Bomb v Stadium arcadium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaz02

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Can we compare weekly sales of RHCP stadium arcadium to u2's bomb ?

i think Sa be this years biggest seller.

vaz02 said:
Can we compare weekly sales of RHCP stadium arcadium to u2's bomb ?

i think Sa be this years biggest seller.

BOMB sold nearly 2 million copies in its first week and over 800,000 copies of that were from the United States. RHCP looks set to sell less than half those numbers. I don't think stadium arcadium will be this years biggest seller, and I doubt it will sell in numbers that would make it competitive with BOMB.

both 200k + in UK 1st week
but US U2 850000, RHCP set to sell 400k.
and i always thought they were bigger in the US than the UK.

P.S. the new RHCP single IMO is nothing special, and yet again similar to all their others. it's certainly no Vertigo

When I was living in London I found, per capita, more RHCP fans than in the US. Their mid-tempo songs register more sonically and lyrically in the UK. I think it has something to do with the weather =)
Since it's a double album, do they get credit for 2 album sales each purchase?

blueyedpoet said:
When I was living in London I found, per capita, more RHCP fans than in the US. Their mid-tempo songs register more sonically and lyrically in the UK. I think it has something to do with the weather =)
Since it's a double album, do they get credit for 2 album sales each purchase?

When RIAA certifies the album, they will get the credit for the second disk, but its not a reflection of the number of people who have actually bought the album. That is why the IFPI in Europe and other certifying organizations do not count both disc in the package.

Here in the United States, only 3 RHCP shows have soldout on the new tour in arena's. Canada has soldout most of theirs but not all. I'd say Coldplay is definitely the more popular band worldwide based on album sales and ticket sales currently.

RHCP certainly compete with U2 in terms of radio airplay - often surpassing U2 in the US. They are definitely one of the biggest rock radio acts today, with everything they release shooting up the charts. However, they have never been able to compete with U2 in terms of album sales or tours.

The first week sales for this album (about 450K) are huge for them. If they can keep spitting out singles as popular as Dani California, the album could potentially outsell HTDAAB in the US. Not predicting it to happen but it is certainly possible considering the rumors of them releasing 7 singles.

ybird3k said:
both 200k + in UK 1st week
but US U2 850000, RHCP set to sell 400k.
and i always thought they were bigger in the US than the UK.

P.S. the new RHCP single IMO is nothing special, and yet again similar to all their others. it's certainly no Vertigo
The Bomb has outsold easily SA in USA, but Stadium Arcadium sold more in other countries than the Bomb, it sold for example 139000 copies in Japan and 120000 in Italia.
They are also #1 in Germany, Switzerland, France (39k), Netherland, Canada (64k) and a lot more places.

It will not at all sold as well as the Bomb in his first week thought.

The biggest selling album of the year will certainly be "Back To Bedlam" and not Stadium Arcadium.

PS : Yeah "Dani California" is a real disapointment, but the album is very consistant yet with many good songs, DC is a bad choice of single.

Bomb vrs S.A 1st week sales so far...

Bomb
USA : 842,930
UK : 200,863
Japan : 84,000
Germany : 130,000
France : 90,000
Italy : ? (350k in 1st few wks)
Canada : 95,000
Australia : 48,000
Total = 2,000,000 (incl. Jap, 1.854m at MediaTraffic)

Stadium Arcadium
USA : 443,088
UK : 202,499
Japan : 139,000
Germany : ?
France : 39,000
Italy : 120,000 (really ?)
Canada : 64,000
Australia : ?
Total = ? (i reckon about 1.4m)

S.A has the disadvantage of being a double album (so costs more) & being released in the middle of the year (when album sales are lower). Still, i very much doubt it could do 2m...1.5m at most.

ps - U2 win again with total sales for their previous 2 albums (28m to 23m) though Best Of 80-90 perhaps has the advantage, over Californication, of being just that (a Best Of collection) :

ATYCLB : 12,000,000 (1.1m UK, 4.2m US)
By The Way : 8,000,000 (1.9m UK, 1.9m US)

Best Of 80-90 (both versions) : 16,000,000 (1.8m UK, 4.2m US)
Californication : 15,000,000 (1.1m UK, 5.2m US)

Last edited:
MJDangerous said:

Californication sold 1 million copies in Italia.

I heard 700k... anyway i think BTW's only done 300k so 120k seems v.high (esp. with just 39k in France).

Last edited:
I think Dani California is an awesome song. Not the most original song in the world (neither was Vertigo), but it's a rocker, it's catchy, and the video is fun. I think a straightforward song like DC is perfect to get the RHCP on the radio right off the bat, and therefore on people's minds. This will pave the way for the wide variety of potential, and perhaps more ambitious single material on the album.

I'm not going to give an opinion on which album is better, cause I know this is a sales comparison thread.

edge3 said:

I heard 700k... anyway i think BTW's only done 300k so 120k seems v.high (esp. with just 39k in France).
Red Hot Chili Peppers are not so huge in France. Surprisingly SA is only their first #1 here and Californication sold half in France than in Italia.

700k sales figure was the sales of the album Californication in Italia during the 18 first months only as well as 300k sales figure of BTW concern only the 6 first months.

bsp77 said:
RHCP certainly compete with U2 in terms of radio airplay - often surpassing U2 in the US. They are definitely one of the biggest rock radio acts today, with everything they release shooting up the charts. However, they have never been able to compete with U2 in terms of album sales or tours.

The first week sales for this album (about 450K) are huge for them. If they can keep spitting out singles as popular as Dani California, the album could potentially outsell HTDAAB in the US. Not predicting it to happen but it is certainly possible considering the rumors of them releasing 7 singles.

Radio Airplay means nothing if it does not translate into large sales. Radio Airplay is determined by many factors other than just what the population wants to hear on the radio. Sales of tickets and albums though are determined totally by the choices of the population. That is what really counts and determines popularity.

They may have a shot at outselling the BOMB in the United States, but I doubt they will be able to equal it worldwide. Whats more, RHCP are a veteran group with 9 studio albums and career that goes back to 1983, but their current Arena tour in the USA has only soldout 3 shows at ticket prices that are half of U2's. I thought demand to see them live at this point would be a lot higher.

STING2 said:
Here in the United States, only 3 RHCP shows have soldout on the new tour in arena's. Canada has soldout most of theirs but not all. I'd say Coldplay is definitely the more popular band worldwide based on album sales and ticket sales currently.

i wouldnt say ticket sales though. im sure coldplay would never be able to complete a sell out tour even if they go on for 20 years.

btw how many shows are RHCP playing to this year and how will that rate against some of the other tours this year. In the Uk they seem to be playing at a couple of medium sized stadiums.

vaz02 said:

i wouldnt say ticket sales though. im sure coldplay would never be able to complete a sell out tour even if they go on for 20 years.

btw how many shows are RHCP playing to this year and how will that rate against some of the other tours this year. In the Uk they seem to be playing at a couple of medium sized stadiums.

Coldplay soldout several medium sized stadium shows in the UK last year, and Coldplay did sellout several shows on their tour of large amphitheaters in North America in 2005, and their return dates in January and February in Arena's. The average ticket price on their arena shows in January and February is equal to what RHCP are charging for their new arena tour. At best, it appears that the RHCP are only equal to Coldplay in selling tickets, at least in North America. If RHCP can't sellout some of these shows in large cities eventually, then Coldplay is definitely ahead of them in this area.

U2 soldout "multiple" arena shows in the same city on the Unforgettable Fire tour. The RHCP 20 years later are struggling to sellout "single" Arena shows in large cities.

I find it surprising that the current number of arena shows in the United States did not sellout, even in most large cities. Most cities only have one show. Many of these shows may eventually sellout, depending on whether or not the Chili Peppers attempt to sell seats behind the stage.

Looking at album & single sales alone Chili Peppers are way bigger in UK than US since Californication (BTW's sold the same, 1.9m = to 6xPlat in UK, Greatest Hits more).

MJDangerous said:

700k sales figure was the sales of the album Californication in Italia during the 18 first months only as well as 300k sales figure of BTW concern only the 6 first months.

350k in ' 99 for Calif. + another 350k in ' 00... it's still 7xPlat (= 700k)...1m is now poss i s'pose (in UK it was still certified 1xPlat with sales of 900k+ for a long time)...

BTW did 150k in ' 03...it's still 3xPlat (= 300k) though i guess it too could now be well above that (450-500k)...

Right now @UKMIX 120k does indeed seem to be the 1st week Italy figure - impressive. I'm sure Bomb must have done a similar amount though.

edge3 said:

ps - U2 win again with total sales for their previous 2 albums (28m to 23m) though Best Of 80-90 perhaps has the advantage, over Californication, of being just that (a Best Of collection) :

ATYCLB : 12,000,000 (1.1m UK, 4.2m US)
By The Way : 8,000,000 (1.9m UK, 1.9m US)

Best Of 80-90 (both versions) : 16,000,000 (1.8m UK, 4.2m US)
Californication : 15,000,000 (1.1m UK, 5.2m US)

I actually forgot about Best Of 90-00 & Greatest Hits...well i'd put them both on about 5m :

Best Of 90-00 : 5m (3.063m MediaTraffic, 2m IFPI Europe, 1m US, 850k UK, definitely shipped over 6m - most likely about 6.3m)
Greatest Hits : 5m (3.631m MediaTraffic, 2m IFPI Europe, still certified Gold for 500k in US, 1m UK)

Last edited:
STING2 said:

Coldplay soldout several medium sized stadium shows in the UK last year, and Coldplay did sellout several shows on their tour of large amphitheaters in North America in 2005, and their return dates in January and February in Arena's. The average ticket price on their arena shows in January and February is equal to what RHCP are charging for their new arena tour. At best, it appears that the RHCP are only equal to Coldplay in selling tickets, at least in North America. If RHCP can't sellout some of these shows in large cities eventually, then Coldplay is definitely ahead of them in this area.

U2 soldout "multiple" arena shows in the same city on the Unforgettable Fire tour. The RHCP 20 years later are struggling to sellout "single" Arena shows in large cities.

I find it surprising that the current number of arena shows in the United States did not sellout, even in most large cities. Most cities only have one show. Many of these shows may eventually sellout, depending on whether or not the Chili Peppers attempt to sell seats behind the stage.

Most bands haven't gone through what the chili peppers have gone through and come through. What U2 can do with selling out tours is really unique. Hell, the Aerosmith/Kravitz tour wasn't nearly as successful as the Vertigo tour. And those are two big names (well, Kravitz sucks now, but that's a Bang and Clatter discussion).
I foresee this album selling about 2 million in the states. Though I still can't figure out why they're skipping over LA. Maybe they'll do multiple legs.

It's a double album, it's more expensive, it will never sell as well as HTDAAB or a lot of other records. Tool's 10,000 Days sold more in it's first week compared to Stadium Arcadium.

ChargedVT said:
the 120k for Italy, could that be the amount SHIPPED? Because 120k in a market the size of Italy would be staggering.

Rather what i was thinking. I believe it's still now actually certified 1xPlat there which is now only equal to 80k. 120k would surely usually require a 2xPlat cert at least. & yes 120k is a staggering amount for Italy especially considering that's almost half of what their last main album - Greatest Hits - has done there overall (270-300k).

Still, no-one seems to have yet questioned the, i would think, fairly reliable source(s) @UKMIX.

ChargedVT said:
the 120k for Italy, could that be the amount SHIPPED? Because 120k in a market the size of Italy would be staggering.
Maybe, but Italy is a special country in Europe, in this country first week sales are way higher than in the other countries, like in Japan. Eros Ramazzotti's last effort sold 240k in it's first week.

SA seems to have top 24 countries at the moment, this is kinda impressive for a so expensive record. Even if they will sell much less than Coldplay or U2, they will earn nearly the same amount of money or even more.

MJDangerous said:

Maybe, but Italy is a special country in Europe, in this country first week sales are way higher than in the other countries, like in Japan. Eros Ramazzotti's last effort sold 240k in it's first week.

SA seems to have top 24 countries at the moment, this is kinda impressive for a so expensive record. Even if they will sell much less than Coldplay or U2, they will earn nearly the same amount of money or even more.

How much money they will make from album sales is dependent on their royalty rate which is unknown. U2 have the highest royalty rate in the industry for albums.

At Amazon, you can get the new Chili Peppers album for $11.96. HTDAAB is only 2 dollars cheaper at $9.97. Chili Peppers are giving their fans a bargain. Its essentially a double album at a single album price.

Last edited:
chilli's will have there first number 1 album in the US this week according to NME. That shocked me , i always thought they were succesful in the states especially on the modern rock charts.

vaz02 said:
chilli's will have there first number 1 album in the US this week according to NME. That shocked me , i always thought they were succesful in the states especially on the modern rock charts.

Modern Rock tracks chart is a small radio market, so success there does not necessarily mean your really popular. Still the Chili Peppers have had two albums from the past that sold bucketloads, BLOOD SUGAR SEX MAGIK sold 7 million copies and CALIFORNICATION sold 5 million copies in the United States. BY THE WAY only sold 1 million copies though.

STING2 said:
BY THE WAY only sold 1 million copies though.
It is certified 1xPlatinum but it sold 2 millions copies according to soundscan.

The new chart of Mediatraffic is online : 1.108.000 for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. This is really amazing with their "low" sales in USA and even in France.

Out of USA/UK it sold if I'm not wrong more or less the same amount of copies than X&Y, while Stadium Arcadium is a double album ! :ohmy:

I think Tell Me Baby will not really help sales, although it could bring some Blood fans to buy the album. However, I predict their third single (hopefully something like Slow Cheetah) will really help the album stay on the charts for a long time to come.

STING2 said:

How much money they will make from album sales is dependent on their royalty rate which is unknown. U2 have the highest royalty rate in the industry for albums.
Michael Jackson has the highest royalty rate : Estimated somewhere between 28% and 30%. Madonna is the highest for a female act with 19%.

About the RHCP I don't know, but it is likely to be at least as huge as Coldplay, because they are in the industry since much more time. The contract of Coldplay was probably signed before their second album or even their first album it should not be really great for Coldplay members.
But of course the most valuable contract of a band should be the one of U2 which is the most consistant seller since 20 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom