Besides U2 what other Christian stuff u listen to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Shaizari, I'm it's good to hear from another Mute Math fan! They're incredible, aren't they? I love Plan B. I think that song would do really well on mainstream radio. You should check out their Web site, www.mutemath.com, they have a video for a song that's not on the album called "Chaos," that is incredible as well. You can download the song on iTunes too.

God bless.

A band some of ya'll might like is Elim Hall. They were around in the mid 80s to early 90s. You can listen to (and even download for free) their 2 albums at

http://www.themusicroom.net/elimhall/songs.htm

I've never heard the second album, but songs from the first one sound a lot like Boy. The guy's voice ain't great, but the music's pretty good.

Re: This disco used to be a cute cathedral...

U2FanOctoberOn said:
Randy Stonehill 77's! these bands got me thru High School...

i met randy stonehill once, he was nice:)

i remember listening to randy stonehill, vector, leslie philips, steve taylor, Undercover, Lifesavors, 77s, bunch of others im probably forgetting...

now i listen to prayer chain (i dont think they're together anymore except for a few reunion tours), and violet burning, who tour once in awhile.

*digs up all albums*

Luna Halo.... The Normals (remind me of Joshua Tree U2 sometimes -- Coming To Life at least).... Pedro The Lion....

Yup, makes me giggle a little (and maybe a gag a bit too!) I remember most of the bands mentioned from the 80's. I used to be a bit of christian rock teenie-bopper, but thankfully the years have bought some wisdom and reality into my life. I now find the whole "christian music" ghetto somewhat repulsive. While I can appreciate some of the music and motivation of those who have been a part of it, I find the concept of a CM industry indicative of an unhealthy christian culture. Sadly some christians have a fortress mentality to life- that if we can only somehow build a wall around ourselves and keep that evil world out, everything will be peachy.

One of those I do respect from this era was Steve Taylor and his song "Guilty by Association" sums up my sentiment;

"So you need a new car? let your fingers take a walk
through the business guide for the "born again" flock
you'll be keeping all your money in the kingdom now
and you'll only drink milk from a Christian cow
don't you go casting your bread to keep the heathen well-fed
line Christian pockets instead"
Another band was Petra. One song they wrote elaberates on this idea too:

"Rose-colored stained glass windows

Another sleepy Sunday safe within the walls
Outside a dying world in desperation calls
But noone hears the cries or knows what they're about
The doors are locked within, or is it from without

(Chorus)
Looking through rose-colored stained glass windows
Never allowing the world to come in
Seeing no evil and feeling no pain
And making the light as it comes from within
So dim...So dim

Out on your doorstep lay masses in decay
Ignore them long enough maybe they'll go away
When you have so much you think you have so much to lose
You think you have no lack when you're really destitute "
I think if a christian has the talent to command attention by their musicianship or songwriting skills they don't need some kind of insulated market to share their gift. Sure there may be a place for worship music which has a unique function, but the industry that has built up around this makes me sick as well.

In answer to the thread question, I do like Switchfoot, Relient K, MXPX, P.O.D. (occasionly), and an aussie band called Antiskeptic. These bands tend to be Christians in bands rather than a "christian band".

Last edited:
That's a bit over-simplified

NotAnEasyThing said:
Yup, makes me giggle a little (and maybe a gag a bit too!) I remember most of the bands mentioned from the 80's. I used to be a bit of christian rock teenie-bopper, but thankfully the years have bought some wisdom and reality into my life. I now find the whole "christian music" ghetto somewhat repulsive. While I can appreciate some of the music and motivation of those who have been a part of it, I find the concept of a CM industry indicative of an unhealthy christian culture. Sadly some christians have a fortress mentality to life- that if we can only somehow build a wall around ourselves and keep that evil world out, everything will be peachy.

Most the bands discussed on this posting are not close to what your describing. 77's, Vector, The Call, Undercover, Randy Stonehill etc... these bands were made up of normal musicians that were indeed Christians, but sang about tragedy and how tough it can be in the real world. Many of us that latched on to U2 and what they sang about and Steve Taylor - don't forget "this disco, used to be a cute cathedral".

It has only been lately that "secular" records give these guys a chance - Jars of Clay, POD. I use to travel with Jars and because of their management they were very limited at their concerts on what they could and could not do... don't want to appear too "christian" etc...

NotAnEasyThing said:

I think if a christian has the talent to command attention by their musicianship or songwriting skills they don't need some kind of insulated market to share their gift. Sure there may be a place for worship music which has a unique function, but the industry that has built up around this makes me sick as well.

I'm glad you draw a distinction for worship music. Worship music by its very nature would only sell well within the Christian music industry. And I for one am glad worship music exists.

Whorship music? Anyone ever hear u2 singing whorship music? 40! from Psalms 40.

naxos said:
Whorship music? Anyone ever hear u2 singing whorship music? 40! from Psalms 40.

And Gloria and All Because Of You and YHWH and Fallling At Your Feet - and so on and so on....

80sU2isBest said:

And Gloria and All Because Of You and YHWH and Fallling At Your Feet - and so on and so on....

No question about that... U2 provides one of my main outlets for expressing worship in song. My comment about worship music was just that maybe there is an arguement to say that the church needs some kind of avenue for sharing this kind of music that may not imediately have a home out there in the marketplace. But actually as I write that, I'm wondering whether this is not really true. I mean I've noticed many friends who may not be believers find something they can get in to in worship music.

I'm not big on Christian bands, but Delirious have always been solid, and I was most impressed with their latest album. I don't usually listen to any other non-worship Christian music, though I've heard a little of Vertical Horizon and like them.

coemgen said:
Everyone here who likes U2's 90s stuff and even their last two albums must check out this new band called Mute Math. I'm serious. They sound nothing like Christian music and they could easily cross over into the mainstream and do very well. Check out www.mutemath.com Taylor Sorensen also is very good and highly recommended.

They're not as new as you think...they used to be known as Earthsuit and they rocked. :) I have a signed Earthsuit poster at home from a concert. Also, they collaborated with Toby Mac on a song or two.

I've always liked Delirious. Good stuff. Anyone heard of and like Caedemon's Call?

Also, I love that someone mentioned Petra. Haha! Then there's the old christian rap group P.I.D. (preachers in disguise) You can find them on Ebay still with their best of album. DC Talk, Newsboys, Steve Green, Steven Curtis Chapman, Jars of Clay. Bringing me back...
Are the Newsboys big in Australia?

Delirious and Caedmons happen to be my faves after U2. Seen bith of them live and they are great. I am not really into CCM that much, but I would say these two groups transcend musical boundaries because what they play is so good.

I know Earthsuit existed before, but Mute Math is MUCH better. Earthsuit sounded like a Christian band, Mute Math doesn't. They're possibly going to be signed by a big record label and crossover with their full debut album this spring or summer!

hmmm...well, I really haven't been into a whole lot of the new stuff that's in the CCM market, but some of my faves that I still love today are:
1) Jars of Clay
2) Newsboys
3) dcTalk (what happened to them, btw? I know they went solo a few years ago, but I really haven't heard anything lately about regrouping.)
4) Out of Eden

I like those bands too but i am so sick of male Christian singers with the winey voices. I am listening to MuteMath right now and i like it. I like Plumb and Jennifer Knapp. they are so good and have crossed over. i have heard a couple of Plumb's songs in movies. They were in Loser a few years back and A Walk to Remember. As for male bands the only Christian one i have enjoyed is Delerious. As far as going to shows, The Joshua Tree is a GREAT U2 tribute band Check it out U2JT.com

u2_girlie_2002 said:

3) dcTalk (what happened to them, btw? I know they went solo a few years ago, but I really haven't heard anything lately about regrouping.)
Last I heard, they were going to attempt to get back together after Toby Mac went solo for a while. Did the others go solo too? I only heard about Toby. Anyway, i haven't heard anything in a while about then tho.

Ft. Worth Frog,
Have you heard Caedmen's Call's newer one "Share the Well"? Good good cd. I've seen Caedmen's Call live, but I've got to see Delirious some time soon.

Im a huge fan of Jars of Clay, I love the album, Who We Are Instead. They do a cover of America's 'Lonely People' which I really like.
Also I'm going to see Third Day live this week actually, the 25th. I'll tell you all how it goes. Apparnetly they are really good live.

Well I have one called Offerings: A Worship Album. It's really good and I love it. I'd have to say Love Song is definatly my favouite. I don't know a lot of the other albums that well so I can't really compare, but this one is awesome.

Got Philk? said:

Last I heard, they were going to attempt to get back together after Toby Mac went solo for a while. Did the others go solo too? I only heard about Toby. Anyway, i haven't heard anything in a while about then tho.

Ft. Worth Frog,
Have you heard Caedmen's Call's newer one "Share the Well"? Good good cd. I've seen Caedmen's Call live, but I've got to see Delirious some time soon.

Kevin and Michael went solo too.
On a side note, Kevin's voice sounds alot like Bono's.

Lynz778 said:
Also I'm going to see Third Day live this week actually, the 25th. I'll tell you all how it goes. Apparnetly they are really good live.

Really? ugh, i have seen them live twice (not because I wanted to either but because they were playing with other bands I wanted to see) and they were hideous! :eek:

but different strokes for different folks i guess. They just seem like a very watered down rip-off of an acoustic band ala DMB. Then again, that is the problem with most "Christian" music, imho. It's like a very poor imitation of something else. :(

Back
Top Bottom