Are you this pathetic too?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In answer to your questions:
- it does interfere with my schoolwork
- I wouldn't say it really interferes with my relationships, although if my sister calls me when I'm on I have to try DAMN hard to concentrate on the conversation I'm having with her

About not making friends/not wanting to be phony, etc, um, I don't post a lot, so I don't have many friends here, but I find most people have been really great and welcoming.
smile.gif

But, anyway, your rant just reminded me of some people I know who are really blatant with their opinions and things. I think sometimes when people try to remain "real" and true to themselves, they come across as being really abrasive or annoying. It's not that they intend to, it's just that they're so focused on being true to themselves that they don't realize they're alienating people. They feel like it's them against the rest of the world, like they have to come out swinging all the time, and that's an off-putting stance when someone's trying to just start a casual conversation. Being two-faced is different from being tactful, considering people's feelings/responses when you interact with them.
Also, I had a friend in high school who I argued with constantly. He was one of the three or so people at that school who would be honest with me and I totally, completely valued that more than he will EVER know. I should get in touch with him...

Anyway, just random stuff your post reminded me of.

Originally posted by Sicy:
I used to feel that way, but yknow what, I finally realized that there are more important things in life than missing a day or two of interference.

Yeah, me too...that's why I don't know as many people around here anymore!
frown.gif

------------------
"Midnight is where the day begins..."

Bbug, if being honest and true to myself makes me annoying and abrasive, I still feel better about myself than being 'tactful' if it isn't truthful. I would rather just shut up and not say anything than to say something just to kiss someone's ass so they would like me. I've come a long way down the road, and if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud, and I'll die proud too. There are too many 'yes' men and women in this world, and I think they are annoying. I have long since gotten over being ashamed of what I honestly feel. I used to let people make me feel I was wrong and inadequte, but I realized everyone is in some way. I stopped caring what they thought, because I can't please people like that anyway. At least I know why no one likes me now, but if that is the reason, I don't give a crap. It sucks.

About your friend, you found this person annoying and fought with them for being HONEST? So, you like, would rather have someone be dishonest with you as long as they told you everything you wanted to hear? That doesn't seem right.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-10-2002).]

Ah, this has become a very interesting thread indeed. I was never one of those people that cared much about fitting in, and I like to say what I think, but I also don't like to upset people. We all have different opinions and I have grown to know and respect that over the years. I don't like people cutting me down for my opinions, so I try not to do the same to others. But I also don't like people telling me what to do. I like to do things for my own reasons.

No, I don't like "phonies," just like one of my favorite literary figures, Holden Caulfield!

I have no idea what my point is. You people inspired me, I guess.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

I thougth you were like that wertsie, so am I, and I think that's why you and I go on whereas others would have shut up or ignored it. I admire that, even though our opinions are different, because as someone told me and I posted here, I'd rather fight with a REAL person than have my butt kissed by a phoney. Larry hates phonies too. Cheers.

------------------
~"A little out of touch, little insane, just easier than dealin' with the pain!" ~Soul Asylum, "Runaway Train"

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-10-2002).]

I used to be pretty addicted, spending hours at a time posting (even at my ex-job), but lately I've majorly cooled off. There's more out there for me than a message board, but it does still provide me with entertainment now and again. I still visit at least once a day but most of the time I just read instead of post.
smile.gif

I'm screwed up as it is so I'm glad I kindda broke my addiction to this place. lol

------------------
Don't take offense
Better make amends
Rip it all to shreds and let it go

Stormy, I argued with him about politics and religion, over who got to light the bunsen burner in chemistry, over whether or not to lower the basketball hoop so we could "dunk," not over honesty. Don't jump to conclusions, dude. He was my buddy, I've known him since I was 8, and we used to talk about the red sox and shit.
Look, I do NOT think honesty makes one abrasive. I think some people, (Larry for one) come across as incredibly defensive and insecure because of the way they deal with other people. He talks like he thinks he's some great rebel against everything and everyone, he sounds to me like he's just scared and inept at dealing with people. Having opinions doesn't make you an @sshole, it makes you an interesting person to talk to and debate with. But you also have to learn how to deal with people. What "tactful" means, to me, is that you're aware conversation is a two-way street. You don't say things in a harsh way that will be offensive to someone and immediately make them defensive. You're talking to the person because in addition to the sound of your voice, you want to hear theirs. Rudeness and bitchiness doesn't help make a point. If you don't have any friends, it might not be that they're threatened by your opinions, it might just be that you're pushing them away when they're trying to engage you.

SO, to recap:
1. My friend is an intelligent humourous person who likes the Red Sox.
2. Stop jumping to conclusions.
3. I'm not a yes-woman. Being able to hold a conversation with another person does not make me a yes-woman.

Okay Bbug, sorry I misunderstood. So am I as bad as Larry? I DO have friends in real life, it just seems like I don't here. But that's understandable, since I have such a different personality, sense of humor and opinions than most of them, and I don't like to goof around in the chat like most of the PLEBA girls because I don't really have anything to say to them because I have nothing in common with them other than this band, and not even everything about it. But that's okay, we can all have fun when we can, and this board is still cool. Still, I didn't make my signature what I did for no good reason LOL!
wink.gif

------------------

smile.gif
lol about as bad as larry. NO you aren't. *sigh* I shouldn't pick on the man, it's not like I actually really know him...anyway, I wasn't specifically talking about you, just sort of people I know/have known over the years, using "you" in the general sense. When I write in the third person I get into bulky, confusing sentences. (from my current paper: "The author is saying that the course of one's life is not to be determined by the individual, that the fate of Edna has already been determined by the rigid creole society; any attempt to try and resist such dictates is futile and leads only to strife for all of the family and, by extension, the culture at large.")

PLEBA can get really silly and sometimes I've just left and not come back for a couple weeks, or just gone back for RSOC threads.

Good luck with your addiction! Hmm, maybe they should create an interferencers anonymous forum...

Originally posted by *Stormy*:
I DO have friends in real life, it just seems like I don't here. But that's understandable, since I have such a different personality, sense of humor and opinions than most of them, and I don't like to goof around in the chat
ah, now I finally start to understand why I'm not more popular

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by DoTheEvolution:
Then don't come here as often and problem solved! DUH!
rolleyes.gif

If it were that easy it wouldn't be a problem! It's like asking a drunk to give up booze or a crackhead to quit cold turkey. It's an addiction that I can't just drop. That's why I'm pathetic.

------------------

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by *Stormy*:
I DO have friends in real life, it just seems like I don't here. But that's understandable, since I have such a different personality, sense of humor and opinions than most of them, and I don't like to goof around in the chat
ah, now I finally start to understand why I'm not more popular

Well Salome maybe we should be friends! Or maybe we're both just lone wolves and free spirits!

------------------

Back
Top Bottom