Biggest Grossing Tours Of All Time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
interesting because i didnt see anyone leave and the stadium didnt seem to thin out at all from start to finish and noboddy in my area of the GA line seemed interested in Muse. different perspectives i guess.

Any guesses on what U2 would pay MUSE per gig in 2009?

To be fair the band only has to bring their instruments and a couple crew, very low overhead compared to their own arena shows.

The whole debate about strategic scheduling is ridiculously overrated.

How many people do you think...

travelled from Munich to Berlin in 2009?
travelled from Portugal to Barcelona in 2009?
travelled from Rome to Milan in 2009?
travelled from Brussels to Paris in 2009?

I say less than 4,000 each!
Why? Because the vast majority of a stadium crowd are people who only visit a concert because their market is being hit. Why would anyone from Rome bother going to a U2 concert, if he has to do a 6 hours drive to Milan or book a flight and pay extra for a hotel AND take a few days off? A U2 concert just isn't worth all these troubles for simple event-fans, who generally make the majority of a stadium gig. I'm not saying that none of these event fans accept to travel but this small amount of people is irrelevant.
Then of course, there's the hardcore fanbase who don't bother travelling for U2 concerts and even love to do concert-hopping, which is why you will even find Germans in Athens or Polish people in London. But even though U2 has a huge hardcore fanbase, they still are the minority and do multiple concerts anyway, no matter if their market is being hit or not.

The whole debate about strategic scheduling is ridiculously overrated.

How many people do you think...

travelled from Munich to Berlin in 2009?
travelled from Portugal to Barcelona in 2009?
travelled from Rome to Milan in 2009?
travelled from Brussels to Paris in 2009?

I say less than 4,000 each!
Why? Because the vast majority of a stadium crowd are people who only visit a concert because their market is being hit. Why would anyone from Rome bother going to a U2 concert, if he has to do a 6 hours drive to Milan or book a flight and pay extra for a hotel AND take a few days off? A U2 concert just isn't worth all these troubles for simple event-fans, who generally make the majority of a stadium gig. I'm not saying that none of these event fans accept to travel but this small amount of people is irrelevant.
Then of course, there's the hardcore fanbase who don't bother travelling for U2 concerts and even love to do concert-hopping, which is why you will even find Germans in Athens or Polish people in London. But even though U2 has a huge hardcore fanbase, they still are the minority and do multiple concerts anyway, no matter if their market is being hit or not.

it's tough to say.

For instance, I think if U2 played Seattle/Vancouver on 360 the same week rather than 18 months apart the difference in attendance would be more than 4k.

It definitely just seemed in general like a lot of people I chatted with throughout the day in the GA line were almost more excited about Muse than U2. That's just my perception of the events though.

People would have bought tickets for U2 regardless whether Muse was there or not except for the few hardcore Muse fans I saw. The people were excited about Muse because they were opening and would fill that "not being bored factor" better than most other openers. I definitely was excited to see Muse because I heard they were great, but on the other hand I still would have bought tickets to see U2 play whether there was an opener or not which goes for probably at least 99% of the other people there. Muse was by far the best opener I've seen so far for U2.

Maoil keeps at it ONCE AGAIN by denying GNR's popularity and thinking just because there aren't necessarily boxscores for GNR's STADIUM shows overseas on the Use Your Illusion tour, it means that the strength of GNR's draw is automatically in question. Read and enjoy, Maoil :wave::

USE YOUR ILLUSION TOUR FACTS - N.I.R.

Well, I just read this random link you posted and this is one of the first things I noticed:

Friday, MAY 24, 1991
OPENING NIGHT of the Use Your Illusion tour in East Troy, WI. The venue is Alpine Valley. Skid Row opens the show and does so throughout the year.

I thought you said the opening night of the tour was in January of 1991?:wink:

It appears the individual that posted this does not agree with you that Rock And Rio and the warm up shows are part of the tour.

MOGGIO, I looked through the entire link and I did not find anything that would substantiate claims of higher attendance than what I have posted. Simply listing that Guns N Roses played to 70,000 people at a stadium that has a 70,000 capacity does not mean there were in fact 70,000 people there.

No sources were listed for ANY of the attendences listed which means at best that these were just estimates based probably only on the capacity of the stadium for a sporting event and the general assumption that GNR filled the stadium to capacity.

Again, what I did with my estimate was base it on KNOWN FACTS, actual boxscores. It is far from perfect, but at least it is based on REAL DATA instead of something you pulled out of thin air.

Lastly, promoters do calculate what an artists' draw is based on one of a half dozen formulas (in U2's case, it's mainly based on accumulative overall album sales and inflation), depending on who the artist in question is. I know Maoil also knows this too. Don't believe me? Ok, then, why else were Maoil and my predictions at the beginning of the 360 tour nearly dead on? :doh:

My estimates were based on album sales of the latest album, and how the band did on the most recent tour, NOT on albums that were sold 5 years ago, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, or tours that occured before the most recent one. Things can rapidly change, and the only accurate way to estimate a coming tour is with recent data on current sales of a new album and the last tour.

The massive decline of album sales across the entire industry in the past 5 years so that now only 10 or 15 albums might sell 1 million copies over the course of a year puts even this formula in question. With most people obtaining music for free these days, more and more, your really only left with examining the last tour in order to predict how a new tour will do.

Also, I predicted $125 million for the first leg in North America, while your prediction was $105 million.

In addition, you made some grossly way off predictions like your prediction for the Dallas show.

You predicted a gross of

$1.8 million and attendance 28,000

Real gross was over $6 million and attendance was over 70,000

To say that you were way off is an understatement.

Firstly, Maoil knows damn well what GNR's draw is. We know that a total of nearly 300,000 fans attended GNR's two night headlining stand at Rock In Rio in January 1991 and that this was really the start of the Use Your Illusion tour. And the link I provided clearly shows the exact attendance total for 1992, which was 3,003,086. And the exact attendance totals for the three UK/European legs, which was 2,021,000. Not to mention that GNR also performed headlining STADIUM-sized shows in the Middle East, South America, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and even a handful in North America (Monterrey, Guadalajara, Vancouver, Toronto, Miami, Tampa, etc.). In total, these STADIUM shows amount to nearly HALF of the dates on their 192-date Use Your Illusion tour. These stats are NOT something I or anyone else "pulled out of thin air."

Secondly, (even though we've been over this COUNTLESS times on this very forum, yet Maoil continues to bring it up for some annoying reason), my prediction for the first North American 360 tour leg was only about $6 million off from what U2 actually grossed, once you subtract their opener's draw. And the reason why my Dallas show prediction was so far off was because we now know that this particular market had been heavily underbooked for years. And btw, Maoil was nearly $5 million off on his Toronto show prediction, which is roughly the same amount I was off on my Dallas show prediction.

But of course, Maoil will continue to spin the facts, as usual...
:doh:

Firstly, Maoil knows damn well what GNR's draw is. We know that a total of nearly 300,000 fans attended GNR's two night headlining stand at Rock In Rio in January 1991 and that this was really the start of the Use Your Illusion tour.

Discounting Rio makes as much as discounting the 2 Africa 360 shows. Plus the 360 tour and Bigger Bang tour had scheduled breaks in them as long as 7 months long.

Discounting Rio makes as much as discounting the 2 Africa 360 shows. Plus the 360 tour and Bigger Bang tour had scheduled breaks in them as long as 7 months long.

The two Africa shows were actual U2 shows, NOT festivals, and they occured during the TOUR, not BEFORE it.

Are you going to count U2's performance at the festival in Glasonberry England, this year, in U2's tour total?

And the link I provided clearly shows the exact attendance total for 1992, which was 3,003,086. And the exact attendance totals for the three UK/European legs, which was 2,021,000.

Well, what is the source for such figures? Anyone can type 7 numbers on a website and claim this is what the band did.

These stats are NOT something I or anyone else "pulled out of thin air."

Then what is the source for the numbers shown on the link for the tour?

I disagree. G&R played the. Rock in Rio festival not a Use your illusion tour date. Did G&R collect the gross for that date or did they collect a payment for playing(I really don't know)?

When U2 played Africa it was a U2 360 tour date. I wouldn't consider Glastonbury Festival a 360 tour date and that is being played during the NA leg.

Bruce/Police/Stones have totals from festivals counted.

But that's because Slane and Moncton are individual shows rather than festivals with huge line-ups. In fact, these festivals are built around one headliner's usual show. Don't know about Rock in Rio and Hard Rock Calling but I think it's quite similar.

Stones/Bruce/Police had major tour totals that included attendance from festivals.

NONE, of the festivals that the POLICE played on their reunion tour in 2007-2008 were included in the final totals for the tour!

THE POLICE TOUR 2007-2008 TOTALS WORLDWIDE:
GROSS: $358,825,665
ATTENDANCE: 3,300,912
SHOWS: 143

Not sure about Bruce or the Stones, but I doubt their cases would be any different. Also, just because the artist is playing a festival site does not mean the show is in fact a festival.

NONE, of the festivals that the POLICE played on their reunion tour in 2007-2008 were included in the final totals for the tour!

THE POLICE TOUR 2007-2008 TOTALS WORLDWIDE:
GROSS: $358,825,665
ATTENDANCE: 3,300,912
SHOWS: 143

Not sure about Bruce or the Stones, but I doubt their cases would be any different. Also, just because the artist is playing a festival site does not mean the show is in fact a festival.

Just to clarify:

The Police Reunion attendance gross is missing the festival appearances at Bonnaroo, VFest DC, IOW, Italy 2008, Bilboa and Rock in Rio(Madrid)? Police were obviously the only draw at Hyde, Bilboa and "Rock in Rio-Madrid"

Italy 2008 is borderline since weekend passes had big savings:
Heineken Jammin Festival 2008: The Police, Sex Pistols, Linkin Park and Vasco Rossi the stars of this year. | The Venice Blog

Bigger Bang doesn't count the gross/attendance for Werchter and Isle of Wight?

Springsteen WOAD doesn't count the gross/attendance of Pink pop, Bonnaroo, Glaatonbury or Carhaix France?

Well, what is the source for such figures?

Then what is the source for the numbers shown on the link for the tour?

Their source is obviously from either Billboard, Pollstar or Amusement Business. Where the hell else would they get EXACT figures from, smartass?

Anyone can type 7 numbers on a website and claim this is what the band did.

Are you saying they made those figures up?

Stop EVADING THE ISSUE.

Delusional people = entertainment.

Moggio, keep bringing the entertainment :hyper:

118434_f_1.jpg

Their source is obviously from either Billboard, Pollstar or Amusement Business. Where the hell else would they get EXACT figures from, smartass?

Are you saying they made those figures up?

Stop EVADING THE ISSUE.

How do you know they are exact figures and not an estimate or some sort of guess based on incomplete information? Just because you see a posted number like 4,576,947 does not mean its a fact, accurate, correct etc., especially when NO source is sited. I posted a number above like that but it was based on an ESTIMATE.

Without any sort of a source or other information explaining where the number can from, it could be anything. The figure I came up with is based on an extrapolation of KNOWN FACTS. The figures from the site you posted could be anything since there is nothing explaining where such numbers came from.

I have been through the 1991-1993 boxscores, and there are no Guns N Roses Boxscores for venues outside of North America. I have every GNR boxscore that was printed in Billboard from the period.

Just to clarify:

The Police Reunion attendance gross is missing the festival appearances at Bonnaroo, VFest DC, IOW, Italy 2008, Bilboa and Rock in Rio(Madrid)? Police were obviously the only draw at Hyde, Bilboa and "Rock in Rio-Madrid"

That is correct! NONE of the figures for those festivals are included in the Police totals for the reunion tour. Some of these festivals are annual ones that have a certain level of attendance each year regardless of who is playing. I don't deny that the Police were by far the biggest draw at all of these festivals, but because they were festivals, they don't get included in the official totals for the tour.

For the Stones I think they just played the site, but it was not an official festival.

For Springsteen I'm not sure.

How do you know they are exact figures and not an estimate or some sort of guess based on incomplete information?

How do you know they're not exact figures?

Just because you see a posted number like 4,576,947 does not mean its a fact, accurate, correct etc., especially when NO source is sited.

Just because there is no source listed does not mean those figures are incorrect.

Without any sort of a source or other information explaining where the number can from, it could be anything. The figure I came up with is based on an extrapolation of KNOWN FACTS. The figures from the site you posted could be anything since there is nothing explaining where such numbers came from.

Look, I've provided seemingly accurate info. Now, since you think it's not correct, it's YOUR JOB TO PROVE THAT INFO IS WRONG. Until then...stick a sock in it.

I have been through the 1991-1993 boxscores, and there are no Guns N Roses Boxscores for venues outside of North America. I have every GNR boxscore that was printed in Billboard from the period.

So what? The same goes for just about every other artist. There are few, if any international boxscores pre 1995.

How do you know they're not exact figures?
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Because I don't know of any tour prior to 1995 that has EXACT attendance figures when the tour had dates outside of North America. Why would you assume that GNR Use You Illusion is somehow the exception simply because you saw a 7 number figure on some website, but with no sources listed?

Just because there is no source listed does not mean those figures are incorrect.

True, but there is a more factual basis for believing that my estimate is correct than some random number posted on a website. At least my estimate is based on something that is factually KNOWN.

Look, I've provided seemingly accurate info. Now, since you think it's not correct, it's YOUR JOB TO PROVE THAT INFO IS WRONG. Until then...stick a sock in it.

Well, on what basis do you claim that the info is "accurate"?

My estimate does have a factual basis, Billboard Boxscores. What is the factual basis for these numbers posted on the website?

Because I don't know of any tour prior to 1995 that has EXACT attendance figures when the tour had dates outside of North America. Why would you assume that GNR Use You Illusion is somehow the exception simply because you saw a 7 number figure on some website, but with no sources listed?

Just because YOU don't know of any tour prior to 1995 that has EXACT attendance figures when the tour had dates outside of North America, doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any.

True, but there is a more factual basis for believing that my estimate is correct than some random number posted on a website. At least my estimate is based on something that is factually KNOWN.

Definitely not.

Well, on what basis do you claim that the info is "accurate"?

From the link that I've already provided. Duh!

My estimate does have a factual basis, Billboard Boxscores.

No, it doesn't. Your estimate is based on North American stats. And we all know GNR is a MUCH larger draw overseas.

What is the factual basis for these numbers posted on the website?

Why don't you ask them?

And until you can PROVE that the stats I've provided are incorrect, the stats I've provided stand. :doh:

The Use Your Illusion tour is easily one of the top three highest attended tours in music history.

Just because YOU don't know of any tour prior to 1995 that has EXACT attendance figures when the tour had dates outside of North America, doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't any.
[/COLOR][/FONT]

Well, why would Use Your Illusion be that tour that did have "exact figures" when most if not all, obviously do not?

Definitely not.

My source is Billboard Boxscores for GNR shows in stadiums and arena's in North America. What is listed in Billboard Boxscore is a KNOWN FACT! The numbers posted on the website have no source at all. They could have been made up or come from anywhere. Perhaps a fans estimate simply based on the known capacity of the venues.

Thats a huge difference and I'm surprised you can't see that.

From the link that I've already provided. Duh!

Well, what makes the information posted on the link "accurate"? Are all fan links accurate?

No, it doesn't. Your estimate is based on North American stats. And we all know GNR is a MUCH larger draw overseas.

The only indication of that would be that they played mainly stadiums on the Use Your Illusion Tour, but there is little to nothing showing how they did as far as attendance at these stadiums.

So I used the average attendance at METALLICA/GUNS N ROSES stadium shows in North America as a factual basis for estimating attendance at these Guns N Roses Stadium shows.

Note, these were not just GNR shows that I used, but shows with METALLICA and well known opening acts. Obviously Metallica combined with Guns N Roses is a larger draw than Guns N Roses by itself. The attendance for their stadium shows in North America is the factual basis used for estimating GNR attendance at Stadiums outside North America. So the fact that these stadium shows were done with METALLICA makes up for any percieved GNR lack of popularity in North America VS the rest of the world.

Its not perfect, but at least it is based on facts. The link you provided is NOT SOURCED at all. We don't know where those numbers came from. With my estimate, you know it is based on known facts.

Thats a pretty stark difference. Its a bit strange to see you defending the idea that any number posted on any fan link is "accurate", despite not having any sources.

Why don't you ask them?

And until you can PROVE that the stats I've provided are incorrect, the stats I've provided stand.

So what you are saying is that any number posted on any fan link without sources is ACCURATE and should be considered a FACT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom