Bloc Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was blasting "This Modern Love" in my car the other night, before I crashed it :sad: , and I just keep being blown away by Matt's drumming.

To my untrained ear, the time signature changes at least 2 or 3 times during that song, AND the drum pattern changes at least 3 - 5 times during verses, bridges and choruses. God, I mean I know I don't read music or play or anything . . . . but his drumming is just so frickin' AMAZING to me!

A simple ballad like "This Modern Love" and Matt makes it SO much more interesting with just his drumming!

:drool:

Last edited:
The concert last night was great! The crowd went wild! I must confess I don't know them that well but everybody around me seemed to know all the lyrics! It was amazing! And Kele ran on the b-stage (and I was pratically smashed because I was on the second row from the b-stage) and everybody went crazy!
Unfortunately they didn't play I Still Remember, but that's ok;) it was fantastic anyway...

YES BLOC PARTY ARE COMING TO INDIANAPOLIS

seeing them two times in one year :drool: i'm so happy. I actually jumped and said YES!!! when I saw they were coming here :lol: I'll miss a guitar class for it but it'll be worth it...missing music for music... :wink:

and FitzChivalry, This Modern Love is one of Bloc Party's best songs, fo' sho :up: sorry about your car though...wrecks suck.

annie_vox said:
^^ How lucky you are!!! I'm completely converted to them now... I didn't find them that special before I saw them live but now I really do...

I'm tellin' ya - I've been to about 70 - 80 concerts in my day, and their show in San Diego, at that small, intimate little venue, was one of the Top 5 shows I've ever been to!

And Atomic - YAY! :D I'm really happy for you, but also a little jealous! I'd definitely go see them a 3rd time if I got the chance.

BTW, the estimate on my car came in today, $7,600!!! :yikes: :huh:

Well, all I've heard so far is the AWITC B-side collection which I downloaded from here. But I really like what I hear. I would love to see them live! I looked and they're playing Montreal in September but as part of the Osheaga Festival. They'll be in Toronto at the end of September so maybe I'll catch that show.

If anyone has Silent Alarm and/or AWITC can you please send me a link via PM? Thanks!

I don't listen to SRXT anymore. It's too nasty and depressing, so the album ends at Sunday for me....

BonoManiac said:

If anyone has Silent Alarm and/or AWITC can you please send me a link via PM? Thanks!

We-ellll...

I'll send you a couple great tracks from each album, as I think it's unfair to upload both of them in full. If this was Zeppelin or something I'd upload the whole discography without batting an eyelid. But Bloc Party are my favourite "new" band... I want to see them make some money so that they can stick around and make more records! :wink:

GibsonGirl said:
We-ellll...

I'll send you a couple great tracks from each album, as I think it's unfair to upload both of them in full. If this was Zeppelin or something I'd upload the whole discography without batting an eyelid. But Bloc Party are my favourite "new" band... I want to see them make some money so that they can stick around and make more records! :wink:

:lol:

and I agree

this band rocks

and they remind me of Rh a whole lot

and thats a good thing :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

We-ellll...

Ok I get it. Maybe I should change my name to Canadiens1122 or something?

Kidding, kidding :wink:

I understand what you mean and I fully intend to support them. Send me whatever you can—but I already have Banquet.

Thanks Steph! :rockon:

xaviMF22 said:

:lol:

and I agree

this band rocks

and they remind me of Rh a whole lot

and thats a good thing :wink:

they remind me of... I don't know. I've never heard anything like Song for Clay (Disappear Here). The backing vocals on that are so strange and amazing and the guitar part during "East London is a vampire..." is not expected in such a rock song

AtomicBono said:

they remind me of... I don't know. I've never heard anything like Song for Clay (Disappear Here). The backing vocals on that are so strange and amazing and the guitar part during "East London is a vampire..." is not expected in such a rock song

song for clay is amazing :drool:

and the best on Weekend...

xaviMF22 said:

one of the best...but I love Unform and Where is Home so much... and Hunting for Witches, and Waiting for the 7.18, and On, and ... really i love the whole album.

bloc party why does every song you make rock?

BonoManiac said:

Ok I get it. Maybe I should change my name to Canadiens1122 or something?

Kidding, kidding :wink:

I understand what you mean and I fully intend to support them. Send me whatever you can—but I already have Banquet.

Thanks Steph! :rockon:

Oh, I didn't send him Silent Alarm. I was just joking with him, I wasn't being serious.

I'm uploading your zip file right now! :)

xaviMF22 said:

Oh-ho! How our, how our parents suffered for NOTHING!
Live the dream, live the dream, live the dream like the 80's never HAPPENED!
People are afraid, are afraid to merge on the FREEWAY!
Disappear here

:rockon:

GibsonGirl said:

Disappear here

:rockon:

:drool: :drool:

love it :love:

you know what i love about bloc party? their lyrics don't rhyme. it's like, kele doesnt even care, hes so awesome he doesn't need to bother with that rhyming bullshit. I know there are other bands that don't rhyme but it is kind of unusual, and even though Bloc Party doesn't have the best lyrics they do have some interesting lines, and something about Kele's rhythm and melodies make it easy to remember the words even without rhymes (assuming you can understand him :wink: )

Me listening to Banquet:

zabba nabba la la nasjdklj gjdlkj gdj tooooo

CUZ I'M ON FIRE!
*sweet guitar line*
CUZ I'M ON FIRE!

AtomicBono said:
you know what i love about bloc party? their lyrics don't rhyme. it's like, kele doesnt even care, hes so awesome he doesn't need to bother with that rhyming bullshit. I know there are other bands that don't rhyme but it is kind of unusual, and even though Bloc Party doesn't have the best lyrics they do have some interesting lines, and something about Kele's rhythm and melodies make it easy to remember the words even without rhymes (assuming you can understand him :wink: )

The vocals are certainly bizzare. When I listened to AWITC for the first time, I read along with the lyric booklet. The lyrics are never vocalised the way you'd kind of expect them to be. Very unconventional, which I surprise makes Kele's vocal especially engaging.

Waiting For The 7.18 has a ripper of a lyric. So identifiable....

intedomine said:

The vocals are certainly bizzare. When I listened to AWITC for the first time, I read along with the lyric booklet. The lyrics are never vocalised the way you'd kind of expect them to be. Very unconventional, which I surprise makes Kele's vocal especially engaging.

Waiting For The 7.18 has a ripper of a lyric. So identifiable....

Word. Although his distinictive style on tracks like Banquet, is most entertaing, he does have a strong voice to sing normally with as well like on I Still Remember. But then again he has so many styles, anyone who read the lyrics to SRXT would never expect it to sound like it does when he sings it.

Also, their drummer is probably most impressive of any 2000's era band.

Here are some pictues of the show from last week. These two were the best ones ;) The others are just a blur...

IMG_7623.jpg

IMG_7621.jpg

GibsonGirl said:

Disappear here

I was SO HAPPY when I read the lyrics to Song For Clay (Disappear Here) for the first time. It's basically an homage to one of my favorite authors/novelists!

Song For Clay (Disappear Here) is a reference to Bret Easton Ellis and his work.

You may have heard of Ellis' first novel, Less Than Zero, and the opening line to Less Than Zero is: "People are afraid to merge on the freeway." :drool: And Clay is a character in the novel (or the brother of the main character, I can't remember, been a long time since I've read it).

In fact, I think Clay also appears in Ellis' second novel, The Rules Of Attraction, or maybe Clay's in his third novel, American Psycho. I can't remember now. I haven't read them in a while. Bret Easton Ellis is AWSEOME!

:bow: Just like Bloc Party! :rockon:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom