4-5-6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 is the filler. Songs 1-3 are strong, then 5 is perhaps the highlight. You can't go so many straight songs that are too nice. You can't frontload the album. You need a filler somewhere and that is LAPOE.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
4 is the filler. Songs 1-3 are strong, then 5 is perhaps the highlight. You can't go so many straight songs that are too nice. You can't frontload the album. You need a filler somewhere and that is LAPOE.

Cheers,

J

there are no fillers in this record. it's the highlight of a 4 year effort to make one their best work, not even one step closer or yahweh could be fillers, because even though I like them a bit less than the rest, half of this forum treats them as masterpieces, that's enough for me!

i love 4-5-6, i have to admit i like 6 the best, since it's what has survived from the mad edge - hard rocking album!

Last edited:
I agree, there are no fillers among these songs. A filler would have been Mercy or AYGWF. Each song is different, and is complete in its own right. You can tell U2 as a band had some ideas to get off their chest, and thankfully they went out on some limbs.

The last thing you'd want is to hear a redo of something they recorded 15-20 years ago like a lot of other artists have to so they can promote their latest.

4 through 9 are my favorite stretch of the album. I like Miracle Drug, Sometimes You Can't and Original. But to be honest, those three tracks feels like a different album from Vertigo, Love and Peace, All Because of You, City of Blinding Lights, Man and a Woman, Crumbs from Your Table, One Step Closer and Yahweh.

They Miracle, Sometimes and Orignal feel to honest and sincere, compared to the rest of the album. I think How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb would sound like four men crashing a 747 into All that You Can't Leave Behind, the way that Achtung Baby chopped down the Joshua Tree... save those three tracks.

Again, I love those three tracks and they've been in my head on and off all week. But they feel like they belong with Mercy--another fantastic track--on a different album. Replacing those three tracks with something of equal quality but in a different tone would, in my mind, make How To Dismantle as great if not greater than Achtung or Joshua Tree. Those two albums have such schematic and sonic unity, even though each song is unique and adds a different thought.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom