All Critical Reviews of the New album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Again I ask: has anyone heard this kind of incessant, immature, clueless and almost obsessive whining and crying about a gift album from anyone in Brazil? How about South Africa? Japan? India? Or is it mainly coming from the U.S. and certain European countries?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using U2 Interference mobile app

Its the english speaking countries mate, there only seems to be hatred towards the band in the uk/usa/oz

Those comments. How long has it been officially cool to hate U2? 1988?

Just going off my own experiences in the uk I'd say from 2005 onwards. Vertigo tour onwards is when all the bono hate started.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

This is quite possibly the most honest thing I've ever seen Bono say in a long time:

He sounds like he's in a completely different place than he's been since ATYCLB. It's nice to hear some of the over the top bombast gone, and recognise that they're a band who have always collectively exceeded the sum of their individual talents. Of course, we've seen faux-humble Bono before, but this feels a bit different. Is this Bono really laying himself bare, or just changing his tune because he knows what the image of him is and he has to? I don't know, but whatever the reason I like it.

Because clearly Bono has never said that U2 before.

Just going off my own experiences in the uk I'd say from 2005 onwards. Vertigo tour onwards is when all the bono hate started.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

It's crazy, because when I actually speak to people they normally have a soft spot for U2, but saying that comments made after online articles are pretty much always the same no matter what the subject

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

From the comment section under a Guardian article:

"U2's albums are made using algorithm's designed by Eno in the 90's ,just like Apple's software they are designed to eliminate thoughts."

"Mega rich tax dodgers in alliance with a corporate monstrosity invade the music libaries of millions of people - bacause they have the power to do that - as a marketing ploy. As a statement of contempt, it's as big and loud and vulgar as I imagine a U2 concert is. Rock n roll is dead, embalmed and being used as a dart board by Bono."

:lol:

Nice one from GQ...reviews are probably 70 percent positive thus far

"U2's albums are made using algorithm's designed by Eno in the 90's ,just like Apple's software they are designed to eliminate thoughts."

The Mad Scientist

Brian-Eno-4.52012-i1.jpg

It's crazy, because when I actually speak to people they normally have a soft spot for U2, but saying that comments made after online articles are pretty much always the same no matter what the subject

NUl4kSH.jpg

Maybe they should remix Unknown Caller with new lyrics explaining how to delete the album.

:lol:

I've been traveling most of the day but just read in an above post that it's about 70% positive. My biggest worry is they take the 30% to heart and either delay or or choose not to release Songs of Experience.

I think all the negative critics are going to feel pretty silly in a couple of weeks.

Fuck the critics, dont take my tickets!!

...and perfect timing for reading this blurb from the National Post:

Cultural Studies: Are U2 even better than the real thing after their Apple release stunt for Songs of Innocence? | National Post

3. THE CRITICS

Time was when music critics acted as gatekeepers for listeners pondering which precious few, expensive LP/cassette/CDs they should purchase. Reviews would be based on good access to advance copies, but due to labels’ cost-cutting and paranoia about leaks, physical promo has been replaced by poor-quality streams and often just a supervised listen or two. With surprise releases such as U2’s, writers are truly scrambling. Harried by their outlets’ desire to be “first” on everything, they’re reduced to hedging bets while meeting super-tight deadlines. Witness Caspar Llewellyn-Smith’s statement about Songs of Innocence in The Guardian: “all is opaque, at least on a first listen.” Music fans need such “considered opinions” like a fish needs a bicycle. The best a critic can hope to do is to add context and illuminate certain aspects of the record for those who will have had ample chance to listen already. The most worthwhile critical writing does this anyway. Anyone can tweet first reactions; maybe the surprise release will convince editors to relent and allow writers the chance to reflect once again.

Hear hear.

...and perfect timing for reading this blurb from the National Post:

Cultural Studies: Are U2 even better than the real thing after their Apple release stunt for Songs of Innocence? | National Post

3. THE CRITICS

Time was when music critics acted as gatekeepers for listeners pondering which precious few, expensive LP/cassette/CDs they should purchase. Reviews would be based on good access to advance copies, but due to labels’ cost-cutting and paranoia about leaks, physical promo has been replaced by poor-quality streams and often just a supervised listen or two. With surprise releases such as U2’s, writers are truly scrambling. Harried by their outlets’ desire to be “first” on everything, they’re reduced to hedging bets while meeting super-tight deadlines. Witness Caspar Llewellyn-Smith’s statement about Songs of Innocence in The Guardian: “all is opaque, at least on a first listen.” Music fans need such “considered opinions” like a fish needs a bicycle. The best a critic can hope to do is to add context and illuminate certain aspects of the record for those who will have had ample chance to listen already. The most worthwhile critical writing does this anyway. Anyone can tweet first reactions; maybe the surprise release will convince editors to relent and allow writers the chance to reflect once again.

Hear hear.

Holy crap! the author hit on my thought earlier today about the "every third album" phenomenon: TUF, AB, ATYCLB and now SoI.

Again I ask: has anyone heard this kind of incessant, immature, clueless and almost obsessive whining and crying about a gift album from anyone in Brazil? How about South Africa? Japan? India? Or is it mainly coming from the U.S. and certain European countries?

I have read some whining yes about U2 giving their album for free here in Brazil. People are not too worried about how good Songs is. That's a shame. But as I said before, I really don't care about that anymore. After more than 20 years of being a U2 fan why should I give a damn what anyone says about them? Or how many albums will they sell? Most great rock band are dead now. Who is still active today? Red Hot, Pearl Jam, Echo and the Bunnymen, New Order and not many more. We have a U2 new album? Yeeesss thanks very much! And its a awesome album! Well, I really, reallyyy wasn't expecting that. We should be grateful. If people don't like it, or don't give the album a chance, well its their loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom