Bono and Ali at dinner last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but Ouizy is clearly a fan so why not divulge that info to him. I got the impression that Brian knew this or at least sensed it. I really don't think he is giving this info to just anyone.. I have seen Brian (and John for that matter) act differently around certain people than others. Especially at U2 shows and outside or around the venues and other events.

Why am I the only one questioning the authenticity of this story? With all due respect to Ouizy, this story is almost too perfect . . . too many idealistic plot twists. Forget the fact that the bodyguard supposedly called out his client (which I'm sure is the FIRST thing you learn NOT to do in bodyguard school), but then Ouizy supposedly gets seated right next to Bono and Ali (who was looking absolutely beautiful as she gazed in Bono's eyes) and watched them whisper sweet nothings in each other's ears all night while enjoying a nice meal of red win and fish??

If it's true, then it's fantastic. But I'll remain the one and only skeptic for the time being.

Simply put, I have absolutely no reason to lie.

More to the point, if someone were to post the story I did who maybe had 3 posts on this website, or say just 57 like you, I also might be wary. However, I have over 3,300 posts, have written articles here, and have shared almost every tidbit of my lifelong U2 experience (over 25 years) with friends here ranging from meeting the Edge outside Irving Plaza, to spray painting quotes from One Tree Hill on the wall of Windmill Lane studios in Dublin, to sitting and having tea with Mark Fisher at his flat in London. Now you can argue that I have made all of this up, but that would really defeat the purpose of this community, and moreso this subcategory of "Band Meetings and Sightings."

If I said I walked over and squeezed the lemon on Bono's fish, I would also think the story strange.

However I didn't.

I did very much think Brian's behavour was out of the ordinary for a bodyguard, thus the part of me not believeing him until I actually saw Bono, but to be honest, my wife and I look like the farthest thing from threats, and given the clientele and price of entry to this restaurant, I think he was put at ease. Put it this way, there were people eating dinner there that night who could buy and sell Bono many times over.

I really just posted this as it was a memorable night in my life, and yet another chapter of my connection to this band.

I took your bait - I replied, and now I hope you are satisfied - when you have an experience like this, I would love to read about it.

Thank you Joyfulgirl.

thanks ouizy for the post. Maybe this will put to rest people who are questioning this or Brian's behavior. After meeting Brian this doesn't surprise me however if this was the first time I had met him, yeah I would definitely question why he would be so forthcoming. I think you are right, one you don't look like a loon (aka threat), two you are in a high class/clientele type of restaurant this makes better sense. Trust me I have been around here as long as you and know of you and your rep here. I never had any reason to doubt anything you said.

I don't doubt your story, I was only questioning Brian's behaviour, and as you have said yourself you were also surprised at how open he was towards you when you first met him. As I said, I hope Brian - or any other bodyguard - knows his job well enough to have a good judgement about people. I know a thing or two about bodyguards and personal security, and it's highly uncommon for them to simply say: Yeah, that's my client over there, just look at him. That's just what I was a little concerned about, I wasn't doubting your story.

last unicorn, i completely agree with you.:up:

That's all I better say.:wink:

That is a really great story! :up: It's good that you didn't interrupt Bono and Ali's date.

The bodyguards who seem to be so open with strangers could be giving out false information sometimes. I'm not saying he was in this case, but that could be true in other instances. They could throw people off of Bono's "trail." But he must have felt like the environment and people were safe enough for him to point out Bono, especially since it sounds like a ritzy-type place and not McDonald's or something.

:drool:

I also think they try and get to know if people could be a threat by chatting with them.

LC :hug:

True JC. :up: Their main trait of being a bodyguard is to have acute sense of people and to be able to pick up on anything strange, or of a threat to their bosses. I am sure the environment that they are in at the time factors into what they sense as a threat or not as well. Brian and John have a clear sense of this and I am sure it's based on many things.

Wonderful story! I had my doubts when I saw the title of this thread, but I'm glad I read it. Thanks Ouizy.

One question that comes to my mind is what happened to the whole "I walk around with no bodyguards" comment that Bono made on 60 minutes? When did bodyguards come into play? Did he mean he doesn't walk around with them in FRANCE? Just wondering...I personally think it would be naive not employ some kind of protection when you are a star of that magnitude, but what do I know? The most protection I carry around with me is a stick of gum, toothpick, a broken suit button, and some pocket lint. Of course some MacGyver fans would argue that I'm packing major heat with THAT array of tools but I beg to differ :)

I don't doubt your story, I was only questioning Brian's behaviour, and as you have said yourself you were also surprised at how open he was towards you when you first met him. As I said, I hope Brian - or any other bodyguard - knows his job well enough to have a good judgement about people. I know a thing or two about bodyguards and personal security, and it's highly uncommon for them to simply say: Yeah, that's my client over there, just look at him. That's just what I was a little concerned about, I wasn't doubting your story.

regardless of the facts of the story, i find it distressing that staff who work for the band are subjects of scrutiny on these boards. perhaps celebrities are fair game for drooling over or criticizing, and we can speculate about whether they are doing their jobs well based on the music they make--but it seems unfair to indict those who aren't even trying to be in the public eye. if he was generous to a fan and the details of that conversation got posted on the internet (which in itself would be enough to make anyone in his position less likely to want to chat with fans, one would think), it doesn't seem appropriate to question whether he "knows his job well enough." I'd imagine his employers have determined that he does.

^OMG... she emerges from the ashes..:ohmy:

where have you been ??????????????? missed ya lady!:wave:

and yes, I completely agree with you here. I think his bosses made quite the effort to pick him out as a appropriate person for the job.. No question about considering who he is working for. I really hope that he and john continue to be as nice as they are to us fans cuz it really makes us feel connected and it's just great to meet them and have such cool conversations with them. I would hate to see this change..

^OMG... she emerges from the ashes..:ohmy:

where have you been ??????????????? missed ya lady!:wave:

and yes, I completely agree with you here. I think his bosses made quite the effort to pick him out as a appropriate person for the job.. No question about considering who he is working for. I really hope that he and john continue to be as nice as they are to us fans cuz it really makes us feel connected and it's just great to meet them and have such cool conversations with them. I would hate to see this change..

:wave:

No need to overreact.

I'd rather see Bono well protected than the bodyguards being nice to fans, because it's not their job to be nice. If they are, good for them and good for the fans, it's a bonus. But some fans seem to forget that they are there to protect their clients not to help the fans meet them or to entertain the fans.

A friend of mine works in personal security so I do know some stuff about bodyguards. And I think it's fair enough to worry about Bono, a person I care about, and not to take everything and anything without critisism. No, I don't think it's unfair to do so.

I'm sure there are a lot of people out there that are not as nice and harmless as us fans but who can easily pretend to be in order to get close to a famous person.

Ruff!!!! :hug: Hey stranger!! :wave: I thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth!

Well, I'm going to briefly wade into this as well. LU, I don't see any of the comments as an overreaction. I fully agree with what Ruffian said. And I'm really uncomfortable reading about people judging a possible conversation that they were not a part of. It's really unfair to judge a persons ability to do their job in this way. We all know the risks that are out there for celebrities and the like. Hey, I know people who've worked in personal security too - my ex brother in law...but it doesn't mean that I judge differently because of that. I'm very uncomfortable with reading some of the comments here about what Brian 'may' have said or done. He's not U2. He's paid to do a job which I'm sure he does well, or he wouldn't be there at all. Let's leave judgements about him out of this, and stick to enjoying the band, before things get blown out of proportion. :wink:

I don't know why people are getting in a tizz about this. Course there's gonna be speculation over the story. It's the bleedin internet, after all....

Ruff!!!! :hug: Hey stranger!! :wave: I thought you'd dropped off the face of the earth!

Well, I'm going to briefly wade into this as well. LU, I don't see any of the comments as an overreaction. I fully agree with what Ruffian said. And I'm really uncomfortable reading about people judging a possible conversation that they were not a part of. It's really unfair to judge a persons ability to do their job in this way. We all know the risks that are out there for celebrities and the like. Hey, I know people who've worked in personal security too - my ex brother in law...but it doesn't mean that I judge differently because of that. I'm very uncomfortable with reading some of the comments here about what Brian 'may' have said or done. He's not U2. He's paid to do a job which I'm sure he does well, or he wouldn't be there at all. Let's leave judgements about him out of this, and stick to enjoying the band, before things get blown out of proportion. :wink:

The thought of Brian being possibly misjudged makes you feel more uncomfortable than the thought of something happening to Bono because he's not taken care of properly? I don't get it.

I've never said they're not doing their job well, I hope they do, I just tried to express my personal feelings over this issue, and anyone's security, especially if they're that famous, IS a serious issue for me, while some of you are clearly trying to downplay it.

The thought of Brian being possibly misjudged makes you feel more uncomfortable than the thought of something happening to Bono because he's not taken care of properly? I don't get it.

:huh: Um no, I didn't say that at all, and it's totally not what I was talking about. At the end of the day I respect that U2's management would take Bono & the bands security issues seriously, and wouldn't have anyone incapable of doing their job properly hanging around as long as their security guys have.

I never said they're not doing their job well, I hope they do, I just tried to express my personal feelings over this issue, and anyone's security, especially if they're that famous, IS a serious issue for me, while some of you are clearly trying to downplay it.

No one's trying to downplay anything, most are just trying to keep things in their right perspective. It's obviously a serious issue for YOU. I respect that, as I respect there are people out there paid specifically to take care of these things. They do it well 99% of the time, and I've seen U2's security in action myself around obvious, and not so obvious weirdo's. It's not up to US to judge from the outside, based on perceptions we have from a conversation/encounter that someone else had. Think of it this way (and this is in NO reflection of the OP), 'Joe Bloggs casually says "hey that girl looks pretty" to a guy standing at the bar next to him 'Peter Piper'. Peter Piper goes back and tells his friends "That guy at the bar said he wants to take that girl home and :censored: her etc". Friends turn around and say "Ew, what a sleaze, how gross is he!".....Joe Bloggs is actually a really nice guy with no 'sleazy' thoughts at all and has been totally misjudged by people who know nothing about him:shrug: I know it's a really bad example, but maybe it helps you see how I've read this thread... :shrug:

No one minds anyone expressing personal feelings, and I respect that this is a huge issue for you personally, but I really don't think it needs to be rehashed over and over again each time some one else posts their own opinion on it. :wink:

Let's just agree to disagree over this and let this thread get back on track. If you stand back and look at it, it's a little hilarious to be arguing over stuff we really have no real idea about! :giggle: :up:

OK. I just wanted to be clear about the situation, I wasn't doubting the OP, I was just expressing my concern about security issues because of the interaction with the bodyguard that left ME feeling slightly uncomfortable. I know I wasn't there and didn't see it in person, this was just my personal feeling.

If everything is fine and Bono is taken care of well, there's no problem and I'm glad. There can't be 100% security anway, everything can happen anytime.

There are run-ins, and there are run-ins.

This was a good one.

I know I haven't been around here for a while, but I figured if any group of people might like to hear this it would be on Interference.

My wife and I went to dinner last night to our favorite Greek restaurant and we sat right next to Bono and Ali. That is the punchline - the build-up is better.

We said hello to the host who always helps us and she said that our table would be ready in about 10 minutes and that we should have a drink at the bar. This usually pisses me off, but since we already had a few drinks in us, what was one more?

We went to the bar and had to stand, but there was one kind of gruff looking young guy sitting at the bar on a stool that he kept trying to offer my wife. We kept refusing and he finally sat back down. My wife and I stood and talked for a bit when he finally said to us, "Hey guys, I do not mean to be rude, but if you see me staring between you, I am not trying to listen to your conversation but rather I am a bodyguard and I need to have direct sight of my client at all times." This obviously piqued my interest and I looked around but could not see anyone famous in clear view. I figured he was either watching a politician I did not recognize, or he was full of crap.

In any event we started talking to this guy who had an accent, but as the restaurant was rather noisy I could not make it out. I said, "Hey where are you from - Greece?" He said, "No Ireland" and then I heard the accent clearly. My wife and I did not want to push and ask who he was here to watch, but our curiosity got the better of us. I said, "Are you protecting someone who is Irish?" He gave a smirk and said yes. I replied, "Well right now there are about 5 very famous Irish guys you would be here for, and four of them are in a band." Again he smirked. My wife finally cut through our crap and said, "Is Bono here?" He smiled and said yes. I almost dropped my drink.

We kept talking to the guy and out of nowhere he said, "Wait until you hear the new album." I said, "Really? you have heard some - I heard they had 50 or 60 parts of songs recorded." He said they do and it is going to blow me away. At this point I still had my doubts about this chap so I said, "Excuse me, I am going to go up to the host and see if our table is almost ready." I walked away (leaving my wife with him, probably not the nicest thing to do) and went to the host station - looking in the direction the guy was constantly looking and bingo there sat Ali and Bono. As I walked away I heard my wife say, "I actually like the Edge better - I have a crush on him" and the guy said "Yeah he is the cooler one."

The host said our table was ready, but was in a quiet part of the restaurant and pointed to the table next to Bono's and asked if that was OK - I think I actually slurred my words when I said yes of course. I went back, got my wife and tried to buy the bodyguard a drink. He said no, but thank you anyway and asked where we were sitting, I said, "Next to your boss."

The way our two tables were laid out my seat was immediately facing Bono and it was really hard to not stare. I actually felt like I had to conciously look away. I mean not 6 feet in front of me sat the one person who has been the most consistent part of my life aside from my immediate family. I have listened to him speak, sing, and grow up for the past 25+ years. It was really something.

Ali is absolutely gorgeous.

She is very skinny and looks much younger in person than some photos lead you to believe. They looked like a really really happy couple and were canoodleing, and kissing at the table - it was very cute. Again - we tried not to stare, but there were a few times I looked up and he was looking right at me. Now, without sounding strange, I have to say it was hard to describe that moment. I mean I have gone to too many shows to count and have sat everywhere from the front row to the rafters, but to sit there and basically look Bono in the eye and not say something to him...

I really considered getting up and saying something to them, or buying them a bottle of wine (that they were drinking) but did not want to be that person. What could I possibly have said, it would have totally interrupted them and they were having such a good time.

They ate and then got their bill which really brought them down to earth. It was actually really strange seeing Ali grab the check and pay. The bodyguard told us he was at Madison Square Garden during the day to see Madonna do her soundcheck, and I think Bono and Ali went to her show last night after dinner.

They got up, gave the waitress a double kiss, Bono threw on his army hat and they were off.

10 minutes later I said to the waitress, "You are still smiling." She replied that they are always at that restaurant, and that they are the nicest people in the world.

It was a great night.

:wave:

:wave::applaud: THAT is a wonderful story and really made my day. Thanks for sharing. It's nice there are fans around who are as classy as yourself and your wife who can act mature and normal when beside celebrities like Bono. I'm sure you are the kind of fans those celebs really truly appreciate!

This is a sweet story and kudos to the original poster for not bothering Bono and Ali and letting them have their private time. I'm guessing some of the stuff Brian may have said was embellished a bit by this person, but that's just how people are. The important thing is that U2's security is highly professional and would never put their client at risk by devulging private information. In fact many times, security will throw people off. Didn't Brian tell Ouizy that he would be in NYC for another week? Yet he's in California now. I don't think security's professionalism should be questioned on this board or anywhere else.

This is a sweet story and kudos to the original poster for not bothering Bono and Ali and letting them have their private time. I'm guessing some of the stuff Brian may have said was embellished a bit by this person, but that's just how people are. The important thing is that U2's security is highly professional and would never put their client at risk by devulging private information. In fact many times, security will throw people off. Didn't Brian tell Ouizy that he would be in NYC for another week? Yet he's in California now. I don't think security's professionalism should be questioned on this board or anywhere else.

Good point.

As I was asking the question I was wondering myself why he would tell me how long they would be in town for. I took 'one week' as either they are gone tomorrow, they will be here for a month, or actually none of your business.

Interesting how this thread has adapted into a question of a bodyguard's actions.

I thought I would get more of a reaction when I said they were eating fish with red wine.

Clearly a no-no, but due to his allergies...

Any of us who have ever met or seen Brian in action - whether it be at a show, or during a meet and greet - he leaves no doubt whatsoever that he knows what he's doing, and any band member or their families are quite safe in his hands. He's a pro, and is quite capable of judging when it's okay to let down his guard a bit and have a friendly chat.

Great story, ouizy. :up:

Any of us who have ever met or seen Brian in action - whether it be at a show, or during a meet and greet - he leaves no doubt whatsoever that he knows what he's doing, and any band member or their families are quite safe in his hands. He's a pro, and is quite capable of judging when it's okay to let down his guard a bit and have a friendly chat.

Great story, ouizy. :up:

Brian remembered me from Philadelphia a month later in New York. For him to remember with all the people he had met in between is a real talent. :up:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom