Achtung Baby/ Zooropa remaster/ reissue - Part III/ three

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That seals the deal. Just placed my pre-order with release day shipping on Amazon. Can't wait for it...:drool::drool:

The simple answer for it not being on this release is that U2 doesn't want to go to the bother or reediting the DVD (Indeed I'd guess it's the same pressing if not actual unsold copies of the existing DVD). Why should they? And the reason it wasn't there in the first place is probably some random reason like whatever reason they left Mysterious Ways off Boston or Breather of the Rose bowl DVD.

Breathe is on the bonus section of the Rose Bowl DVD, so it was released. People Get Ready is excluded from the Boston Elevation DVD supposedly because of the fan pulled up to play it with them. Same with Party Girl for Vertigo in Chicago. I had heard the same thing regarding the Sydney DVD with Tryin. That has at least always been the story about some of those. You are probably right, if they really wanted they could have included them. But its probably not even worth any kind of possible hassle for them so they just deleted them out.

You are right about why Tryin is not on the new release. It is ridiculous they are even putting the Sydney DVD in this set, they certainly are not going to re edit it and spend money to do so. That is most likely why we didn't get a different Zoo show anyway. They did not want to spend the money to edit and produce a different show.

Maybe the person who was pulled up doesn't want to be featured in the official release. They have the right to refuse. seems this is most likely.

Breathe is on the bonus section of the Rose Bowl DVD, so it was released. People Get Ready is excluded from the Boston Elevation DVD supposedly because of the fan pulled up to play it with them. Same with Party Girl for Vertigo in Chicago. I had heard the same thing regarding the Sydney DVD with Tryin. That has at least always been the story about some of those. You are probably right, if they really wanted they could have included them. But its probably not even worth any kind of possible hassle for them so they just deleted them out.

You are right about why Tryin is not on the new release. It is ridiculous they are even putting the Sydney DVD in this set, they certainly are not going to re edit it and spend money to do so. That is most likely why we didn't get a different Zoo show anyway. They did not want to spend the money to edit and produce a different show.

I'm pretty sure the absence of People Get Ready has everything to do with a rights/royalty issue (think Send in the Clowns) and less with pulling some fan on stage. They really don't need permission to use that kind of fan footage. Again, they often get it just to cover every base, but they don't need it from a legal standpoint. If I'm not mistaken, there's another song from the Boston that is on the DVD with a fan dancing w/Bono as well.

Sure, I know Breathe is available as a bonus track on the 360 DVD, as is Mysterious Ways (featuring Bono's daughter Eve) on Boston. My point is, there's precedent for them leaving off certain songs on their concert DVD's, for whatever reason. Had they wanted to include Tryin' in Sydney, they could have.

I agree that the Sydney DVD is not really useful for this set and more of a throwaway, obviously most fans who are going to spend this kind of cash on something like this will have that DVD. But since it costs them next to nothing to include it (of course they wouldn't bother to re-edit it, why should they), I guess they figured why not.

Maybe the person who was pulled up doesn't want to be featured in the official release. They have the right to refuse.

Not necessarily. Sometimes a band might ask out of courtesy, but strictly speaking from a legal standpoint there's nothing stopping a band from using this kind of footage in most circumstances (as long as they don't specifically use the individuals name and/or likeness to sell the product).

A couple caveats to this...I'm speaking of general principles of law, and it can vary from country to country. Also, while not required to, some bands (U2 included) might have a policy of securing a release in these circumstance no matter what the law allows (in fact I'd be surprised if they didn't have such a policy). It's possible U2 tried, and was unable to obtain that permission from some individuals, and decided on their own not to use the footage.

Finally, with regard to the Sydney DVD specifically, the girls age, re: the champagne, really isn't' an issue as far as the video goes. What could be an issue would be whether, if she was under age, that she was legally able to give the implied consent to being filmed when she attended the concert. I'm not sure what the law is in Australia on this point.

For Boston, they had to throw some songs out because they wanted a better sound on the DVD. Sydney, I think she was underage (and champagne involved) and it was the reason why they didn't include Tryin'.

Plenty of recorded Bono-fan dancing on official DVDs...didn't stop them on Boston, Mexico, Milan...

For Boston, they had to throw some songs out because they wanted a better sound on the DVD. Sydney, I think she was underage (and champagne involved) and it was the reason why they didn't include Tryin'.

Plenty of recorded Bono-fan dancing on official DVDs...didn't stop them on Boston, Mexico, Milan...

This is the kind of thing that Edge should cover in the liner notes. In his notes for UABRS, he talks about how a major tape malfunction caused them to eliminate "I Fall Down" from what is otherwise a complete concert on DVD.

One of my neighbours was taken up on stage by U2 in Dublin 2005. Right after the concert a woman came up to him with a waiver a pen and a clipboard. He was so happy that he just said, "Where do I sign?"

It might have been that the fan in Sydney did something sexually suggestive that U2 didn't want repeated.

One of my neighbours was taken up on stage by U2 in Dublin 2005. Right after the concert a woman came up to him with a waiver a pen and a clipboard. He was so happy that he just said, "Where do I sign?"

It might have been that the fan in Sydney did something sexually suggestive that U2 didn't want repeated.

U2 Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - ZooTV Sydney - YouTube

Guessing it was simply that the girl was underage. Someone else pointed out that Milan, Boston, etc. all have fans pulled up. The Boston guy who played "People Get Ready" signed a release, so there was nothing stopping them from including it on a video...except for the fact that they probably don't have the rights to the song. (The same fate befell some of the covers they played in Paris on the 87 JT tour, none of which made it to the DVD, except the excerpts they couldn't edit around -- "Exodus" and "Gloria".)

Probably because people know its U2 and they think they will be rolling in it. Many aspiring songwriters just try and get their songs covered by Mariah, Whitney or Celine.

Its not that they don't have rights to the song, it is that they have to pay out coin. Every songwriter who has an agent would go crazy for their song to be on a U2 release.

I have heard of some releases where royalty payments trump revenues.

To those who are concerned about Zooropa, it is possible that they plan to release it as well on its 20th anniversary. Which would be July 2013. Nirvana are also currently re-releasing all of their albums exactly 20 years after their initial release.

This would be cool:

POP 15th March 2012
New Album Novmeber 2012
Zooropa 20th July 2013
R&H 25th Nov 2013

Maybe ATYCLB needs a remaster soon enough as well.

Seeing that there are 4 Zooropa related remixes on the extras (two of Numb and Lemon) has me wondering if we'll get a separate release for Zooropa at all.

That's what they said...but it really doesn't make that much sense to me. I think it's primarily a marketing thing...get people to buy the two disc version.

Hmmm... I think that reason is negated by the fact that the Slane DVD is 1 disc only. So people don't have to buy a 2-disc version. It simply does not exist.

Seeing that there are 4 Zooropa related remixes on the extras (two of Numb and Lemon) has me wondering if we'll get a separate release for Zooropa at all.

There's only four out of plenty of remixes and some outtakes. I think there's still a fair chance that we could get a Zooropa re-release sometime down the road. Not saying that we will, just saying that it's possible. I know they have that version of The Wanderer with Bono singing, which someone wanted it to go on the album but Bono insisted that Johnny Cash's version should go. Bono's version will be released someday it's just a matter of when. They have tons of remixes, if they don't have that many outtakes, that could make up a Zooropa 2 Disc Deluxe set and really that is all we'd need. I do wonder if Zooropa included there is definitely the same master as the copy I already own and isn't remastered?

I'm pretty sure the absence of People Get Ready has everything to do with a rights/royalty issue (think Send in the Clowns) and less with pulling some fan on stage. They really don't need permission to use that kind of fan footage. Again, they often get it just to cover every base, but they don't need it from a legal standpoint. If I'm not mistaken, there's another song from the Boston that is on the DVD with a fan dancing w/Bono as well.

Sure, I know Breathe is available as a bonus track on the 360 DVD, as is Mysterious Ways (featuring Bono's daughter Eve) on Boston. My point is, there's precedent for them leaving off certain songs on their concert DVD's, for whatever reason. Had they wanted to include Tryin' in Sydney, they could have.

I agree that the Sydney DVD is not really useful for this set and more of a throwaway, obviously most fans who are going to spend this kind of cash on something like this will have that DVD. But since it costs them next to nothing to include it (of course they wouldn't bother to re-edit it, why should they), I guess they figured why not.

Well, you nor I really know. What I do know is the fact that there seems to be a pattern since 1993 with U2 official concert releases, that if a fan gets pulled onstage, that footage is not included as part of the official full release. Sydney 1993, Boston 2001 and Chicago 2005, Mysterious Ways (which is Slane, not Boston) doesn't really count since the person pulled on stage is Bono's daughter. Could all be different reasons as to why, but it is all conjecture to suggest we know exactly why. My "guess" is that they just did not want to hassle with any possible legalities that could pop up with it. So the easiest thing to do is just not include it.

Dropped to what?

I'm still seeing $143 for the Super Deluxe and $478 for the Uber Deluxe on Amazon U.S.

yeah, the Super Deluxe price hasn't changed much...still hoping for a drastic drop..

The Uber deluxe started at $588, and the Super deluxe was at $168. I hadn't checked in a while, and since the Canadian site is now saying it isn't available, I wanted to see what the American site was selling it for.

Well, you nor I really know. What I do know is the fact that there seems to be a pattern since 1993 with U2 official concert releases, that if a fan gets pulled onstage, that footage is not included as part of the official full release. Sydney 1993, Boston 2001 and Chicago 2005, Mysterious Ways (which is Slane, not Boston) doesn't really count since the person pulled on stage is Bono's daughter. Could all be different reasons as to why, but it is all conjecture to suggest we know exactly why. My "guess" is that they just did not want to hassle with any possible legalities that could pop up with it. So the easiest thing to do is just not include it.

Well yeah I don't know for sure why they didn't include most of those songs w/ the audience on stage, I can only speculate. I'm saying merely that legally speaking they could if they wanted to, though obviously as I said they may just have their own policy in this regard and you're right they may not just want to hassle with it.

Yeah, you're right about Mysterious Ways on Boston, I know that....momentary lapse of reason.

One of my favourite eras in U2's music and I'm so late to the news!

If/when/how I get this (hoping I get it for Christmas:D) I will be spending the whole week in Achtung Baby era! Out come the posters, the music videos, ZooTV live in Sydney :wink: and maybe even some leather pants and fly glasses if I can get my hands on some :D. It will be a week to remember, and this remaster is the perfect opportunity! :up:

Anyone else doing this or just me? :reject:

:D

Yes... it's officially remastered. So happy about this now. I don't think I'll get any sets of anything, but I'll most definitely pick up a remastered copy of the album.

Can't wait for this to come out! The only thing I'm wishing I could get is the Achtung Baby covers album....that's going to be very cool to listen to...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom