All Critical Reviews of the New album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just on the subject of the back catalogue and someone earlier suggesting huge sales? erm... yes, well click below it's a long way down to 65 (U218) & 70 (JT)... digital music store charts are never always the best gauge once the big national charts come along. Not quite Kate Bush numbers I'm afraid.

Official Albums Chart UK Top 100 - 20th September 2014 | The UK Charts | Top 40

Also as to users of other phone brands and devices? I am sure they have found ways to get the album should they wish to do so. :hmm:

Just on the subject of the back catalogue and someone earlier suggesting huge sales? erm... yes, well click below it's a long way down to 65 (U218) & 70 (JT)... digital music store charts are never always the best gauge once the big national charts come along. Not quite Kate Bush numbers I'm afraid.

Also as to users of other phone brands and devices? I am sure they have found ways to get the album should they wish to do so. :hmm:

Actually those are impressive numbers. You're talking about an album 27 years old, and one that like a decade old charting again. And they did it pretty much based on digital sales from one outlet, and they did it in the UK with 5 or 6 days of sales. Not too shabby.

I'm hoping for maybe more albums to re enter in the US chart. Would be cool to see at least 5. Fingers crossed.

At one point late last week and over the weekend, the US album chart had 8 U2 albums in the top 50. U218 was top-10 in 40-some countries at one point over the weekend.

These digital charts are probably updated daily/hourly/by the minute?

Also for folks with Android the BeatsMusic app has offered free streaming of the SoI album since last Wednesday.

Did anyone else read that the free album will "go away" Oct. 13/14 when the physical album is released? In other words, if folks don't download it by then they will have to pay for it? I also assume the BeatsMusic free offer goes away at that time too. We'll see I suppose.

Did anyone else read that the free album will "go away" Oct. 13/14 when the physical album is released? In other words, if folks don't download it by then they will have to pay for it? I also assume the BeatsMusic free offer goes away at that time too. We'll see I suppose.

I also read it that way and it makes sense. Hopefully all the others who have not been given the album for free and don't have Apple stuff will be curious enough to buy the album because they want to see and hear what all this fuss and buzz has actually been about :wink:

Great review by a website I read frequently, AbsolutePunk: 8/10

this is probably the best review of SOI I've read yet. the reviewer clearly gets U2, and really delved into the record itself.

Songs of Innocence packs little bits of what we’d all expect from a U2 album into its 11 eclectic songs, but it also subverts expectations of what we would think a post-2000 U2 album should sound like.

great summary.

Yes, and I said as much in my comment (underline emphasis for YOU):

This is the second response you've made to one of my comments in as many days that indicates either lazy reading, or a reading comprehension issue. So please, either try to read more carefully, or go back to making U2 vs. Coldplay threads. Thanks.

Your full comment was yet another of your cynical quasi-theories about the band and Bono in particular that don't make any sense.

He sounds like he's in a completely different place than he's been since ATYCLB. It's nice to hear some of the over the top bombast gone, and recognise that they're a band who have always collectively exceeded the sum of their individual talents. Of course, we've seen faux-humble Bono before, but this feels a bit different. Is this Bono really laying himself bare, or just changing his tune because he knows what the image of him is and he has to? I don't know, but whatever the reason I like it.

Oh, and for someone with a history for crazy theories you're not in any position to preach about threads.

People are more annoyed by receiving an album without asking for it than they are by having all of their phone calls, text messages, and emails monitored.

Indeed. Getting 11 music files (if you have Itunes setup to automatically get the files, as I understand it) is "bad", but peanuts compared to how much monitoring goes on.

I'm expecting the band to be on the next cover of Q. Comes out around the 26th of every month I think

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

A German music magazine that's just kind of the German Pitchfork :)yuck:) has written a very harsh, badly and quite aggressively worded "review" of the album and was confronted with thousands of very unfriendly reader comments. They actually responded to this "shitstorm" today by saying they've never experienced anything like this and that fans should understand that it one's person subjective opinion and that you can argue or not argue about taste. I'm not liking them at all but kudos to them to actually take the criticism seriously. :lol:

A German music magazine that's just kind of the German Pitchfork :)yuck:) has written a very harsh, badly and quite aggressively worded "review" of the album and was confronted with thousands of very unfriendly reader comments. They actually responded to this "shitstorm" today by saying they've never experienced anything like this and that fans should understand that it one's person subjective opinion and that you can argue or not argue about taste. I'm not liking them at all but kudos to them to actually take the criticism seriously. :lol:

If only the U.S. was like Germany......

.....at soccer.

the singles were at no. 2 behind One Direction and October was at 97(!) in the itunes charts immediately after the release if i recall correctly...

and c'mon, Kate Bush is a British institution (and yes i do think that there is some kind of major British bigotry at play in the UK as far as U2 are concerned); she hasn't been in the public eye for forever, and is riding on her first live shows since forever - you can't compare!

also, will be interesting to see what happens when the physical release comes along in October...

Bam! There it is. "Hipster Tsunami of Whinging" -- can the admins quick make this a new folder here?

:up: the whinging is truly pathetic - i'm not reading about it anywhere apart from in here because it is so utterly pointless.... people are embarrassing themselves...

Reviews for Songs of Innocence by U2 - Metacritic

I wish it had a higher metascore than 66... do we have any good reviews to count on? Maybe Q? This album is rated lower than all of their post 2000 albums, which just seems insane. Most reviews reek of extreme bias. But then again, we all know that.

That's a bit ridiculous.

Whatever, reviews these days matter less and less. Great example from the gaming world is Destiny. Came out last Tuesday funnily enough and was easily the most hyped game of the year, yet it has a 75 on Metacritic right now. (which, mind you is pretty low for a huge budget game like Destiny (games critics inflate scores like hell))

Yet the game is selling truckloads and a lot of people are enjoying the hell out of it. Numbers talk, a vocal minority (i.e. reviewers) shouldn't be given so much attention IMO.

I want an app that will hide any mention or video or audio or image featuring Justin Bieber. Maybe if I go bananas on Twitter for a week and enlist Amnesty International in the cause someone will do that for me.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom