Are the b-sides to POP and Zooropa available?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizkitgto

Acrobat
U2's website is offering a cd of b-sides from Atomic Bomb and ATYCLB, what about the b-sides from POP, have they been released yet?

Not on a single CD youde have to get the singles...most likely bet is ebay. Unless you want to download them illigally of course :)

I don't think there were any singles from Zooropa, just a video release of "Numb". It's apparent to me that most of the album is b-side material anyway.

Pop does have b-sides like Pop Musik and various mixes of songs. The "Please" single comes in 2 versions: one with the single version of the song and 2 mixes of "Dirty Day" (though not dance mixes), and one other song AND a live EP with 5 tracks, including Please, Streets, With or Without You, and Staring at the Sun.

I don't think there were any singles from Zooropa, just a video release of "Numb". It's apparent to me that most of the album is b-side material anyway.

Pop does have b-sides like Pop Musik and various mixes of songs. The "Please" single comes in 2 versions: one with the single version of the song and 2 mixes of "Dirty Day" (though not dance mixes), and one other song AND a live EP with 5 tracks, including Please, Streets, With or Without You, and Staring at the Sun.

Numb, Stay and Lemon were all singles.

But Numb was video only.

The Lemon single had all remixes

There is a version of the Stay single that is a borderline EP, with Slow Dancing, the Sinatra duet and a couple live tracks.

rubbish, Zooropa (song) is easily top10, plus there's Wanderer, daddy, stay, lemon, numb, babyface, dirty day! 4singles as well...

Pop does have b-sides like Pop Musik and various mixes of songs.

You're forgetting true b-sides, like Holy Joe and Two Shots. Plus: Happiness, First Night in Hell.

But Numb was video only.

no.

The Lemon single had all remixes

true. 7 versions/formats, consisting of edits & 11(!) remixes.

There is a version of the Stay single that is a borderline EP, with Slow Dancing, the Sinatra duet and a couple live tracks.

No, stay came in two formats: the Live format (BTBS) and the Swing format (sinatra) unfortunately the two were never combined onto one carrier.

Zooropa singles (4):
Numb -> 3 versions (remixes, no proper b-sides, video)
Zooropa -> 3 versions (edits, promo only)
Lemon -> 7 versions (edits & 11(!) remixes
Stay -> 4 versions (edits, remixes, live & 2 b-sides: I've Got You Under My Skin, Slow Dancing)

In between singles (2):
HMTMKMKM no U2 b-s
Miss Sarajevo -> 2 versions (Live, edits, passengers b-s)

Pop Singles (6):
Discothèque -> 5 versions (edits, remixes, Holy Joe)
SATS -> 2 versions (North and South of the River, YBR, edits, remixes)
LNOE -> 2 versions (Pop Muzik, Happiness, Numb remix, First night in Hell)
Please -> 2 versions (Live, edits, Dirty Day remix, I'm not your Baby)
IGWSHA -> 2 versions (Two Shots, Slow dancing, Mofo Remix)
Mofo -> 3 versions (remix+ IGWSHA remiks)

It also has their best song ever made, Zooropa.

finally someone who gets it :applaud:

Combine them all and you've got a killer remix album.
But purely as b-sides, it's a bit meager.

Didn't one of the Pop era singles have a really slow version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday"?

Zooropa didnt really have any song B sides it was more like remixes and I've Got You Under My Skin and Pop did have some but there availaible on various CD singles and a few on Best of 1990-2000 B sides Cd.I am hoping that when Zooropa and Pop remasters are released that the deluxe editions will have the B sides and a few never heard unreleased tracks.

Ive not heard Im Not Your Baby or First Night In Hell...

If someone could hook me up...:shifty:

Well the b-side I'm Not Your Baby is just an instrumental, but the version that is on the soundtrack 'End of Violence' or Collaborations is a duet with Sinead O' Connor.

"First Night In Hell" is just the name of the instrumental mix of LNOE.

Didn't one of the Pop era singles have a really slow version of "Sunday Bloody Sunday"?

IGWSHA...it's just a live recording of the performance from Popmart Sarajevo. Late in the Popmart Tour SBS was resurrected as a regular for the first time since Lovetown(it had been played once or twice on ZooTV, but that's it), and it was resurrected as an Edge solo performance - they turned it into a ballad, and while some find it boring, some, including myself, find it to be beautiful.

SBS was played the first night of ZOO TV Outdoor in Philadelphia, fall 1992. I was there with my buddies. The second night, when I took a girl I was attempting to whoo, she talked about War non-stop before we got there. I couldn't believe they didn't play SBS that night, as well. I'm full of shit and all, but I blame Bono & Co. for me not getting laid that night.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...

Does anyone like the 2 versions of Happiness Is A Warm Gun? I could never get into them at all...

Some of the bsides are on iTunes internationally;

These are on the US site;
Please [studio] EP
IGWSHA - EP

rubbish, Zooropa (song) is easily top10, plus there's Wanderer, daddy, stay, lemon, numb, babyface, dirty day! 4singles as well...
Sorry, but aside from Numb and Lemon and, if I really stretch it, Stay, everything else was a huge step down from Achtung Baby quality. It was a lazy album because they only spent 6 weeks recording. The melodies are far too simple or boring, especially Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others. Zooropa had a cool beginning with the background singing and piano and opening guitar riff; then it's downhill for me. I hate Wanderer and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.

I don't think the lyrics are the problem; it's more the melodies.

I think what turned me around to like Zooropa was when I realized that Lemon was essentially a song played by the 4 of them, yet sounded really complex (to me, anyway).

I've always loved the opening title track, Dirty Day, and Wanderer.

Stay is easily in my top 10 U2 tracks. What a lyric. Wow.

Sorry, but aside from Numb and Lemon and, if I really stretch it, Stay, everything else was a huge step down from Achtung Baby quality. It was a lazy album because they only spent 6 weeks recording. The melodies are far too simple or boring, especially Babyface and Some Days Are Better Than Others. Zooropa had a cool beginning with the background singing and piano and opening guitar riff; then it's downhill for me. I hate Wanderer and Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car.

I don't think the lyrics are the problem; it's more the melodies.
sorry mate but thats complete bollocks.

Its beauty was its simplicity IMO and its such a bonus to get an album from nowhere...no hype,no publicity,not a sausage :drool:

BsB

I hate Wanderer

try the tribute to Johnny Cash version (without Cash's vocals) it's brilliant. With wah-wah-wah-wandering backup vocals by edge and the solo :drool:

YouTube - Wanderer

it's roughly a thousand times better than "one".

Its beauty was its simplicity IMO

I won't argue about its beauty but it's pretty complex in many areas,
-the stacked drumloops; Larry over the nazi drummer boy from Triumph des Willens (or Olympia?)
-the voices in zooropa (Edge v french lady)
-the use of slogans; very Warhol/Pop-art like (predating as well as previewing "Pop")
-Lemon: a 7(!) minute single.

YouTube - Lemon - live and rare

In fact the title track reminds me of "A Day In The Life", arguably the most revered song song from The Beatles' most acclaimed and eclectic album (Sgt. Pepper's)

It's also pretty balanced considering the way they rushed into it (written/recorded while touring) and considering the broad range of styles on it. As far as I'm concerned it perfectly captures the vibe of the tour, but rather than a live album it's an album of full, new songs.

All the b-sides should've been live versions of EBTTRT, Fly, UTEOTW etc.
But going with remixes worked anyway (Lemon #1 US Dance chart)

It has probably already been done in another thread, but you could turn Zooropa into an R&H type album with
-live AB
+originals
+covers

They also really should've pushed Zooropa (edit) as a real single, with video and such. I guess they were just too creative at that point and went with Batman and Passengers in stead. HMTMKMKM is just too good to be a b-side.

I had the Stay single that had Stay, I've Got You Under My Skin, Slow Dancing, Bullet Live, Love is Blindness Live and a long remix of Lemon.

It was cool.

one of those single's has BTBS and LIB live right? where were those recorded?

recorded almost a year apart no less!
Bullet.. is from Dublin RDS, 28.08.93 [the radio broadcast]
LIB is from New York, Yankee Stadium, 30.08.92 aand a damn fine version too!

I think the reason the b-sides on the new freebie are from that era is all most all of the previous b sides were on the complete U2 box set. They may get a re-airing when the newer albums get re-released/remastered.

Back
Top Bottom