Avoiding Vertigo Tour Spoilers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fmattyh

Acrobat
Having never gone through this whole concert tour + internet forum experience, I'm just wondering how things work once the tour starts, as far as spoilers go.

For those of us who want to actually be surprised by our concert experience, do we have to basically stay off Interference and any other U2 site the whole time? Will there be a specific forum for spoilers to be posted? Are people pretty good about marking posts containing spoilers in their topic titles?

I guess what I'm worried about is coming on here and seeing a "THEY PLAYED ACROBAT!!!" thread title or whatever. Does this happen? Am I the only one who doesn't want to know in advance everything they will play? Am I basically forced to stay away from Interference until May 9?

I'd love to hear from those who have gone through all this before.

the problem is that no matter how hard we try to make sure everyone puts "Spoiler" in the thread title, there's always that one person that, as you said, puts "THEY PLAYED ACROBAT" as their thread title, except they usually have "!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111" after "ACROBAT". best is to not read the tour forum at all until you see the show for yourself.

I am with you on this one. But when you search for new posts, everything comes up, including the tour section....and I don't know if it's possible for me to completely avoid interference for over a month. :|

Actually, I know it's not :reject:

I don't think you can "spoil" a U2 concert, whether you've never been or seen 10 or more shows. Each show is unique, and rarely ever dull. The energy that the boys pour into each performance is extraordinary. Even if you knew exactly what songs they were going to play, you really never know what exactly is going to happen.

lemon_vr6 said:
The only way I could resist is to go to opening night.

ha ha, me too! particularly since u2 setlists tend to be pretty static.

of course a u2 show is always going to be great, but i like it better when there is some mystery about what songs i will hear. i managed to mostly avoid reading about the elevation shows before i saw them, so i was completely shocked and excited to hear sunday bloody sunday (especially after not getting it at popmart) the fact that it was unexpected made it even better

[q]Originally posted by fmattyh

Are people pretty good about marking posts containing spoilers in their topic titles? [/q]
No.

[q]I guess what I'm worried about is coming on here and seeing a "THEY PLAYED ACROBAT!!!" thread title or whatever. Does this happen? [/q] As mikal said, yes, it happens. And it happens frequently.

[q] Am I the only one who doesn't want to know in advance everything they will play? [/q] No. I too wish people wouldn't write spoilers into their thread titles, but that's wishful thinking.

AND AND AND.... here's the thing:

During rehearsals at the San Diego Sports Arena over the 2 or 3 days just preceding the March 28 show folks will post exactly which songs U2 are rehearsing in the arena. If you read this forum you pretty much can't avoid seeing that stuff here.

Just dont come here again till your concert is over lol that is the best way to avoid it.

I've always seen more than one show for each tour and in my experience, every show is different. Even changing one or two songs makes the next gig different from the night before, so don't worry about knowing too much before you go because you won't be getting someone else's gig.

I did a complete news blackout in 2001, but only had to wait about 3 weeks before I went to my first show. It was AMAZING not to know what was coming up next, not to know that it started with the lights on, and not to be able to identify the Fly immediately when they started playing it. I just didn't look at any U2-related boards at all.

I plan to do it again this time, except I'm seeing the last three shows on the US leg, which will be tough but I'll be working a lot and going to Europe for 10 days, which ought to kill some time!

I can't recommend it enough. If you can do without the discussion boards for a while, it makes your first concert experience (and even those after, since you don't know if they're shaking things up or not) UNREAL.

Of course it's better to not know in advance (Kind of like knowing what presents you are getting for christmas ahead of time). But I can not control myself and will be on interference daily combing for concert reviews.

I think the people who would not listen to the internet downloads prior to Bomb coming out officially are the same people who want their concert to be a surprise as well.

I'm guilty on all accounts -a and not ashamed of it.

Numb1075 said:

I think the people who would not listen to the internet downloads prior to Bomb coming out officially are the same people who want their concert to be a surprise as well.

true, dat. i'm one of those peeps.

Numb1075 said:

Not me! I d/l the album, but for what I am paying for tickets, I want the HUGE surprise!

And then there is the possibility that itunes might be offering concert downloads not to long after the concert. Imagine trying not to find out the setlist and then imagine finding out there is a concert to download on itunes as well.

Might as well call me Nemo and dangle a hook in front of me.

i had a lot of fun last tour, and i always knew what song was coming next. i said a couple weeks ago that i wasn't going to read any of the spoilers, but i've since realized that it will be impossible.

Avoiding spoilers won't be a problem for me...but when the recordings start to circulate I won't be able to resist getting them. Oh well...

lol, even worse was in Chicago on the 3rd leg of the Elevation tour, we had a printout of the setlist before the show even started. how we obtained it, i can't go into, unfortunately.:wink:

Re: Re: Avoiding Vertigo Tour Spoilers

pub crawler said:
During rehearsals at the San Diego Sports Arena over the 2 or 3 days just preceding the March 28 show folks will post exactly which songs U2 are rehearsing in the arena. If you read this forum you pretty much can't avoid seeing that stuff here. [/B]

That's true. Even the people going to the first show will have to avoid this forum if they don't want to know the set-list. I remember I (and others) posted the songs they played at the last rehearsal in Miami on Wire last time around. Although I did say 'spoiler' in the title.

I understand wanting a surprise, but reading about the show here before I get to see it will be so much fun, I wouldn't want to miss that ! It's the best time to be a fan... For me it just adds up to the anticipation.

mikal said:
the problem is that no matter how hard we try to make sure everyone puts "Spoiler" in the thread title, there's always that one person that, as you said, puts "THEY PLAYED ACROBAT" as their thread title, except they usually have "!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111" after "ACROBAT".

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Although I'm lucky to have tickets, and also don't want the surprise to be ruined, I have to think that spoilers would be even worse for those who wont be able to see the real thing. Kinda of like Vertigo Tourt "blue balls". Ouch. :ohmy:

there shiould be a "spoilers" or "show reviews and notes" forum... in the TOUR FORUM

so who ever wants to write a spoiler or anything related to the show goes there

!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111 :lmao:

starsgoblue said:
Some call them spoilers...I call them nice little bits of musical heroin to tide me over til I can get a real fix. :crack: :wink:

:laugh:

The only thing I need to find out ahead of time is how the GA Line is going to be handled (lottery/first-come-first-serve)...

Other than that, I'll try to stay away from the full setlists as much as possible...usually I do a "U2 blackout" (term stolen from another poster) about a week before a concert (any band, actually), and since the time from the beginning of the tour to the concert I'm going to is so short, I'll just keep reading about new info until opening night.

Sorry for the massive run-on sentence.

I am going to the May 7th concert in Chicago. I expect I could probably hold off from this site for a month. HOWEVER, I still feel I should check it periodically in case something happens like "Tour postponed" or "U2 not going to be back in the states in time for May 7th show". I'd hate to drive 6 hours to chicago to have the show be cancelled. So I will check here periodically for that. U2.com would probably post "MAY 7th show cancelled" on may 8th, knowing their promptness.

Back
Top Bottom