Arcade Fire new stuff 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So after seeing them on Saturday (probably one of the best performances by any band I've ever seen) I have to say that, in my humble opinion, I don't think there's a better one-two concert combo than Power Out into Rebellion (Lies). I know I've said that before on here, but after that one-two punch I barely had anything left. It was fantastic. Words can't even begin to describe that night.

So after seeing them on Saturday (probably one of the best performances by any band I've ever seen) I have to say that, in my humble opinion, I don't think there's a better one-two concert combo than Power Out into Rebellion (Lies). I know I've said that before on here, but after that one-two punch I barely had anything left. It was fantastic. Words can't even begin to describe that night.

Going this week, good to hear you had a good show.

Good album, although I won't start throwing out superlatives yet and putting it above Funeral. "Rococo" really sucks.

Similar to Neon Bible in terms of liking, Imps? I realize one listen may not have swayed you either way, so no worries if you're not sure. I'm relieved to hear at least one person who didn't enjoy the first handful of songs liked the album. Figure I'll buy it tomorrow regardless, but at least worries that I'll end up hating it can be somewhat calmed.

I'm relieved to hear at least one person who didn't enjoy the first handful of songs liked the album.

It's not exactly single-heavy. The album is absolutely worth hearing in full, and it's a shame that Neon Bible killed their momentum to such a degree that people's expectations are in the tank...the hype has been minimal, and that's part of the fun. When Neon Bible was released, it matched -- if not surpassed -- the hype for 2007's other marquee album Sound of Silver, but Suburbs? People seem to be amazed that a great band actually delivered.

You can't really blame the lead single either: Ready To Start is hardly Sexy Boots.

I've heard Ready to Start a few times on the quote-alternative-rock-unquote station here in Seattle. It made me smile.

The single situation is odd. I think The Suburbs/Month of May is what RYM/wiki lists as the lead single, but they never receive any airplay where I live, whereas I hear Ready To Start somewhat regularly. It is the de facto lead single, though I don't believe it has received a physical release yet.

Suburbs and Month of May are all I've heard, I think. My worries about the album were entirely based off of those songs. I actually liked Neon Bible quite a bit, sorta shocked to see how many people ended up hating it with reviews for this album. I didn't realize it was quite that unpopular.

Yeah, the Neon Bible chatter surprised me as well.

I was excited about Suburbs and Month of May upon first listen, then realized I didn't like either all that much. The 2 or 3 songs I heard that leaked after that, I liked far better than those first two, which made me feel good.

Similar to Neon Bible in terms of liking, Imps? I realize one listen may not have swayed you either way, so no worries if you're not sure. I'm relieved to hear at least one person who didn't enjoy the first handful of songs liked the album. Figure I'll buy it tomorrow regardless, but at least worries that I'll end up hating it can be somewhat calmed.

Well I'm one of those people for whom Neon Bible hasn't aged particularly well due to its self-seriousness. I've listened several times now and will probably end up preferring it to its predecessor. And while "Ready to Start" and the first double A side didn't wow me, I like them all here (especially "Month of May"). The only songs I actively disliked were the atrocious "Rococo" and the dull "Wasted Hours"/"Dark Blue" tandem. And even though I'm not completely enamored with "Sprawl I," it's a keeper for its twin brother, which is excellent, albeit not quite worth the fawning adoration it has received.

But yeah, good album. Definitely an improvement.

Month of May I already skip every time. Easily the worst song on the album for my money.

I was lucky enough to see them in Boston last night (Sunday) and the new songs sounded good live. Even my friend who bitched and moaned about me dragging her to see some weird band enjoyed herself.

The only downside is that it was only 90 minutes, which I know is normal, but the show was over by 10:30pm. :sad:

I'm looking forward to the MSG live stream.

Suburbs and Month of May are all I've heard, I think. My worries about the album were entirely based off of those songs. I actually liked Neon Bible quite a bit, sorta shocked to see how many people ended up hating it with reviews for this album. I didn't realize it was quite that unpopular.

It has a better sense of forward momentum, more akin to Funeral, but the completeness in the songwriting that you'd find in Neon Bible. The two early-release tracks don't do the album justice in its scope.

When "Wasted Hours" kicks in towards the second half I really enjoy it. "Dark Blue," "Sprawl I" and "Rococo" are the three that I already skip over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom