"Africa" Streets intro is awful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quaf069

Babyface
I know I'm sure they are tired of the same old intro for this song and wanted to do something different, but this intro is awful.

It kills the song. I've watched a few vid clips from the show and it doesnt flow at all. Its like a crappy improv...but they play it at every show and still is not good.

Sorry if this is a repost...but im not a premium member and cannot acess the search function.

Whats your thougths on this....

Also, does anyone have a video or audio of a RTSS->Streets combo that I hear is supposed to be so good.

'Streets' needs the right song to precede it, and 'Pride' isn't it. In Boston, October 3 and 4, I'm hoping they play the simple but beautiful 'October' and have that segue into 'Streets.'

Chris in New Hampshire

I agree. I said before they need to use Bad to intro it into Streets and Bono does not need to sing Swahili or whatever that is he sings at throughout.

I like Bono's Swahili parts in Streets. Also, and I only mean this as an FYI, Streets was inspired by Bono and Ali's trip to Africa in '85/'86. The Africa theme, while excessive, is certainly in keeping with the songs' influence.

In any event, I totally agree that Pride into Streets is lame. Bad into Streets (or even AIWIY into Streets) will not be repeated since U2 virtually never repeat segues (from previous tours) into Streets.

I'm all for supporting Africa, but I think that this tour has too much Africa in it. For example, the human rights declaration, the Streets "Africa" intro, the Streets "Africa" backdrop, the "Everyone" speech during Pride, the "One Campaign" during One. I think if U2 dropped Africa, the show would be much more intimate because it would simply be about the band and it's fans. And I also think that Streets loses it's magic this tour because of the Africa intro and backdrop. The psalm from the last tour was a perfect intro. And the traditional red backdrop is good too. I also think that the "Everyone" intro to the show is horrible.

Btw, what psalm was it before Streets on the Elevation Tour?

Last edited:
u2's lyrics and music have so many universal themes based around them, I think they should just be played and let the fans relate to the songs in whichever way they want.

"One" might be inspired by the AIDS epidemic but I think of past relationships whenever that comes on.

"Streets" may be inspired by Africa, but u2's lyrics and music are so emotional and great we don't need the Africa chants before it to tell us.

Get rid of it. Bring back the red :drool:

RademR said:
Get rid of it. Bring back the red :drool:

You mean the red screen? If so, they have! Oooooooh it was a glorious site - the crowd around the stage bathed in red light at Hampden :drool:

Streets009.jpg

As for Pride>Streets...I kinda like the thought of Streets opening an encore set, rather than being preceeded by anything.

Last edited:
ya, ive seen that. it's amazing.

I'm actually talking about the US legs, they should get rid of the African flags, turn the LED curtains red, turn the house lights on at the opening climax :drool:

is the red in europe at the beginning or the end? in the us they used redness but it was at the end of the song

the pride to streets transition is not good

i love bono, i love his passion and how he is changing the world, but i have to admit when they are forced into weaker setlists because they are trying to send a message, its a little annoying

they are basically locked into the pride-streets-one set of songs because of the Africa theme. it may have a good message, but it just doesnt work musically. pride and one are stale this tour, and the transition into streets makes it lose some of the magic it used to have. and thats a shame.

Enjoy the "journey of equality" speech, as well as the African chants Bono sings throughout the song (besides, the lights still flash at the "ooooh ooooh ooooh" part). It added new life to the song IMO, apart from Bono's improved voice (that improved Pride as well). He sounds better than Popmart and Elevation easily.

I like that they dropped the "hear us coming" ending to One and added the Bono/Edge harmonizing - though that song needs a new arrangement.

its weird, i'm reading conversations with bono at the moment and its obvious africa has had a huge impact on his life throughout the book. he states that producers have tried to influence him (in a tribal sense) musicly but he firmly believed that U2 is about rock, dismissing the possibility of changing their rock and roll style. as much as i hate to admit it i cant help but think the vertigo tour in conjunction with the latest book and live8 are all about making us aware of whats going on in africa and how we should be helping (one campaign etc).

the sour bit about it all is that it seems a little forced. im all for campaigning against the problems in the world, by the same token i love a free form concert where the artist ive paid good money to see isnt playing along for 2 hours just trying to influence me about something i should be doing?

how do you think the other band members are feeling with some of the decisions that are being made...? we've heard adam saying more zoo/pop yet nothings changed...

i would rather go to a greenpeace rally and donate some time & 50 bucks than have it combine with a rock band who has strived so hard in the past to produce a no holds barred - in your face rock show?

i know some of you reading would say 'look dude if you dont like it then just dont go' - its not that, and i will still go...i just feel that this tour, more than any other U2 tour is different, way more serious?

Last edited:
Chizip said:
is the red in europe at the beginning or the end? in the us they used redness but it was at the end of the songB]

Can't remember the exact transition to be honest, but I'd reckon you're right. I remember Bono making his way back from catwalk to stage not long after the red lights came on.

fullautoreverse said:
are they doing the red screen/house light combo on the europe leg!?B]

The song starts with the Africa flags, then the screen goes off with the exception of manual spotlights revealed when the screen splits horizontally. Then with the spots still on, the screen comes back to life in red.

As it's a stadium, there's no house lights as such, just the screen spotlights and the follow spots from the rigging in the crowd.

madonna's child said:
I think it's awesome :shrug:

Me too. :up:

I love his intro and the African flags on the screen seem beautiful. I like the African chanting too. I thought the band wasen't in the mood of playing this song anymore and that they weren't doing a very good job with it anymore but then I listened to the London show version of Streets with the perfect sound and.... well, it's one of my favorite versions already. The journey of equality speech really adds to the song in my opinion. Plus Larry is adding some drum stuff at the ends that sound pretty cool. I just wish Adam would play his basline to that song like he did on Popmart but overall it's a great version. :shrug:

Chizip said:
is the red in europe at the beginning or the end? in the us they used redness but it was at the end of the song

Chiz, if you'd like, download my video of Streets from Twick2. If not, Africa theme in the beginning; House lights during the bridge; and Red screen only at the end.

stevec said:

As for Pride>Streets...I kinda like the thought of Streets opening an encore set, rather than being preceeded by anything.

I like this idea. The song is still awsome, but I agree RTSS>Streets, Please>Streets, and Bad>Streets were all better.

I did like it better live than I had listening to bootlegs. It sounded kinda cheesy on the CDs, but even if you're not into the whole Africa theme, you can tell live that Bono's 100% genuine.

what REALLY kills the song is the fact that the little high pitched whine from the floodlights when they go on is now long disappeared and left behind on elevation. this whine stems back from its live debut way back when on the joshua tree tour. the improvements of technology have destroyed this song forever.

damn you, technology. :mad: :madspit:

:shakes fist in anger:

Infinitum98 said:
I'm all for supporting Africa, but I think that this tour has too much Africa in it. For example, the human rights declaration, the Streets "Africa" intro, the Streets "Africa" backdrop, the "Everyone" speech during Pride, the "One Campaign" during One. I think if U2 dropped Africa, the show would be much more intimate because it would simply be about the band and it's fans. And I also think that Streets loses it's magic this tour because of the Africa intro and backdrop. The psalm from the last tour was a perfect intro. And the traditional red backdrop is good too. I also think that the "Everyone" intro to the show is horrible.

Btw, what psalm was it before Streets on the Elevation Tour?

I couldn't agree more with you! Maybe after the G8 summit, the 3rd leg may be rid of some of the political stuff... I sure hope so! I hate to say it, but the whole set of Sunday, Bullet, Pride, Streets & One is the worst part of the show for me... although i do like the cell phone part during One.

I think the song has lost a little bit on this tour because of its placement in the setlist. It needs to be in one of their encores. Too much politics with the show too and it seems that every song has a theme. Granted they’re all worthy causes but I get enough of real life in the real world without being reminded of it every other song at a concert. I like the One intro but all the Africa stuff, Pride and Streets, and the war stuff, Bullet and Running, I could do without.

Quaf069 said:
I know I'm sure they are tired of the same old intro for this song and wanted to do something different, but this intro is awful.

It kills the song. I've watched a few vid clips from the show and it doesnt flow at all. Its like a crappy improv...but they play it at every show and still is not good.

Sorry if this is a repost...but im not a premium member and cannot acess the search function.

Whats your thougths on this....

Also, does anyone have a video or audio of a RTSS->Streets combo that I hear is supposed to be so good.

My thoughts are that until you see it live you should stop whining.

Back
Top Bottom