Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, the claims here now that "everyone knew" Frozen would beat OL at the Oscars are easily belied by a brief glance back at that discussion here, where there were many predications of an OL win (this is about the time people were guaranteeing an album announcement on the Fallon show).

"Invisible" wasn't the only song U2 performed on "The Tonight Show." The band, after all, has an Oscar to campaign for, and Bono and Co. performed a mostly-acoustic rendition of "Ordinary Love" from "Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom" (the Roots joined in the song's final seconds). Oscar voting ends Feb. 25, and while the affable Fallon said he looks forward to U2 giving an Oscar acceptance speech, Bono here was more grounded.

"Can an animated character give a speech? It's probably more likely," Bono said, referring to the odds-on Oscar favorite "Let it Go" from Disney's "Frozen."

U2 brings its knack for spectacle to Jimmy Fallon's 'Tonight' debut-Los Angeles Times

i enjoyed the Fisher writings, but it really does seem as if they are well-informed fan fiction.

LOL...what did you expect Bono to say (paraphrasing comments here): "U2 has won everything but an Oscar, it's our turn! Besides, with all this hype surrounding our new single, our Fallon appearance and imminent new record, we're sure to win!"

Of course he downplayed any hopes they had of winning. That's just Bono's style. Doesn't mean they didn't hope, or even expect, to win (though in truth they really never had a chance, for all the reasons previously mentioned...but mostly just b/c the song's not that great).

Indeed, a while back I was saying precisely what the enigmatic and mysterious Messr. Fisher's Hollywood source was saying about OL v. Frozen:

Also, the claims here now that "everyone knew" Frozen would beat OL at the Oscars are easily belied by a brief glance back at that discussion here, where there were many predications of an OL win (this is about the time people were guaranteeing an album announcement on the Fallon show).

I could be wrong when I say this because at the time I couldn't have cared any less if U2 were to win the Oscar, but I just don't remember any publications predicting U2 to win. Generally, I saw them ranked 2 or 3 in most publications.

LOL...what did you expect Bono to say (paraphrasing comments here): "U2 has won everything but an Oscar, it's our turn! Besides, with all this hype surrounding our new single, our Fallon appearance and imminent new record, we're sure to win!"

Of course he downplayed any hopes they had of winning. That's just Bono's style. Doesn't mean they didn't hope, or even expect, to win (though in truth they really never had a chance, for all the reasons previously mentioned...but mostly just b/c the song's not that great).

so we should go by the evidence provided by the actual quote, or go by what you imagine Bono is really thinking?

i'm sure they hoped to win, and i'm sure they're a little frustrated that they're probably never going to win an Oscar (or a Tony), but i don't think they are as collectively stupid and out-of-touch as the Fisher writings imply, which is their appeal -- he seems to take great joy in pretending that the worst imaginable scenarios regarding the band is totally, as if it's fun to watch a fanboy's face fall like a child on Christmas morning who wakes up to a stocking full of coal. i'm sure some of it is informed by actual hearsay from around Dublin, and i'm sure some of it is true. but as someone who works in media, i've met enough camera/sound guys who've met them to be able to draw some personality sketches. all i'd need is some imagination and i could probably come up with some fun reading as well.

U2 are many things, but they aren't stupid.

so we should go by the evidence provided by the actual quote, or go by what you imagine Bono is really thinking?

By all means, go by what Bono actually said. You can read his quotes on winning the Oscar whilst listening to Songs of Ascent. ;)

i'm sure they hoped to win, and i'm sure they're a little frustrated that they're probably never going to win an Oscar (or a Tony), but i don't think they are as collectively stupid and out-of-touch as the Fisher writings imply, which is their appeal -- he seems to take great joy in pretending that the worst imaginable scenarios regarding the band is totally, as if it's fun to watch a fanboy's face fall like a child on Christmas morning who wakes up to a stocking full of coal. i'm sure some of it is informed by actual hearsay from around Dublin, and i'm sure some of it is true. but as someone who works in media, i've met enough camera/sound guys who've met them to be able to draw some personality sketches. all i'd need is some imagination and i could probably come up with some fun reading as well.

Why is the default position around here that someone must be lying about insider info on U2? Do fans just not like the idea that someone knows something they don't? Or is it because we've been burned with bad "insider" info so many times regarding this record we've become jaded?

Why not give people the benefit of the doubt until they do something to harm their crediblitiy?

By all means, go by what Bono actually said. You can read his quotes on winning the Oscar whilst listening to Songs of Ascent. ;)

i believe Bono. :)

Why is the default position around here that someone must be lying about insider info on U2? Do fans just not like the idea that someone knows something they don't? Or is it because we've been burned with bad "insider" info so many times regarding this record we've become jaded?

Why not give people the benefit of the doubt until they do something to harm their crediblitiy?

i think posting that the band scrapped their album and spiraled into depression because they lost an Oscar (when they stated that they knew it was unlikely that they would win) has harmed their credibility.

should no skepticism be applied until someone says something verifiably false? that we should believe everything someone says until it can be proven otherwise? or is it that this is the internet, we can pretend to be anything we want, and we should read with open but skeptical minds?

i think posting that the band scrapped their album and spiraled into depression because they lost an Oscar (when they stated that they knew it was unlikely that they would win) has harmed their credibility.

should no skepticism be applied until someone says something verifiably false? that we should believe everything someone says until it can be proven otherwise? or is it that this is the internet, we can pretend to be anything we want, and we should read with open but skeptical minds?

:up:

I think if the band scrapped the rest of their material based on Ordinary Love, it's more because it didn't become a huge radio hit and/or someone they respect told them that it (along with the material on their new album) wasn't their best effort, causing them to go back to the drawing board.

If Fischer had said this instead, then I may have bought it, even though my strong hunch is that he's just a troll.

my strong hunch is that he's just a troll.

tumblr_lus2kfP5ZX1qafrh6.gif

So.... forum meltdown within the next 24 hours when the band nonchalantly says something that indicates there's still a long wait for the album?
I hope no one is expecting any hard info here outside of the usual vague comments.

Just in time for a new thread. :wink:

I believed the first few fisher posts because they were incredibly well written and made sense.

The more he talks, the more obvious it is that he's simply a troll with a shit load of free time.

Actually, he posts very sparsely...only a handful of times, relatively speaking. And in any event, significantly less than most participants in these threads.

And, as you pointed out, at least his posts were well written and made sense.

Actually, he posts very sparsely...only a handful of times, relatively speaking. And in any event, significantly less than most participants in these threads.

And, as you pointed out, at least his posts were well written and made sense.

Yes... and each post, sparse as they may be, makes it clearer that he's just s douche.

This last post and the theory about the band being shocked by their Oscar loss smells of trollness, because everyone with half a clue knew that Frozen was winning, and the band would either have to be gigantic egomaniacs or naive idiots to have gone into Oscar night believing they were walking home with an Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom