Album cover - Fanning - SoE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not trying to burst the optimism. I too think it's a good sign that SOE is being spoken about by multiple band members and publications. But I would still play the "believe it when I see it" route. Learned my lesson thinking SOA would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I my opinion, I believe the next record will be coming next summer.
This will give time for people to really get into the feeling of this new record and for the band to have some time to finish off SoE as they would like it
to sound. Bono said its almost finished but still needs some polishing before
its released.
It will also be good for the band, because they will be touring by next summer (hopefully) and it will be another way to get people to listen to U2 once again
if some people did not like this record (SoI).
I have also been reading a few things about the SoE being a more up-beat
type of record. Perhaps a "danceable version" of U2? Like Achtung Baby and
Zooropa?
I am not sure. We will have to wait and see what surprises the band has in
store for us to listen to. After all, they did say, in these past 4 years they
made at least 100 new songs. So I am ready for anything they have to
offer and I will wait for the big surprise.

I pray you are wrong about SOE being upbeat stuff. You reference Achtung Baby and Zooropa, both of which are pretty dark records. This is my hope. I want them to go dark and dirty. If they really were to follow the Blake template of Songs of innocence and songs of experience, then the next album should be dark and sinister. But since there are a few dark and sinister tunes on SOI, it may in fact not follow that template.

I just would much rather hear tunes like Exit, Sleep like a baby, love is blindness, wake up dead man, tomorrow, mofo, UTEOTW, etc... Than BD, Walk on, the miracle, wild honey, sweetest thing, GOYB, COBL, etc...

I don't get the conclusion why "experience" should be about darkness? There's some of both sides on Songs Of Innocence: Hope and joy as well as darkness, fear and despair. U2 can do both and they are good at both. I expect something like that on their next album as well.

I just would much rather hear tunes like Exit, Sleep like a baby, love is blindness, wake up dead man, tomorrow, mofo, UTEOTW, etc... Than BD, Walk on, the miracle, wild honey, sweetest thing, GOYB, COBL, etc...

insane-1.jpg

I was doing some research about songs of innocence and songs of experience by William Blake and found this. It's pretty good, the website breaks down what each poem is about and how songs of innocence and songs of experience is parallel to each other so I thought I'll share this with you guys.

SparkNotes: Songs of Innocence and Experience

Yay for gig-buddies! (I also did E Lansing and Pittsburgh in 2011...first time I was ever able to do multiple shows for the same tour! :up: )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I was at both shows as well!!! Both were incredible, but Pittsburgh is a little bit better for me because it had BAD at the end! Also at East Lansing it was still daylight until Zooropa, which was halfway through the show!

I was at both shows as well!!! Both were incredible, but Pittsburgh is a little bit better for me because it had BAD at the end! Also at East Lansing it was still daylight until Zooropa, which was halfway through the show!

E Lansing was my son's 1st U2 show and yeah the daylight made for awesome pic opportunities.

Pittsburgh was my fave though because hubby & I got to meet B & Edge when the band arrived. And yeah, Bad was stunning. I remember tweeting it via text message on my old flip phone and being one of the first to notify the setlist party crowd since apparently feeds had gone down lol. (Back before my smartphone....how times have changed lmao.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using U2 Interference mobile app

I don't get the conclusion why "experience" should be about darkness? There's some of both sides on Songs Of Innocence: Hope and joy as well as darkness, fear and despair. U2 can do both and they are good at both. I expect something like that on their next album as well.

I'm not saying that the term Experience means it should be darker. I am saying that if you go by the William Blake template, the Songs of Experience would be a much darker and sinister piece of work.

I like U2's darker and more personal work. That's why I'm more of a POP, Achtung, Zooropa fan than I am an ATYCLB, Bomb fan.

So my hope is they go in that direction. Not saying they will, I think it will be more of a mix, like SOI is, but will be fun to see.

Get some Prozac!

If you don't think that these songs:
Exit, Sleep like a baby, love is blindness, wake up dead man, tomorrow, mofo, UTEOTW.

Are better than:
BD, Walk on, the miracle, wild honey, sweetest thing, GOYB, COBL, etc...

You may require a hearing aid. :wink:

Exit, Sleep like a baby, love is blindness, wake up dead man, tomorrow, mofo, UTEOTW.

Are better than:

Wild Honey and GOYB to a lesser extent should be removed from the bottom list.

I'm with you on Sleep Like a Baby and UTEOTW but wake Up Dead Man, Mofo and to a much lesser extent Exit, I can never hear again in my life and I would be fine.

what the actual fuck

The song itself is okay but because I can hardly hear the lyrics for a good portion of the song because Bono does his "Velvet Dress" voice, I don't really care for it.

To the point Womanfish made, perhaps a hearing aid would help with this one :)

Well, the album cover has been "out there" for a couple of weeks now. Is it safe to say this has been a non-issue? Has anyone seen/heard anything about it from a news (or "news") outlet? Or has it just been fan reactions on social media?

Well, the album cover has been "out there" for a couple of weeks now. Is it safe to say this has been a non-issue? Has anyone seen/heard anything about it from a news (or "news") outlet? Or has it just been fan reactions on social media?

I'd say wait until after the 14th and they have 50' billboards on every major highway of the Mullen clan and all these massive store displays before we can be sure if its a non-issue.
Social media after all only reaches a few "Tweens" and record store displays will reach the masses.

Are better than:

I do agree that they are better than some on your list but I would never want to sever the the happy songs from U2 because they would be another downer band like Radiohead. BD is so uplifting and a lot of those songs that are uplifting that you didn't include on your list (Pride, WTSHNN etc) balance out the darker stuff. Even Zoo Station and Even Better, Mysterious Ways have a happy energetic quality that I would miss if it was just your list. I would like to include another one like California that is my go to Prozac.

I'd say wait until after the 14th and they have 50' billboards on every major highway of the Mullen clan and all these massive store displays before we can be sure if its a non-issue.
Social media after all only reaches a few "Tweens" and record store displays will reach the masses.

Considering how much stuff gets picked up by news outlets from social media, I wouldn't have been surprised if there had been enough of a kerfuffle that the story grew.

Or that we'd have heard that Walmart was not going to carry it or something.

I'm sticking by my thinking that this will be a non-event.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom