Are U2 "Abusing Their Position" With The Vertigo Tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
Back in `91, the public was hot for U2 after the successful JT-R&H era. The stolen tapes addded more fuel to the fire. Knowing that everyone would buy U2, no matter what kind of thing they put out - U2 released "The Fly" as their first single knowing fully well that it wasn't radio friendly and was a big departure from the sound fans are accustomed to hearing. To make things worst, the made The Fly single a limited only release that would be available for three weeks only or thereabout to ensure they can ram it in the ears of their audience. When asked about this plan, U2 said they did it because they could - they could abuse their position.

Now, it's 2005. U2 already have a sold-out tour in the bag. No matter the backlash or the negative reaction, the tickets have already been sold. So U2 can do anything they please and there is no risk. So what do they do? They give us a setlist full of songs that don't even belong among their "Best Of" of either era. We get Electric Co, An Cat Dubh, Into The Heart, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, Zoo Station, The Fly, and 40 - that adds up to 8 songs or more than 1/3rd of their songs of their setlist are devoted to non-Best Of songs.

U2 are at an era now where they have new found fans thanks to their resurgence with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. So naturally, it was a good call to exclude anything POP from this tour. But to help let these new fans rediscover U2's back catalogue, I feel U2 should have used the Best Of route - or at least have more songs that are recognizable and not give 8 songs that aren't Best Ofs (a few would be fine but 8 is too many). This would be counter-productive to letting fans recognize their hits.

Rather than play their tried and tested hits, U2 decided to dust off never played songs from their past which were never popular, let alone fan favorites and then they play it with many technical and lyrical botching mistakes. Why do U2 do this? Because they can. They have already sold out their tour, and by the time the tour will hit Mexico, Australia, South America, South Africa and other places in the 4th leg - U2 would still sellout tickets thanks to the fact that the people there are U2-deprived.

U2 have abused their positions by giving us a tour that plays a few of their hits, omits many popular hits, setup wise is just Elevation Tour part II, and their new bandwagon is the African-Awareness cause which they are ramming up people's throats.

In short, it's just the Elevation Tour with a less accessible setlist and an African awareness theme. I admire U2 for knowing what position they are in and for deciding to abuse this position once again. U2 know that they won't be in this position for long as their career is slowly winding down - so they might as well just have fun and dust off some old songs.

Cheers,

J

Bonochick said:

Please don't be so rude to another member.

what abou jick being rude towards us by thinking we're so incredibly stupid as to not get his gimmick by now?

what's the difference between someone constantly posting negative threads and someone posting 50 threads containing nothing more than "ja!"

they're both done for one reason and one reason alone... to get a reaction.

why are they different?

Headache in a Suitcase said:

what abou jick being rude towards us by thinking we're so incredibly stupid as to not get his gimmick by now?

Fully agree.

The 'joke', if it ever was that - has gone on long enough - surely the mods can realise this too?

Dalton said:

Come on you know you were thinking it.

Actually, I wasn't.

People are entitled to their opinions and free to express them, so long as it's done in a civil manner. While you may not agree with what jick has posted, he's being civil. Please do the same with your responses.

Headache said:

what's the difference between someone constantly posting negative threads and someone posting 50 threads containing nothing more than "ja!"

they're both done for one reason and one reason alone... to get a reaction.

why are they different?

If you are mad because you feel that jick is posting just to get a reaction, then don't react.

I'm sorry, but jick has done nothing wrong in this thread. There's no need for everybody to jump on him.

Bonochick said:

Actually, I wasn't.

People are entitled to their opinions and free to express them, so long as it's done in a civil manner. While you may not agree with what jick has posted, he's being civil. Please do the same with your responses.

So does that mean you don't subscribe to my "shame" based method of curbing anti-social behavior? Cause I spent a long time coming up with it.:ohmy:

If U2 were abusing their position and winding down....

why bother to dust off stuff they havent played? Just take the elevation tour, pull out5 or so songs and replace tem with songs from the new album...

The fact is they are playing new material, as well as changing up the older material...

not realy sure what else you can ask for????

And in terms of shoving african awareness at us--umm..this is U2! Maybe you only liked them at their super irony phase or something..but a lot of us became fans of U2 from their earnest, passionate selves who played great music and brought forwawrd real issues....

Last edited:
I would rather hear U2 play songs such as An Cat Dubh than to turn into another Rolling Stones/Eagles greatest hits band.

After 25 years they are still relevant.

And in 50 years Bono will be remembered for what he did off the stage - not on it. So stop complaining about the "African Awareness cause". To call it their latest cause is insulting.

The whole point of a band touring is to tour and promote their new album. They have no obligation to play the older hits since they're no longer promoting past albums. So they can pretty much play what they want just as long as they play new songs for the new album.

Jick, you can't be serious with this one. Other arguments you've made I could see as just being realistic and pointing out problems with the band. This is just laughing material. I also wonder why so many people get so pissed at Jick for these threads. It's almost become a way of life. Get used to it.

Jick for a guy who's designing bootleg covers for the shows so you can use U2's music for your own advantage, you sure do complain about that music a lot.
Are you upset that you can't sell as many bootlegs on Ebay if there's not enough hits in the shows?

Cheers,
H2

This thread cannot be taken seriously.

The author has requested that the band plays songs from their Best Of albums.

Come on.

Happy April Fools day.

I would rather see a show where they only play their B-Sides, than go to a "Best Of " show.

FullonEdge2 said:
By the way, shouldn't this thread be merged with the 'open tour bitch' thread?

Again, I'm actually serious: shouldn't this thread be merged?

I'm a bit annoyed, but you two are making me laugh now, which leaves me feeling really conflicted. :mad: :laugh:

To be serious though, I still stand by all that I've said...and cooperation with that is appreciated.

FullonEdge2 said:

Again, I'm actually serious: shouldn't this thread be merged?

I thought about it, and I did consider it, but I see other threads that could be merged in there as well. The tour forums are a bit hard to keep up with. :crack: I do appreciate the suggestion though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom