Best Song Survivor: Late 1980s Miscellaneous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What are your FAVORITE songs?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

digitize

ONE love, blood, life
Greetings, all. I apologize for the delay. I have been really busy over the past couple of days. But now, I emerge from my Java, C++, and partial differential equations to bring to you the late 1980s non-album round for this survivor. In the last round, Desire narrowly lost to Hawkmoon 269. Hawkmoon, Heartland, and All I Want Is You shall progress to the late 1980s quarterfinal round tomorrow (if I get my act together and start it on time).

Like the last non-album song round, this round works a little differently. Listed are a bunch of late 80s non-album songs. Choose your favorite songs. I would recommend no more than five, but really, it's up to you. The more songs you vote for, the more diluted each vote will be in relative influence. However, the fewer songs you vote for, the less chance you have to advance some songs that you may very well like, even if they're not your favorites. So strategize as you wish. Only the two HIGHEST ranked songs in this round will advance to quarterfinals. Remember that you are voting for your FAVORITE songs here, in a change from how previous rounds operated. This poll will close in 24 hours.

Tried my hardest to limit my vote and I still ended up casting it for six songs: Boomerang II, Love Comes Tumbling, The Three Sunrises, Bass Trap, Luminous Times, and Spanish Eyes. They're six of my favourites from the band's whole discography - probably all would make it in my top 30 U2 songs were I to make such a list right now. Spanish Eyes in particular. Such a great song. Boomerang II and Love Comes Tumbling should've been on UF, and Bass Trap would've been a much better choice than 4th of July if they wanted an instrumental.

I really could prattle on and on about these tracks. I hope a couple of them become finalists.

I'm frightened that we'll get something like a seven-way-tie for second place out of this round.

This was an easy one for me. Just 3. I was only going to vote Love Comes Tumbling and
The Three Sunrises :love: (love that song so much), but I threw in a vote for Beautiful Ghost as I do enjoy it once in a while.

I'm confused that Disappearing Act, Wave of Sorrow, and especially A Shite at the Heartbreak Hotel have votes already.

I'm surprised I'm the only one who voted for Silver and Gold so far.

Boomerang I, Love Comes Tumbling, Luminous Times, Walk to the Water, Hallelujah Here She Comes and A Room at the Heartbreak Hotel for me.

I'm confused that Disappearing Act, Wave of Sorrow, and especially A Shite at the Heartbreak Hotel have votes already.
Disappearing Act is one of my favourite B-sides.

My picks: Love Comes Tumbling, Bass Trap, Walk To The Water, Spanish Eyes and Disappearing Act.

Who'd have thought Hawkmoon of all songs would survive and progress into the next round. Surprise packets are what keep this thing exciting.

Whole lot of cracking songs here. Luminous, Walk To The Water and Love Comes Tumbling will all get votes from me. Disappearing Act and Yoshino are exceptional songs that U2 should be proud to have entered into their canon. Sixty Seconds in Kingdom Come is a gorgeous happy song that I simply must vote for

Hallelujah Here She Comes is one of their worst songs, so it must be rid of. Heartbreak Hotel is rubbish as well. Rattle & Hum really was by far the lowest point for U2 creatively. Thankfully, their career is only tarnished by that one bad album (and the nonsensical 90-00 BO).

I agree with you on Wave of Sorrow and I can see your point with Heartbreak(though I love it for sentimental reasons) but Disappearing Act? I think it is the best "new" old song to come out of the reissues(Oh Berlin a close second). That lovely guitar line, slow building rythem section, even the lyrics are pretty good, which isn't the case with all the "new" old songs:wink:

I voted for DA, 3 Sunrises, Boomerang 2, Luminous Times and Deep in the Heart, though I could happily have voted for another 5 on top of that.

Truly one of U2's golden ages this.

I agree with you on Wave of Sorrow and I can see your point with Heartbreak(though I love it for sentimental reasons) but Disappearing Act? I think it is the best "new" old song to come out of the reissues(Oh Berlin a close second). That lovely guitar line, slow building rythem section, even the lyrics are pretty good, which isn't the case with all the "new" old songs:wink:

Disappearing Act may be one of the better "new" old songs, but that's not really saying much is it? It's not exactly on the same level as the real UF material with real tuf bono vocals. I don't really want to listen to a pale aged imitation of UF passion.

Disappearing Act first off. :heart::heart::heart: The lyrics and the tune are what I love most about it... and the story... and the drumming is pretty good too, sounds like ASoH or maybe Bad...

Okay, anyway, my other choices were 60 Seconds In Kingdom Come, Spanish Eyes, and the original Sweetest Thing, which is much better than the newer version.

So little love for Silver and Gold? :doh: S&G is a scorcher, it'd be a federal offense if it doesn't make it. Don't mean to bug ya.

These rounds lead to the best pie charts.

imagewmk.jpg

Love Comes Tumbling, Three Sunrises, Bass Trap, Luminous Times- all gorgeous songs. Silver and Gold is quintessential 80's U2 at their best, and I love Heartbreak Hotel. I couldn't narrow it down from those six. 90's non-album round will be worse, I think.

It's gonna be Love Comes Tumbling and either Lumious Times or Spanish Eyes to go through. No surprises here really.

Disappearing Act may be one of the better "new" old songs, but that's not really saying much is it? It's not exactly on the same level as the real UF material with real tuf bono vocals. I don't really want to listen to a pale aged imitation of UF passion.

Fair point well made.

Delighted to see the Love Comes Tumbling love. It shows how great U2 are or were that they could leave songs as great as LCT, 3 Sunrises, Boomerang 2 and bass trap off and still make a (near?)masterpiece like TUF.
Though perhaps if they had been included nobody could argue against the albums masterpiece status.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom