All complaints about the setlist HERE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Predictable or not, this thread exists for that sole reason. So why are you even bothering to keep coming here and argue with them? They just want to vent and talk to people who agree with them on how shitty the setlist is.
Why don't you just let them? That way the complaining will center here and not everywhere else on the forums. If people keep coming in here to defend the setlist, it wouldn't matter where the complainers would post because they get attacked everywhere.
How hard is it to just ignore this one thread? You can even set it on ignore with the new forum functions. People are always gonna bitch, whether you like it or not. It's human nature.

This has been explained multiple times. For some reason it is being ignored. Some people just can't help but try and stop someone from having different opinions they don't agree with.

This has been explained multiple times. For some reason it is being ignored. Some people just can't help but try and stop someone from having different opinions they don't agree with.

That is what I still do not get.

I'm not fond of the complaints everywhere at all, but I do not mind this thread. I sometimes check it to see if there's any good points I can agree with and now this comment just confused me. I don't get it. There's no point in posting or arguing, because the people aren't going to agree with you anyway, so why bother?

Predictable or not, this thread exists for that sole reason. So why are you even bothering to keep coming here and argue with them? They just want to vent and talk to people who agree with them on how shitty the setlist is.
Why don't you just let them? That way the complaining will center here and not everywhere else on the forums. If people keep coming in here to defend the setlist, it wouldn't matter where the complainers would post because they get attacked everywhere.
How hard is it to just ignore this one thread? You can even set it on ignore with the new forum functions. People are always gonna bitch, whether you like it or not. It's human nature.

No one is stopping anyone from venting about U2 setlists, least of all this thread (though the venting is not really limited to it). Different opinions are allowed, nothing wrong with that. (Posters like) BluRmGrl and Dan_smee are only asking for some perspective. The "defenders" of the set aren't exactly treated with gloves either.

BTW we all know the Ignore functions. The invaluable piece of advice works both ways...

If 'you all' know about it, why not try it out?

And I can't be surprised you're not being treated with gloves. You're basically running into a lion's den with a piece of meat strapped around your neck...

Well, it's just that one side is keen on emphasizing just how badly they're treated...try and look the other side as well, is all.

Agreed. Wanna try ?

Well I don't need to. I don't mind this thread at all. In fact, I should contribute to it.

As I still think U2 should stop playing IAWL. It's ridiculous that such a shitty song is being played on every fucking night. And UF needs to come back.

The only thing I don't like about the set is the transition between Stingray and BD and no TUF or UTEOTW. It's just hard to choose which songs should (realistically) be replaced by those two. And with realistaclly I mean that they're not gonna drop IALW because of the astronauts (I take this back if they drop IALW this leg :wink:). Elevation could be left out. They still have Boots. Vertigo and Glasto and I think MW could go as well.

Other than that I quite like the setlist and I'm very excited to see them.

I'm still pissed about Drowning Man, and that was LAST year. And while I realize that they did play both ES and YBR, and that's a damned big leap, especially for U2...I continue to be pissed that after 25+ years loving this band I almost got Drowning Man live. Almost, but not quite...and probably because it didn't "work" alongside some crap they play every night.

And they need to at least rotate The Fly back in, great part of their live shows.

But I'm glad they put PITNOL back in...

So basically you want them to change things just for you? its comments like that, that really irk me, i mean everyone complaining about the setlist is blaming the band, when really, isnt it just your own personal taste why you dont like it?

You have GOT to be kidding me. You clearly don't really read my points. There is a fairly large contingent that don't care for the flow of Stringray to Beautiful Day. I'm not saying even dropping either. Switch the order. Thats it. HOW on EARTH is that telling them to play what I want. My main problem with this entire tour is the flow of the setlist. It doesn't flow like prior tours. I think I have said it at least 20 times but you continue to ignore what the main problem I have with the setlists and this response just proves it.

Yes, I think a new album could help the flow of the setlist. New songs, means new ideas and possible something better to follow the Stingray intro. That is why I said that could possibly save the setlist for this tour. Sorry that irks you, I suggest you block my posts if that point of view is something that is so troublesome or irks you so badly. Good LORD!!!! I'm almost beyond words with that response. :huh:

Just one last thing. I have been on this board since 2000. I think my record reflects that on prior tours I had no major problems with the setlists. In fact, I would defend U2 very often for the static setlists or playing some of the warhorses. I'm not feeling it for this tour, explain why, suddenly that irks people OR that means I only want them to play what I want. Come on.

I'd just like to know, not to attack you, what parts of the show don't flow well in comparison to previous tours aside from the opening.

I'd just like to know, not to attack you, what parts of the show don't flow well in comparison to previous tours aside from the opening.

Elevation > IALW

I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight > Sunday Bloody Sunday

HMTMKMKM > WOWY

Just to name the three most wtffy.

I don't think Moment Of Surrender is a great closer either. First and second leg I thought Breathe was a mediocre opening. I thought they would improve it for this leg and they made it worse for me (others have expressed this also, so I don't think I'm alone with this). I didn't think Crazy into SBS worked at all (they changed that last show, somewhat encouraging). I think Walk On's placement in the setlist is awkward and the tie in with MLK does not work very well. I think the placement of Miss Sarajevo and/or Your Blue Room brought/brings those shows to a grinding halt also. The main thing is more intangible. JPhelmut made some good points about it previously. It just does not have the same beginning, middle and end flows prior tours had. It seems disjointed and all over the place. As stated previously my main problem is the opening sequence. I think starting the show with a ground halting thud kills it from the get go.

Honestly, a few pacing changes and I think it would be a decent setlist. THis tour the setlist does not need to be spectacular because the production is spectacular. Things I did like about the setlist previously were full electric No Line ON the Horizon, Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet and I think Amazing Grace into Streets works very well. I think the sequence that they had from Unf. Fire up to Crazy flowed well (now part of that appears to be gone). I think HMTMKMKM is a great choice for this tour, but don't drop Ultraviolet, play both (like in Denmark). So you can understand how I'm a tad frustrated with some of the recent changes. They are a step backward for me. Like I said, things can change and I'm hoping they do. I'm certainly not asking the band to play what I want. :lol: If that were case I would be requesting God Part II, Hawkmoon 269, One Tree Hill, A Sort Of Homecoming, Zooropa and getting pissed that they weren't playing these songs. I'm not, and I don't expect these songs to be done and don't think they have to be for it to be a good setlist.

:crack: I guess this thread was a way of venting about something that is frustrating to me about my favorite band. I don't think I'm reflecting viewpoints that are completely unreasonable. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the would be so irksome for some.

I don't think Moment Of Surrender is a great closer either. First and second leg I thought Breathe was a mediocre opening. I thought they would improve it for this leg and they made it worse for me (others have expressed this also, so I don't think I'm alone with this). I didn't think Crazy into SBS worked at all (they changed that last show, somewhat encouraging). I think Walk On's placement in the setlist is awkward and the tie in with MLK does not work very well. I think the placement of Miss Sarajevo and/or Your Blue Room brought/brings those shows to a grinding halt also. The main thing is more intangible. JPhelmut made some good points about it previously. It just does not have the same beginning, middle and end flows prior tours had. It seems disjointed and all over the place. As stated previously my main problem is the opening sequence. I think starting the show with a ground halting thud kills it from the get go.

Honestly, a few pacing changes and I think it would be a decent setlist. THis tour the setlist does not need to be spectacular because the production is spectacular. Things I did like about the setlist previously were full electric No Line ON the Horizon, Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet and I think Amazing Grace into Streets works very well. I think the sequence that they had from Unf. Fire up to Crazy flowed well (now part of that appears to be gone). I think HMTMKMKM is a great choice for this tour, but don't drop Ultraviolet, play both (like in Denmark). So you can understand how I'm a tad frustrated with some of the recent changes. They are a step backward for me. Like I said, things can change and I'm hoping they do. I'm certainly not asking the band to play what I want. :lol: If that were case I would be requesting God Part II, Hawkmoon 269, One Tree Hill, A Sort Of Homecoming, Zooropa and getting pissed that they weren't playing these songs. I'm not, and I don't expect these songs to be done and don't think they have to be for it to be a good setlist.

:crack: I guess this thread was a way of venting about something that is frustrating to me about my favorite band. I don't think I'm reflecting viewpoints that are completely unreasonable. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the would be so irksome for some.

good points...this tour has had a problem with the open and close. What should they open with? Stingray segue into Mag maybe? How to close? I think Ultraviolet could be a dramatic close...not sure. I am trying to use songs they have played on the tour. I have thought that Soon should open the encore..

FWIW I mostly agree with Blue Room.

Breathe was a bad opener
MOS is a bad closer
The show is crying out for a 'grand' intro sequence such as Zoo or Pop. They got away with the stadium show intro on Vertigo as the first 3 songs tended to be Vertigo/IWF/E Co, 3 of the biggest rockers in the catalogue
Stingray is a 'fun' start and the pause into BDay is not nearly as bad as it seems on a recording as it gives the band a moment to acknowledge the crowd, however going straight into something like IWF would work better.
Songs such as IALW, Walk On seem a bit 'forced' to fit a theme
The stage cries out for songs such as Discotheque, Mofo, Gone
M Ways has been played every tour since 92. What about EBTTRT if they want to represent that era? It was a hit single and would please the non die hards as much as MW.
Im a bit bored by WOWY, SBS but have no problem with them being played
Just to point out that i'm no great fan of EBTTRT or Discotheque, so its not all about personal choice, just what fits the show better or has been underplayed previously

Oh and Bad should be a staple as much as Streets etc and that is partly personal taste:lol:

i long for the day that both sides switch roles, even for an hour. imagine dan smee coming in here and saying that U2 should retire. then monsieur fly responds with something even slightly favorable towards U2. now that would be exciting! :wink:

That is a distortion. If you follow the forums closely, you will notice that I regard No Line On The Horizon highly. Furthermore, I have defended both North Star and Glastonbury against other people's criticisms.

Eloquent.

I just don't understand why people feel the need to come in here and rip on people or get hostile with people that are trying to have legitimate discussion about what the don't care for with the setlist. Its like you have to take it personal. I don't get that at all. :shrug:

Start a setlist praise thread with "legitimate" discussion of what you like about it. Maybe that will make you feel better. :shrug:

I still have yet to see answer to my question to the setlist defenders. Do you really feel Beautiful Day is one of U2's best opening songs ever? Do you feel it stacks up with prior openers? I think most people say no. Thats the main problem with the setlist. Stingray is cool, but it doesnt work going into B. Day. The show starts with a thud.

100% Agreed :up:

i long for the day that both sides switch roles, even for an hour. imagine dan smee coming in here and saying that U2 should retire. then monsieur fly responds with something even slightly favorable towards U2. now that would be exciting! :wink:

:lol:

M Ways has been played every tour since 92. What about EBTTRT if they want to represent that era? It was a hit single and would please the non die hards as much as MW.

That's like saying that In God's Country represents its era as well as Streets.

I would like to hear what they planned to do with the EBTTRT Remix. Maybe try it out in place of the CT Remix. They can always play the album version somewhere else in the set if they wanna keep the song. Sub it for ISHF or IALW or Miss Sar. One of those slower mellow songs in the middle of the main set.

That is a distortion. If you follow the forums closely, you will notice that I regard No Line On The Horizon highly. Furthermore, I have defended both North Star and Glastonbury against other people's criticisms.

i'm just joking and making fun of Interference in general. :wave:

I disagree

For the sake of argument, even if you consider it the opening song, do you think the transition to Beautiful Day works??? I don't, at all. Kills the beginning of the show even if you want to get into a semantics discussion of what the opening song is exactly.

Its called an "intro" on U2's own setlist, so I see it as an intro. :shrug:

No SO/Stingray/BD does not work for me.Not so much in the SO-Stingray transition but the Stingray-BD transition.There is about 25-30 seconds of dead air time that just kills the concert momentum in my opinion.I wasn't initially a fan of the SO/Soon/Breathe segue either but I much prefer that over SO/Stingray/BD.BD sounds to me like it would be better either towards the end of a main set or somewhere in the encore.Same with Breathe.Even though I like Stingray I dont like it for an intro.Maybe it should be played before Crazy Tonight(remix) in the middle of the show.I think Soon is better after Space Oddity so I ask why not one of these intros:SO/Soon/GOYB or SO/Soon/NLOTH.Maybe the 360 setlist would flow better like this:

Intro:Space Oddity/Soon
1.GOYB
2.Magnificent
3.NLOTH
4.Surrender/A Sort of Homecoming
5.SYCMIOYO or Stuck In A Moment
6.Desire or God Pt.II
7.Until The End Of The World
8.Glastonbury or Night and Day
9.Lemon
10.Your Blue Room/Mrs.Sarajevo
11.Unknown Caller
12.Unforgettable Fire
13.City Of Blinding Lights
14.Crazy Tonight(remix)
15.Discotheque
16.Vertigo
17.Original Of The Species
18.Breathe
19.Beautiful Day
Encore
20.Amazing Grace/Where The Streets Have No Name
21.Pride
22.Gone
23.HMTMKMKM
24.Ultraviolet
25.All I Want is You or Bad with Grace at end(Bono,Edge)

Dear U2,

Please PLEASE don't open with Beautiful Day next year in N.A. Breathe works, Magnificent works, Fez, NLOTH, hell, even GOYB is fine by me.

Thanks,
Achtung11

Back
Top Bottom