aussie chat thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alisaura said:

What pisses me off about electricity generation is how much bloody water it uses. They'd better not be boiling potable water in those things, that's all!! :mad:

All the distributors charge all the retailers the same amount for power and gas. Any difference in the prices the retailers offer is dependent on how much they want to cut into their profit margins (which, looking at the bill I get in the mail, are pretty bloody significant)...

I know little about power generation. The only time I think of water in connection with it is with regards to hydroelectric dams, which I thought were pretty environmentally sound besides the whole issue of flooding the daylights out of some poor valley.

I should pretend to set up my own electricity company and just buy it wholesale then? :wink:

coolian2 said:

It failed the first test. Great pick up line, Ax. No wonder you've got such a great strike rate.

Hey, my strike rate's a shitload better than YOURS.

mysterious_jen said:
:hug: catch you all tmorrow nite, cause i know we are all total geeks and ahve no life outside interland !

:lol: I wonder if we can get more crazy spamming going tomorrow. :wink:

Have a good night!

coolian2 said:
And now that 100 clear of Varitek, i'm going to fuck off too.

I can already tell tomorrow isn't going to be my most productive day.

I can't believe that you're still up. Or that you've still been up for the last two hours or so! :laugh:

Glad all I've got to do tomorrow is go shopping sometime. And maybe think about doing some housework. But only maybe.

Axver said:
I know little about power generation. The only time I think of water in connection with it is with regards to hydroelectric dams, which I thought were pretty environmentally sound besides the whole issue of flooding the daylights out of some poor valley.

I should pretend to set up my own electricity company and just buy it wholesale then? :wink:
There are so many new retailers popping up, you could probably get away with it... although generating a data file for your one account every month would be irritating :lol:

My dad is still furious about Lake Pedder. (Peddar?) He loves Tasmania and walked all over it in his youth, before and after Lake Pedder was flooded. And it was COMPLETELY unnecessary. Tasmania had more than enough power then, and still does now. (I think.) :angry:

As far as conventional power stations go, they are insane. Burn coal, boil water, rising steam turns a turbine which generates the power via some gizmo like a dynamo or something. Same deal with nuclear, except it's just the radioactivity coming off the uranium that heats the water. Which disappears into the atmosphere as steam.
It all seems too elaborate to me. Give me solar or wind power any day.

Alisaura said:

There are so many new retailers popping up, you could probably get away with it... although generating a data file for your one account every month would be irritating :lol:

My dad is still furious about Lake Pedder. (Peddar?) He loves Tasmania and walked all over it in his youth, before and after Lake Pedder was flooded. And it was COMPLETELY unnecessary. Tasmania had more than enough power then, and still does now. (I think.) :angry:

As far as conventional power stations go, they are insane. Burn coal, boil water, rising steam turns a turbine which generates the power via some gizmo like a dynamo or something. Same deal with nuclear, except it's just the radioactivity coming off the uranium that heats the water. Which disappears into the atmosphere as steam.
It all seems too elaborate to me. Give me solar or wind power any day.

:lol: I hate how many bloody retailers there are for some things. Finding an ISP can be a nightmare too. It'd be so tempting to make up your own fake retailers to get everything wholesale. I could go for some seriously powerful Internet and the electricity to support it!

Maybe Ian will be interested in Tasmania. After all, Auckland's probably due for their weekly brownout tomorrow. :wink:

Ah, right. I'm sure I probably had read that somewhere, but it's certainly not the first thing occurring to me right now! Do you think solar and wind could practically provide for even a significant amount of our power needs, though? I constantly hear it rubbished as impractical.

I suspect things on the postwhoring front are about to fall quiet, eh? :(

Though wow, how did it become nearly 1am already!

Depends who's rubbishing it. People with a vested interest in maintaining the dominance of coal-fired plants will obviously resist anything that could replace them...

I haven't done any research on the figures, but I would love to think that, maybe when the tech has improved and we have really good batteries, most homes might be able to provide most of their own power with solar panels and/or a windmill thing on the roof... especially if you live in a windy suburb. There are spots in the city that act like wind tunnels... a water tank and a windmill on every building and we'd be sorted. :lol:

Axver said:
I suspect things on the postwhoring front are about to fall quiet, eh? :(

Though wow, how did it become nearly 1am already!
Time flies when you're postwhoring? :wink:

I don't think my post count has jumped like this since the setlist parties... and I only caught the last few of those.
*nostalgia*

I can't decide if I should go to bed now or not... I did just start a new massive book yesterday... :hmm:

Alisaura said:
Depends who's rubbishing it. People with a vested interest in maintaining the dominance of coal-fired plants will obviously resist anything that could replace them...

Ha, that reminds me of reading anti-climate change studies commissioned by oil companies and the like. Absolute comedy! My favourite was one that claimed climate change would actually be a GOOD thing. It's like the scientists were too ethical to deny it, but they had to find some sort of bullshit to justify the pay cheque they were receiving.

I haven't done any research on the figures, but I would love to think that, maybe when the tech has improved and we have really good batteries, most homes might be able to provide most of their own power with solar panels and/or a windmill thing on the roof... especially if you live in a windy suburb. There are spots in the city that act like wind tunnels... a water tank and a windmill on every building and we'd be sorted. :lol:

:lol: I'm sure Wellington could survive quite comfortably on wind.

I'd like to get solar, but being on a ground floor flat, I don't exactly have a roof. I could negotiate with the other tenants, buuut ...

Alisaura said:

Time flies when you're postwhoring? :wink:

I don't think my post count has jumped like this since the setlist parties... and I only caught the last few of those.
*nostalgia*

I can't decide if I should go to bed now or not... I did just start a new massive book yesterday... :hmm:

:laugh:

I think this may just be one of the greatest one-day surges in my post count ever. I can think of only a handful of setlist parties to rival it, the very few that ran to four threads. I think we got one party to six threads. I can't wait for those to come back.

I'm thinking maybe I should turn in. This would qualify as an early night for me. But knowing me, I probably won't.

I guess it'll be fewer threads now that we can go to 1000 posts (I still can't figure out how it takes up less server space or whatever to have five 1000-post threads rather than one 5000-post thread)...

I usually stay up till all hours on Friday, cos I hardly get to chat to some American or UK people unless I'm up at 2am or whatever. But I didn't get much sleep last night, so I might be a wuss and go to bed... even if I just read for an hour instead of posting.

Alisaura said:
I guess it'll be fewer threads now that we can go to 1000 posts (I still can't figure out how it takes up less server space or whatever to have five 1000-post threads rather than one 5000-post thread)...

I think it's because of the requests made on the database. It takes more database effort to sort a 5,000 post thread than a 1,000 post thread. Though most forums I've ever posted on have coped just fine without such limitations.

I usually stay up till all hours on Friday, cos I hardly get to chat to some American or UK people unless I'm up at 2am or whatever. But I didn't get much sleep last night, so I might be a wuss and go to bed... even if I just read for an hour instead of posting.

I'm thinking I should go do some reading too. I feel like I've been reading Les Miserables forever, just because I've been sucked into the bloody Internet by postwhoring insanity like this and haven't spent much time reading.

Or maybe I should go write that story of mine that I rubbished back when Mr Tourist was round ... :hmm:

Axver said:
I think it's because of the requests made on the database. It takes more database effort to sort a 5,000 post thread than a 1,000 post thread. Though most forums I've ever posted on have coped just fine without such limitations.
Ah, that makes sense. I don't have a clue about IT stuff... :der:

Or maybe I should go write that story of mine that I rubbished back when Mr Tourist was round ... :hmm:
Oooh. Write! Write! :D

I'm still too nervous to re-read that NaNovel from '03. Maybe on the weekend I'll take a peek and see what it's devolved into...

I used to be such the little author when I was 11-14 or so. Looking back over what I wrote is ... interesting. Some absolutely pointless tangents! Though my favourite has got to be a file I created where I wrote histories for fictitious railway lines in New Zealand. I've been a history nerd a long time, it seems, and it's easier to just pluck it out of thin air. :wink:

:giggle:

What I wrote 6 or 7 years ago is bad enough... there's no way I want to read what I wrote at school. :no:
There was one massive, hand-written, self-indulgent, revolting pile of pap... :yuck: I must find that and burn it.

Well, I'm off... Seeya :wave:

Most of my stuff is fortunately just action-adventure. There is one embarrassing part that reveals a brief flirtation with religion though. Holy shit that's bad. But otherwise, it's more the writing itself that's amusing, not the content.

Have a good night! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom