speeches are heartfelt and successful attempts to connect and the pre Trip speech is lots of fun. Bono's talks before One Tree Hill- going over Greg Carroll then asking us to remember our own losses and sometimes dedicating it to a time or location appropriate loss have been very resonant. These talks actually remind me of the ones I hear on 80s bootlegs.

Sigh. I'm watching Mysterious Ways from Dublin 1993 08-28 on youtube ... maybe the most spine-tingling live rock song ever recorded, hehe, and now I feel guilty for joking that some people wish Mr. B would just STFU.

Pfft. The man can say whatever he wants. I'd say he's earned it.

i just saw Manu Chao in concert - over 2.5 hours of continuous music - each song literally segued into the next - just amazing energy and NO jibber jabber!! insane energy and momentum - couldn't get him off stage - 4 encores later! man i was exhausted by the end of it :lol:

Interesting and well said, 387.

I've not really noticed a big difference in Bono's talking re: the amount - partly I think because there are times I've only seen one show a tour (UF thru ZOO TV) vs other tours 3 shows each (Elevation - 360) back to single shows (I+E, JT30). No Boy, Oct, Zooropa or POP shows. Not enough consistency to compare.

I usually run from 'i don't mind' to being into it, moved by it, etc.

The intent of connection is still there, and was one of 3 concert qualities mentioned in a Fall 1980 short review of their show at The Marquee Club (London) in a NYC based punk/new wave zine that caught my interest. (The other 2 qualities mentioned were anthemic songs, and ambition to keep at it.
The reviewer added; if these guys keep it together past their sophomore album, I predict they will make it to the Stadium Level (!) )

Interesting take on how people outside this USA are shocked how much support Trump still has (and how much support you experienced at various shows).

I haven't heard anything yet about what type of trump talk (besides the Exit video) has happened in Europe.

Hope fully I can catch a stream for one of the shows this week.

(and someone posts stuff as Klong or longer than I sometimes do! :D )

Last edited:
U2 Concerts Would Be Better If The Band Preached Less And Sang More

JULY 14, 2017 By Rebecca Kurson
A few weeks ago, Teju Cole wrote in the New York Times Magazine about two early 20th century photographers. The first was Edward S. Curtis, who shot Native Americans in their tribal clothes and posed them stiffly, looking at the camera with immobile nobility. The other photographer was Horace Poolaw, a member of the Kiowa tribe who took candid shots of people enjoying everyday life, such as his sister, in a dress typical for 1928, holding her dog and smiling a bit. The article raises some brilliant questions about how the outsider perceives and seeks to present the “other”, and how insiders portray the same idea.

I thought about Cole’s article as I watched last night’s U2 concert in New Jersey. Before the show, the screen showed a loop of poetry about immigrants, including “Puerto Rican Obituary” by Pedro Pietri (one gem of a couplet: the workers save “for broken english lessons/to impress the mister goldsteins”), and the audience had plenty of time to read them over and again, since the band didn’t come on stage until 9:30.

For much of the show, the band projected an earnest slideshow of Native Americans and other immigrants onto the screen. Those pictured were unsmiling, trudging down roads and living in shacks. This is U2’s version of what the immigrant experience looks like in America, and it’s all pretty bleak. But the message was muddled and totally unclear.

The album’s greatest songs—“Running to Stand Still” and “Red Hill Mining Town”—are about, respectively, heroin abuse and the death of a mining town. America is experiencing an explosive surge in opioid deaths, and the death of the steel and car industry has decimated cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit. It’s hard to understand how the relentless stream of grim portraits of immigrants connected to the songs themselves.

Perhaps the band meant to connect their “1987” album to current events—there were several references to the proposed border wall, with a frankly silly mash-up of old movies, a la HBO’s show “Dream On,” mocking the current President. How does any of this warmed-over political mishmash relate to the album?

Well, it just doesn’t. And it was an unwelcome distraction from a terrific idea: simply play the songs from a perfect album, in order, so fans old and new could revel in a sublime experience. Bands love to talk politics, and U2 always has. But their message was hopelessly muddled. Why would there be an anorexic-looking woman in a bikini dancing to a nicely upbeat version of “Trip Through Your Wires”? Several songs featured lovely desert landscapes—certainly more relevant and related to the album than a hodgepodge of needlepointed platitudes.

The U2 show opened with a small selection of U2’s greatest hits, from “Sunday Bloody Sunday” to “Pride.” Fair enough. Finally, they got to the heart of the matter, and so much of it was just great. They played the rarely performed “Red Hill Mining Town” and combined it with a symphonic explosion of horns, truly a dazzling display. But “With or Without You” was a hot mess of feedback and poorly-executed lyrics; Bono sounded tired more than once. They were tired, and at times it was like listening to a really good U2 cover band. There were no superlative moments, but it was often pure bliss to sing along to such beloved songs under the open sky, watching planes moving to and from Newark.

The Lumineers opened the show, and they looked amazing and sounded brilliant. They played their biggest hit, “Ho Hey,” right near the beginning, which was clever and a gentle reminder that they have a lot of terrific songs. The band (from Ramsey, NJ, woohoo) is led by Wesley Schultz, who has a great stage presence. They played with clarity and style. It’s likely they’ll be opening MetLife themselves in a few years.

The show closed with a short message from a Syrian girl, and that’s when fans started to leave. Fans have listened to and loved this album for 30 years. We just wanted to hear the album. We got a lecture, and now I’ve written one myself.

https://thefederalist.com/2017/07/14/u2-concerts-better-band-preached-less-sang/

What a dumb and very misinformed article that is. The author has no idea where the Trackdown video came from, nor did they remotely understand the original political context of The Joshua Tree.

Back
Top Bottom