All Critical Reviews of the New album here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure a lot of it is done already so they will release it no matter what. Once it's released and the tour is over there will be the questions if they want to do anything more and with which producers or call it a day like REM.

Finding it hard to believe that not one publication has mentioned how near enough the entire back catalogue is chatting world wide?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

You don't get attention if you write something good about U2.

What seems pretty obvious by the pitchfork review is that u2 are definitely not pitchfork's thing. To state for example that ''A few promisingly weird moments, such as the eerily synthetic Beach Boys chant at the start of “California (There Is No End to Love)” or the breathy rhythms of “Raised By Wolves”, are quickly diluted by stock verse/chorus structures'' is to overcome the fact that u2 as a pop-rock band operates explicitly within the verse/chorus structures, since these are the conventions of their genre. They always followed their generic rules -even Pop respects faithfully the verse/chorus structures- and they will always do so. To expect of them a change of attitude, in fact means a change of genre. And that is never going to happen. In fact, the aesthetic criteria set up by u2's genre and by pitchfork's sense of music reception is so divergent that makes their reviews pointless. It would be much more poignant, both for pitchfork but also for u2, if they decided not to review this album (like they did for example for one of the best records of the last five years for me Donald Fagen's Sunken Condos).

I wouldn't be shocked if they were planning this as the end...release 2 or 3 albums immediately without any real promotion and hit the road for one final jaunt that includes the type of venues (arenas) that they're more interested in playing. Bono did mention how the R.E.M. ending got them thinking...I get the feeling they'd rather go out not having a "final tour" promotion and whatever else.

The lyrics with their historical themes also make a lot of sense...a band looking back at their past before moving on from this stage of their lives. First album is Bono (and the guys) getting into music, experiencing sexuality, dealing with his mother's death and father's indifference - all things that happened before they formed the band. Next album could deal with their lives since being in the band. Third album (Songs of Ascent) would be about the future.

Now that I think about it, isn't "Invisible" written about Bono going to England and feeling uncool in a train station after he was in the band? That would make more sense then for album number two...I imagine that one would deal with some themes such as Africa, fame, etc.

William Blake parallels beyond the first two album titles with the whole "child is the father of the man" theme. That's kind of what's going on here from a songwriting perspective. They're flashbacks to the past but with the wisdom of the future seeming to affect them a bit...

Beach Boys nods with the Barbara Ann Smile-y intro on "California"...and Brian Wilson, of course, was also inspired by Blake with "Child Is The Father Of The Man" becoming a tune for Smile.

All this "end" talk comes up after every album and tour

I wouldn't be shocked if they were planning this as the end...release 2 or 3 albums immediately without any real promotion and hit the road for one final jaunt that includes the type of venues (arenas) that they're more interested in playing. Bono did mention how the R.E.M. ending got them thinking...I get the feeling they'd rather go out not having a "final tour" promotion and whatever else.

That is possible because how would a U2 goodbye tour look like?

All this "end" talk comes up after every album and tour

Of course it does, but this time they've actually mentioned to the press about nearing the end and are doing things more out of comfort than wanting to be the biggest band on the planet. Sure, there's attention seeking but they aren't focused on #1 hits or playing to the most people possible on tour, etc.

And, "Every Breaking Wave"...you go your way and I'll go mine? Obviously, it's not a new track per se, but....

I dunno. I think we all just felt stupid when the final REM album had a lot of clues that nobody picked up on.

Of course it does, but this time they've actually mentioned to the press about nearing the end and are doing things more out of comfort than wanting to be the biggest band on the planet. Sure, there's attention seeking but they aren't focused on #1 hits or playing to the most people possible on tour, etc.

And, "Every Breaking Wave"...you go your way and I'll go mine? Obviously, it's not a new track per se, but....

I dunno. I think we all just felt stupid when the final REM album had a lot of clues that nobody picked up on.

There's also the age factor and doing these huge tours. I really want to see some interviews with Danger Mouse and U2. We will see more clues. Paul McGuinness did say that U2 is still ambitious so we may not see clues until both of these albums are out and the tour is over which is probably 2016. If they take another 4 years for a last record they will be 60.

Bono wouldn't pen an open letter saying "remember us" if he was thinking of calling it quits, he also mentioned new ways of working with Apple etc

Bono wouldn't pen an open letter saying "remember us" if he was thinking of calling it quits, he also mentioned new ways of working with Apple etc

That's the next album which is partly done. After both albums are released and the tour is over who knows? I think they can still do another album after that but it's hard to predict the demand or landscape for them. Even Bono said in the last tour that they don't know if they will be able to do it again. If these two albums are successful (along with the tour) I still think they will do at least one more. If it all tanks I don't see why they would. If the demand is there and there are no health problems that will be the only thing to keep them going. They also need constant source of material.

A lot of the reasons listed in articles about REM was that they were getting less and less sales and they could see record companies wanting to tell them what to do. They also looked at their catalog (which is impressive) and felt they covered enough territory.

Though these iTunes stats look promising.:up:

The lyrics with their historical themes also make a lot of sense...a band looking back at their past before moving on from this stage of their lives. First album is Bono (and the guys) getting into music, experiencing sexuality, dealing with his mother's death and father's indifference - all things that happened before they formed the band. Next album could deal with their lives since being in the band. Third album (Songs of Ascent) would be about the future.

Now that I think about it, isn't "Invisible" written about Bono going to England and feeling uncool in a train station after he was in the band? That would make more sense then for album number two...I imagine that one would deal with some themes such as Africa, fame, etc.

William Blake parallels beyond the first two album titles with the whole "child is the father of the man" theme. That's kind of what's going on here from a songwriting perspective. They're flashbacks to the past but with the wisdom of the future seeming to affect them a bit...

Beach Boys nods with the Barbara Ann Smile-y intro on "California"...and Brian Wilson, of course, was also inspired by Blake with "Child Is The Father Of The Man" becoming a tune for Smile.
:applaud:
Great post! I think you are right with the idea of a Brian Wilson - William Blake relation...

and Smile :drool:

That's the next album which is partly done. After both albums are released and the tour is over who knows? I think they can still do another album after that but it's hard to predict the demand or landscape for them. Even Bono said in the last tour that they don't know if they will be able to do it again. If these two albums are successful (along with the tour) I still think they will do at least one more. If it all tanks I don't see why they would. If the demand is there and there are no health problems that will be the only thing to keep them going. They also need constant source of material.

A lot of the reasons listed in articles about REM was that they were getting less and less sales and they could see record companies wanting to tell them what to do. They also looked at their catalog (which is impressive) and felt they covered enough territory.

Though these iTunes stats look promising.:up:

Personally I think the band want to brake the mold of the "oh we can't listen to them they are over 40" group and why shouldn't they? If they can still produce songs as good as they are doing then great, I know Paul mc isn't their manager anymore but even he said in his article about how they are still coming up with some of their best work way into their lives, and IMO if they still enjoy it long may it continue

Personally I think the band want to brake the mold of the "oh we can't listen to them they are over 40" group and why shouldn't they? If they can still produce songs as good as they are doing then great, I know Paul mc isn't their manager anymore but even he said in his article about how they are still coming up with some of their best work way into their lives, and IMO if they still enjoy it long may it continue

Well if they have good material going into Robert Plant age they should continue, but only if they have good material. If it's mediocre then they should stop.

Paul is talking about these two albums plus the big tour. It'll be 2016 when that is done. I'm sure there's a possibility of another album with the material they still have left but if they take a long time they will be pushing 60 before the 3rd album comes out.

Well if they have good material going into Robert Plant age they should continue, but only if they have good material. If it's mediocre then they should stop.

Paul is talking about these two albums plus the big tour. It'll be 2016 when that is done. I'm sure there's a possibility of another album with the material they still have left but if they take a long time they will be pushing 60 before the 3rd album comes out.

Does it actually matter that they would be pushing 60?

U2 is really in danger of quitting only at the end of each era/trilogy when they have to reinvent themselves in a meaningful way. Now that they have managed to find a new great direction which gets incredibly positive feedbacks pretty much everywhere from fans or not, except of course from the usual blind haters, it's highly doubtful. SOI is the proof that they still have a lot to give as artists and after hearing this record the first question that comes is how far they can go in that new style. The fact that they talk with such confidence about new albums despite what they said previously concerning SOA is the proof they have already a clear idea about that and that's certainly not hard to believe as this album opens a lot of new possibilities for them now.

From a commercial standpoint everything that matters really is how well the tour will do and by releasing a great album for free to everyone I don't think there is a risk for their next tour to not be another smashing success.

So I doubt that they think about quitting now as that must be a very exciting moment for them artistically speaking and they can still make huge tours and have a lot of success. What happens after that and their will to continue will only depend on the fact that they will or not manage once again to find a new kind of way to stay that relevant in both aspects. But really no reason to talk about that right now.

Hi, don’t usually post here. Was just wondering what is so special about indie rock. I’ve tried to get into it, but find the music to be incredibly boring, pretentious and overrated. Does their music really matter? I think not LOL. As for hipsters I think they suck really…I know a lot of people who think they do. ;) I know hipsters don’t matter. But it I just find their reviews rather annoying. Sorry…

Hi, don’t usually post here. Was just wondering what is so special about indie rock. I’ve tried to get into it, but find the music to be incredibly boring, pretentious and overrated. Does their music really matter? I think not LOL. As for hipsters I think they suck really…I know a lot of people who think they do. ;) I know hipsters don’t matter. But it I just find their reviews rather annoying. Sorry…

Racist.

So Pitchfork gave it 4.6 and had precious little to say about the music.

I've noticed that the only reviews that indicate that the author paid attention to the music, considered the lyrics, and read the essay are the ones that gave it a good review.

With the NewYorker and Pitchfork reviews I think I'm done reading music reviews altogether. They are just as empty and pointless as they claim the new U2 album is.

Each time I play this album it just gets better and better and makes me think some of these reviewers will end up eating humble pie. I don't expect everyone to love the album but seeing reviews and marks such as 3.5 out of 10 is just laughable. I'm blasting the album once again track by track as I'm writing this and am just feeling the joy.... and it's prompted me to post on here for the first time in years.

So Pitchfork gave it 4.6 and had precious little to say about the music.

I've noticed that the only reviews that indicate that the author paid attention to the music, considered the lyrics, and read the essay are the ones that gave it a good review.

I was mildly surprised that the Pitchfork review spent so little time really getting into the music and was just more about how the album was distributed.

Both of those albums were excellent. There are better Swans albums and better black metal/shoegaze bands than Deafheaven, but both are extremely good for the genre. I would just argue it's not your thing.

Well Pitchfork told you they were great, so you must agree, I know.

Again, if Pitchfork gave this a horrible review, you would think it was shit.

If there is no melody, Pitchfork will usually love it.

Reading these reviews proves my theory of what U2 at this point in their career should be thinking about going forward. Mostly everyone on this board likes if not loves this album, while we know the hipsters and most of the cognoscenti were going to hate this or any other album that this band will put out regardless of how good it is because:

1>. The Global hatred for Bono
2>. The Global Hatred for Bono's band or anything else closely (or loosely tied to him)
3>. It isn't "cool" to like anything that mid 50's rock stars (especially Bono) has to say either lyrically or melodically.. eg. "We've heard this all before"..
4>. The blatant sell out of U2/Apple partnerships
5>. The disgusting way that 500,000,000 had an album "thrust" upon them whether they liked it or not
List can go on and on...

They should be playing now for the their enjoyment - whatever appeals to them and yes if some self indulgence comes out of it - who the fuck cares. The music business isn't the way it was before to be chasing after "hits" is like a dog chasing it's own tail. Also they should be playing to their base of fans like us, who could really give a shit of what some 20 something year old at Pitchfork (which this 40 something doesn't even know or care what Pitchfork even is). Stop trying to be "Beyonce', One Republic or even Coldplay for that matter, you're never gonna be as "relevant" you think you should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom