After U2, who´s next?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No-one. It will be physically impossible for another band this big to come around again. It just won't happen in this day and age. Even if someone came along with the perfect mix of all the elements that make up U2, or whoever before them, they still won't ever be able to come as close in size. The market has shifted so dramaticaly. I think, honestly, if Coldplay's next album is a monster, and I mean a fucking monster, they'll jump to another level of bigness that globaly puts them ahead of everyone else, but it still won't be possible for them to reach anything near the peaks bands were able to hit up until the mid to late 90's. Just can't happen anymore.

There might be a "Flavor of the month", but never a band with the longevity of U2.

The oversaturation of music in today's market won't allow one band to dominate their genre, especially in the attention-span-lacking US market.

Earnie Shavers said:
No-one. It will be physically impossible for another band this big to come around again. It just won't happen in this day and age. Even if someone came along with the perfect mix of all the elements that make up U2, or whoever before them, they still won't ever be able to come as close in size. The market has shifted so dramaticaly. I think, honestly, if Coldplay's next album is a monster, and I mean a fucking monster, they'll jump to another level of bigness that globaly puts them ahead of everyone else, but it still won't be possible for them to reach anything near the peaks bands were able to hit up until the mid to late 90's. Just can't happen anymore.

I agree 100%. It has just gotten too difficult for a rock band to hit those peaks in popularity that were seen between the 60s and the 90s. Personally, I think the whole online music craze is to blame. There's no frenzy surrounding album releases anymore. Most people have new albums months before they're actually released anyway. It's almost too accessible. Then the music itself is suffering. I find that most bands today are terribly dull. Either they're just rehashing the sounds of the past, or they're imitating their peers. There's relatively little excitement. It all sounds the same.

I can't see this changing within the next ten years unless there is a DRASTIC musical revolution. We need our own equivalent of the 60s psychedelic wave to hit us. And no, not a bloody recreation of that period, a completely new musical form that will define the generation that grows up with it.

GibsonGirl said:

Probably not. I can't see how you could go through Radiohead's entire catalogue and NOT find something interesting and appealing. Radiohead aren't only about electronic boops and beeps, people. If a U2 fan could listen to Blow Out, Fake Plastic Trees, My Iron Lung, Airbag, Let Down, Climbing Up The Walls, Optimistic, Idioteque, Knives Out and There There, and still have the audacity to brush it all off with 'YAAAAAAAAAAWN,' well then I just don't know.

Yea, it really is baffling the way people attack Radiohead like they're just an irrelevant band with close to no musical talent and lacking melodic appeal. Someone before said Chris Martin should tutor Thom Yorke on melody, even tho Chris Martin formed his band looking for Radiohead fans. If you think Radiohead lacks melodic appeal, then listen to "How To Disappear Completely" or "There, There" or even the short accoustic number "I Will", and tell me TELL ME that Radiohead lacks melody. And if U2 fans are all about their fave band embracing The Beatles, why not check out "Karma Police". The piano melody is quite remniscient of "Sexy Sadie".

GibsonGirl said:

I agree 100%. It has just gotten too difficult for a rock band to hit those peaks in popularity that were seen between the 60s and the 90s. Personally, I think the whole online music craze is to blame. There's no frenzy surrounding album releases anymore. Most people have new albums months before they're actually released anyway. It's almost too accessible. Then the music itself is suffering. I find that most bands today are terribly dull. Either they're just rehashing the sounds of the past, or they're imitating their peers. There's relatively little excitement. It all sounds the same.

I can't see this changing within the next ten years unless there is a DRASTIC musical revolution. We need our own equivalent of the 60s psychedelic wave to hit us. And no, not a bloody recreation of that period, a completely new musical form that will define the generation that grows up with it.

:yes:

Another reason there probably will never be another U2 is video games and DVDs seem to have replaced music as the consuming passion for young people. I thought about this today when I saw people lined up outside Best Buy waiting to buy Playstation 3 tomorrow morning. Sure, there's the whole iPod thing, but for a lot of people that almost seems to be more of a fashion accessory than being about music, or they get it because they always have to have the latest gadget.

I honestly can't see another band coming along at the age of 18 and maturing the way U2 have and having the same members all through their career.

That combined with songs that resonate and actually mean something.

No one will be able to touch U2 in those aspects.

kingofsorrow said:
i'm sorry the Radiohead fans are so baffled, but i just don't find them interesting. there is is nothing in their music that appeals to "me". no thoughts or feelings i can relate too. it's just elevator noise to me.

Fair enough. Some of their albums take time to "get" tho. I originally didn't understand the hoopla surrounding OK Computer, and I actually despised Kid A when it came out. Over time, they became 2 of my all time fave albums.

GibsonGirl said:

:yes: :up:

Earnie Shavers said:

Rock And Roll's been declared dead before. Much of the 70's was Disco and Pop, just like Rap and Pop now. It'll come around again. Seems like it's a ten year cycle. All it takes is one crossover hit song. But what it will take is something truely new. There's way to much retro going on now, and way to much adult contemporary... Retro new wave, retro new york punk, and the Dave Matthews clones like Mayer and Mraz and Train.

When something new comes along, R 'n R will rebound and we'll get our new U2.

There is currently no one to step into the same league as U2. The main reason there is no one that is really unique with a large market appeal. U2 has always been hard to categorize- to say if you really like this- you'll like U2. They have a changing sound, that is still very accessible. They are anthems, that a deeply emotional and moving but somehow not crossing the line into cheesey. Most every band mentioned on here are rehashing something else that has come before, as well as 99.9% of all music. The few who actually are trying to reach new places- maybe someone like radiohead lose large market appeal, and alienate many. Somehow U2 is doing both. I realize u2 is not the most unique band ever, there is still things borrowed from those before, but the more I listen to U2, I am amazed at what they do. There is a chemistry there, a way of writing that is very unique. A lot of the uniqueness should simply be credited to the Edge. The guy is really in a league by himself. He won't settle for the average rock cliche, and is always movng forward pushing for something new.

I'm rambling, but so far this discussion the best I can tell is everyone putting in there second favorite band that are no where near U2 in a lot ways. I personally love Radiohead and have for a long time, but would never say they are or will ever be in U2's league. I honestly cannot think of anyone I would compare that is making music out there now. Coldplay and the Killers are utterly laughable based on there most recent offerings (esp the Killers what a crap album).

There will be another band at some point as big as U2. I hope they are already making music somewhere, I just don't think we have heard them yet.

You know who *might* do it? Don't laugh; and I'm surprised I'm saying this but, The Foo Fighters. They're five albums in, they've got some big songs like I'll Stick Around, Big Me, Everlong, Learn To Fly, One By One; and each album is singles driven.

While I always liked them, I never loved them because after The Colour And The Shape the seemed to degerate into just your typical hard rock band. But I've been listening to all of their albums the last couple of days and I've got to say, I'm pretty impressed with their diversity and innovation. Sure, the lead off singles seem to fall into a formula, but the deeper tracks really sound different.

They do need to lose that hard rock stigma though. And Dave Grohl needs to write some anthems to give him some legitimacy. While they definately are innovative and diversify their sounds, they aren't with their songs. All songs are pretty much the same tempo, hard rock with a punk flair, there's no real ballads or anthems. Maybe that will get them to the next level.

Just a thought, more because I'm currently enjoying their catalog.

There are only two bands out there that stand any sort of a chance of becoming the "next U2" and thats "Green Day" and "Coldplay".

The talk of Pearl Jam and Radio Head not wanting is kind of absurd. In the case of Pearl Jam, they did all the video's they needed to do for their first album but then helped to cultivate their image into an even better selling point by not making video's. It worked for the next couple of albums, although 75% of their popularity was in the United States. Their return to video making has not in any way stemmed their sales decline which proves the point that their anti-industry stance was really more of a selling point for them back in the 1990s than something that took away from it.

Radiohead make video's and tour just like other commercial bands. They appeal to a small segment of the music population and are loved by critics. But at their peak, they had not reached the popularity levels attained by U2 on the Unforgettable Fire album and tour. Both bands are signed to major record lables, so this talk of them not wanting to be big is simply rubbish.

Green Day has become a major player in this race through the sales of their latest album which has sold over 12 milion copies worldwide. They have played a few stadiums in the USA, UK, and Australia. But, their concert drawing strength is still light years away from where U2 is. Their Giants Stadium concert did not sellout until the last minute and tickets were only 33 dollars a pop. U2 is popular enough now to do 5 or 6 shows there at 100 dollars a ticket. In terms of concert drawing ability, Green Day is now roughly where U2 was on the Unforgettable Fire tour. It will take a huge leap in concert drawing ability for them to reach the level of U2. If the next album does not sell as well, or there is not increase in concert drawing power, then its unlikely their going to get to that level.

Coldplay is in much the same position as Green Day although their a little further behind in concert drawing strength. Coldplay is a relatively new band compared to Green Day which is a bonus, but there appears to already be a backlash developing which is not positive.

I'd say the chances are very slim for there to be another band as big as U2, and Coldplay and Green Day are the only bands that even have a chance. All these other bands are not even on the map.

If I had to guess from the current bands I'd say Coldplay.
Laugh at the C word all you want but they are arguably the biggest new band of the last 5 or so years. They had the hit songs, and they have the ambition.

Who's next? If you read Irish papers you'll find a million answers but I think they might be right about Director, the band have the potential to become huge, their songs rock, are catchy, good lyrics, they are way better than most bands out there, and plus they co-produced their debut album, that shows the record company saw potential in them to be big. Their album is getting a worldwide release next year mark my words they will be huge

Reconnect is the Out Of Control of the 21st century, the perfect debut single, it even made the top ten here. So yeah Director shall be the next U2

Greenlight said:

Razorlight are a newish UK band. Had a couple of good albums and a recent number 1 single "America" which is brilliant. Their lead singer Johnny Borrell has an ego probably bigger than Bono's :wink: Don't think they're that known outside the UK yet though but they've got the potential.

yeah Razorlight is pretty awesome. In the Morning off the new album is amazingly catchy but in a way that lasts. It's not throw away catchy. Plus Stumble and fall and Golden Touch should have been great singles but not a sniff here in North America. I don't know if they have the sound to be the next big thing especially here in North America. Nobody even knows who the hell they are. I like them alot but it won't be them.

It won't be Coldplay either as I think they've peaked. They've put out three albums that are all pretty much the same. Boring. They have some nice songs but they just don't have what it takes to explode to the next level.

Right now I would have thought The Killers would be the one but I was surprised to see how little fanfare Sam's Town seems to have recieved. I mean Evanescence's new album had a stronger opening week. Also I think it's hilarious how one writer slammed Sam's Town for ripping off Bruce Sprongstien and now it's the "cool" thing to do and agree with it. Gimmie a break. Better to "rip off" the Boss than their peers which seems to be the trend these days.

Snow Patrol doesn't have it either. I love them but the are two slow.

I'd like to see Muse take it but I can't see it happening. I mean their new album "Black Holes and Revelations" is fucking amazing and should have been the one to break here in North America but it hasn't happend and I can't figure out why. Maybe Hip Hop simply has more of strangle hold on the scene than anyone realy knows. Because songs like Starlight. Exo-Politics and Supermassive Black Hole should be hit single son the radio here. I've heard Knights of Cydonia once and that was about 2 months ago. Sad that radio and MTV and Muvh Music don't support great music overe here.

Another abnd that is underrated in my opinion is Blue October. they ahve five albums yet we're all led to belive that the new album Foil with Hate Me on it is their debute. History for Sale blows Foil outta the water in terms of everything. hooks, melody, popiness, rockness. So why have they not been mainstreme before now?

And anyone who mentioend RHCP needs to wake up. That is a band that is so obvioulsy past it's prime and over the last 6 years has done nothing but regurgitate the same old crap. Rather than releasing three albums these last few years they should have just relased one long epicly boring song because that's what the three albums sound like.

When we talk about "the next big thing" what are we talking about anyways? Are we talking about the next hot ticket or the next legendary band? If it's the next big hot ticket I would say Guns N' Roses(assuming Chinese Democracy ever surfaces). They've already got some epics that have leaked in demo form. Madagascar, The Blues and There Was a Time. As well as some kick ass rockers with super catchy guitar riffs like Better and Chinese Democracy. I could see them easily being the next big thing as long as peopel could embrace Axl rose. I know that's hard but the music that I've heard so far should make a really huge impact and the music scene but not even close to being the next band to carry the U2 mantle. Sadly if Window in the Skies is any indication of what's to come from our boys I think the mantle will be vacant for some time.

Another big problems that the industry has changed and no lable and no casual listener seems to have the attention span to let a band become the next legendary act. It's all about the now and the money and artists aren't allowed to develope. It's sick and it's cheapening the music world. In fact teh next big thing will probably be force fed to us. It will be whatever the industry decides. the buying public has no say becasue whatevre the industry wants that's what the'll push. Everyone could all go out and buy the new Sigur Ros album or a new Shins album and it wouldn't make a difference. It's not about quality, it's about what sells fast and what shakes ass in the clubs. Nobody wants an album you have to listen to and nobody wants to relase an album that ages like fine wine. It's all about the cash grab. So basically the next legendary band is no where in sight.

Last edited:
ozeeko said:

Fair enough. Some of their albums take time to "get" tho. I originally didn't understand the hoopla surrounding OK Computer, and I actually despised Kid A when it came out. Over time, they became 2 of my all time fave albums.

who knows, maybe in the future i will "be in that place" where i can understand their music.
October is like that for me, it deals so much with faith, crisis off faith, faith conflicting with the life you choose. i like the songs, but i don't connect with them because i lack faith.

I think the current state of the music industry can be seen in Lady Sovereign's young career. Only 6 months ago I was outside a small Boston venue when she was opening for The Streets and my friend and I had a pizza. Lady Sovereign was drinkin a beer in her bus and invited us and the pizza in. Only a half a year after that day she is now #1 on MTV and being pushed by every music label and corporation to advertise their products.

Bands that once had to fight for years to break out of the opening act cycle are either signed or rejected quickly and don't have the time or space to have an album that isnt an instant success.

For Lady Sov, her time has already come, and with millions of dollars being poured into her media barrage there is no doubt in my mind that she will never again see such publicity. As for U2, it took them YEARS, almost a decade to reach that level, and they are in fact still finding new ways to market themselves and present themselves in new ways to te public.

i think Mutemath has great potential
i see many similarities in them such as their messages and lyrics, electrifying live show, and even though their lead singer Paul Meany is no Bono, they're musical sound right now is very experimental and unconventional, reminding me of how Edge started out and still continues to shine <3

Originally posted by Snowlock
Muse. Who? From what people are saying, they sure sound interesting, but never heard of them.

:| well, just download "knights of cydonia", and you will find that they're quite interesting.

the killers are pretty good, but take a listen to "when you were young", I'd swear the song was written by U2.

As someone said, we need to see what's the next move of chris martin and company, but until these days, coldplay has followed U2 steps, but I don't think the next U2 has to be exactly like U2. I don't mean coldplay it's exactly like U2, but maybe the next "U2" could have their own style. .

So my vote goes to Muse. Their evolution has been obvious in 4 albums, and despite not having a big US audience, I can see a promising future, and they have the potential of catching the attention of the whole american audience. Just look at "black holes and revelations", that's what I call a piece of art. And playing live, their pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Muse have 0% influence or recognition in the American market. And they're on their 3rd or 4th record? Not promising.

Nada. Ziltch. Nothing. 1 hit wonders.

Muse mean nothing in America. You may as well mention Dave Matthews Band.

Say what you want. If you mean nothing in America, you're not close to being the next global big thing.

Radiohead have become a joke. A shell of themselves. They hate their audience far too much to ever be a U2, Queen, Springsteen, etc.

If Coldplay make an amazing 4th album, meaning it rules & sells 3-4 milion, they may be where U2 were at UF. On the verge.

Green Day are probably a step ahead of Coldplay. Actually, they are a step ahead of Coldplay. They pushd themselves with their last record, and they're not afraid to sell themselves. If either of these bands step out and grow with success, they may be on the edge of being the next "U2" or global, giant band.

MrBrau1 said:
Muse have 0% influence or recognition in the American market. And they're on their 3rd or 4th record? Not promising.

Nada. Ziltch. Nothing. 1 hit wonders.

Muse mean nothing in America. You may as well mention Dave Matthews Band.

Say what you want. If you mean nothing in America, you're not close to being the next global big thing.

Radiohead have become a joke. A shell of themselves. They hate their audience far too much to ever be a U2, Queen, Springsteen, etc.

If Coldplay make an amazing 4th album, meaning it rules & sells 3-4 milion, they may be where U2 were at UF. On the verge.

Green Day are probably a step ahead of Coldplay. Actually, they are a step ahead of Coldplay. They pushd themselves with their last record, and they're not afraid to sell themselves. If either of these bands step out and grow with success, they may be on the edge of being the next "U2" or global, giant band.

Coldplay and Radiohead... I agree with you.

Muse, it's not the question that they reached this point in their 4th album, what matters is that they took at least 10 years since their early years to get there. They're not recognized in the US, how can that happen?

Green Day... they were plenty of sucess 10/11 yrs ago, they got back to that point, and they're on a similar point - again - that U2 was circa Lovetown. But, taking almost 15 years to get there? It seems to much for me.

In the end, it all boils down to the essential question: Does Chris Martin have the charisma of Bono? Because that's even more important than the music, if you want to gain a position similar to U2's.

Back
Top Bottom