Bad Kissingen, Germany Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those horrible heathen Aborigines, living in an appropriate lack of clothing for their land's hot climate, hunting and foraging because evolution didn't supply an animal ideal for husbandry on the Australian continent, having tribal laws based on universal morality, and not being from the European subcontinent!

Don't talk rot! We are European! We know how to do things BEST. So what that these people have survived in a harsh landscape for 40,000 years? Clearly they know nothing. We have INDUSTRY. COMMERCE. RELIGION. We must know what we're doing better than these nomadic subhumans who don't even possess the land they live on!

... wait, our agricultural economy's being destroyed by drought? SHIT HOW DID THAT HAPPEN! WHERE DID WE GO WRONG?!

Don't talk rot! We are European! We know how to do things BEST. So what that these people have survived in a harsh landscape for 40,000 years? Clearly they know nothing. We have INDUSTRY. COMMERCE. RELIGION. We must know what we're doing better than these nomadic subhumans who don't even possess the land they live on!

... wait, our agricultural economy's being destroyed by drought? SHIT HOW DID THAT HAPPEN! WHERE DID WE GO WRONG?!

Who are these "Chinamen" with their exploding powder? Bah! Mere Oriental heathen magic! We Europeans can do it better! But only we of a single Christian denomination! And these "Redskins" with their puerile cities of stone, and their occasional human sacrifice! Evil! We must cleanse them from their homelands, that will show them how to be peace-loving followers of Christ!

Who are these "Chinamen" with their exploding powder? Bah! Mere Oriental heathen magic! We Europeans can do it better! But only we of a single Christian denomination! And these "Redskins" with their puerile cities of stone, and their occasional human sacrifice! Evil! We must cleanse them from their homelands, that will show them how to be peace-loving followers of Christ!

A nice little genocide will show anybody the error of their ways!

Non-Christian, non-European culture has nothing of value anyway. We know all there is to know. My Cycklopaedia of Human Knoweledge contains all the wisdom of the world!

From the Roman genocide of Gauls to Coldplay: European history has been full of Fail.

Zing.

I wasn't sure if I should have had the Romans there or the Athenian siege of neutral Melos (resulting in every man being killed and every woman and child being enslaved), about four hundred years prior - which truly was fucking idiotic of the Athenians, even at the time people thought it was ridiculous! One reason why I always held the Spartans in higher regard.

In any case, history from every continent is full of fail. But Europe still has Coldplay.

Why the hell did the Athenians do that? I must admit to inadequate knowledge of ancient Greece. Or the ancient world in general.

Why the hell did the Athenians do that? I must admit to inadequate knowledge of ancient Greece. Or the ancient world in general.

It was during the Peloponnesian War, the Athenians were getting shitty, and basically, the Delian League was evidently full of a lot of pricks at the time. There was no way to justify it (just as there wouldn't be now, of course).

You know what pisses me off? I'm thinking of doing a trip to New Zealand sometime this year, and beyond just doing some archival research for Honours, I'd like to spend a good couple of weeks travelling around and going to places I haven't seen before. I can even afford to do it! But I can't figure out any way to actually make it possible. Goddamnit, why can't I drive?

You know what pisses me off? I'm thinking of doing a trip to New Zealand sometime this year, and beyond just doing some archival research for Honours, I'd like to spend a good couple of weeks travelling around and going to places I haven't seen before. I can even afford to do it! But I can't figure out any way to actually make it possible. Goddamnit, why can't I drive?

:( Sounds lame, but bus tours?

:( Sounds lame, but bus tours?

I'd like to be a bit more independent, since I want to get off the beaten track, do my photography, that sort of thing. I wouldn't want to be locked in to timetables and things.

The only way I can think of making this thing work is if I could somehow rope some friends into it. Kate, Matthew, and I actually once had the beginning of a plan for an epic trip until Kate decided she'd actually be Matthew's partner. Ah well.

Damn. Well, I hope something comes up. Hell, I'd do it, but I need to save up going to Europe as it is.

Seems everybody's going to Europe. :laugh:

God, I'm tempted to get really fit and bike it, but I don't see how I'd be able to cover a substantial distance on a bike and have time to do everything I want to do. Plus I think that sort of insane amount of biking would need more than just a few months of getting fit.

I just watched Nirvana's "performance" on Top Of The Pops. Wonderful!

Ha, I've heard about that. Sounds like the only good thing they ever did.

Seems everybody's going to Europe. :laugh:

God, I'm tempted to get really fit and bike it, but I don't see how I'd be able to cover a substantial distance on a bike and have time to do everything I want to do. Plus I think that sort of insane amount of biking would need more than just a few months of getting fit.

Ha, I've heard about that. Sounds like the only good thing they ever did.

Well, my sister wants to take me there sometime after she returns to Australia, especially since she may end up living there. I've got priorities - even though I'm shifting to want to go to the Americas more as of late. Parts of the Middle East, too - sucks that it'd most likely be a bitch going there, however.

Hey, it's worth a shot. Gyms are pretty good for stuff like, y'know, getting fit. Is your vision good enough for safe bike riding?

Oh nah, Nirvana did have some good stuff, I think - but it's mainly their attitude that made them such an attractive band. TOTP performance being point in question. It's awesome. Especially since Kurt is trying to sing like Morrissey.

Wow, even I was listening to some nineties U2 earlier.

Take You Down. :up:

Yeah, actually I think that was a lie - I've listened to some Zooropa era stuff pretty recently. But as far as Pop goes, it's been a while. My overall feelings for U2's nineties music is unfortunately all too often effected by U2's nineties image, which, however necessary it may have been initially, still seems embarrassing and overwrought, especially by the time of Pop. However, Zooropa is still one of my favourite albums, HMTMKMKM is one of their best singles, and Pop has some excellent stuff too.

Well, my sister wants to take me there sometime after she returns to Australia, especially since she may end up living there. I've got priorities - even though I'm shifting to want to go to the Americas more as of late. Parts of the Middle East, too - sucks that it'd most likely be a bitch going there, however.

Hey, it's worth a shot. Gyms are pretty good for stuff like, y'know, getting fit. Is your vision good enough for safe bike riding?

Man, the Middle East would be awesome. I'd be a bit nervous about it, but it'd be all kinds of awesome anyway.

I can't ride a two-wheeler, but I'm sure I'd be OK on some sort of trike or quad out in the country ... but yeah, I don't know, I wouldn't want to ride around in the city. Might have to discard that idea too.

Oh nah, Nirvana did have some good stuff, I think - but it's mainly their attitude that made them such an attractive band. TOTP performance being point in question. It's awesome. Especially since Kurt is trying to sing like Morrissey.

Eh, I haven't heard anything good by them. But the TOTP thing is SuperWin.

Yeah, actually I think that was a lie - I've listened to some Zooropa era stuff pretty recently. But as far as Pop goes, it's been a while. My overall feelings for U2's nineties music is unfortunately all too often effected by U2's nineties image, which, however necessary it may have been initially, still seems embarrassing and overwrought, especially by the time of Pop. However, Zooropa is still one of my favourite albums, HMTMKMKM is one of their best singles, and Pop has some excellent stuff too.

I'm just thankful that although the band's Pop image was a bit ridiculous, it didn't descend into MacPhisto levels of silliness. Plus I'll take Pop as the band's best of the three nineties albums. DYFL, Mofo, LNOE, Gone, Please, and WUDM are songs I still return to.

Man, the Middle East would be awesome. I'd be a bit nervous about it, but it'd be all kinds of awesome anyway.

I can't ride a two-wheeler, but I'm sure I'd be OK on some sort of trike or quad out in the country ... but yeah, I don't know, I wouldn't want to ride around in the city. Might have to discard that idea too.

Eh, I haven't heard anything good by them. But the TOTP thing is SuperWin.

Yeah, I have all kinds of crazy fantasies about going to the UAE, and (less likely) Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan, but it would be a hassle, at least with those last three. But I just think it would be awesome to go to Dubai. I don't know why, I was disgusted by the Crown in Melbourne, and Dubai is like the Crown x1,000,000, but... yeah, that's sort of part of the attraction. The whole... moneyness. The fucking huge themed hotels! The shopping! The actual nightlife in the Middle East!

Man. Motorbike license.

I'm just thankful that although the band's Pop image was a bit ridiculous, it didn't descend into MacPhisto levels of silliness. Plus I'll take Pop as the band's best of the three nineties albums. DYFL, Mofo, LNOE, Gone, Please, and WUDM are songs I still return to.

I disagree - I thought MacPhisto was fucking stupid, but I think Pop may have been even more fucking stupid, more of a bunch of 75 year olds or whatever trying to be hep with the times. Also, Bono just looked and acted like a fucking tool, even more so than usual.

But yeah, Mofo, LNOE, Gone, WUDM - hell, I even like Miami - I think they had some good creative juices flowing at the time.

Yeah, I have all kinds of crazy fantasies about going to the UAE, and (less likely) Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan, but it would be a hassle, at least with those last three. But I just think it would be awesome to go to Dubai. I don't know why, I was disgusted by the Crown in Melbourne, and Dubai is like the Crown x1,000,000, but... yeah, that's sort of part of the attraction. The whole... moneyness. The fucking huge themed hotels! The shopping! The actual nightlife in the Middle East!

Man. Motorbike license.

Afghanistan? The AFP will arrest you as soon as you return!

And Dubai just sounds ... mad. Completely and utterly mad. I'd go just to see the Burj Dubai. Though I'm personally most interested in seeing the Lebanon/Syria/Jordan part of the Middle East.

Haha, I don't think anybody should let me near a motorbike.

I disagree - I thought MacPhisto was fucking stupid, but I think Pop may have been even more fucking stupid, more of a bunch of 75 year olds or whatever trying to be hep with the times. Also, Bono just looked and acted like a fucking tool, even more so than usual.

But yeah, Mofo, LNOE, Gone, WUDM - hell, I even like Miami - I think they had some good creative juices flowing at the time.

QFT.

clf.

Afghanistan? The AFP will arrest you as soon as you return!

And Dubai just sounds ... mad. Completely and utterly mad. I'd go just to see the Burj Dubai. Though I'm personally most interested in seeing the Lebanon/Syria/Jordan part of the Middle East.

Haha, I don't think anybody should let me near a motorbike.

Oh, the west coast would be terrific to visit, I agree. I cruelly forgot about them. I think pretty much everywhere in the Middle East would be magic to go to, if there weren't obvious problems, whether because of war, shitty theocracies, or both.

:lol: Maybe not. Just a suggestion.

You think so? I mean, the band were clearly trend-hopping, but it's not as if they WEREN'T for the rest of the nineties either, and the absence of silly characters trying to be deep helps them save a bit of face. And you're not going to see Bono prancing around with an American flag umbrella any more. No, now, he's fucking cuddling the thing. Use it sarcastically? Heaven forbid!

Miami fucking ruled live, but the studio version? It can FOAD.

You think so? I mean, the band were clearly trend-hopping, but it's not as if they WEREN'T for the rest of the nineties either, and the absence of silly characters trying to be deep helps them save a bit of face. And you're not going to see Bono prancing around with an American flag umbrella any more. No, now, he's fucking cuddling the thing. Use it sarcastically? Heaven forbid!

Miami fucking ruled live, but the studio version? It can FOAD.

Yeah, I still consider Popmart to be rather more mature to Zoo TV, if you can say such a thing - but I still think they were both kind of... fucking stupid.

Oh, the west coast would be terrific to visit, I agree. I cruelly forgot about them. I think pretty much everywhere in the Middle East would be magic to go to, if there weren't obvious problems, whether because of war, shitty theocracies, or both.

:lol: Maybe not. Just a suggestion.

There's something about that particular part of the Middle East that strongly attracts me. Perhaps it's the historian and theologian in me. But yeah, the general theo-politics of the area makes it much less attractive to visit than various other parts of the world.

I'm actually kind of scared of motorbikes ... :uhoh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom