Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That link still makes me wonder why all versions have the "original" album, except for the deluxe edition. That one has a "reissue of the original" album. Why the difference?

Well obviously, but this all was covered about 50+ pages ago when the press release was first issued. Where were you when I need you then!!!?? :)

Believe it or not, the excuse then was that the press release was a "typo" and U2 "forgot' to mention the little fact that it was remastered. Someone else said U2 wanted to "surprise" us. Best of all, someone actually said (and I'm serious about this) U2 didn't mention it because they're Irish and Irish don't like to state the obvious.

Actually, way back then, I was the one who posted that link. I stated EXACTLY what Gvox just stated. Including my confusion about the reissue or original disc.

The difference with our statements is that I could see it going both ways. Sure, it seems that it's not remastered, it is the most likely option right now, but it's not definitive proof. That is all.

And U2.com has made plenty of ridiculous typo's in the past. So don't ridicule that.

Aren't you the same guy who refused to believe it was remastered in the first place based on the fact that there was no "OFFICIAL" word from a band member or management? Now you are going on the word of someone you contacted through customer service and second hand knowledge from some other website's sources? You could be right but you seem to have no problem jumping to conclusions when you were so quick to question others when they did the same thing. You may have more evidence but you still lack "OFFICIAL" evidence you were so insistent upon at the begining of this thread.

Thank you Elfa. That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. It's the same situation as before, but it's now mirrored. Now Nick is the one jumping on people who don't believe or trust in this UNOFFICIAL statement, and he's put complete trust in this. While back then people had trust in the unofficial amazon statement that it was remastered, and the lack of info.
I just can't see how someone who was so critical of all this has now made such a 180 turn and gone with whatever info we can get. :huh: I just don't get it.

And U2.com has made plenty of ridiculous typo's in the past. So don't ridicule that.

Forgetting to mention that it's remastered is a pretty big typo. In fact, it's not really a typo at all, it's a glaring omission. It was the first thing I noticed...or didn't notice, when I read the press release. And if it was a mistake, certainly U2 has had ample opportunity to clear it up by now.

Yeah, they could have. But they didn't. THAT is the part where I believe it's not remastered, not because some connections say so. The fact that there's complete media silence from the U2 camp means much more to me..

Aren't you the same guy who refused to believe it was remastered in the first place based on the fact that there was no "OFFICIAL" word from a band member or management? Now you are going on the word of someone you contacted through customer service and second hand knowledge from some other website's sources? You could be right but you seem to have no problem jumping to conclusions when you were so quick to question others when they did the same thing. You may have more evidence but you still lack "OFFICIAL" evidence you were so insistent upon at the begining of this thread.

Yep, that's me.

Are you just making this up as you go along? Let's take this step by step:

1) I said I wanted word form an official source, and specifically mentioned multiple times that meant either U2 or their label, who I regard as an official source. I can show you the quotes if you'd like, or you are welcome to check yourself.

2) I wanted word from an official source that is WAS remastered. I said from the beginning, based on the press release and absolutely no word from the band, that I didn't believe it was remastered. So I wanted some word from an official source that the press release was wrong, and it was remastered.

3) I also said, multiple times, that U2 wasn't just going to come out an issue a press release saying "Sorry, it's not remastered. Pre-Order now!" It doesn't work that way, you don't issue press releases specifically calling attention to things your product lacks.

4) Since I regard U2's label as an OFFICIAL SOURCE, once they gave word to someone at a U2 Website I and many other trust, who has contacts in Universal that say it's not remastered...and that was confirmed by a Danish U2 website via their own contacts...yes, I'm satisfied we have word from an OFFICIAL SOURCE that the album is not remastered.

5) Obviously, I'm not going by the word of my interaction with Universal Customer service alone. I said, again, multiple times, in fact, that I didn't give that much credence to what customer service said. But when you combine that with 2 different U2 websites with contacts in Universal being told the same thing, and the press release, and U2's silence on the issue...well, there's your answer.

Any questions?

Try again.

Yeah, they could have. But they didn't. THAT is the part where I believe it's not remastered, not because some connections say so. The fact that there's complete media silence from the U2 camp means much more to me..

Well, yeah. But they've been silent since day one. They could have cleared this up within 24 hours of the press release going out, because the questions on the internet started almost immediately.

Aren't you the one who said U2 monitors places like this and likes to get the pulse of what their fans are thinking?

As for this:

Thank you Elfa. That's exactly the point I'm trying to make. It's the same situation as before, but it's now mirrored. Now Nick is the one jumping on people who don't believe or trust in this UNOFFICIAL statement, and he's put complete trust in this. While back then people had trust in the unofficial amazon statement that it was remastered, and the lack of info.
I just can't see how someone who was so critical of all this has now made such a 180 turn and gone with whatever info we can get. I just don't get it.

It's absurd, it's revisionist history, and you know it. See my reply to Elfa above. I said all along, I regarded U2's label as an official source. There's a huge difference between a listing on Amazon and word from people who have real contacts in Universal saying they have been told in no uncertain terms that it's not remastered. Give me a break. For someone who's been following this conversation, I can't believe you even wrote that.

I'm not asking people to believe or trust in any one thing. We are thinking creatures. I'm saying that if you look at the press release, U2's silence, two different reliable U2 websites w/ contacts @ Universal, my emails to Universal, the fact that U2 has NEVER said AB was remastered...and you still don't believe it....well, that's fine, but IMO you're not being rational.

Well, yeah. But they've been silent since day one. They could have cleared this up within 24 hours of the press release going out, because the questions on the internet started almost immediately.

Aren't you the one who said U2 monitors places like this and likes to get the pulse of what their fans are thinking?

I am. And I'm not the only one. That, again, is why I think it's not remastered. Because of the complete U2/U2.com media silence. NOT because some representatives from their record company happen to say so.

Yeah - I am sure Adam or even Larry sit anxiously around their computer from morning till night just reading these boards to see how they can keep everyone on every talkboard happy.

Give it up. :doh:

We just don't know. We may never know until we actually see the liner notes and can read the details.

Nick made a strong list of "it's not remastered" evidence a few posts ago, but he conveniently forgot to include the info from contacts at Universal France stating that the release IS remastered. As a faithful fan of U2 Wanderer, he must be aware of this. Everyone's just picking and choosing their own evidence.

Best of all, someone actually said (and I'm serious about this) U2 didn't mention it because they're Irish and Irish don't like to state the obvious.

I said that Nick. It is just the way they communicate. The written word isn't important. They are not good at details.

BTW, it is 11AM EST and I haven't told you to go FUG yourself yet today so I am doing that now.

Nick, go FUG yourself.

We just don't know. We may never know until we actually see the liner notes and can read the details.

Nick made a strong list of "it's not remastered" evidence a few posts ago, but he conveniently forgot to include the info from contacts at Universal France stating that the release IS remastered. As a faithful fan of U2 Wanderer, he must be aware of this. Everyone's just picking and choosing their own evidence.

Hmmmm...no, I thought about that, but I thought the word from French site was ambiguous. If they indeed have unabiguous word from an official source (like Universal), that it IS remastered, that of course has to go into the mix.

To be fair, here's the only evidence I'm aware of that it is remastered:

1) A comment from McGuinness from years ago that the entire "back catalogue" was going to be remastered. I never saw this comment personally, but many claim they did, so I'll take their word for it.
2) A plastic bag from the 360 tour from two years ago (promoting the current remasters) saying the back catalogue was being remastered.
3) A vague tweet from someone not associated with the band or this project that "they" were remastering Achtung Baby in the same studio.

By the way, I think all three of these could be correct. I think the likely explanation is that U2 intended to remaster it, had shot at it, and decided they liked the album the way it is.

And I guess you can add this French site, but again, I didn't think there was definitive word there, but I could be wrong.

Am I missing anything?

And that's it. Sorry, it's not nearly enough to convince me, and I think the evidence that it's not remastered far outweighs any of this. But people are free to draw their own conclusions.

I said that Nick. It is just the way they communicate. The written word isn't important. They are not good at details.

BTW, it is 11AM EST and I haven't told you to go FUG yourself yet today so I am doing that now.

Nick, go FUG yourself.

Do you really want to be warned by mods a FOURTH time about your behavior on this thread?

The Irish aren't "good at details" and the "written word" isn't important to them? The country that gave us some of the best writers and poets the world has ever known? The country whose monks transcribed the ancient Greek and Latin texts and saved them for civilization, who mainaned some of the few libraries in existence during the dark ages? Are those the "Irish" that don't care about the "written word" and are not "good at details"? Did you really just say that? The "Irish" aren't good at these things? Ah, OK.

Got ignorance? Got bigotry? Anyone want to defend that one?

And by the way, I'm Irish. I'm pretty sure I know how Irish folk speak.

Do you really want to be warned by mods a FOURTH time about your behavior on this thread?

The Irish aren't "good at details" and the "written word" isn't important to them? Ah, OK.

Got bigotry? Anyone want to defend that one?

And by the way, I'm Irish. I'm pretty sure I know how Irish folk speak.

Nick, of course every single irish person is like that... just like the large majority here in "The Other Place" has a sub-human intelligence...

(cue all the people on here with golden ears insisting they can hear subtle tonal difference in bass in WOTW while walking down a city street at rush hour next to a jackhammer)

Nick, what is WOTW? You must have mistaken Interference for one of your War of the Worlds forums. Shouldn't you be dressing up in Dungeons and Dragons re-enactments soon?

Hmmmm...no, I thought about that, but I thought the word from French site was ambiguous. If they indeed have unabiguous word from an official source (like Universal), that it IS remastered, that of course has to go into the mix.

To be fair, here's the only evidence I'm aware of that it is remastered:

1) A comment from McGuinness from years ago that the entire "back catalogue" was going to be remastered. I never saw this comment personally, but many claim they did, so I'll take their word for it.
2) A plastic bag from the 360 tour from two years ago (promoting the current remasters) saying the back catalogue was being remastered.
3) A vague tweet from someone not associated with the band or this project that "they" were remastering Achtung Baby in the same studio.

By the way, I think all three of these could be correct. I think the likely explanation is that U2 intended to remaster it, had shot at it, and decided they liked the album the way it is.

And I guess you can add this French site, but again, I didn't think there was definitive word there, but I could be wrong.

Am I missing anything?

And that's it. Sorry, it's not nearly enough to convince me, and I think the evidence that it's not remastered far outweighs any of this. But people are free to draw their own conclusions.

You forgot the amazon.com listings stating they're remastered, and the Rolling Stone interview with Paul McGuinness a few weeks ago (there was no direct reference to remastering by McGuinness, but the article did state that it would be remastered... but I concede that it's quite possible that the writer of the article made up that detail). Also, I'd argue that just the precedent set by the previous U2 reissues should carry some weight.

That said, I agree with you. I now believe the evidence that AB is NOT remastered outweighs the evidence that it is. But thanks to the conflicting information out there, we just can't know for sure.

Nick, The Ireland and the Irish I know would have cured you of your 'correcting ways' long ago. They would have put in you in your place by third grade and made sure you never even thought about being such a pompous ass in public.

You forgot the amazon.com listings stating they're remastered, and the Rolling Stone interview with Paul McGuinness a few weeks ago (there was no direct reference to remastering by McGuinness, but the article did state that it would be remastered... but I concede that it's quite possible that the writer of the article made up that detail). Also, I'd argue that just the precedent set by the previous U2 reissues should carry some weight.

That said, I agree with you. I now believe the evidence that AB is NOT remastered outweighs the evidence that it is. But thanks to the conflicting information out there, we just can't know for sure.

Well put.
Everything stated by everyone on this forum is purely speculation. Really, the only thing we can go by at this point is what is on U2.com.

If indeed, NOTICE I SAID IF, it is not remastered then thats truly a shame.

What would I be paying for then - some crappy cheap shades, and worthless stickers? Everything else I have.

Until its officially in stores we just won't know.

Yeah....you're right about Amazon, I forgot that one, and it's a good point. In fact, it's the Amazon listing that started to convince me maybe my initial suspicions were incorrect. But later that day I got my email from Universal.

I thought about the Rolling Stone article, but dismissed for the reasons you indicated. And the fact that all the other reissues were remastered is the reason that I, like everyone else, assumed this one would be! I honestly just assumed that right until I read the press release.

You're right, we don't "know" 100% for sure. But personally speaking, based on the info that's out there, I'm convinced they're not remasters. I guess we'll just see.

Thanks for keeping it civil! :)

Well put.
What would I be paying for then - some crappy cheap shades, and worthless stickers? Everything else I have.

Really? Can you post your copy of Down All The Days and Oh Berlin, I would like to hear them as well as your demos of each song from the album. As well as the One remixes and the Fish Out of Water Remix of EBTTRT.

Thanks! :wave:

Um, no. I said I didn't really care if it's remastered or not. And I don't.

What I care about is people misrepresenting what I said (like you just did).

(sigh)

You said you don't care whether it's remastered and you don't care for the bonus material, or in other words, you don't care about the whole thing. So I've got no idea why you've dropped about a hundred posts in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom