Am I the only one...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rachel D. said:
What is ITABTAW?

I Threw A Brick Through A Window

I don't care for 'One', and never have. I think if they hadn't released it commercially, I would have been a bigger fan of it.
I am in agreement about Stay though. I think every single thing about that song is spectacular in every single way.

I think one is a great song and has a great message, but frankly I'm sick of it.

"Oh, there's a war? Let's play One!"
"Hurricane? One will fix it!"
"Someone died? We'll play One!"
"People starving? One!"
ad nauseum.

I agree about Stay, too.

Kristie said:
I think one is a great song and has a great message, but frankly I'm sick of it.

"Oh, there's a war? Let's play One!"
"Hurricane? One will fix it!"
"Someone died? We'll play One!"
"People starving? One!"
ad nauseum.

That, and 'Everybody Hurts'.

It's kind of funny you should mention that - I made a comment about it this afternoon to a friend.
What really gets me about it though, is that crappy reality shows feel the need to play it when someone gets voted out/evicted etc. It's a stupid thing to get annoyed about, but it does always really aggravate me.

mackemlad said:
I love the album version of One

But I have heard so many poor versions of this song live.
I agree it is done to death.

Add to this list

Pride(just short of 700 times played)
With or with out you
New years day
Sunday bloody sunday
I will follow(700 time played)

Its time these songs were given a rest.

Totally agree with this! :yes:

Studio version of 'one' is perfection, however one live really doesn't do anything for me. Streets on the other hand is almost always fantastic performed live. So i guess that may be why 'streets' is more favoured by U2 fans. Streets has the upper hand over one cause both studio and live versions of it are just brilliant. I mean you never see a streets is overrated thread on here.

There's a few more to be added to you overplayed list,

Bullet the blue sky
beautiful day

Earnie Shavers said:
It is a really great song. But.... it is played to death/hyped to death/incorrectly used to death/and 99 out of every 100 performances are about as lucklustre as U2 can muster. If they just saved it for a handful of special shows each tour, it would suddenly seem so much better. Having said that, I adore it and I'll bet my house that in 30 years once U2's jet has crashed, every bit of their remaining soul has been packaged and repackaged and torn to commercial shreds - One will rise above as their signature song and there won't be a damn thing anyone will be able to do about it. Overrated? Perhaps. Is there better in the U2 catalogue? There most certainly is by the truckload. Brilliant anyway? Definitely.

I agree with everything in this post! :up:

One is miles away from ordinary!
40883one_trabant_longshot.jpg

One is smokin'!
40883one_trabant-med.jpg

One is shagadelic, baby!
40883one_drag-med.jpg

One is timeless. It cannot be dated. Period.

Back
Top Bottom