Bizarre Beheading Incident on a Bus In Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing is that many people didn't even realize he was being stabbed. Many people initially thought he was being punched. They thought it was just a brawl. I'm sure the shock of realizing what was going on was enough to cause people to panic and run. Who knows. Like I said before, I'm sure many are now replaying it in their minds and wondering themselves what they could've done differently, which is quite the burden to have to carry.. sadly. Someone mentioned before that the victim must have screamed, but the one merciful thing about this case is that he was sleeping. Given that the murderer (reportedly)stabbed him in the neck first, he probably just never woke up.

:slant:

Wow, that's just horrifying.

As someone who rides buses and trains regularly, I couldn't help but notice the lack of security involved. Sure, it would be quite a hassle to regulate, and one of the benefits of taking trains and buses is that it's just easier than the airport (no restrictions on luggage, fluids, etc.) That being said though, I don't see why they can't at least have metal detectors at these stations. There's really nothing stopping people from boarding with guns or knives.

I doubt I'll stop riding the bus, because, let's face it, anything can happen anywhere. But if there is a move to increase security a bit on these buses and trains, I'm all for it.

Let's hope this event doesn't set a precedent for similar horrific brain snaps......I geuninely fear that with the "freedom" people have to watch videos of such nasty scenes online and the publicity this murder has recieved, that it might inspire some sort of sicko following.....

Man beheads girlfriend on Greek island
Greek carried teacher's severed head around tourist destination, police say
Reuters
updated 4:45 p.m. ET, Sun., Aug. 3, 2008

ATHENS - A 31-year-old Greek beheaded his girlfriend and carried her head around the popular tourist island of Santorini before he was arrested, police said on Sunday.

The man, who police said had psychological problems, injured a police officer and two women while trying to escape arrest after killing the 25-year-old teacher in Greece's most picturesque island.

"He was walking around, carrying her head and telling the astonished villagers not to stop him," a police official told Reuters. "They knew he had psychological problems ... but they didn't expect he would reach this point."

The man knifed a policeman who tried to arrest him, stole a police car and crashed into a motorcycle injuring two women, before police ended his escape by ramming the car.

Tourism Minister Aris Spiliotopoulos vowed earlier this week to make Greek resorts safer after a spate of violent incidents at the peak of the tourist season.

Thank you for the article. It is obvious that the man mentioned above, also had severe psychological issues. But, you can't help but wonder. What were the warning signs?

A disturbing trend I have noticed is the widespread condemnation of the victim's fellow passengers. People are calling them "cowards" for exiting the bus and trapping the murderer inside, rather than subduing him. I know we all like to think that we would act quickly and heroically in that sort of situation, but unless you have experienced something like that for yourself, making that kind of judgement might be a tad unfair.

This disturbs me as well. I said to my mom yesterday, "honestly if I were on that bus I probably would have assumed that there was some sort of confrontation, that the two guys knew each other, I never would have guessed that one guy would lethally stab a sleeping stranger..."

I think getting everyone else off safely was the best thing to do. I haven't read that many new articles about this but my sis told me she read that the initial stab wounds were fatal (to the neck/throat? so he couldn't scream anyway?), there was nothing anyone could have done anyway short of preventing the initial stab wound. She also told me a truck driver stopped and helped contain the perp on the bus. It's not like no one did anything.

the eyewitness stated that he heard a scream behind him and turned around and saw him being stabbed. I know you can't say what you would do in that situation, but I just feel so sad for the guy. What a horrible way to go :( :(

Apparently it was the guy sitting next to them that screamed. The victim likely never knew what hit him.. :shrug:

^It's true that nobody was on the bus for the beheading, but it said in an article that he had stabbed him in the neck early on in the attack. So, I would imagine shock was a huge factor.

But you are also correct that it would take more than an attack right down the middle of a bus if it is man vs man with knife.

Has any report come out about what kind of mental disorder the killer has?

Nobody has definitively pointed to a diagnosis but it seems from anecdotal evidence that he is a paranoid schizophrenic (not surprising).

Did I read correctly that he also ate parts of his victim? :yikes:

Apparently this is true:

The Court was told yesterday that when he was arrested, Mr. Li was carrying a plastic bag containing a human nose, ear and part of a mouth, believed to be Mr. McLean's, and that police officers saw him hacking at and eating the corpse. During the ensuing standoff RCMP officers heard him say, "I have to stay on the bus forever."

Just when you think PETA can't actually sink any lower.

I completely agree....Tim was horribly killed and his family is going through a devastating time. PETA and those nut jobs from the Westboro Church. Just leave his family the hell alone!

Don't these people have any kind of compassion?

Not just PETA:

Members of a fanatical American church had also announced plans to travel north to protest at the funeral, saying the slaying was God's response to Canadian policies enabling abortion, homosexuality and adultery.

Fortunately, it doesn't look like they made it....

And which policies do we have which enables adultery? :hmm:

Update:

WINNIPEG — The family of a man who was beheaded on a Greyhound bus says his killer is "getting away with murder," but the judge who found him not criminally responsible for the "barbaric" slaying says the law doesn't unnecessarily punish the mentally ill.

Vince Li's attack on Tim McLean in Manitoba last summer was "grotesque" and "appalling," said Justice John Scurfield.

"However, the acts themselves and the context in which they were committed are strongly suggestive of a mental disorder," the judge said Thursday. "He did not appreciate the act he committed was morally wrong. He believed he was acting in self-defence and that he had been commanded by God to do so."

McLean's loved ones said the verdict has robbed them of closure and they feel the responsibility now falls to them to attend his yearly assessments to try to ensure Li is never released.

"He is getting away with murder," said McLean's older sister, Vana Smart. "He'll never have a criminal record. After the review board decides that he can be medically managed in the community, he can get a job in a daycare. He can cross the border.

"He'll never have this stigma attached to him ... He will be able to pursue his life as he pleases."

Both Crown and defence psychiatrists had testified at Li's trial that he was suffering from schizophrenia and believed the voice of God ordered him to kill McLean because the young man was a force of evil.

Li, 40, was charged with second-degree murder but pleaded not guilty. His DNA will be put on file but he won't have a criminal record.

He is to appear before a criminal review board within 90 days to determine how he will be institutionalized. His mental health will be reviewed every year by the same board to determine if he can be released into the community.

"That does not mean that he should go free," Scurfield said in his decision. "People who are found not criminally responsible but who continue to pose a danger to the community may be kept in a locked institution for the rest of their lives."

That was cold comfort to McLean's mother, Carol deDelley, who said Li may be mentally ill, but he still killed her 22-year-old son in the most brutal possible way.

"Whether he was in his right frame of mind or not, he still did the act," she said. "There was nobody else on that bus holding a knife slicing up my child. Nobody else did that. Just one individual did that."

DeDelley said the law needs to be changed so someone can be found not psychologically accountable but still criminally responsible for a crime.

"It's ridiculous that we've not only had to endure this procedure, but we get to endure it every year again for the rest of Mr. Li's natural life and our lives," she said. "A major illness took my son's life and he was never sick."

"Knowing that killer might get out some time soon is very hard," added Tim McLean Sr., who has his son's face tattooed on his chest above his heart with the words: "Tim McLean Forever Loved."

"This isn't the right result. We'll do what we can to ensure nobody gets hurt again."

But lawyers on both sides said justice was done. The Crown had no choice but to argue Li was not criminally responsible, said prosecutor Joyce Dalmyn.

"The evidence was so overwhelming," Dalmyn said. "I had an obligation to bring that to the court's attention and the family understand and respect that."

The review board will do its job "properly" in determining if Li is ever fit for release, she added.

Such boards look at police reports and transcripts of previous judicial hearings and also hear evidence from treating psychiatrists, who testify about a patient's current mental condition, treatment and prognosis. Crown and defence lawyers get the opportunity to ask questions.

The board must carefully consider whether a patient could function in society or would pose a risk to the public. Members take into account a patient's insight into the illness, as well as into what happened.

"Mr. Li will get help," said his lawyer, Alan Libman. "The Canadian public can be assured that the review board will take into consideration the protection of the public. Mr. Li advised me after court that he's going to work with his treatment team because it's his desire to get better."

Scurfield's decision brings an end to a trial that lasted barely two days and only heard from the two psychiatrists.

That Li killed the carnival worker - brutally stabbing him dozens of times, beheading him and then mutilating his body - was never in question at the trial.

An agreed statement of facts read in court detailed how Li sat next to McLean when the young man gave him a smile and asked how he was doing. It was after McLean closed his eyes to listen to music on his headphones that Li thought he heard the voice of God.

"Suddenly the sunshine came in the bus and the voice said, 'Quick. Hurry up. Kill him and then you'll be safe,"' Li told one of his psychiatrists. "It was so quick, such an angry voice, and I had to do what it said. I was told that if I didn't listen to the voice, I would die immediately."

Li ignored other horrified passengers as he repeatedly stabbed the young man, who unsuccessfully fought for his life.

When the bus pulled over near Portage la Prairie, Man., Li was engrossed with stabbing and mutilating McLean's body. Passengers fled the bus and stood outside.

Li tried numerous times to leave the bus but was locked inside and continued methodically carving up McLean's body. Police said body parts were found throughout the bus in plastic bags, although part of his heart and both eyes were never found and were presumed to have been eaten by Li.

The victim's ear, nose and tongue were found in Li's pocket.

God told him to cut up McLean and scatter his body parts around the bus, Li said.

"God told me to do it. Otherwise it would come back to life very quick and kill me. So I cut it up to make sure he couldn't come back to life ... God told me to cut off his head, so I did."

Li tried to escape from the bus through a window and was taken into custody.

After that, with blood smeared on his face from the attack, he politely apologized to police and pleaded with officers to take his life.

I think this outcome was pretty obvious even very early on.

link

Christ it's disturbing what people with damaged brains can do, isn't it.

Is that how the insanity defense works in the US too? Where the case has to be reviewed annually? I honestly have no idea...

Christ it's disturbing what people with damaged brains can do, isn't it.

Is that how the insanity defense works in the US too? Where the case has to be reviewed annually? I honestly have no idea...

It goes state-by-state. There are three basic systems.

A good number of states (maybe just over a dozen) has a terrible GBMI system which psychiatrists are almost unanimously against.

i agree that he was mentally off his rocker, but the fact that there's talk of him "one day returning to society" is horseshit.

even if that comes to be, nevermind that... but to even talk about such a possibility at this particular juncture has to be absolutely insulting to the victim's family and friends.

i'm not saying he should be thrown in prison, but he should be in hospital for a very, very long time to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom