Bob Dylan - Tempest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have just listened to this once so far on the flight from Seattle. Can't wait to spend more time with it. (Although obviously I CAN wait, since it's been almost a week since that first listen.)

I was going to refrain from seeing Dylan again, but cheap tix at the Hollywood Bowl are only $35.

Most recent setlist (before Tempest was released, so no new songs):

1. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight (Bob on guitar)
2. Man In The Long Black Coat (Bob on guitar)
3. Things Have Changed (Bob grand piano)
4. Tangled Up In Blue (Bob on grand piano)
5. Tweedle Dee & Tweedle Dum (Bob on grand piano)
6. This Dream Of You
(Bob on grand piano and harp, Donnie on electric mandolin)
7. Honest With Me (Bob on grand piano)
8. Tryin' To Get To Heaven (Bob on grand piano and harp)
9. High Water (For Charley Patton)
(Bob center stage with harp then on grand piano, Donnie on banjo)
10. Visions Of Johanna (Bob on grand piano, Donnie on electric mandolin)
11. Highway 61 Revisited (Bob on grand piano)
12. Simple Twist Of Fate (Bob on guitar)
13. Thunder On The Mountain (Bob on grand piano)
14. Ballad Of A Thin Man (Bob center stage then on grand piano)
15. Like A Rolling Stone (Bob on grand piano)
16. All Along The Watchtower (Bob on grand piano)

(encore)
17. Blowin' In The Wind
(Bob on grand piano then center stage with harp, Donnie on violin)

Three songs from Love and Theft, one from Oh Mercy, two from Blood On The Tracks, and three from Highway 61. Plus Visions of Johanna.

Sounds good to me.

I've heard he's not very good live anymore? Mostly by virtue of his age, but I've heard plenty of negative reports. Ignores the crowd, mumbles through his songs, etc.

$35 is impossible to pass up though.

Saw him Sydney last year, was a great show. I'd seen him in the UK two years prior and he only repeated four songs, three of which were H61 staples. Got a similar set to the one Laz posted.

Like a Rolling Stone is transcendent live.

I did hear bad reports from the Byron Blues show, but mostly due to the fact he acted as if it was an indoor show.

The setlists are excellent right now, can't miss out on this shit. What I get will probably be a lot different from that but :panic: oh noez not awesome Tempest tracks :panic:

One thing that's lame is that the last 5 songs seem to be set in stone. Thunder, Ballad, Rolling, Watchtower, and Blowin'.

But I expect that to change once the tour picks up again next month. We should be seeing at least 3 tracks from the new album.

Overall depressing because sets seem to be a little shorter, Dylan playing less guitar, less variety.

Then again, look back through a couple weeks of shows and you'll see he's pulling out gems like Blind Willie McTell.

So I previewed the album Tempest and was impressed. I have some songs from Modern Times already but wondered what the concensus is for the best greatest hits collection from Bob Dylan. I know the big stuff but I don't own anything else.

Dylan Deathgrowled the Hits.

It was a weird gig. Cocktail jazz/blues versions of Desolation Row, All Along the Watchtower (sounds like Sultans of Swing) and Like a Rolling Stone sunk an otherwise fun blues gig. Lots of newer stuff, and it mostly all sounded good. I wish he'd just played Tempest all the way through, along with select blues favorites (Pill Box Hat, Tombstone Blues). Highway 61 sounded good.

Bob's voice is fucking horrible though. I can't believe how bad it is. It's never been worse.

I don't know. It was interesting. Not an amazing show by any stretch, but not horrible.

Pretty much I loved the songs I didn't know and hated my two favorite songs by him (that he played).

Our setlist:

Generic blues instrumental (pretty cool just to see Bob play guitar, it sounded like Pill Box, kinda)
To Ramona
Things Have Changed
Tangled Up in Blue
Blind Willie McTell
Make You Feel My Love
The Levee's Gonna Break
Desolation Row
Highway 61 Revisited
Forgetful Heart
Thunder on the Mountain
Ballad of a Thin Man
Like a Rolling Stone
All Along the Watchtower
Blowin' in the Wind

Not that I could tell what half the songs were.

I forgot to mention that Ballad of a Thin Man was probably the highlight. It fit in well with what they were trying to evoke with the lighting and overall sound.

Yeah, Ballad of a Thin Man was excellent. And seriously, I had a great time seeing him, and he seemed to be having a great time, dancing around and what not.

It was just a weird experience.

So, reposting from Random:

Has anyone heard Another Self Portrait yet? What an amazing collection. Too much to digest after first listening but I've been going back to Dylan's cover of the traditional "This Evening So Soon". Whopper of a track.

Not on YouTube so can't post it but this newest entry in the Bootleg series really deserves more discussion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erdB-JBX_r0

I did a test run the last two days, and had to make some final tweaks. As with my previous reconstruction, "Mo' Mercy", I tend to err on the side of more Dylan is better. Considering Time Out of Mind runs 72 minutes, I don't feel beholden to a more manageable length. And this album had a lot of worthy material.

Having said that, I did leave out a couple of tracks: Union Sundown, which was a late addition by Dylan (also excised by the guy who did the above-linked Mark Knopfler "Original Mix" reconstruction) and is pretty forgettable; Clean-Cut Kid, which just didn't do much for me; and Death Is Not The End, which would be reworked for Down In The Groove (one of Dylan's worst albums).

Not only did I add the fan favorites Blind Willie McTell and Foot Of Pride per the reconstruction, but a couple others that were found on the Bootleg Series Vol. 1-3 and a 2-disc set floating around called "Outfidel Intakes":

* Julius And Ethel, a political/historical rocker about the infamous Rosenberg spy case
* Tell Me, a charming ditty that has a bit of a countryish vibe
* Lord Protect My Child, slow bluesy number

For the most part, I used the Mark Knopfler mixes, but made a couple big changes: after giving the Original Mix of Jokerman a few test drives, I just don't feel the vocal and lyric is as good as the official release version. While the Original Mix does feel more organic as a whole, I'm not willing to sacrifice Dylan's own performance for the music. I also restored Sweetheart Like You to the track listing (omitted by the reconstruction guy because he thought it was "trite"), but with an alternate Knopfler mix instead of the album version. And while it was nice to hear in the reconstruction, I don't think the full band version of Blind Willie McTell has the haunting power of the starker version with just Dylan on piano and Knopfler on guitar found on the Bootleg series. So I changed that too.

I didn't mess around with track order too much aside from inserting the outtakes where they seemed to work best, much like the above reconstruction did.

Dylan-PhotoDiary.jpg

INFIDELITY

S1 (33:44)
Jokerman (official release)
Sweetheart Like You (Outfidels Intakes)
Neighborhood Bully (original Knopfler mix)
Someone's Got A Hold Of My Heart (original Knopfler mix)
Tell Me (Outfidels Intakes)
License To Kill (original Knopfler mix)
Blind Willie McTell (Bootleg Series vol. 1-3)

S2 (32:57)
Julius & Ethel (Outfidels Intakes)
Man Of Peace (original Knopfler mix)
Lord Protect My Child (Outfidels Intakes)
I And I (original Knopfler mix)
Foot Of Pride (original Knopfler mix)
Don't Fall Apart On Me Tonight (original Knopfler mix)

PM me if you'd like a link.

Back
Top Bottom