Awwwww.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2democrat

Blue Crack Addict
Just a little tidbit. When Kerry's face was shown on the jumbo-tron at the Clinton library opening the crowd started chanting "Kerry! Kerry!"

That had to be interesting with both the president and senator kerry there....

When I was at the dinner in Washington, they showed a video of the life of the guy the dinner honors, Bishop Walker. Several political figures were in the video. One of them was John Kerry, and keep in mind this was only three days after the election. There was a huge ovation when he came on the screen. For some of us that was actually the highlight of the whole evening.

I liked President Clinton's speech, especially this

"I don't want to be too political here, but it bothers me when America gets as divided as it was. I once said to a friend of mine, about three days before the election -- I heard all these terrible things -- I said, "You know, am I the only person in the entire United States of America who likes both George W. Bush and John Kerry, who believes they're both good people, who believes they both love our country and they just see the world differently?"

What should our shared values be? Everybody counts. Everybody deserves a chance. Everybody's got a responsibility to fulfill. We all do better when we work together. Our differences do matter, but our common humanity matters more.

So I tell you we can continue building our bridge to tomorrow. It will require some red American line-drawing and some blue American barrier-breaking, but we can do it together. "

http://www.clintonpresidentialcenter.org/111804-sp-president-clinton-remarks-given-at-dedication.htm

:up: :yes:

I'm often critical of Clinton for various reasons, but SOMEONE ANYONE has needed to say this, and it's sure not going to be Bush, who thought he had a mandate with less than the popular vote, and it's probably not going to be current dems. So Billy boy, thank you!

:applaud:

sd

I missed the speech because I had to work and then go to a birthday party. But I agree, someone has to say this stuff. I've also criticized Clinton for various things, but not this.

I watched bits and pieces of the Library opening on the news last night It was great to see the first family and former first families gathered with high spirits despite the rain - it was nice to have those whatever political differences put aside just for a day.

And Bono and Edge were there, always a plus. Did anyone see Chelsea Clinton during Sunday Bloody Sunday? She was just swooning with a big smile on her face!

Other than his extramarital affairs and his obvious political differences with me, I will admit that Clinton has been a great leader, and a his legacy should not be forgotten.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I liked President Clinton's speech, especially this

"I don't want to be too political here, but it bothers me when America gets as divided as it was. I once said to a friend of mine, about three days before the election -- I heard all these terrible things -- I said, "You know, am I the only person in the entire United States of America who likes both George W. Bush and John Kerry, who believes they're both good people, who believes they both love our country and they just see the world differently?"

I liked that part of his speech too! :up:

Macfistowannabe said:
Other than his extramarital affairs and his obvious political differences with me, I will admit that Clinton has been a great leader, and a his legacy should not be forgotten.

I totally agree with you Macfistowannabe on this.

Macfistowannabe said:

I agree with this also. I'm a fan! :wink:

if i had been there i think i would've had a heart attack. john kerry, jimmy carter, bill clinton, bono, the edge, al franken, etc. etc. it would've been like, for lack of a better word, an orgy!

U2democrat said:
if i had been there i think i would've had a heart attack. john kerry, jimmy carter, bill clinton, bono, the edge, al franken, etc. etc. it would've been like, for lack of a better word, an orgy!

Sick thought. Although, Clinton probably would have taken you up on the offer, eh?

-Cheap shot. I like that he said America has to come together.

I might be one of the few in here to say that I'm critical of Clinton in that he was too conservative. He hurt the poor so much with his welfare reform and his inability to really do something positive with medicare. Nevertheless, I have a deep respect for him in that he did manage to do a lot of things right. He helped broker peace in N. Ireland, and he worked like hell in the mid-east. Sure he made mistakes in the field of his personal life, but I'm not picking up a stone to throw at him. Overall, i sure wish like hell he could run again.
Oh, odd use of the word, orgy, u2democrat...but i understand what ya mean. Can you imagine sitting at a table with them all? Orgy of the minds....

In a Clinton Library ceremony interview, Senator KERRY has arrived at =thee= reason why he ultimately lost the election: Ozama! Actually, it's that type "thinking" of his that ensured he'd lose. :(

Cable t.v. or not to cable?

Verte76 said:
I missed the speech because I had to work and then go to a birthday party. But I agree, someone has to say this stuff....
Verte, isn't cable t.v. accessible in your 'Bama area? Various speeches were repeated throughout the evening and into the night on shows such as "Hardball", "This Evening with Aaron Brown", "Hannity & Colmes", "Larry King Live", "Special Report with Brit Hume", "Scarborough Country", etc. -- all of which have their shows repeated. That allows me and millions of others to always catch it and even see it more than once if U wish! :sexywink:

For those who never noticed over the past decade or so, THE BUSHES and THE CLINTONS are very compatable and affable with each other. Bush Jr.'s speech on Bill Clinton was most complimentary and unique. A beaming Clinton was visibly delighted. It'll be very ironic if after a Clinton succeeding a Bush and then a different Bush succeeding a Clinton that a different Clinton will next succeed a Bush! By then, it will be old hat 4 them. :wink:

Last edited:
Re: Cable t.v. or not to cable?

Stonewall said:

Verte, isn't cable t.v. accessible in your 'Bama area? Various speeches were repeated throughout the evening and into the night on shows such as "Hardball", "This Evening with Aaron Brown", "Hannity & Colmes", "Larry King Live", "Special Report with Brit Hume", "Scarborough Country", etc. -- all of which have their shows repeated. That allows me and millions of others to always catch it and even see it more than once if U wish! :sexywink:

For those who never noticed over the past decade or so, THE BUSHES and THE CLINTONS are very compatable and affable with each other. Bush Jr.'s speech on Bill Clinton was most complimentary and unique. A beaming Clinton was visibly delighted. It'll be very ironic if after a Clinton succeeding a Bush and then a different Bush succeeding a Clinton that a different Clinton will next succeed a Bush! By then, it will be old hat 4 them. :wink:

Verte, it you still haven't seen the speeches try this:

Load up realplayer and click on file->open and paste in the below link.

Link:
rtsp://video.c-span.org/15days/e111804_clinton.rm?mode=compact

(FYI - Bono & Edge come on at 1 hour 5 min.)

Stonewall - Bush Sr.'s speech on Clinton stuck out to me more than Bush Jr's. The whole thing was incredible! :)

Yeah, I get cable. I haven't gotten around to watching the speeches due to a huge distraction with a nasty illness and the aftermath of the :censored: thing. I'll get the videos. BEP I also have friends who criticized Clinton from the left, mainly for the welfare thing. On the whole I was pretty happy with him as president myself.

Did anyone see President Clinton the other night on that special w/ Peter Jennings? He said his favorite singers include Tony Bennett, Sheryl Crow, and what a surprise, Bono!

I wonder if there is anything Bono or U2 related in the library. I'd love to go there. I've only been to one Presidential Library, the JFK. It is an awesome place, beautiful location too.

I hear the Clinton library has half price ladies night :wink:

Re: Cable t.v. or not to cable?

Stonewall said:
I wouldn't doubt this. Hillary is a bright woman with a strong point of view. She very well may be the first female president. I don't see any competition for that anytime soon. It would be hard to teach kids our presidents, when we go from Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton... I never really thought of it that way until you mentioned that.

It's about time we had a "first man" in the White House, what do you guys think?

Last edited:
blueyedpoet said:
I might be one of the few in here to say that I'm critical of Clinton in that he was too conservative. He hurt the poor so much with his welfare reform and his inability to really do something positive with medicare. Nevertheless, I have a deep respect for him in that he did manage to do a lot of things right. He helped broker peace in N. Ireland, and he worked like hell in the mid-east. Sure he made mistakes in the field of his personal life, but I'm not picking up a stone to throw at him. Overall, i sure wish like hell he could run again.
Oh, odd use of the word, orgy, u2democrat...but i understand what ya mean. Can you imagine sitting at a table with them all? Orgy of the minds....

i agree :up:

Bush! - Clinton! - Bush! - Clinton?

MacFistoWannabe said:
I wouldn't doubt this. Hillary is a bright woman with a strong point of view. She very well may be the first female president. I don't see any competition for that anytime soon. It would be hard to teach kids our presidents, when we go from Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton....
(A) I never really thought of it that way until you mentioned that.
(B) It's about time we had a "First Man" in the White House. What do you guys think?

M.F. Wannabe (strong first initials):

A) Thanx for your sorta compliment re: my Bush/Clinton/Bush/Clinton observation/connection. I'm sure U heard Bill Clinton go out of his way the other evening and strongly compliment George Bush Jr. -- especially saying that prior to the election he publicly stated: "Why in these United States of America can't people like both President Bush and John Kerry?" That is very heavy, honest and humane and especially from a Democrat president, who is supposed to be supporting and praising only the Dem candidate. Of course, we know who the CLINTONS wanted to win. And, he did! :D:

See an ad that reflects THE CLINTONS wanting BUSH Jr. for Prez in 2004: www.STONEWALLvets.org/businessadvertisers.htm

B) Sure, it's about time in the White House for a U.S. "First Man"!
Basically for two reasons: 1) women are at least 50% of the U.S. population, so it's only fair to at last have a female president; and
2) many Westernized nations have already had female presidents such as Israel (Golda Meir), India (Indira Gandhi) and, of course, England (Margaret Thatcher) -- and other non-Western countries such as Pakistan and the Philippines. So, bring her on! And my guess for first First Man: none other than Mr. Bill Clinton! In fact, I believe that he can all but guarantee HILLARY winning! :tongue:

Last edited:
She would not win...and, i will cite Family Feud as my proof. According to 100 people men fear Hillary Clinton more than any other woman, Oprah being second.
Actually, I know so many people left and right who can't stand Hillary. She may have the Republican background, but she is seen as a East Elitist.
Bill Clinton said something interesting on the Daily Show recently. Something to the effect that democrats do better when people think.
Thanks for the love, lover of larry mullen jr.

blueyedpoet said:
She would not win...and, i will cite Family Feud as my proof. According to 100 people men fear Hillary Clinton more than any other woman, Oprah being second.
Actually, I know so many people left and right who can't stand Hillary. She may have the Republican background, but she is seen as a East Elitist.
Bill Clinton said something interesting on the Daily Show recently. Something to the effect that democrats do better when people think.
Thanks for the love, lover of larry mullen jr.
We should never fear a woman just for reasons of power. I think women have long overpaid their debts to society, and whether they're right or left, that shouldn't be an issue as to stereotype them. Women should have every opportunity to be just as successful as men in this world. No exceptions.

Last edited:
Re: Bush! - Clinton! - Bush! - Clinton?

Stonewall said:

M.F. Wannabe (strong first initials):

I'm sure U heard Bill Clinton go out of his way the other evening and strongly compliment George Bush Jr. -- especially saying that prior to the election he publicly stated: "Why in these United States of America can't people like both President Bush and John Kerry?" That is very heavy, honest and humane and especially from a Democrat president, who is supposed to be supporting and praising only the Dem candidate. Of course, we know who the CLINTONS wanted to win. And, he did! :D:
I appreciate Clinton going out of his way to do that. That's what I admire about him. In spite of the division that some democrats are trying to continue, Bill Clinton didn't go that way. He's totally right! We should like Bush and Kerry in a way that has no regard to their policies, because they love this country and they are two men who are willing to lead it. They both understand that being president is a tough job, and political opposition is not easy to overcome.

I wish I cold take credit for this but it's from U2log..

clintonlibrary.jpg

Back
Top Bottom