Bono and Edge think Achtung Baby is their best album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Soulrock2

The Fly
From Blender:
“Without sounding totally phony,” Bono says, “I think this might be our second best — if not our best — album. It’s up there with Achtung [Baby]. It had to be. You can’t live like this and put out a crap album or else people are going to want to shoot you.”

Four years ago Edge also said in Dutch magazine OOR that AB was their best album in his opinion. Anyone knows what Larry and Adam think?

P.S. I know Edge said something about how you cannot prefer one child to another on this forum, but I'm quite positive he called AB their best in OOR Magazine four years ago.

Its hard to say, both JT and AB are masterpieces, but I usually find myself reaching for AB more than the JT.

So I'll agree with them.

I wonder which album they dislike the most.

I don't think it is their best. However, I guess it is just my opinion. I like the album it is one of the best but it wasn't as good as JT. I am surprised they don't look at JT as their true masterpiece. It isn't my top album but it was their masterpiece album in my opinion.

Great review of the album from The Sun

Victoria Newton

IT is the most hotly-anticipated album of the year — and it’s as explosive as its title.

U2’s How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb goes back unashamedly to what the band do and love best — anthemic, majestic, triumphant rock and roll.

Setting their stall out as they mean to continue, first single Vertigo, out on November 8, is big, angry and jagged. Thrusting guitars drive it along at a relentless pace and set the tempo for the rest of the tracks.

These include Miracle Drug, best song on the album, Original Of The Species, second best, Crumbs From Your Table and City Of Blinding Lights — both of which are polished, epic numbers reminiscent of material from The Joshua Tree.

While these songs are the keystone of U2’s 11th studio album, they’re not what How To Dismantle is all about. Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own is a touching ballad.

And for fans of the work BONO did with BRIAN ENO on the PASSENGERS’ Soundtracks album, One Step Closer is a beautiful, electronic, ambient number.

Of course, Bono’s political views creep in On Love And Peace Or Else and Yahweh — the Hebrew word for God — but they never get in the way of the great music. The album is a return to form for Dublin’s finest — but then being off form is something U2 just don’t do.

The quality here is bound to send CHRIS MARTIN into a spiral of paranoia about COLDPLAY’s forthcoming release.

How To Dismantle will be released on November 22.

I give it 11 out of 10.

sorry, cseggleton, I just posted The Sun's review of HTDAAB in "Where the Album has a Name" without knowing that you just posted it here! :ohmy:

I'm sorry - I hope no one thinks I stole your idea (because I didn't) :wink:

Although I agree that AB probably is U2's best ROCK album yet, I still consider albums like UF and ATYCLB (yes, I actually like that album) to be more to my liking.

Songs that I can listen to which comfort and challenge me without always blowing out my eardrums. :laugh:

Although I am looking forward to HTDAAB.

I want U2 to show the world that at those middle age years, they can still rock the house even better than people half their age! :up:

I guess that's because I have been following U2 for 23 years and still love a GOOD Rock song.

And HTDAAB will be a ROCKIN' GOOD ALBUM IN HIGH VOLUME from U2. :yes:

YOU GIVE ME SOMETHING I CAN FEEL....:adam: :larry: :edge: :bono: :love:

cseggleton said:

The quality here is bound to send CHRIS MARTIN into a spiral of paranoia about COLDPLAY’s forthcoming release.

:lmao:

Earnie Shavers said:
Bono & The Edge have good taste!

Achtung Baby is the best thing ever recorded by anyone.

It's funny how I was going through all the albums last night, and when I put in AB, I thought the same thing!

While I will always be partial to Boy, AB blows me away!!

:dance:

That's great news, because Acthung Baby is the greatest album ever recorded!!! I think its also a good sign for the new CD, because Bono isnt like "this is our best album yet..." we havent heard that one before. :eyebrow: But if he's like "it might up there with AB..." I like that comparison.

Bono and Edge know what's up. AB is their best. :yes:

If this new album really is at the same level of Achtung, Baby, I will just die! :drool:

I'd have to agree with Bono and Mr. Edge. JT is quite wonderful but suffers with the presence of BTBS, RHMT, and TTYW. I actually like those songs on their own, but they break with the tone and feel of the rest of the album.

AB doesn't have a track like that, at least to me. People bag on WGRYWH and TTTYAATW, but they're still part of a whole. It's just a more cohesive work, IMO.

Tryin' is one of my favorite songs from Achtung Baby. IMO, it sounds perfect following Mysterious Ways.

I remember reading somewhere that Larry's favorite U2 album is Achtung Baby. The following quote would tend to confirm that ... :hmm:

I don't think the lyrics are worth a shit, to be honest. I think it's all about drums. -- Larry, on "Achtung Baby"

Achtung Baby was their best album, hands down.

Even the band has to admit it. And since Bono says this one's another Achtung, he's got my attention.

I also think it's encourgaging that they compare it to Achtung Baby instead of just saying "it's our best!" They have always said its their best when a new album comes out. But THIS, this sticks their necks out by being specific.

intedomine said:
I dunno if i was dreaming but i heard that Adam was big fan of October.

Propaganda, Issue 3, August 01, 1986

Adam's responses to questions, (if you want the link to the full Q&A, let me know and I'll post it. )

PERSONAL FAVORITE:
U2 TRACK: "Bad"
U2 ALBUM: October
U2 GIG: Last gig of a tour -- every time

------------

"It's a great record."--(Adam about "October" from the mid 80's, but can't remember which book I got it from) :shrug:

In a more recent interview/chat transcript, he said Achtung Baby was his favourite.

Last edited:
Achtung Baby is the best album ever by any band.

Zooropa is the second best album ever by any band.

Revolver (The Beatles) is third, but Zooropa is way far ahead...

Back
Top Bottom