American Soul.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
awesome video

Absolutely! Very cool.

I have to admit that I really didn't like this song on the first listen, but now I am really digging it. That's a great sign for me, because most of my favorite songs took a few listens to connect with. Great groove, rocking, and I actually really like the lyrics (reaction to the refujesus lyric was completely overblown here IMO).

I am looking forward to hearing this one live. I've really enjoyed the new songs and am getting really getting excited about the new album!

The video makes the song sound better somehow? It grew on me ever so slightly but still not a favorite.

Naff was the correct word for me (as someone else said).

Really looking forward to the album, though!

I don’t know if it’s because this is the newest song that I’ve heard, but I’ve found the need to listen to it again everyday so far... I really really enjoy the first minute of this song, so excited about SOE :hyper:

I'd like the song so much more if it had different lyrics. I just can't take the phrase "rock and roll" in a song anymore. Automatic gag reflex. This song is like a lyrical checklist- let's see...grace - check, sound - check, heart - check, soul - check, Jesus - whoa we forgot Jesus; where to put him...refugee sounds Jesusy...

The music's not bad. Sounds like there's a lot of breathing room, which is nice. Decent groove. If this were the demo phase I'd be cautiously optimistic. Keep it up, U2, maybe one day you'll nail one!

I'd like the song so much more if it had different lyrics. I just can't take the phrase "rock and roll" in a song anymore. Automatic gag reflex. This song is like a lyrical checklist- let's see...grace - check, sound - check, heart - check, soul - check, Jesus - whoa we forgot Jesus; where to put him...refugee sounds Jesusy...

The music's not bad. Sounds like there's a lot of breathing room, which is nice. Decent groove. If this were the demo phase I'd be cautiously optimistic. Keep it up, U2, maybe one day you'll nail one!

Watching this video was my second listen of the song. Was ambivalent after the first one, but this is a decent track. It's not as cloying and awkward as Get Out, and I really like Volcano so the core of it is already something I'm partial to. I do prefer the retro/War vibe of Volcano, but American Soul is certainly better than Stand Up Comedy and ABOY if we're talking modern U2 rawkers.

listening to this now - the production is great. Shame about the chorus lyrics but if I didn't know English I'd love the song. It demolishes Stand Up Comedy and ABOY, and I'd take it over Vertigo too. And Boots.

The production on Get Out is also very good. At the very least we're going to get an excellent sounding album

Watching this video was my second listen of the song. Was ambivalent after the first one, but this is a decent track. It's not as cloying and awkward as Get Out, and I really like Volcano so the core of it is already something I'm partial to. I do prefer the retro/War vibe of Volcano, but American Soul is certainly better than Stand Up Comedy and ABOY if we're talking modern U2 rawkers.

I'd rank it well below ABOY and just slightly ahead of SUC...and nowhere close to Volcano.

i actually kind of like ABOY. Tho a naughties U2 rock song, it resists becoming "rawk." There's a nice moodiness to the arrangement that saves the song. I used to hate this one solely bc of the grating "Alllllll because of youuu" 2nd line in the chorus, but I've learned to live with it.

i like the ABOY and Stand Up Comedy comparisons because this song fits that STYLE of rocker.

Stand up Comedy i don’t care for because while sonically it is okay (6 or 7/10) lyrically it is a mess (2/10). Over all this song is a 4/10 for me.

ABOY sonically is 8/10 and lyrically it’s 6/10(intellectual tortoise is a rough one) and the delivery of The chorus is out of key slightly and the timing is too soon(corrected on the single). i give this song a solid 6/10 and the single version is a 6.5/10.

American Soul is so new that my opinion will change but...sonically it has some really cool things going on that keep drawing me back (7/10) and lyrically im not hearing the cluster fuck that some feel it is (6 or 7 out of 10). Overall it’s a 6.5/10 for me or i would say preferable to the previous two singles mentioned. Again, this song is so new i might hate it or love it in 3 months.

As for the recycled Volcano sound/Bridge....I’m not big on the idea of taking from an existing album cut, companion or not but it doesn’t bother me at all.

As for the future best selling tour shirt “refu-Jesus” Line....I️ actually think it’s fine and a decent play on words. It’s definitely not as weird as “Soul rocking people” or “intellectual blah blah blah”.

i mean I’m not buying the shirt or getting a tattoo of it but it’s okay.

America is a thought!!!

Has anyone read Blake's SOI or SOE? My understanding is that he cross pollinated ideas and lyrics. Is that true? If so, I'm sure the Volcano reference is 100% deliberate with that in mind.

Has anyone read Blake's SOI or SOE? My understanding is that he cross pollinated ideas and lyrics. Is that true? If so, I'm sure the Volcano reference is 100% deliberate with that in mind.

I get that, but Volcano was a disaster of a song to begin with and the band should have issued a public apology for it sooner than bring it back to life in the form of a part 2.

True.
I feel the band has gotten a lot more heady with their songwriting. As in... from the head down, rather than from the heart up.

Back
Top Bottom