any words of wisdom for a girl who's boyfriend is about to go in the airforce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cali*gal

The Fly
alright, so i am still relatively new here and everyone kinda already seems to know each other but i am reaching out here. my boyfriend is leaving for the airforce in a month and a half and i am proud of him, but hello fear. anyways i was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to stay in touch other then letters, or if it is not as bad as i am fearing. we have ben apart for a year at college, so i am hoping it won't be much worse, did i mention the fear. alright so thank you and i hope to get to start talking to more of you soon

Letters are a great way to keep in touch, along with email.

Is he going overseas?

If so you may not get lots of letters from him, but don't worry, they are real busy over there.

I dated a guy and when he went off to boot camp and he told me he'd write me all the time (I was 18/ 1994). However, he didn't write me at all, and I thought it was because of me and got way upset over it. When he returned he said that they kept him busy from the time he woke up to the time he went to bed. I didn't really believe him (I'd seen to many movies where these guys have time to write to their sweethearts). Needless to say I broke up with him because I thought he was an asshole for not writing me. To this day I still feel bad about the way I treated him :sad:

As long as you two (teehee) keep your love for each other, you will always be close in spirit.

thanks for that, i was thinking about the same thing that he would not have time to write me and i would get all pissy about it. but it's been over 3 and a half years now and if he can put up with my U2 and larry infatuations then i guess that we can survive this :larry: (it helps that he loves U2 don't know if it would work out other wise ) alrighty, thank you

Well, drgn and I have been maintaining a long distance relationship...though he's not in the Air Force or anything like that.

Your options are limited. Send letters...but don't just send letters...send photos, drawings, poems, some of his favorite song lyrics. Print off pictures from the Net or cut pictures out of magazines of his favorite actors/actresses and musicians. Put on lipstick and make lip prints on the letter. Trace your hand and send it to him so he can "hold" it. Do little things like that so that when you send a letter it's not just a letter.

You don't want to send letters though...so if you are still against that...would he be able to watch videotapes? You could make him videotapes and send them to him, if he would have somewhere to watch them. When I was away at a different school and was livin' in the dorms, John sent me a videotape he'd made, and all of the gals in the dorm were so jealous...everybody was crowdin' in my room to watch it.

awww.....keep in touch with him even if he can't keep in touch with you.....know that he's getting your stuff and appreciate that much.....he may be busy but he'll love getting stuff from you....

thanks everyone your advice is cheering me up, i am not against letters especially with the cute idea of putting stuff in it. *shuffles through the U2 lyric archive in my head*. what a cute idea of videos too. he will be bombarded by my writings. whew i feel a bit better now.

My bro just joined the Army...actually he's already through basic and moved on to his job training.

My only advice is to write letters all the time! They get lonely and my bro was BEGGING for us to write to him. And he took every spare minute to write to us. He was in basic for 10 weeks and I (personally) got 5 letters from him...and he was writing to all the other members of my family also. Even if your boyfriend doesn't write you as much as you write to him...he's probably wishing he could! lol

Anyway...the time actually passes pretty quickly. And you've been apart for awhile...so it shouldn't be so bad. :)

How long did he enlist for? My bro's in for 4 years and I'm really scared he'll go overseas. And there is a good possiblity that he will. *sigh* But I won't get into those issues right now...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom