34 years ago today.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maoilbheannacht

Refugee
......Paul Hewson, David Evans, Adam Clayton, Dick Evans, Ivan McCormick, and Peter Martin met at Larry Mullens parents house in Artane, a suburb north of Dublin city center. It was Saturday, September 25, 1976 when they met. Today its Saturday, September 25, 2010, exactly 34 years later and the same day of the week.

Here are a few comments the members of U2 made about that day from U2 BY U2:

ADAM: I remember meeting David and Dick with their yellow guitar. It was interesting; neither of them really wanted to give it up, it was like they had it between them. I remember Larry's mum and dad and sister Cecilia were there, and his drum kit was set up in the kitchen. I didn't know whether it was Larry or his parents who were auditioning us.

LARRY: We set up in the kitchen, the fireplace had been removed during renovations. This gave us some extra space. We folded the kitchen table down piled the chairs on top and pushed it against the wall; I could just about fit the drums into a corner. Everybody else squeezed in around me, about seven people. There was very little playing, just an awful lot of tuning up. I think we may have attempted to play one song that nobody knew. It was basically a jam that went on all afternoon.

EDGE: Myself and my brother showed up, and Adam was there and then Paul arrived and a couple of others. We brought along the yellow Flying V guitar Dick made in the garden shed. It was a very rough and ready piece of gear altogether but it made a noise and that was the main thing.

BONO: Larry seemed very young but he had some excitement going, even then, because in the middle of rehearsals there was screaming outside and girls trying to climb over the garden wall. And I remember him doing a rather novel thing - he took the hose to them! Which he has been doing ever since. You know, he was like: 'Go away, we've got some real stuff to do!'

Wow, that's pretty cool.
I always knew it was 1976, but I never knew the exact day.
Interesting, Sept. 24, 2009 was my second U2 concert that I ever attended. I will never forget that day, one year and one day later.

:)

The boys drank champagne to celebrate it on stage the 23rd. :) 'T was a great night. Congrats boys, to another 34 years of brilliant music!

I knew this, i celebrated it yesterday with a U2 concert marathon :D
These are the ones i watched
Popmart
ZooTv
Rattle and Hum
Elevation tour concerts
How to dismantle concerts
Slane Castle
Under a blood red sky at red rocks
Joshua tree live in paris.

And no i did not leave the house yesterday..:D

I remember my band's first practice. It was nearly 20 years to the day after U2's first (9/28/96). We were also 14-15. There was nothing more exciting than getting together for the first time and trying to play a song. At that point, we assumed we would also go as far as U2 had. U2 couldn't play at first either, we figured. We eventually started writing our own songs, because we weren't good enough to play covers. I know how hard it is to keep a band together. Egos collide, people get discouraged and quit, replacements don't fit in as well, bassist got his girlfriend pregnant and had to get a 3rd shift factory job at 18, our first drummer joined the marines, 2nd drummer left the state to go to college, etc...

My point is that with U2 it took just the right combination of talent, lack of talent (which I think is very important to their career), personalities, permissive parents and personal commitment from each member each step of the way. It took a great effort to get the band out of Edge's garden shed and into shitty local clubs, and every step along the way until right now on the 360 tour required the same amount of commitment to the band and to each other. Of course money helps, but it's still not the core of what U2's about. What other band has the same lineup 34 years later?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom