7 reasons of why Elevation ....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J_NP

New Yorker
Tour ranks as the easiest one to be forgotten , considering U2's last five tours , Actually a explanation why I'm a good , only good fan of it :

1- It was the tour that toured the less in all lasts , US - Canada and Europe , how are supposed the fans from other countries to love such a thing ?

2- Consider Lack of the last album material - in the case : Pop , songs like Please and LNOE could have easily improved the show

3- Lack of explosive sound / songs , while it's out of discussion Elevation Fly was TNT , Just compare the indoor shows dvds of vertigo and elevation , while in the 4th song of chicago , Electric Co is rocking everythin after Elevation had done as well ( Considering that elevation vertigo is even more expls than it's 2001 version ) , Boston changes from Until the end , which is pretty much the only real explosive rocker early moment of the set

4- Some bad guitar choices : While it was a nice return of the explorer , I feel a lot the almost complete absence of Edge's Goldtop Les Paul , which after proved all the power of it's sound in Popmart , was reduced only for End of the world , and the complete lack of Semi-acoustic guitars , a song like One for me never worked as originally without an SA guitar like in Zoo and Pop ....

5- Too much short sets , Slane for example which is presented complete , only 20 songs , having an 4 songs only encore

6- Too drastic early mood changes , in the indoor shows for example , after End of the world , Stuck and Kite right next ? It kinda doesn't exactly work the best way

7- Talking bout the versions itselves :

Elevation 2001 never grown on me , it seemed that there was something missing , smthing they only found in 2005 IMO ; Fly while many love it and i kinda like , but I don't consider as the true version of fly ; Bullet , specially the solo doesn't sound good compared to others ; NYD doesn't sound good using effects similar to war tour sound with the custom LP .... there are many others

J_NP said:
2- Consider Lack of the last album material - in the case : Pop , songs like Please and LNOE could have easily improved the show

Please was played at most of the third leg shows, albeit an acoustic version at all but one. Its first Elevation appearance in Baltimore, 2001-10-19, was full band.

Otherwise I tend to agree. Some of the shows were way too short, especially on the third leg (18-19 songs), I don't think Bono's voice was that great at all, and I just find much of the tour bland. Elevation is my second-least favourite tour (ZooTV being the one I dislike the most). Vertigo is a vast improvement.

I'd agree... for the pre-9/11 shows.
The one I saw in Vegas was so emotional and intimate, that it ranks as the one show I'll never forget.
I can only imagine what the NYC shows felt like.

What tour? We didnt get the tour! I dont know what you're talking about... seems they forgot about us!

-An Aussie

Meh I'm tired of people complaining that they didn't get an Elevation or Vertigo show because they live in Estonia or Turkey or Kamchutka.

Rock and roll is about the cash man, sorry.
tardst6.gif

Canadiens1160 said:
Meh I'm tired of people complaining that they didn't get an Elevation or Vertigo show because they live in Estonia or Turkey or Kamchutka.

Rock and roll is about the cash man, sorry.
tardst6.gif

Or maybe Vatican City...

junkydog said:
What tour? We didnt get the tour! I dont know what you're talking about... seems they forgot about us!

-An Aussie

I heard there was some hype about a tour in the late 90s with a big lemon or something.

I can't wait to see Macphistos antics on the Vertigo tour.

- A Kiwi

yeah, u2 could have done ZooTV for 10 years. that would have been awesome! they would totally be the best band in the world if that did that :|

discothequeLP said:
yeah, u2 could have done ZooTV for 10 years. that would have been awesome! they would totally be the best band in the world if that did that :|
Dude I got a better idea than ZooTV II, let's do a new album that's like Pop, we can call it Pop II!

J_NP said:

1- It was the tour that toured the less in all lasts , US - Canada and Europe , how are supposed the fans from other countries to love such a thing ?

3- Lack of explosive sound / songs , while it's out of discussion Elevation Fly was TNT , Just compare the indoor shows dvds of vertigo and elevation , while in the 4th song of chicago , Electric Co is rocking everythin after Elevation had done as well ( Considering that elevation vertigo is even more expls than it's 2001 version ) , Boston changes from Until the end , which is pretty much the only real explosive rocker early moment of the set

4- Some bad guitar choices : While it was a nice return of the explorer , I feel a lot the almost complete absence of Edge's Goldtop Les Paul , which after proved all the power of it's sound in Popmart , was reduced only for End of the world , and the complete lack of Semi-acoustic guitars , a song like One for me never worked as originally without an SA guitar like in Zoo and Pop ....

5- Too much short sets , Slane for example which is presented complete , only 20 songs , having an 4 songs only encore

6- Too drastic early mood changes , in the indoor shows for example , after End of the world , Stuck and Kite right next ? It kinda doesn't exactly work the best way

7- Talking bout the versions itselves :

Elevation 2001 never grown on me , it seemed that there was something missing , smthing they only found in 2005 IMO ; Fly while many love it and i kinda like , but I don't consider as the true version of fly ; Bullet , specially the solo doesn't sound good compared to others ; NYD doesn't sound good using effects similar to war tour sound with the custom LP .... there are many others

1) OK, it was a really short tour. But what does the length of it to do with the quality? Take Lovetown, the shortest of all U2 tours.

2) Interesting point. U2 played Discotheque, Gone, SATS, Please and WUDM on Elevation. That's 5 songs off the last album.

3) UTEOTW, Gone, NY. Not rocking enough in the early set?

4) :shrug: Matter of taste.

5) There were Elevation shows with 22, 23 songs too.

6) Some transitions work better than others. This can be said of any tour.

7) I like all Flys, personally. Bullet I feel was better on Elevation. Can't see much of a difference in NYD.

As for most forgettable of past 5 tours? Popmart for me.

ATYCLB was crap.
Elevation tour was crap.
I can't wait for a "ATYCLB has the worst cd booklet ever made" thread.

Elevation tour was incredible. It was so emotional, especially in the third leg of the US after 9.11, the shows were amazing.

POP and ZOOTV were the shit, but then again, it was good to see them just get on stage and do some songs again.

True it was nice for a while to see them go back to smaller stage's.

But now im actually missing the big shows like Zoo and POPmart. That were really the highlights of touring from U2.

schnumi said:
True it was nice for a while to see them go back to smaller stage's.

But now im actually missing the big shows like Zoo and POPmart. That were really the highlights of touring from U2.

Me too, I miss the grandness of a huge stage; I wonder if the outdoor Vertigo stage comes close to PopMart/Zoo.
I'd love it if they'd do areans then stadiums like they did for Zoo TV next time around, and get the best of both worlds :drool:

I really loved the elevation tour, not because it was big and POP-like (which i also loved) but because it was such a contrast. It wasnt about all this big masculine rockstar stuff, it was a complete comedown and 'back to basics' and I felt like it was more intimate than the other gigs and there was more of a connection with the crowd and the band. They could have played more songs, but I think they still played pretty good set lengths compared with other bands. Elevation, to me, was like 'four men and an audience' and I doubt they will ever do that again now.

Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

well, I think Elevation Tour was the only way U2 could go after PopMart and it was perfect for that 'era', but I agree, it is one of their worst tours and probably most forgettable...
I can't imagine in ten years some new fans 'discovering' ElevationT. like some new fans 'discover' Lovetown, ZooTV or PopMart right now saying it's amazing etc.
I think you just had to see it, experience it to appreciate this tour - for that it will be quickly forgotten IMO

U2girl said:

yet you mention it (or the POP album) every chance you get, not so forgettable after all, eh?:wink:

Hummm... Elevation shows were great (I love every tour in a different way), and I know it was supposed to be an arena tour with a more intimate feeling and a bigger approach to the public - that's why it feels great - but the thread started is right in almost the things he pointed. I think, however, that those bad points were all corrected in the Vertigo Tour.

I won't ever forget Elevation because I became a fan around that era. But I agree that it is probably the most forgetable tour. As bathiu said, I don't believe that someone who became a fan after Bomb will go back to Elevation and say that it was an amazing tour, but if we talk about ZooTV and Lovetown that's a different story...

AaronMcKie said:

Me too, I miss the grandness of a huge stage; I wonder if the outdoor Vertigo stage comes close to PopMart/Zoo.
I'd love it if they'd do areans then stadiums like they did for Zoo TV next time around, and get the best of both worlds :drool:

Didn't they just exactily do that with the Vertigo tour???:scratch:

Re: Re: 7 reasons of why Elevation ....

U2girl said:

2) Interesting point. U2 played Discotheque, Gone, SATS, Please and WUDM on Elevation. That's 5 songs off the last album.

3) UTEOTW, Gone, NY. Not rocking enough in the early set?

4) :shrug: Matter of taste.

5) There were Elevation shows with 22, 23 songs too.

6) Some transitions work better than others. This can be said of any tour.

7) I like all Flys, personally. Bullet I feel was better on Elevation. Can't see much of a difference in NYD.

1- Yeah but it did visit places like Asia , Oceania , u gotta remember though it was "the official" tour of RF , it worked as places to visit , that JT didn't , as JT part II .
Not like U call a "WORLD TOUR " and stay on NA and Euro

2- U2 only few times played Discotheque , very few times , and it was mixed with Staring :huh: ; For Please Axver did answer , and u know what I meant to REALLY play Please ( tip : 4 people playing ) ; Wake Up was only a snippet , besides Wake was always played as a complement ; So u can really count Staring and Gone , Staring though if u count it's like it was only played 2 months ;

3- Gone was the 6th song , never before this , NY always after as well , both are in the 2nd part of the 1st half , that's not pretty early

5- So there was vertigo shows with 25 songs , though most of them ended in media with at least 21 , Elevation had even 18 , or in media 19 .

7- Wanna check NYD , get any version of it on Popmart , particularly Mexico's , compare Edge's sound

Last edited:
Aygo said:
but the thread started is right in almost the things he pointed. I think, however, that those bad points were all corrected in the Vertigo Tour.

Exactly , things that made me so happy bout Vertigo , and made me love it more

guill said:
ATYCLB was crap.
Elevation tour was crap.
I can't wait for a "ATYCLB has the worst cd booklet ever made" thread.

actually the worst CD booklet ever made was HTDAAB "deluxe" edition :wink:

What a rip off ! :|

Now talking about Elevation Tour, I do agree it was lame, short and tired :ohmy: The first nights they played interesting setlists, but then ... simply forgettable setlists and performances. It was a HUGE difference, you know, to see such amazing live act of the 90s reduced to those men aging incredibly fast and playing it safe :ohmy:

Vertigo Tour was bigger and it was intended actually as a mix up from Pop Mart Tour (screen, stage) and Elevation (golden circle, band look, setlists, etc). The result was a much better tour ;) with Bono in better shape and the band playing more on fire this time :drool:

The inclusion of early rarities was an excellent idea, the only sad thing is the intentional omission of Pop and Zooropa stuff during most of the tour :(

talk bad about it all you want. the 4 Elevation Tour shows i saw were probably the best U2 shows i've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom