Besides U2 what other Christian stuff u listen to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I checked out Mute Math after lurking this thread. Really good stuff. :eek: It reminds me of some Drive Like Jehu or And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead. But it looks like iTunes only has this one song, maybe I'll look for a CD. :grumpy:

I really can't stand the insulated mentality of CCM and due to my cynic nature I rarely give anyone in that genre a chance.

Besides u2, the 77's have always been one of my favorite acts. If you know the history of the 77's then you know it was U2 that played a big role in them never making it in the marketplace (according to some opinions, of course) interesting story either way.

i wanted to add the violet burning, the prayer chain (gone but not forgotten), the lassie foundation and any other band related to northernrecords dot com that sadly may have been labeled "christian" music but in reality is much better than anything to be pushed out of nashville.

and for you old timers out there, don't forget the choir and adam again. great bands the majority of the world will never know. the choir is one of the first bands to embrace the edge's guitar style into their own sound

softhackle said:
I really can't stand the insulated mentality of CCM and due to my cynic nature I rarely give anyone in that genre a chance.
What is an "insulated mentality"? Thanks

coemgen said:
Everyone here who likes U2's 90s stuff and even their last two albums must check out this new band called Mute Math. I'm serious. They sound nothing like Christian music and they could easily cross over into the mainstream and do very well. Check out Taylor Sorensen also is very good and highly recommended.

I saw Mute Math in concert last summer at Freedom Fest!! They were great!!

I dont mind if it sounds christian or not, the song still reflects their chrtistianity. As long as it is original, fresh and innovative, something christian music is not good at. The good ones always make the mainstream, not the copycats of mainstream music.
I think a lot of people don't care what faith u have as long as u have a unique sound. Like U2 :D

80sU2isBest said:

What is an "insulated mentality"? Thanks

I don't know it's been over a week since I posted that. I think what I was trying to say is how CCM thrives in its own subculture. It doesn't realize how different it really is from pop culture while mainly trying to copying the successes in pop culture and candy coat them to fit the CCM paradigm.

I'm just ranting really, I wish CCM overall was more creative and leading pop culture as a relevant counterculture of artistic freedom and expression but it seems relegated to a fringe subculture that is just trying to make money off of finding the Christian version of Maroon 5 or Avril Lavigne

softhackle said:

I don't know it's been over a week since I posted that. I think what I was trying to say is how CCM thrives in its own subculture. It doesn't realize how different it really is from pop culture while mainly trying to copying the successes in pop culture and candy coat them to fit the CCM paradigm.

I'm just ranting really, I wish CCM overall was more creative and leading pop culture as a relevant counterculture of artistic freedom and expression but it seems relegated to a fringe subculture that is just trying to make money off of finding the Christian version of Maroon 5 or Avril Lavigne

You're right. Much of CCM is copy-cat. My recommendation for you is anything by David Meece and anything by Steven Curtis Chapnman from Speechless and after. They are incredible writers of music and lyrics.

Got Philk? said:
Speaking of Third Day. I've been wanting to buy a cd of there's b/c I like some of what I hear. Which one would you recommend?

I liked there latest one, Wire. Thought there was some good commentary on what it's like to be in the CCM scene (especially in the title track). I like most of their stuff. I also like Newsboys and some of dcTalk.

I love the Newsboys (yeah, kinda teeny-bopper, but it's lively and up-beat and my bf says it's a great show) and also Caedmon's Call. I saw Jars of Clay live last year and it totally sucked. It was the most boring concert ever and I couldn't wait to leave. I don't really like CCM or the concept in general though, so don't listen to me!

Last edited:
Hey softhackle, have you checked out Relevant magazine? It's much better than CCM. You can get it at Borders and Barnes and Noble, as well as most Christian book stores. Check out www.relevantmagazine.com too.

They're going to have Mute Math on the cover of their March/April issue!!! My sister's trying to get them to play at an AIDS awareness event at K-State in the coming months. I'm glad to hear you got that CD neutral. They recently announced they'll probably be signing with Warner Bros., which means it's just a matter of time before they explode onto the mainstream. :drool:

coemgen said:
Hey softhackle, have you checked out Relevant magazine? It's much better than CCM. You can get it at Borders and Barnes and Noble, as well as most Christian book stores. Check out www.relevantmagazine.com too.

I'd never heard of this until my boyfriend's roommate gave me the issue with Bono on the cover. :up:

I'd recommend either of Kevin Max's 2 solo CDs. It's good artsy stuff.
Also, I went to see TobyMac tonight, and his live show is just a bit past awesome. I don't think he's copying anyone in secular music. His band did some break dancing, some lite moshing, and 1 guy did a back flip off a 10ft platform. The music included some '70s dance tunes, Bob Marley's 'One Love', Dc Talk, and Toby's own brand of hard rock-hip-hop-funk. I was Exhausted by the time the last few chords of "Jesus Freak" were played. I've been to 20+ concerts, but I've never came home so spent. I got into it pretty heavy. It wasn't the best music I've ever heard live (see U2), but it was $10 well spent. Aparrently, it is possible to play arenas and charge only $10. Someone tell U2 that!!!

As far as christian goes... delirious? is probibly my favorite.
shane barnard, misty edwards, jason upton,pablo parez are good aswell.

Here are some of my Top Favorites for Christian Music:

Delirious
Switchfoot
Misty Edwards
Todd Ganovski
Isaac Meyer
Tim Nash
Jason Upton

If anyone is wanting to check out any of these... I recommend them..

It's true! Delerious is probably is probably the nearest christian thing to U2, hence, my favourite "other" christian band. Other interesting artists/bands that I like:

Dan Height
The Gate Band
The Jonny Nash Show
Jeremy Strom

Yeah .... The Jonny nash Show is very talented... although I have to admit that the Bass player lacks quite a bit.. Jeremy Strom has some very tasty licks... Dan Height is very talentyed...

I have an advance copy of the new Jars album "Redemption Songs" It's very good. It's all old hymns they redid. The EP on iTunes, "Roots & Wings" is good stuff too. The new Jars comes out next week.

coemgen said:
Hey softhackle, have you checked out Relevant magazine? It's much better than CCM. You can get it at Borders and Barnes and Noble, as well as most Christian book stores. Check out relevantmagazine.com too.

They're going to have Mute Math on the cover of their March/April issue!!! My sister's trying to get them to play at an AIDS awareness event at K-State in the coming months. I'm glad to hear you got that CD neutral. They recently announced they'll probably be signing with Warner Bros., which means it's just a matter of time before they explode onto the mainstream. :drool:

I am a Relevant subscriber. For any of you in the Dallas area, MuteMath is playing the Gypsy Tea Room soon. A local band, Radiant*, is opening for them. I purchased Radiant*'s EP on itunes a few weeks ago, "The Sound of Splitting Atoms" It is pretty good stuff, you should check that out as well.

BTW, I'm too old to be pumped about this, but we're covering the Rattle & Hum version of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" on Easter morning. I get to be the Edge. That will be fun. I got GA tickets in Dallas last Saturday, so I'm just a complete geek about all this.

coemgen said:
I have an advance copy of the new Jars album "Redemption Songs" It's very good. It's all old hymns they redid. The EP on iTunes, "Roots & Wings" is good stuff too. The new Jars comes out next week.

We downloaded ROOTS & WINGS as well and are looking forward to REDEMPTION SONGS. Jars have always given traditional songs fresh yet faithful treatment. Did you notice one of the new songs on ROOTS is possibly inlfuenced by "Beautiful Day"/"Always"?

~U2Alabama

coemgen said:

Wow - how'd you get this?!? My husband is a HUGE fan...

My sister works at a Christian book store and she gets demos and prereleases all the time. It's awesome. If your husband liked their last album, "Who We Are Instead" (which was incredible and a favorite of Bono's I might add) he'll like the new one. It has a similar feel. There's some very moving songs on it.

U2Bama — I can kind of see that influence! Crazy.

Wait U2Bama, are you talking about the first song, "God Will Lift Up Your Head"? I can see that. I was thinking about the last song, but GWLUYH has more of a "Beautiful Day" feel to it. That song is on "Redemtion Songs" too.

Yes, it is the lead track, not one of the last two (which are from the WHO WE ARE INSTEAD bonus disc).

Have you heard their cover of "All I Want Is You"?

~U2Alabama

Yeah, that's a good cover and it's on an important album. Everyone here in this thread should get it. It's called "In the Name of Love" and it's a number of Christian artists cover U2 songs. There's some good stuff on there and it raises money to fight AIDS in Africa.

Jars' new one is out today and it's doing well on iTunes.

Back
Top Bottom