B&C's 2020 Albums of the Year Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Speaking of Flaming Lips, I had never really listened to anything from them pre-Soft Bulletin until recently. A few of those early albums are amazing. Clouds Taste Metallic might be my favorite from them, period.

Clouds Taste Metallic is phenomenal. The Abandoned Hospital Ship is one of my favourite songs of all time. It & Soft Bulletin are just behind Embryonic for me.

I know I’ve listened to Cloud Tastes Metallic once and a fan-made combination of Zaireeka at one point. But that’s it for pre-Soft Bulletin. For me, their best was Soft Bulletin-Yoshimi-Mystics. That’s a pretty high peak though.

Their run from 1993-2002 is about as good as rock of that era ever got. Like Harrison Ford, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi have somehow become more powerful with age.

Transmissions is fantastic as well. Love it. Hit to Death in the Future Head also rules, and at some point I will listen to their crazy first four albums, which I’ve owned on pretty vinyl forever but never played.

Their run from 1993-2002 is about as good as rock of that era ever got. Like Harrison Ford, The Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi have somehow become more powerful with age.

Harrison_Ford_2017.jpg

Laz, you need to listen to Been Around by A Girl Called Eddy. You'd love it. If the Steely Dan comparisons don't win you over, this song should, given you enjoy movies:

There were so many songs I put on my DI list with the hopes that Laz would enjoy them and he never even listened to it because it was on Spotify [emoji24]

Laz, you need to listen to Been Around by A Girl Called Eddy. You'd love it.

Seeing as how she's not Australian, I'll look into it.

There were so many songs I put on my DI list with the hopes that Laz would enjoy them and he never even listened to it because it was on Spotify [emoji24]

7qu0.gif

Anyway, I've been trying to fill in more of my 2020 gaps in-between repeated listens of Taylor Swift's year-defining achievements.

Tomorrow it's Macca and Dua Lipa.

Ooooh, I do like that Dua Lipa album.

I debate on a pretty regular basis whether Clouds Taste Metallic or Soft Bulletin is my favorite FLips album.

Listening to it now, it’s almost over. It’s fine. Nothing major, has a few memorable tunes.

Tay’s Quarantine Queen title is intact.

I don't think I've ever seen an album dominate the year-end lists like Bolt Cutters. The only critic's list I have seen where it isn't number one is Fantano (he has Jessie Ware in the top spot).

I blind bought the Lianne La Havas album ($9.50 for the mp3s on Amazon) based on seeing it mentioned in a few places on end of the year lists, and it did not disappoint. Highly recommended.

The Dua Lipa was a lot of fun. She's got a distinct attitude, but best of the year? This ain't Ray of Light, or even Music. I didn't feel like I was hearing anything particularly new here.

That new Tennis album is definitely worth checking out. They're a very consistent band, but I suppose the downside is that, IMO, their albums don't tend to stand apart from one another in a distinct way.

Anyway, El Mel singled out one of the album's best but this one just has a catchy-as-fuck chorus that is classic Tennis and might be my fav:

Ashley, don’t feel bad about not loving it. I think it’s really good but not even close to being a 10/10 masterpiece.

I definitely don't feel bad about not loving it, haha. To each their own. It doesn't move me in any way, but I enjoy it while it's on. I have no beef with the record, outside of not getting the big deal.

Hello, everyone. I hope you are all well. It's 2021 in Australia and covid still exists, sorry to say.

I'll put together a list for this in due course. Leading contenders include, but are not limited to:

Ainsoph: Ω - V
Cable Ties: Far Enough
Ellis: Born Again
Emma Ruth Rundle & Thou: May Our Chambers Be Full
Empathy Test: Monsters
Hum: Inlet
The Luxembourg Signal: The Long Now
Mild Orange: s/t
Myrkur: Folkesange
Neànder: Eremit
Phoxjaw: Royal Swan
Pure Reason Revolution: Eupnea
Purity Ring: Womb
Sleepmakeswaves: These Are Not Your Dreams
Soccer Mommy: Color Theory
Stay Inside: Viewing

ERR & Thou is most likely my #1. "Ancestral Recall" slays so hard; hell, the whole album slays. Soccer Mommy probably gets #2 for the opening two songs. There are a few good songs on Grimes' album but her, uh, association with Elon Musk has become so off-putting that I'm frankly embarrassed to rate "Flesh Without Blood" as one of the best songs of the 2010s. I'm busy catching up on some albums that I've missed but I'm not sure I can be bothered listening to Fiona Apple, having never heard her before and usually ignoring late-career albums by artists I don't know.

Take care.

For whatever reason I neglected Torres' new album until today, which is a shame because it is really good.

I know I said I couldn't really dig the Phoebe Bridgers album, but a lot of you are right: I Know the End is a hell of a song. Those horns in particular would have been right at home on Sufjan's Illinois.

While I listed the due date as the 15th, I will definitely be flexible if needed.

Cool. I’m gonna need all the way to the 15th. Most of my music-listening time is while I’m working and tomorrow starts a 10-day staycation for me.

Back
Top Bottom