Achtung Baby/Zooropa remasters CONFIRMED for Fall 2011 by Rolling Stone - Part II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Making it louder = remastering. :p
You're fiddling with the master recording (i.e. making it louder), hence you're re-mastering it. Granted, it's not the preferred action to take (and jacking up the levels isn't a difficult thing to do), but technically you're still doing a remaster.

Not really. I mean, I supposed you could call it a "remaster", but it's not a true one unless you go back to the source tapes. You can pump of the volume, adjust the EQ and do any number of things to a recording without going back to the original master tapes. Hell, you can adjust the EQ and loudness of a track on iTunes or your home stereo.

So called "digital remastering" is done all the time w/out benefit of the master tapes. Whether its increasing the volume or just removing tape hiss.

Exactly. But as I already noted, in those case the albums were REMASTERED. They stopped printing the old versions because a newer, updated version was available. For Achtung Baby they'll apparently stop printing the old version and replace it with... the old version. WTF?

Sure. New packaging. CD's, and in particular, DVD's are reissued all the time with little difference than new packaging. I'm sure they just want to make a nice, shiny new single disc edition available, probably with new internal artwork, just to remain consistent with the other releases. I don't know why people consider that so surprising, it's all just marketing.

And again, it will probably be louder, so technically it won't be the same disc (though they won't advertise it that way)

Nick66 said:
Yes, that's what I said. :) And I assume they'll do the same for this one, remastered or not.

BTW, just b/c it's still in a catalogue doesn't mean their still producing it. Your friend doesn't buy his CD's directly from Universal, he buys them from a distributor. Who knows how updated their catalogue is, and whether they are still just selling copies they have in their warehouse.

At this point there's no reason at all for Universal to continue to produce the existing disc.

Now i understand what you meant. Yes, they will replace the "old" disc for the "new" disc.

In case it's not remastered, i guess it's the first time i see a celebratory reissue (single disc) with nothing new, no remaster, no bonus track, no nothing. That's cheating.

Nick66 said:
Sure. New packaging. CD's, and in particular, DVD's are reissued all the time with little difference than new packaging. I'm sure they just want to make a nice, shiny new single disc edition available, probably with new internal artwork, just to remain consistent with the other releases. I don't know why people consider that so surprising, it's all just marketing.

And again, it will probably be louder, so technically it won't be the same disc (though they won't advertise it that way)

If it's not a remaster, it's surprising because they are not offering nothing new, not even a single lousy bonus track. I never saw that even with "lesser" artists.

U2_Guy said:
If it's not a remaster, it's surprising because they are not offering nothing new, not even a single lousy bonus track. I never saw that even with "lesser" artists.

I just remembered when that happened. And with a big name artist: some Jimi Hendrix reissues by the Hendrix family... The Woodstock double CD was reissued with nothing new and using the old remaster. The only new thing was the digipak package. And fans were furious.

Now i understand what you meant. Yes, they will replace the "old" disc for the "new" disc.

In case it's not remastered, i guess it's the first time i see a celebratory reissue (single disc) with nothing new, no remaster, no bonus track, no nothing. That's cheating.

I just remembered when that happened. And with a big name artist: some Jimi Hendrix reissues by the Hendrix family... The Woodstock double CD was reissued with nothing new and using the old remaster. The only new thing was the digipak package. And fans were furious.

How is it cheating? And why should fans be "furious"? Unless they say it's something it's not, who are they cheating/harming? They're just reissuing the same disc, maybe with slightly different packaging. It doesn't look like the price of the reissue single disc edition is going to be any more than the existing one, and certainly no one who has the old disc needs to buy the new one, so what's the big deal? No one says you have to buy it. I certainly wouldn't buy a single disc, unremastered version of AB again just for new packaging.

I mean, there are always going to be discs of Achtung Baby in print, right? So from this point onwards doesn't it makes sense they'd produce new copies consistent with the new packaging? Why continue to produce the old disc?

And if you're the type of person who just has to buy a reissue just because it's "new" and has shiny packaging, that's on you.

The single-disc reissues of Boy, October, Joshua Tree, etc. all had a sticker on the jewel case that said something along the lines of "remastered audio + expanded liner notes." How are they going to distinguish the "new" AB from the "old" one? They won't even be able to "expand" the liner notes because the original already had a 24-page booklet, which is what most of the past reissues were expanded to. They might cram some new photos/content into the existing booklet, but I doubt it will be more than the 24 pages of the original booklet. This is pure craziness.

My guess is that the sticker will read:

"Now includes slightly enhanced artwork plus... this sticker!"

Nick66 said:
How is it cheating? Unless they say it's something it's not, who are they cheating/harming? Their just reissuing the same disc, maybe with slightly different packaging. It doesn't look like the price of the reissue single disc edition is going to be any more than the existing one, and certainly no one who has the old disc needs to buy the new one, so what's the big deal?

And if you're the type of person who just has to buy a reissue just because it's "new" and has shiny packaging, that's on you.

I beg to differ. It's cheating. They are promoting it like a big time reissue. A 20th anniversary reissue and all. In the case of the single disc, they are just re-releasing the old disc in (perhaps) brand new drag.

morgan1098 said:
The single-disc reissues of Boy, October, Joshua Tree, etc. all had a sticker on the jewel case that said something along the lines of "remastered audio + expanded liner notes." How are they going to distinguish the "new" AB from the "old" one? They won't even be able to "expand" the liner notes because the original already had a 24-page booklet, which is what most of the past reissues were expanded to. They might cram some new photos/content into the existing booklet, but I doubt it will be more than the 24 pages of the original booklet. This is pure craziness.

Exactly.

I beg to differ. It's cheating. They are promoting it like a big time reissue. A 20th anniversary reissue and all. In the case of the single disc, they are just re-releasing the old disc in (perhaps) brand new drag.

It is a big time reissue. And if you want the bonus stuff, there's three other editions with bonus stuff included. Again, who are they cheating?

The market for the single disc edition is clearly for people who never bought AB baby before. Anyone who's interested in all the other stuff that comes w/ the reissue has three other options.

Would you feel better if they didn't release a single disc edition at all? What difference would that make?

Who says the have to do anything? They're just replacing the old edition of the disc w/a new one. What's the big deal? Is anyone around here planning on buying the single disc edition?

This is kind of surreal. I understand being upset b/c it's not remastered, I get it. But given that, what are they supposed to do? Not release a single disc edition at all? Who cares? Who is it hurting? Were they supposed to continue to press the original disc w/ the original packaging forever? After a while they started issuing AB in a jewel case as well as the digipak...did you have a problem with that?

Nick66 said:
It is a big time reissue. And if you want the bonus stuff, there's three other editions with bonus stuff included. Again, who are they cheating?

The market for the single disc edition is clearly for people who never bought AB baby before. Anyone who's interested in all the other stuff that comes w/ the reissue has three other options.

Would you feel better if they didn't release a single disc edition at all? What difference would that make?

Mate, if you can't see how bizarre it is to reissue something like that without a fine reason behind it, i won't even try giving more arguments. It was not like the single AB CD was something rare demanding a reissue like Pipes of Pan at Jojouka.

Who says the have to do anything? They're just replacing the old edition of the disc w/a new one. What's the big deal? Is anyone around here planning on buying the single disc edition?

This is kind of surreal. I understand being upset b/c it's not remastered, I get it. But given that, what are they supposed to do? Not release a single disc edition at all? Who cares? Who is it hurting? Were they supposed to continue to press the original disc w/ the original packaging forever? After a while they started issuing AB in a jewel case as well as the digipak...did you have a problem with that?

EXACTLY. Who says they have to do anything? Why not leave the existing AB disc exactly as it is? Why is it included in the press release at all? They aren't replacing the old edition with a new one... they're replacing the old edition with the old one. And yes, I know that the major thrust of this campaign is the deluxe editions and the bonus material. So again, why mess with the original album at all and subtly try to convince people that they're getting something "updated" when they're not?

When the original AB changed from digipak to jewel case, or underwent any other subtle changes in artwork/packaging, I can assure you there wasn't a press release about it.

morgan1098 said:
EXACTLY. Who says they have to do anything? Why not leave the existing AB disc exactly as it is? Why is it included in the press release at all? They aren't replacing the old edition with a new one... they're replacing the old edition with the old one. And yes, I know that the major thrust of this campaign is the deluxe editions and the bonus material. So again, why mess with the original album at all and subtly try to convince people that they're getting something "updated" when they're not?

When the original AB changed from digipak to jewel case, or underwent any other subtle changes in artwork/packaging, I can assure you there wasn't a press release about it.

This.

Mate, if you can't see how bizarre it is to reissue something like that without a fine reason behind it, i won't even try giving more arguments. It was not like the single AB CD was something rare demanding a reissue like Pipes of Pan at Jojouka.

Dude, your missing the point. The big deal about the reissue is the 2 disc, Super, and Deluxe Editions. That's the point. All that bonus material and crap that goes with them. The single disc edition is just for people who don't already own AB...or for whatever reason want to waste their money on new packaging.

I mean, what's your point exactly? You didn't answer my question...would you feel better if U2 just didn't issue a single disc edition at all, and just kept printing the existing disc w/ the existing packaging forever? Is that what they're supposed to be doing?

The press release clearly says the single disc edition is "The Original Achtung Baby" So, again, what's the problem? Why do you care if they reissue the single disc edition in new packaging? Where do they lie, or mislead people, about what it is? You act like U2 is the first artist ever to reissue a disc without remastering it.

Just to say something positive:

We're getting a new version of love is blindness and the fly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper::hyper:

Okay guys, as you were :)

Nick66 said:
Dude, your missing the point. The big deal about the reissue is the 2 disc, Super, and Deluxe Editions. That's the point. All that bonus material and crap that goes with them. The single disc edition is just for people who don't already own AB...or for whatever reason want to waste their money on new packaging.

I mean, what's your point exactly? You didn't answer my question...would you feel better if U2 just didn't issue a single disc edition at all, and just kept prating the existing disc w/ the existing packaging forever? Is that what they're supposed to be doing?

I'm not the kind of person who feels "better" or "worse" because of pop groups.

My point is: why to make a huge deal of the FIVE physical reissues when one of those 5 is not even a reissue? A reissue of something still in print with nothing new is not a reissue in my book. That is cheating. And don't hope changing my point of view, sir.

Nick66 said:
The press release clearly says the single disc edition is "The Original Achtung Baby" So, again, what's the problem? Why do you care if they reissue the single disc edition in new packaging? Where do they lie, or mislead people, about what it is? You act like U2 is the first artist ever to reissue a disc without remastering it.

It's one thing to reissue an album long OOP or rare. It's another thing to discontinue production of something to reissue it again with nothing new. I can only remember the Jimi Hendrix family reissues.

Once again, 'RE-ISSUING' an album implies that it has gone out of print. I know this happens all the time. A small label called Wounded Bird Records recently reissued The Cars 1988 album "Door to Door." It was not remastered, and it did not have new packaging. HOWEVER, the key difference is that this particular album had been out of print for more than a decade. Show me one artist in recent memory that has reissued an IN PRINT album with no new content or remastering, and included it as part of some sort of anniversary campaign. If it happens, it's because a smaller label buys the rights to an album and reissues it with very little, if any, involvement from the original artist.

U2 could easily have worded the press release to say "In addition to all of these deluxe editions, the original Achtung Baby album that you've loved for 20 years will continue to be available in a single-disc format." Hell, that would have been a huge early clue on the fact that it's not remastered, and would have saved us hours of agonizing argument. :)

morgan1098 said:
Once again, 'RE-ISSUING' an album implies that it has gone out of print. I know this happens all the time. A small label called Wounded Bird Records recently reissued The Cars 1988 album "Door to Door." It was not remastered, and it did not have new packaging. HOWEVER, the key difference is that this particular album had been out of print for more than a decade. Show me one artist in recent memory that has reissued an IN PRINT album with no new content or remastering, and included it as part of some sort of anniversary campaign. If it happens, it's because a smaller label buys the rights to an album and reissues it with very little, if any, involvement from the original artist.

U2 could easily have worded the press release to say "In addition to all of these deluxe editions, the original Achtung Baby album that you've loved for 20 years will continue to be available in a single-disc format." Hell, that would have been a huge early clue on the fact that it's not remastered, and would have saved us hours of agonizing argument. :)

Perfectly said.

I'm not the kind of person who feels "better" or "worse" because of pop groups.

My point is: why to make a huge deal of the FIVE physical reissues when one of those 5 is not even a reissue? A reissue of something still in print with nothing new is not a reissue in my book. That is cheating. And don't hope changing my point of view, sir.

Well, perhaps they're making a big deal out of it because 4 of the 5 editions do contain new material? And because even the single disc is, in fact, a reissue? I'm afraid, no matter what you think, it's not "cheating". I'm afraid you don't get to decide what the definition of a reissue is. We can be pretty certain that even the single disc edition will have some kind of new packaging, and maybe new liner notes. That may not be enough for you, but it's enough to call it a reissue. And you can also be certain that the existing disc will go out of print soon, if it's not already. And since we don't know for sure that there won't be SOME subtle changes to this disc, isn't this all a bit premature?

Having said that, you're entitled to feel as "cheated" as you like. I'm not trying to change your mind. If U2 is confusing you and the press release isn't clear enough for you, or if you're offended by the fact that one of the five editions of this product is a reissue of the original release, I definitely encourage you to avoid this release at all costs until your absolutely sure of what you're getting.

Well, again, you're entitled to be offended. But for one, you don't know exactly what has, or hasn't been done to this disc. Most of us suspect it will be louder, so that's enough to justify it. And even if all they did was put some new packaging a liner notes in it, from a marketing standpoint, that's enough as well. And it defies common sense to assume they will continue to produce the original disc. I'm sure they're already stopped production on it, and if they haven't, they will soon.

And by the way, the press release makes clear that the single disc edition is "The ORIGINAL Achtung Baby" album. So what's the issue? I think a lot of this stems from those of you who ASSUMED this would be remastered, and are now disappointed that it isn't. Fair enough...but I don't find the press release confusing in the least bit.

Just truly bizarre that of all things, people are offended by this.

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to all the bonus stuff (although I'm holding off on ordering the super-deluxe until amazon figures out its pricing). I wouldn't have bought the single-disc version even if it was remastered and included a lock of Bono's hair.

if it were a true remaster, and only a remaster with no goodies, would anybody care?

I'm perfectly fine with the production on Achtung. the only reason I've ever cared about any of the remasters are for the extras, and the extras on this reissue/remaster/whatever seem to be the best of what we've got so far, though the Paris DVD was pretty cool.

still, baby achtung? and maybe some of these outtakes too, she's gonna blow your house down, etc, could be different versions than what we've got on salome too. Have to figure at the very least that they'll sound much better than what we've got there already.

Nick66 said:
Well, perhaps they're making a big deal out of it because 4 of the 5 editions do contain new material? And because even the single disc is, in fact, a reissue? I'm afraid, no matter what you think, it's not "cheating". I'm afraid you don't get to decide what the definition of a reissue is. We can be pretty certain that even the single disc edition will have some kind of new packaging, and maybe new liner notes. That may not be enough for you, but it's enough to call it a reissue. And you can also be certain that the existing disc will go out of print soon, if it's not already. And since we don't know for sure that there won't be SOME subtle changes to this disc, isn't this all a bit premature?

Having said that, you're entitled to feel as "cheated" as you like. I'm not trying to change your mind. If U2 is confusing you and the press release isn't clear enough for you, or if you're offended by the fact that one of the five editions of this product is a reissue of the original release, I definitely encourage you to avoid this release at all costs until your absolutely sure of what you're getting.

Oh, i'm buying the Uber from Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom