ANZAC Cove, Turkey Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quid licet Iovi, non licet bovi.

SOMETHING! but uh...that's all I know lol.

unless licet means the same thing as elicit, meaning "something brings about Iovi?" and I'm guessing Bovi means Nothing.

I have an idea of what this means but I'm not sure how to write it.

Oh DUH! I should've known that was think. :doh:

And you definitely have me beat at the latin lol, I only know a few phrases here and there, and can mostly just figure out what some stuff means
Some people know it because it's used in one of the most famous Latin sentences.

Cogito ergo sum.

I had Latin in highschool, obligatory for highest level stuff. I sucked at it though, which shows since I can only make simple sentences and don't remember anything after only 2 years. :lol:

I checked to say what Avus meant, and it said it was Grandpa but I didn't know if that was right, so I just tried to figure out the rest of it for myself.

Don't worry, Japanese and I are the same way.

Omg you learned Japanese? :jealous: If I'm ever gonna learn another language, that's definatly the one I want to learn! It seems so tough tho. :crack:

SOMETHING! but uh...that's all I know lol.

unless licet means the same thing as elicit, meaning "something brings about Iovi?" and I'm guessing Bovi means Nothing.

I have an idea of what this means but I'm not sure how to write it.

Well, let me give you a little hint then. :wink: Iovi = latin name for Jupiter, the main God(Zeus in Greek).

:mac: I enjoy confusing Liam muchos.

Ok, Liam fails. :| He claims "Et tu, Brute" is from Shakespeare.

Some people know it because it's used in one of the most famous Latin sentences.

Cogito ergo sum.

I had Latin in highschool, obligatory for highest level stuff. I sucked at it though, which shows since I can only make simple sentences and don't remember anything after only 2 years. :lol:

Omg you learned Japanese? :jealous: If I'm ever gonna learn another language, that's definatly the one I want to learn! It seems so tough tho. :crack:

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefore I am?

Japanese...is very difficult. I've taken it 5 or so years, and, well...it's not pretty.

私 の 犬 は 私 の 宿題 を 食べた。

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefore I am?

Japanese...is very difficult. I've taken it 5 or so years, and, well...it's not pretty.

私 の 犬 は 私 の 宿題 を 食べた。
Yep! :D

It sounds and seems very difficult, not only do you need to learn a language, you also need to learn all the signs. :crack:

Errrrrr... konichiwa?

Omae koronimas? (I can't spell this shit, I know!)

:lmao: damn I was really far off. I have no idea now.

Ok, it's another saying in Latin, what they said to their kids. It means.. hm how can I translate this properly.. What's legitimate for Jupiter isn't legitimate for a cow/cattle.
Aka that I can do it doesn't mean you can do it.

Aaand I googled it and it seems like I phail'd with the first word. It's quod, not quid apparently. :scratch:

Yep! :D

It sounds and seems very difficult, not only do you need to learn a language, you also need to learn all the signs. :crack:

Errrrrr... konichiwa?

Omae koronimas? (I can't spell this shit, I know!)

Ok, it's another saying in Latin, what they said to their kids. It means.. hm how can I translate this properly.. What's legitimate for Jupiter isn't legitimate for a cow/cattle.
Aka that I can do it doesn't mean you can do it.

Aaand I googled it and it seems like I phail'd with the first word. It's quod, not quid apparently. :scratch:

genke da ka? :wink:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with koronimasu though.

And the Latin phrase makes sense now that you took out Quid. Quid Pro Quo is what I was thinking of with saying Quid means something.

genke da ka? :wink:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with koronimasu though.

And the Latin phrase makes sense now that you took out Quid. Quid Pro Quo is what I was thinking of with saying Quid means something.

Well quid and quod are quite the same. It's like this and that.

I have no clue what that means! :lol:

I was trying to say I love you, which is the only phrase I know besides I want to kill you. :wink:

Well quid and quod are quite the same. It's like this and that.

I have no clue what that means! :lol:

I was trying to say I love you, which is the only phrase I know besides I want to kill you. :wink:

Oh ok lol

It means how are you :wink: hai genki desu, means you are well genki ja na (or is it Naa :hmm) means not so good.

Oh! See, that's the funny thing, that's probably the one phrase in Japanese I should know, but do not.

G'nite Liam :wave:

Oh ok lol

It means how are you :wink: hai genki desu, means you are well genki ja na (or is it Naa :hmm) means not so good.

Oh! See, that's the funny thing, that's probably the one phrase in Japanese I should know, but do not.

Ah, I see. :D

Well, I know that phrase in quite a few languages, but I learnt it from my father so I've no clue how to write it!

Is omae korosu correct spelling? Or should be it be karosu or so?

:wave: Hey Vazza

hey ash how's life? haven't seen you in a bit, then again i've been doing mostly drive by posts. which this probably is too, i need to do the dishes, get ready to go out, etc.

Well, it is - as in Caesar didn't really say it. Doesn't mean it's not in Latin, though.

ugh, I need to go to bed anyway. Night guys. :wave:

They're still not sure wether he said it or not. According to a Suetonius, a Roman biographer, he did, though that was in Greek. But still, those words were around WAY before Shakespeare.

G'nite Liam :wave:

Ah, I see. :D

Well, I know that phrase in quite a few languages, but I learnt it from my father so I've no clue how to write it!

Is omae korosu correct spelling? Or should be it be karosu or so?

:wave: Hey Vazza

I actually had to look it up because I'm more familiar with the word "ai" being used for love. As far as I understand it's koisuru meaning "To be in love with".

"Koi" is a love for the opposite sex, or a longing feeling for a specific person. It can be described as "romantic love" or "passionate love." While "ai" has the same meaning as "koi," it also has a definition of a general feeling of love. "Koi" can be selfish, but "ai" is a real love. Here are some lines that explain them well:
Koi is always wanting. Ai is always giving.

Now as far as omae is concerned, I'm not sure, but I don't think that's the gentlest way to refer to someone else. As it were, I believe what you would say (rather formally, sorry, I can't quite remember a less formal way of saying it) is "omae o koisuru" (Oh-my-eh, o, co-E-sue-roo). Another way to say you is anata, I would think that might be a better way to say it, but I'm really not sure.

hey ash how's life? haven't seen you in a bit, then again i've been doing mostly drive by posts. which this probably is too, i need to do the dishes, get ready to go out, etc.

Life's pretty great except for it being the final two weeks of school, and that is of course quite the drag.

ah that is stressful.

so are we stuck as the 2nd sticky to a thread that spun off and copied ours? i protest.

Yeah just a tad.

Sticky threads update the same way that regular threads do, most recent posted in on top. So as soon as I hit enter on this, we'll be the top thread.

I actually had to look it up because I'm more familiar with the word "ai" being used for love. As far as I understand it's koisuru meaning "To be in love with".

Now as far as omae is concerned, I'm not sure, but I don't think that's the gentlest way to refer to someone else. As it were, I believe what you would say (rather formally, sorry, I can't quite remember a less formal way of saying it) is "omae o koisuru" (Oh-my-eh, o, co-E-sue-roo). Another way to say you is anata, I would think that might be a better way to say it, but I'm really not sure.

Ah I fucked up badly then! :lol:

I really should be making dinner now, though I'm still not hungry. It's almost 8pm and I'm used to eating around 6-6.30. :crack:

Gonna make a fancy pasta sauce with macaroni I guess.

Ah I fucked up badly then! :lol:

It's understandable. What a lot of people don't understand is that when Japanese is romanized, the way that it's written would not be pronounced the same way it would be in English: i.e. Omae looks like, in English, it would be pronounced O-May or something of the sort, but like I said, it would be closer to Oh-My-Eh.

I think I was up around 8 on Friday too, so make that three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom