All Southern Hemisphere tour information/rumours here please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So is this the fat lady singing? Should I book my annual leave now? Ive been holding on to some leave in case U2 toured Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane but not Perth.

Like you, I have been holding off on planning time off for the end of the year just waiting for something, SOMETHING about the tour here.
After the massive turnout last time if they don't tour here at all then that would be a completely poor choice and would leave a LOT of fans very ticked off. The AUS dollar is at .91, and I think from memory at the time of the Vertigo tour it was somewhere like .70, so that's definitely not the problem.

If U2 extend 360 into 2011, it'll be a first for them. Too bad they took a 8 month break, could have fit some shows if possible. Thank god for Miami :hyper:

still don't get the massive hiatus after two legs.
2011 is fine by me, as long as they get here... i'll buy tickets tomorrow!
same here. i was hoping this meant they'd be finishing up songs of ascent but we've yet to hear any confirmation of this, so i don't know. the only thing i can figure is maybe by giving them some breaks in between legs, they'll be able to do five legs or something and really make it a world tour.

and you and me both! 2010 is shaping up to be an insane year so i'd actually prefer they wait till 2011!

i obviously won't be seeing U2 in the southern hemisphere because of where i live, but looking big picture, i'm really hoping that they schedule these dates for 2011. i think it makes those rumors of a new album towards the end of 2010 look more realistic.

The reason why I'm not convinced they're not coming is the stages. I don't think they'd build three of these huge, expensive, apparently revolutionary monstrosities if they're not going to take them around the world to get every bit of value out of them that they can.

The reason why I'm not convinced they're not coming is the stages. I don't think they'd build three of these huge, expensive, apparently revolutionary monstrosities if they're not going to take them around the world to get every bit of value out of them that they can.
exactly. they're going to undertake this expensive construction and barely use it?

if they do come down here they'll probably do what i've advocated for any reasonably large production - set up the stage and put shows on until they don't sell out anymore.

it may be hopeful, but it's the best decision they can make.

exactly. they're going to undertake this expensive construction and barely use it?

if they do come down here they'll probably do what i've advocated for any reasonably large production - set up the stage and put shows on until they don't sell out anymore.

it may be hopeful, but it's the best decision they can make.
i don't think it's any coincidence that (from the 90s on) their biggest stage setups were on the world tours. zoo tv, popmart, vertigo...these all visited the southern hemisphere. though even for elevation, they nearly did visit. they've got a huge fan base in south america and australia and they know it. ever since they broke into mainstream they've visited, save for the elevation tour of course. i really doubt they're going to suddenly just visit north america and europe.

though that being said, it would be nice for them to do a repeat of popmart and see them play in (at least) south africa again. they could even close there again and bono can have a huge wank about africa. we shall see.

Seems completely unrealistic given U2 and where they are now, but it did occur to me that they could pull something of another Lovetown in the Southern Hempisphere in a year or two. A stripped down stage (though not too much so) that's easier to travel with, possibly in support of SoA, possibly not. Just thinking aloud, but it doesn't seem quite as ridiculous thinking this as it would have six months ago.

Seems completely unrealistic given U2 and where they are now, but it did occur to me that they could pull something of another Lovetown in the Southern Hemisphere in a year or two. A stripped down stage (though not too much so) that's easier to travel with, possibly in support of SoA, possibly not. Just thinking aloud, but it doesn't seem quite as ridiculous thinking this as it would have six months ago.

I was thinking about that the other day, neat idea...hey, that might happen.

I think it is the third stage that is really costing them an arm and a leg. If they could work out a schedule with the southern hemisphere by only using two stages that would save them a lot of money I think. Heck, schedule the concerts on weekends like friday through sundays only and that would give them 4-5 days off between each concert to deal with only having two stages. I think somehow logistically they could work it out. I'm sure they could play two shows in just about every city in the southern hemisphere. for example play sydney on friday/saturday or friday/sunday or saturday/sunday then take monday through thursday off for moving the next stage to it's destination, then hit up the next concert the following weekend. to me this seems more affordable and better for fans since the shows would be on the weekends. but of course the availability of the stadiums would come into a factor as well. point being, with 4-5 days off between each concert i think it would work.

Isn't that what AC/DC just did? They played Thursday-Saturday-Monday nights. u2 could easily do this. In reality the only multi date cities would be Melbourne and Sydney.

you know what gets me. yes it's all expensive but how are they worried about money? their bank accounts would be bottomless...

PopMart Tour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maslina_limon.jpg

I don't think it would be proper to call U2 360 a "world tour" if they end up touring just two continents.

not sure if true or not but hey I am still hopeful based on what I've read on other forums, i.e. someone heard on Triple M that U2 are coming March 2011 (as they were discussing current, past, future tours) and another poster 'in the know' has also confirmed the likelihood of March 2011 too for Australia

adding to that, a gf of mine (who knows nada) told me she heard/read just last week the same info, i.e. March 2011 for all cities, except Perth :sad: and I am in Perth but will happily FLY over east as have done MOST tours

so there's still 'hope' I say :hyper: until it states otherwise, they ARE coming to OZ :reject:

I don't think it would be proper to call U2 360 a "world tour" if they end up touring just two continents.

I imagine there are US acts that have called their stuff "world tours" because they hit Canada, but I would hope for a little more from U2.

Hell, at this point, I think it's fair to expect U2's "world" to include Africa.

not sure if true or not but hey I am still hopeful based on what I've read on other forums, i.e. someone heard on Triple M that U2 are coming March 2011 (as they were discussing current, past, future tours) and another poster 'in the know' has also confirmed the likelihood of March 2011 too for Australia

adding to that, a gf of mine (who knows nada) told me she heard/read just last week the same info, i.e. March 2011 for all cities, except Perth :sad: and I am in Perth but will happily FLY over east as have done MOST tours

so there's still 'hope' I say :hyper: until it states otherwise, they ARE coming to OZ :reject:

well the music journo who said 2011 on MMM sounded pretty confident, and he's been around a long while. but it's nothinc concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom