Arcade Fire Neon Bible + Tour "Part Deux"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Earnie Shavers said:
There is nothing hypocritical in what he says, and what he does (ie going on SNL a few days later). Nothing at all.

why do you think he goes on SNL?

Look, of course he's going to promote his band. But doing interviews and going on TV appearances is arguably NOT shoving music down fans' throats, nor is it overly aggressive marketing, which is what he was talking about in the NME article.

Hypocrisy seems to be a black or white topic for you, U2Man. Open up to shades of gray. :sexywink:

corianderstem said:

:huh:

Since when is 3 and a half stars an unfavorable review?

In regards to the NME article, you've seen the thread on that in EYKIW, right?

If not, please do go over there for an a) amusing; b) horrifying; c) bizarre; d) all of the above thread.

I've seen that thread and it is hilarious. I've refused to comment in there largely because it would fall on deaf ears.

Let's remember one thing:that is most likely not the only thing Win said. He probably made these comments within the context of a longer interview and this is what NME chose to use because it made a better story. Never mind that there's nothing inherently wrong with what he said and the fact that he's entitled to his opinion. Plus he never criticised the music or the bands but rather their marketing campaign.

I'm guessing he was asked to talk about Arcade Fire's unique marketing campaign with the 1-877 number and the Youtube video and then was asked what he thought about other bands' marketing campaigns.

this is just the beginning. just wait 'til arcade fire grows bigger. the bigger they become, the more aggressive the marketing will become. their marketing has definitely been more aggressive this time than when they released funeral, no?

There's a second thread in EYKIW that discussed the statement Win made on their website (or somewhere to that effect) saying it was completely taken out of context ... which is completely believable.

Unshockingly, that seemed to fall on deaf ears to all the naysayers here on Interference. :wink:

U2Man said:
this is just the beginning. just wait 'til arcade fire grows bigger. the bigger they become, the more aggressive the marketing will become. their marketing has definitely been more aggressive this time than when they released funeral, no?

Well, it's obvious you won't be satisfied until everyone in the music industry has been exposed as a big, giant hypocrite. Have fun with that.

corianderstem said:

Well, it's obvious you won't be satisfied until everyone in the music industry has been exposed as a big, giant hypocrite. Have fun with that.

U2man never says anything remotely serious/10

LemonMelon said:

U2man never says anything remotely serious/10

Oh no you di'int!

:wink:

I dunno ... I think he's pretty serious about the big hypocrisy bug in his ear. He harps on it an awful lot. :hmm:

Earnie Shavers said:

Err, to promote his band, to get their music out there to as wide an audience as possible. Problem?

that sounds an awful lot like what u2 etc. want too.

corianderstem said:

wrong. how many have i actually been calling a hypocrite?

corianderstem said:

Oh no you di'int!

I dunno ... I think he's pretty serious about the big hypocrisy bug in his ear. He harps on it an awful lot. :hmm:

I don't necessarily disagree with him. I mean, if you really examine every musician/band's history with a fine-toothed comb, I'm sure you could find and instance or two of hypocrisy.

But really...why does it matter? :huh:

LemonMelon said:

I don't necessarily disagree with him. I mean, if you really examine every musician/band's history with a fine-toothed comb, I'm sure you could find and instance or two of hypocrisy.

But really...why does it matter? :huh:

because U2Man said so...:wink:

Earnie Shavers said:

They do, yes, of course. But this has nothing to do with his quotes at all.

i dont know, u2 drove through new york on a truck, and had it shown on mtv. arcade fire appears on snl.

u2 wants people to buy htdaab, arcade fire wants people to buy neon bible.

their purpose is the exact same. only the scale is different.

No, no, I'll take the consequences of my single-smiley post!

So, uh ... Arcade Fire. Good band, right?

yeah, i fell for their aggressive marketing and bought a ticket for their show here in the spring.

See, now the aggressive marketing completely went over my head, and I didn't think to check tour schedules and ticket sale dates in time, and now I've missed out.

:(

Maybe they need to be more aggressive. Perhaps had they played on a flat bed truck through downtown Seattle while hawking their new brand of sneakers with Microsoft sponsorship, I might have had a chance.

Hee! And forgetting to remind myself not to let your posts get under my skin.

At least Neon Bible comes out very soon. I can make another two weeks without listening to that leaked version. :drool:

The SNL performances were good. They looked a bit nervous for Intervention. I still haven't heard an amazing live version of it compared to the record; hope they sort out the live arrangement for the full-fledged tour.

Every other song on the record takes on a new vitality live, though. My Body is a Cage live is just- it's amazing. They opened a show with it and I was all like :ohmy: :sad: :drool:

im going to the dc show! my ticketbastard skillz0rz weren't quite on par with some of the other folks here (lucky bastards!) so i'll be back about 13 rows, but im just happy to have scored tix. im so geeked, i can't wait!

i got home at about 12:45 last nite, and was all "shnap! i forgot the arcade fire is on snl!" fortunately, keep the car running was at the very end of the show. freaking immense it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom