Album 13 Talk: Insert cori .gif Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
and if anyone's been paying attention to the Church Studios page.. Epworth (?) has been posting pics for the last couple of months..

I believe this is the spot where U2 have been recording.. note Larry's little electric kit thingymaboob

tumblr_n3giv0iMgP1sk95kxo1_1280.jpg

More noteworthy, check out the Explorer on the left. The keyboard is similar if not the same as the one used on 360 as well.

Plastic trash can for a bass drum.

The money troubles rumors must be true.

They are in the midst of installing a traction set up for Larry so he doesn't have to stand the whole time.

My sources say they've hired Motley Crüe's stage designer to help Willie incorporate some suspended rotating drum kits. This is the real reason for the delay.

An I there only one concerned that the only public comments by the band of late is that after all this time they have their fingers crossed that they can get it out within the next 7 1/2 months? Or has everyone either gotten to the point where they either a) don't give a shit anymore, or b) still psychotically optimistic?

an i there only one concerned that the only public comments by the band of late is that after all this time they have their fingers crossed that they can get it out within the next 7 1/2 months? Or has everyone either gotten to the point where they either a) don't give a shit anymore, or b) still psychotically optimistic?

a

I just don't think they have the songs. While we might think they're decent....and maybe they really are

But the band wants that last top 10 song. One that will send them off on top.

They have to realize that they stand next to no chance ever getting a song that high in the charts on their own. Without completely selling out (collaboration, over the top commercial)

Would have been interesting to see how Invisible would have done had it not been a charity single and every download counted.

But Adam has said the same thing for the past few years. Hope for summer, hope for Xmas. Now back to summer.

I've seen all 3 in action

My sources say they've hired Motley Crüe's stage designer to help Willie incorporate some suspended rotating drum kits. This is the real reason for the delay.

Are they going with the 80's upside down spinning kit:

attachment.php

the 90's fly over the audience kit:

LEE-DRUM-SOLO1.jpg

or the new milennium rollercoaster set up:

Tommy_Lees_upside_down_roller_coaster_drum_kit-300x300.jpg

does this give us any insight into the current recording practices? does using analog equipment change anything in terms of how they record? or is more about the sound you get?

The sound aspect is a long and drawn out conversation. You can record analog for the richer sound and mastering can end up fucking it up all the same. But yeah, the reason you'd do that is for the richer sound.

U2 have not exactly been a band for audiophiles as of the last...well, 20 years. Every record since Zooropa has had issues, particularly (I'd argue) being too compressed. Zooropa was the last record they made that sounded like a proper representation of the audio, IMO. It's a beautiful sounding record where you can easily picture most of the sound being captured. Whereas HTDAAB sounds the exact opposite of that, where it feels like very little resonance to any of the tracks.

So I doubt this is all about the sound. I think (read: I hope) they're doing this to capture some magic. Because the other reason you record analog is that it makes you work harder to attain the music but with (arguably) a better result. I recorded analog for years and years, even as I was using digital software. Digital is preferable for ease of use and avoiding headaches. It's preferable for editing, you can go back and fix something in an instant. It's so easy quite literally anyone can record, mix, master their own music. Which is a good thing but it also leaves a lot of nuances on the table. NOTHING made be a better musician and songwriter than having to (or choosing to) continue to record analog.

As a practical matter of coming up with material, digital makes it a little too easy. This is also a long and drawn out conversation and it's hard to convey that in a few sentences here. The moral to the story is, analog recording can capture moments better than digital. Not just in sound, but in terms of not allowing you to nitpick every last thing about it. You can still punch-in and go back and re-do parts, etc. But you are more likely to leave something that is a little rough around the edges. Larry dropping his drum stick or whatever (I can't even recall which song that is). But that's where the magic is. It could be argued that going analog is more about trusting yourself, trusting your instincts. Removing the ability to go back and quickly fix something forces you to be a better performer. You have to be more able to pull it off right then and there (for the most part) as compared to digital. It forces you to be more 'in the moment'. I could rattle on and on about this...I'll just stop there.

To sum, if this is true/accurate, U2 working analog on a Neve console is the best U2 news I've heard in a long time. I just wonder if they're only doing it for a handful of songs or more than that.

An I there only one concerned that the only public comments by the band of late is that after all this time they have their fingers crossed that they can get it out within the next 7 1/2 months? Or has everyone either gotten to the point where they either a) don't give a shit anymore, or b) still psychotically optimistic?

Definitely a. We've had a good run, couple of great records, some less great, some more awesome than others. It's been taking so long I really, really don't give a hoot about rumours anymore. It's a waste of anyone's time to get worked up over, I'll see the new record when it's out. And yeah, my expectations for it are pretty well below zero as well.

It'll come out whenever it comes out. That's pretty much where I'm at. I do think we'll see something late this year/early next year, but that's based off of something I came across a couple months ago that really matches that time frame -- but it's also something that may not happen, either. So, whatever.

Definitely A, and you can also add in the "We're trying really hard to have a bunch of Top 40 hits" mentality that has been expressed in this forum. I personally think that if they were optimistic, we would have gotten something after Invisible and Ordinary Love. That would have been a great buildup to an album release, because they had the world's attention, but no.

I don't know if to blame the making of Ordinary Love, Paul McGuinness' departure, the band's insecurity, fan/critic reactions, or all four for the lack of U2 this year. At least there's other music to obsess over, because this album isn't coming out anytime soon (hope to be wrong, as always).

So I doubt this is all about the sound. I think (read: I hope) they're doing this to capture some magic. Because the other reason you record analog is that it makes you work harder to attain the music but with (arguably) a better result. I recorded analog for years and years, even as I was using digital software. Digital is preferable for ease of use and avoiding headaches. It's preferable for editing, you can go back and fix something in an instant. It's so easy quite literally anyone can record, mix, master their own music. Which is a good thing but it also leaves a lot of nuances on the table. NOTHING made be a better musician and songwriter than having to (or choosing to) continue to record analog.

As a practical matter of coming up with material, digital makes it a little too easy. This is also a long and drawn out conversation and it's hard to convey that in a few sentences here. The moral to the story is, analog recording can capture moments better than digital. Not just in sound, but in terms of not allowing you to nitpick every last thing about it. You can still punch-in and go back and re-do parts, etc. But you are more likely to leave something that is a little rough around the edges. Larry dropping his drum stick or whatever (I can't even recall which song that is). But that's where the magic is. It could be argued that going analog is more about trusting yourself, trusting your instincts. Removing the ability to go back and quickly fix something forces you to be a better performer. You have to be more able to pull it off right then and there (for the most part) as compared to digital. It forces you to be more 'in the moment'. I could rattle on and on about this...I'll just stop there.

To sum, if this is true/accurate, U2 working analog on a Neve console is the best U2 news I've heard in a long time. I just wonder if they're only doing it for a handful of songs or more than that.

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. It is very exciting, if for the the reasons you describe.

I wonder if this ties in with the fact that they're aiming to get the best arrangements of these songs hammered out before taking them live..

remember this?

Bono said the band has changed its studio approach and is trying every new song in multiple keys, different tempos and altered arrangements. If "I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" was vastly improved by being road-tested, Bono doesn't want that to happen again.

"We're trying to discover the thing you would find out after six months on the road. We want to get those changes in before we release the album."

maybe we're truly in for a record where the songs are as much about performance as they are about craft! when was the last time that happened? AB? Joshua Tree? :hyper:

Far as I'm concerned, Ad' can give a new interview every day. That's all I give a shit about at this point. Seeing him and listening to him talk. He can read the damn phone book for all I care. :D

That said, watch the album show up tomorrow. :lol:

So what you're saying is you fall into the "B" category. Got it.

On a more positive note I heard Ordinary Love for the first time on SiriusXM's The Pulse today. First new U2 song I've heard on this channel since 2009. It's still sitting at number 40 on the US Hot AC chart. XM played the Epworth version.

On a more positive note I heard Ordinary Love for the first time on SiriusXM's The Pulse today. First new U2 song I've heard on this channel since 2009. It's still sitting at number 40 on the US Hot AC chart. XM played the Epworth version.

Hmmm, I'll have to give that channel a listen. I tend to stick to the Classic Rock style channels and the 80s channel. :shrug:

They play OL and Invisible a lot, along with Spectrum and Alt Nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom