ABC NEWS: Bono injured in rehearsal, undergoes emergency back surgery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we not read what Khan posted?

considering my last posts were this morning, nope, I missed it .

My point in relating is that there is a concise and uniform way to treat these issue, so the 25% of people who blew a disc will experience Y , 45 % will experience z and so on.

So in other words, what he ( Bono ) is experiencing is the same as what the majority of " everyday people " who have the same will experience. It is quite the same in almost everyone. There is very little variation or difference to what person A will experience, and what person z will experience.

Hard to talk about the one, and not help people understand by relating it to another . It would be less than.0005 that didnt have one of these variations.

But if that isn't relevent to his problem, he is ether different, or the discussion has ended in regards to the title of the thread.

He is a human being, like everyone else. Same bones, everything .

But ok.

Benj, could you please read the thread in the Lemonade Stand, about Back problems, medical info and advise. There is someone there who really could use any information that you could give.

Thanks!

Dramatic return for Bono in weeks says manager

Dramatic return for Bono in weeks says manager | Irish Entertainment Around the World | IrishCentral

Bono will return to the stage in weeks U2 manager Paul McGuinness has stated.

The singer has been sidelined with a serious back injury that needed an emergency operation.

McGuinness told the Evening Herald newspaper that "He's making a full recovery. The doctors told me he's going to be fine. It was serious surgery but we expect him to make a full recovery. He's pretty fit."

He denied rumors that the scale of the tour's massive stage production had anything to do with the injury.

"It's a big stage to run around, but no," he said. "I'll be very relieved when I see him running around the stage again. The European leg of the tour starts in Turin on August 6 and that has not been postponed.

"Rescheduling the American leg is quite difficult because it is an outdoor show; we can't do it in the winter because it's the northern hemisphere.

"So what we're doing now is trying to seek availability of the buildings that we had already pretty much sold-out, so we're getting availabilities and routing a coherent tour for next summer in the US and Canada. We've nearly done it so I hope we'll be able to announce that shortly."

McGuinness said the rest of the band has continued rehearsing without Bono.

"They're doing some work and planning to do some recording. It never stops really," he

Dramatic return for Bono in weeks says manager

Dramatic return for Bono in weeks says manager | Irish Entertainment Around the World | IrishCentral

Bono will return to the stage in weeks U2 manager Paul McGuinness has stated.

The singer has been sidelined with a serious back injury that needed an emergency operation.

McGuinness told the Evening Herald newspaper that "He's making a full recovery. The doctors told me he's going to be fine. It was serious surgery but we expect him to make a full recovery. He's pretty fit."

He denied rumors that the scale of the tour's massive stage production had anything to do with the injury.

"It's a big stage to run around, but no," he said. "I'll be very relieved when I see him running around the stage again. The European leg of the tour starts in Turin on August 6 and that has not been postponed.

"Rescheduling the American leg is quite difficult because it is an outdoor show; we can't do it in the winter because it's the northern hemisphere.

"So what we're doing now is trying to seek availability of the buildings that we had already pretty much sold-out, so we're getting availabilities and routing a coherent tour for next summer in the US and Canada. We've nearly done it so I hope we'll be able to announce that shortly."

McGuinness said the rest of the band has continued rehearsing without Bono.

"They're doing some work and planning to do some recording. It never stops really," he

Hope so. Still wondering why he is wearing a hard brace if he has made so much progress. It would be contridiction to say that, and be wearing a hard brace.

didn't Lance just see him last week? Says he did .....

Where did we see him in a hard brace?

every picture post surgery, he is wearing a hard brack. Almot every pictures , or video BEFORE leading up to the tour (u2.com) he is wearing a hard brace. Before the tour. We do know all was not well, as he was seeing Dr Muller. Why was he seeing him during the break for injections and "intense Physical Therapy " ? When he gets out of the van, to see he stage for the first time, he is wearing a hard brace. Once again, you can see it . Comes right up to his chest.

During a weekend in miami, during the Tour, he was wearing a hard brace under the Military jacket.

Look at U2.com video on demand "The Couch " You can see it under his "jacket" and when he moves. His face is very puffy. corticosteroids will cause that , which is ore lkely what he was recieveing in Germany.... in some fashion. More importantly, watch when he moves to adjust how he is seated. he doesnt move his lower back, he moves his whole body. People without LB injures, dont move lke that. they bend from the lower back. They don't walk like that normally, they walk very stiffly, like turning the whole body , instead of normlly use the lower back to turn.

This stage was out of their pocket. The contrustion cost alone, plus the people, hotels, etc, all these people are on contract. They get paid for the contract no matter once. My Friend at Cellar says they have over 150 million dollars of their own money in this show. that is a lot, but they make the majrity of their money from touring. Break even on their costs were 350 Million. that's a lot of money, being spent by U2 directly. Consider again, they have been writing checks on this for 2 years . Every investment that Bono has made in the last 4 years, has been disasterous ( well reported and on record if you don't believe it

So, was there some financial pressure to play hurt?

someone tell me how to post photo's and I will show you with photo's.

I hope I am awrong, and I wlll bet a U2 forum Party in Miami Beach if I am, but his surgery was more than they are saying it was. I will throw one when they do the rescheduled date.

There is more to this situation than a PT accident during rehersals. The band was not even in the same part of the world, what band was he rehearsing with?

I don't think he's been wearing such a thing. There are many pictures with his shirt almost open and you can see he's not wearing anything. Bono isn't slim, what you see buldging under his shirt is simply ... his body!

You cannot judge from pictures what Bono's wearing underneath his clothes. On the latest pictures he doesn't look any different than he always does, maybe he's wearing something, maybe he isn't, but it would make sense so shortly after surgery. However, someone said he wouldn't need to wear one because the muscles have to be trained to carry the weight again themseves. And during the last tour, Bono absolutely did not look as if he was in pain. You don't move like that when you're in pain. Even if the pain isn't there, you don't move like that if your insecure about your back.

I think most of what you're writing is purely based on speculation, Benji. Your posts come with a lot of innuendo. You seem to scare people on this forum on purpose. I haven't seen you post in any other U2-related subject before. I really think you should stop throwing around your theories and scare people. The situation is already hard enough for many fans to take and people are trying to focus on positive stuff. U2 is about looking into the future and about hope. I haven't read all of your posts but whenever I see what you've written, there's always a lot of negativity in there. You are negative about Bono's recovery, about U2's financial situation, about their investments and Bono's political work. You use this topic about Bono's injury to comment on stuff that is totally unrelated to that issue. You constantly ignore what the mods are saying.

I honestly have the feeling that you have some "hiddgen agenda" going on here because you just came out of the blue a couple of weeks ago and hadn't posted anything U2-related before, and now you're constantly spreading negativity here, trying to stir up things, causing doom and gloom. Some fans may be easy to impress because they're worried for Bono, so I think this has to stop. No need to irritate people even more.

That's just my personal opinion, it makes me feel VERY uncomfortable to read your posts and think about the impact they might have on some people here.

every picture post surgery, he is wearing a hard brack. Almot every pictures , or video BEFORE leading up to the tour (u2.com) he is wearing a hard brace. Before the tour. We do know all was not well, as he was seeing Dr Muller. Why was he seeing him during the break for injections and "intense Physical Therapy " ? When he gets out of the van, to see he stage for the first time, he is wearing a hard brace. Once again, you can see it . Comes right up to his chest.

During a weekend in miami, during the Tour, he was wearing a hard brace under the Military jacket.

Look at U2.com video on demand "The Couch " You can see it under his "jacket" and when he moves. His face is very puffy. corticosteroids will cause that , which is ore lkely what he was recieveing in Germany.... in some fashion. More importantly, watch when he moves to adjust how he is seated. he doesnt move his lower back, he moves his whole body. People without LB injures, dont move lke that. they bend from the lower back. They don't walk like that normally, they walk very stiffly, like turning the whole body , instead of normlly use the lower back to turn.

This stage was out of their pocket. The contrustion cost alone, plus the people, hotels, etc, all these people are on contract. They get paid for the contract no matter once. My Friend at Cellar says they have over 150 million dollars of their own money in this show. that is a lot, but they make the majrity of their money from touring. Break even on their costs were 350 Million. that's a lot of money, being spent by U2 directly. Consider again, they have been writing checks on this for 2 years . Every investment that Bono has made in the last 4 years, has been disasterous ( well reported and on record if you don't believe it

So, was there some financial pressure to play hurt?

someone tell me how to post photo's and I will show you with photo's.

I hope I am awrong, and I wlll bet a U2 forum Party in Miami Beach if I am, but his surgery was more than they are saying it was. I will throw one when they do the rescheduled date.

There is more to this situation than a PT accident during rehersals. The band was not even in the same part of the world, what band was he rehearsing with?

This is even more speculation than your Club of Rome bullshit.

I'm sorry I even asked, I thought maybe you were actually being honest and had evidence of this...

Look at U2.com video on demand "The Couch " You can see it under his "jacket" and when he moves.

A: You cannot possibly see a brace in that video. Your claim is absurd.

B: It was never stated by anyone in the U2 camp that the injury occurred during rehearsals. The official statement said it happened "during tour preparation training". Sorry if that doesn't jive with your conspiracy theories.

the band in his head playing a striptease, of course

common knowledge :shrug:

The official statement said it happened "during tour preparation training".

Exactly..has anyone thought that maybe he just pulled something working out to get fit? (I'm not sure, maybe someone mentioned it) At any rate, so he was training and he hurt himself. All this craziness about how long he had been experiencing the problem blah blah etc etc...it's just pure speculation. Maybe he was doing some exercising, I mean, I really don't know..has there been any real word on what it was he was doing beyond 'training'?

From what I can recall, he always starts jogging and training leading up to a leg of a tour. He also rehearses. Training is training. Rehearsing is rehearsing. So all this crap about was it during the UV swinging from the mic repetition, was it from the Elevation fall, was it this or that...HOLY COW PEOPLE, maybe he slipped off the weight mat or did an extra squat that he shouldn't have. Of course it's serious, but it's got probably got nothing to do with about 99% of what people said in this thread and others!

This is even more speculation than your Club of Rome bullshit.

I'm sorry I even asked, I thought maybe you were actually being honest and had evidence of this...

How many people a day do you see wearing hard braces? if it is more than 50, everyday, for 15 years beneath every sort of fashion and disguise you could imagine, then we can talk .

How many people do you see everyday who have a "bloated " look because they are on cortsoid injections? more than 100? then we can talk.

Besides Paul, there is one other person who has had one of the longest Business/friendships with these guys since they became U2. He is an " Island Guy" . You think he knows? I could throw a Tomato and hit his window. S Miami Beach is a small community. Very small. People from the industry that are here on any given day would be a large crowd. do you know if Bono has a home here?

Besides ones concern about the person, this thing called U2 is a huge business, and many people are invested, heavily in what happens next. You don't think they are all talking about it, and that many of them actually concerned and know?

Once again, context,physically , in relation to what u2's manager said is important. How he said it, even more so. You know any promoters?

The Busness aspects of Bono's company has recently had a lot of attention and press. Did Allie and the kids recently move to NYC so she could try to save RED, which is bankrupt? Front page NY Times, so it must be true..... right?

Just because you give me another warm fuzzy feeling about the global world,(especially the angry , defensive part ) if you go to the club of Rome and Madrid, and look hard enough, you will see a Class Picture" .

Beyond all the good they do, musically and with people, and all the talent, they are still just people . Nothing more, nothing less. The majority of them like it that way.

Great ! Thank you very much.

"Bono, who is at home recovering from major back surgery and has postponed his North American tour this summer, admitted that the band took a big risk using a futuristic spider-like stage in their 360 Degree tour.
The band created a stage that allowed viewing opportunities from every angel of a theater or stadium and spent millions of dollars in doing so.
Bono said: "Had it flopped on the first night, we would have been inwe would have been in some deep doo-doo."

Suppose a delay in the tour would involve some doo-doo also ? they are paying everyone and everything right now. If there was any hint, and people started returning tickets already sold, be a big pile of doo-doo . They are pretty much self financing the tour.

when a manager or promoter talks, especially in times of issues, watch closely what they say .

Context.

How many people a day do you see wearing hard braces? if it is more than 50, everyday, for 15 years beneath every sort of fashion and disguise you could imagine, then we can talk .

How many people do you see everyday who have a "bloated " look because they are on cortsoid injections? more than 100? then we can talk.

Besides Paul, there is one other person who has had one of the longest Business/friendships with these guys since they became U2. He is an " Island Guy" . You think he knows? I could throw a Tomato and hit his window. S Miami Beach is a small community. Very small. People from the industry that are here on any given day would be a large crowd. do you know if Bono has a home here?

Besides ones concern about the person, this thing called U2 is a huge business, and many people are invested, heavily in what happens next. You don't think they are all talking about it, and that many of them actually concerned and know?

Once again, context,physically , in relation to what u2's manager said is important. How he said it, even more so. You know any promoters?

The Busness aspects of Bono's company has recently had a lot of attention and press. Did Allie and the kids recently move to NYC so she could try to save RED, which is bankrupt? Front page NY Times, so it must be true..... right?

Just because you give me another warm fuzzy feeling about the global world,(especially the angry , defensive part ) if you go to the club of Rome and Madrid, and look hard enough, you will see a Class Picture" .

Beyond all the good they do, musically and with people, and all the talent, they are still just people . Nothing more, nothing less. The majority of them like it that way.

Meltdown.

I used to sell orthopedic implants and soft goods, so I've seen MANY of folks in hard braces. :lol:

People also get "bloated" from too much wine or food, so it's still just speculation.
So while you were throwing a tomato at him he told you that Bono is wearing a brace? WTF does this have to do with anything?

Link? You're getting your stories very convoluted.

Where's that link?

"Bono, who is at home recovering from major back surgery and has postponed his North American tour this summer, admitted that the band took a big risk using a futuristic spider-like stage in their 360 Degree tour.
The band created a stage that allowed viewing opportunities from every angel of a theater or stadium and spent millions of dollars in doing so.
Bono said: "Had it flopped on the first night, we would have been inwe would have been in some deep doo-doo."

Suppose a delay in the tour would involve some doo-doo also ? they are paying everyone and everything right now. If there was any hint, and people started returning tickets already sold, be a big pile of doo-doo . They are pretty much self financing the tour.

when a manager or promoter talks, especially in times of issues, watch closely what they say .

Context.

Link FAIL

I don't think he's been wearing such a thing. There are many pictures with his shirt almost open and you can see he's not wearing anything. Bono isn't slim, what you see buldging under his shirt is simply ... his body!

You cannot judge from pictures what Bono's wearing underneath his clothes. On the latest pictures he doesn't look any different than he always does, maybe he's wearing something, maybe he isn't, but it would make sense so shortly after surgery. However, someone said he wouldn't need to wear one because the muscles have to be trained to carry the weight again themseves. And during the last tour, Bono absolutely did not look as if he was in pain. You don't move like that when you're in pain. Even if the pain isn't there, you don't move like that if your insecure about your back.

I think most of what you're writing is purely based on speculation, Benji. Your posts come with a lot of innuendo. You seem to scare people on this forum on purpose. I haven't seen you post in any other U2-related subject before. I really think you should stop throwing around your theories and scare people. The situation is already hard enough for many fans to take and people are trying to focus on positive stuff. U2 is about looking into the future and about hope. I haven't read all of your posts but whenever I see what you've written, there's always a lot of negativity in there. You are negative about Bono's recovery, about U2's financial situation, about their investments and Bono's political work. You use this topic about Bono's injury to comment on stuff that is totally unrelated to that issue. You constantly ignore what the mods are saying.

I honestly have the feeling that you have some "hiddgen agenda" going on here because you just came out of the blue a couple of weeks ago and hadn't posted anything U2-related before, and now you're constantly spreading negativity here, trying to stir up things, causing doom and gloom. Some fans may be easy to impress because they're worried for Bono, so I think this has to stop. No need to irritate people even more.

That's just my personal opinion, it makes me feel VERY uncomfortable to read your posts and think about the impact they might have on some people here.

" I haven't seen you post in any other U2-related subject before."

" I haven't read all of your posts"

says alot right there.

"You are negative about Bono's recovery,No, I am realistic about it.

about U2's financial situation, about their investments and Bono's political work." I said Club of Rome twice.

U2's financial situation , was in the Paul link that someone else posted in detail, from Bono's own words. Is he being negative? Adam is suing everyone, plus their accountant related to the bands business. Again linked in this thread , by someone else. Also , in the NY times, Fortune magazine, Wall Street Journal , and almost every newspaper in Europe. I am printing these or writing them? No , or does one just ignore them? If Bono is giving the associated press interviews, on his plane regarding the bad album sales, I am supposed to come here and say" It's not true" ? is that the Bono, Edge, Adam , and larry you know? Not hardly. Did Bono say himself the concern over the financial stake in RED, or the tour? yes, in great detail. If he didnt want it known, he wouldn't have given the interviews. He likes to be challanged on issues and have a good discussion.

Also linked in that article, was his DR, clearly stating total rest for 2 months. Yet, in someone elses words, he is already to go. I didnt write or link it, I read it. So, I have an agenda? I think not. I did not link or write.

Had I saw this website 6 months ago , I would have most likely posted on other subjects, certainly. everyone else does. I don't recall seeing it said " you cant sign up because you missed the date. had I, I would not have signed up.

If somewhere in your own mind, you feel I am trying to attack good members and frequent guests in my community, that's all your perception. if you ask me, i would truly answer I am not. The people that really matter would know I am not. Many a time we have closed chris Blackwells Marlin bar... many times in far deeper conversations . I expect we will again. never once did none ever leave feeling nervous. I am sorry I don't understand that concept in relation to discussions. It would not be my experience.

yes, he is wearing a brace, and no, it isn't close to norm. After 15 years and another 10, I am quaified to say it. You would understand why I am saying it, and why his Dr is discussing it himself . yes, I am concerned. the financial pressure sometimes make people do things to fast. I understand his injury more than you ever will.

out of respect for your misundestanding and total mis-stating my motivation ( which isnt the right word, your contriving it ), I will ignore things i know, 100% to be true ,(read the other posts that you have not read and you would know how i know ) since you have a fear that I am trying to destroy U2. i am sure one day soon, I will bring that up and I can watch a 300.00 glass of wine shoot out his nose at Chris's house.

cool? I really don't want you upset. I have some realist glasses lying around somewhere. rose colored.

Everyone has problems, and Bono hmself said " when he loses the abilty to share those with our fans, we are done and illrellevent. " Interesting statement, but they believe that.

he has never read the book " walking on eggshells" I asked.

" I haven't seen you post in any other U2-related subject before."

" I haven't read all of your posts"

says alot right there.

"You are negative about Bono's recovery,No, I am realistic about it.

about U2's financial situation, about their investments and Bono's political work." I said Club of Rome twice.

U2's financial situation , was in the Paul link that someone else posted in detail, from Bono's own words. Is he being negative? Adam is suing everyone, plus their accountant related to the bands business. Again linked in this thread , by someone else. Also , in the NY times, Fortune magazine, Wall Street Journal , and almost every newspaper in Europe. I am printing these or writing them? No , or does one just ignore them? If Bono is giving the associated press interviews, on his plane regarding the bad album sales, I am supposed to come here and say" It's not true" ? is that the Bono, Edge, Adam , and larry you know? Not hardly. Did Bono say himself the concern over the financial stake in RED, or the tour? yes, in great detail. If he didnt want it known, he wouldn't have given the interviews. He likes to be challanged on issues and have a good discussion.

Also linked in that article, was his DR, clearly stating total rest for 2 months. Yet, in someone elses words, he is already to go. I didnt write or link it, I read it. So, I have an agenda? I think not. I did not link or write.

Had I saw this website 6 months ago , I would have most likely posted on other subjects, certainly. everyone else does. I don't recall seeing it said " you cant sign up because you missed the date. had I, I would not have signed up.

If somewhere in your own mind, you feel I am trying to attack good members and frequent guests in my community, that's all your perception. if you ask me, i would truly answer I am not. The people that really matter would know I am not. Many a time we have closed chris Blackwells Marlin bar... many times in far deeper conversations . I expect we will again. never once did none ever leave feeling nervous. I am sorry I don't understand that concept in relation to discussions. It would not be my experience.

yes, he is wearing a brace, and no, it isn't close to norm. After 15 years and another 10, I am quaified to say it. You would understand why I am saying it, and why his Dr is discussing it himself . yes, I am concerned. the financial pressure sometimes make people do things to fast. I understand his injury more than you ever will.

out of respect for your misundestanding and total mis-stating my motivation ( which isnt the right word, your contriving it ), I will ignore things i know, 100% to be true ,(read the other posts that you have not read and you would know how i know ) since you have a fear that I am trying to destroy U2. i am sure one day soon, I will bring that up and I can watch a 300.00 glass of wine shoot out his nose at Chris's house.

cool? I really don't want you upset. I have some realist glasses lying around somewhere. rose colored.

Everyone has problems, and Bono hmself said " when he loses the abilty to share those with our fans, we are done and illrellevent. " Interesting statement, but they believe that.

he has never read the book " walking on eggshells" I asked.

last one. I am making up the fact that this all began years ago. I KNOW it did. 2003 .

Here is a great timeline of his injury. I am not making this up.. I saw hi many times during this period.

1)Postscript: Bono has been having back trouble for several years now. Here's a selection of entries that appear in my book, U2-A Diary, that refer to Bono's back trouble.

2)February 14, 2003
Edge attends the Dublin premiere of Salma Hayek's new movie, Frida. Bono is reportedly unable to be there due to back pain.

3)February 18, 2003
Bono is unable to attend the Dublin premiere of Neil Jordan's The Good Thief, his second cancelled appearance in the past week. Dublin media learn that Bono has a slipped disc in his back. B- I KNOW about this one. I KNOW . This is when his Current problem started.

4)March 9, 2003
Reports surface that Bono's back pain is so bad, he has to lie down in the studio while working on U2's new album.

5)March 10, 2003
Subbing for Bono, whose back is in too much pain, Edge and Tom Morello (of Audioslave) induct The Clash into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

6)May 19, 2005
The New York Daily News reports that Bono has seen a back specialist while in the area this week. The paper says Bono visited Dr. Vijay Vad, a physician who specialises in non-surgical treatment of the spine, at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

7)2005
- Brainpool TV Studios, Cologne. U2 appear on the German late night programme TV Total. Host Stefan Raab interviews the band between live performances of 'City Of Blinding Lights' and 'Vertigo'. Earlier in the day, a team of German doctors visits Bono in his hotel room and administers about two-dozen injections to alleviate pain in his

he has been wearing the brace for years sir. My statements were consistent with this very timeline. I KNOW ! cant violate how I do, but I KNOW 100%

Thats all. Facts please. thats what you got in every post I made.

All of the above stated incidents have been well documented, we know they are true, no one is denying that. We've all said that Bono has had back troubles for years, we know that he had problems during the Vertigo tour and before, all of that stuff has been said by Bono as well. So what's the point in pointing it out over and over again? No one here is denying that Bono's been having problems with his back for years and he's obviously been in treatment for it. It's most of the other stuff in your comments that seems to be based on speculation and innuendo, and you're making it sound like some huge conspiracy theory by including totally unrelated stuff about Bono and the band, their tours, performances, finances and investments.

The thing with the back brace is pure speculation. From none of these pictures or videos you can tell for sure what Bono is wearing underneath his clothes. You mistake his obvious "stockiness" for something else. All of us have seen these pictures and videos and I don't remember anyone commenting on a possible brace Bono is wearing underneath. Could be that he's been wearing that thing on several occassions when he's problems were getting worse, but you make it sound as if he's never left the house without it in the last years. I think you have too much time on your hands, watching all this stuff and over-analyzing it. Again, seeing Bono on stage didn't look as if that man was in pain, you don't move like that when you're in pain or even afraid your back may cause you troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom