2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Germans deserved to win the championship. They were the best team throughout thr tournament.

At the same time, that was an obscene non-called penalty on Neuer against Higuain. According to the rules, it does not matter if you get to the ball first, if you do with unnecessary violence, then it is a foul, in this case a penalty kick.

And, yes, I still cannot believe how Higuain, Palacio and Messi missed those chances.

P.S. The Brazilian crowd was pathetic. Go cheer on the Germans after being raped 7-1. They should have locked themselves in shame. How easy it is to hate the Brazilians after this...

Looked back on the replays. A jump isn't unnecessary violence, he clearly aimed for the ball. It was a very unlucky collision, just like two players jumping for the ball and butting heads. Sucks for Higuain but this was not a penalty.

I'm not sure I understand why your'e calling the Brazilian crowd pathetic, because they supported the Germans after their team got owned by them? How is that pathetic? They simply respect how well the Germans played, and fucking hate Argentina besides that, so if anything, it's respectable that they are big enough to not hate Germany for ruining their WC dream.

At the same time, that was an obscene non-called penalty on Neuer against Higuain. According to the rules, it does not matter if you get to the ball first, if you do with unnecessary violence, then it is a foul, in this case a penalty kick.

Better check the rules again. If the goalkeeper gets to the ball first in the box, it's not a foul. Basic rule of football. The collision was brutal, but ultimately it was an accident. There is a clear consensus for this among the experts.

I know the rules and they are clear. Getting to the ball first, but with violence and recklessness, is a foul and, in this case a penalty. Go google what Horacio Elizondo thinks about it - he ref'd the 2006 final so he knows his stuff.

Neuer was completely reckless and he should have been penalized.

And dont get me started on why a UEFA ref was chosen in a final where a UEFA team was playing...

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I know the rules and they are clear. Getting to the ball first, but with violence and recklessness, is a foul and, in this case a penalty. Go google what Horacio Elizondo thinks about it - he ref'd the 2006 final so he knows his stuff.

Neuer was completely reckless and he should have been penalized.

And dont get me started on why a UEFA ref was chosen in a final where a UEFA team was playing...

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

So it's a UEFA conspiracy theory now.

It's not a penalty. The rules clearly state - if the player lunges at the opponent who has the ball in his possession, it's a clear foul. Higuain didn't have the possession. Neuer was clearly going after the ball. One referee can have an opinion among dozens of others who said the opposite. The fact that Elizondo is an Argentinian referee tells me he's a little bit biased. And there were other Argentinian referees who were a bit more objective, stating there was no penalty. There wasn't any "violence and recklessness" when he threw the ball out. The collision, which was admittedly reckless, happened after the ball was out of the box. The fact that there's barely any heat about it, except in certain Argentinian media circles immediately after the fact, is also very telling.

Go google what Horacio Elizondo thinks about it - he ref'd the 2006 final so he knows his stuff.

:lol:Hahaha. BRILLIANT!:lol: Yes, go and ask an ARGENTINAN referee on his opinion about a situation with an Argentinian player involved....brilliant idea.:applaud::applaud:

I suggest you drop by your local grocery store. They might still have some sour grapes left!

:lol:Hahaha. BRILLIANT!:lol: Yes, go and ask an ARGENTINAN referee on his opinion about a situation with an Argentinian player involved....brilliant idea.:applaud::applaud:

I suggest you drop by your local grocery store. They might still have some sour grapes left!

Go ahead - make unnecessary fun of a world renowned ref. I also checked and several other international refs agree with Elizondo. And by the way, it is Argentine, not Argentinian.

On the UEFA point, it is not good to have a ref of one of the associations that are playing the final. You had several other options to choose from, why the need to go with Rizzoli?

In any event, I will say this again, the German deserved the cup. But this was a blatantly awful call.

P.S. Last but not least, I read today in the press that the German players mocked both the Argentine and the Brazilian players during the celebrations in Berlin. Even the German press found it obnoxious and disrespectful. Here is the link from Der Spiegel:

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussbal...annschaft-verhoehnt-argentinien-a-981132.html

Go ahead - make unnecessary fun of a world renowned ref. I also checked and several other international refs agree with Elizondo. And by the way, it is Argentine, not Argentinian.

On the UEFA point, it is not good to have a ref of one of the associations that are playing the final. You had several other options to choose from, why the need to go with Rizzoli?

In any event, I will say this again, the German deserved the cup. But this was a blatantly awful call.

P.S. Last but not least, I read today in the press that the German players mocked both the Argentine and the Brazilian players during the celebrations in Berlin. Even the German press found it obnoxious and disrespectful. Here is the link from Der Spiegel:

WM Party in Berlin: Nationalmannschaft verhöhnt Argentinien - SPIEGEL ONLINE

It was an excellent call, and it was the correct call.

Rizzoli got it right.

I know many Italians, and they were rooting for Argentina because:

1. There are many Argentinians of Italian descent.
2. Italians didn't want Germany reaching the same # of WC wins.
3. Italians historically hate Germany when it comes to Soccer.

This "don't pick a ref form the same confederation" is absolute nonsense.

Are you saying if it was a Brazilian Ref he'd send calls Argentina's way because they were from the same confederation ? Absolute bollocks.

The best refs are from Europe and South America, they went with the best based on performance in the tournament.

The other Confederations' refs usually don't get a look in because they are simply not as good, they don't deal with games played at the same speed week in week out.

Let me tell you something else about Rizzoli.

He ref'd Argentina THREE times out of the four matches he ref'd in the whole tournament. If you were Rizzoli, wouldn't you make sure that any close calls DID NOT go in Argentina's favor given that you could be accused of being handpicked to favor them?

And I don't agree - I would have preferred to have a non-UEFA, non-Conmebol Ref to guarantee more impartiality. In any event, the level of refereeing during the whole World Cup was pretty poor.

Soooo, it's okay for an Argentinian ref to make a statement that everybody else disagrees with, because he's an internationally renowned ref. But it's not okay for an internationally renowned Italian ref to whistle a match involving the one European country the Italians would love to see lose?

Quite some solid logic there...

And no matter how much you'd like to twist it, if two players go for the ball and collide, still doesn't make it a foul... unless one of them was deliberately going for the other, yet that's clearly not the case as both had their eyes on the ball.

Soooo, it's okay for an Argentinian ref to make a statement that everybody else disagrees with, because he's an internationally renowned ref. But it's not okay for an internationally renowned Italian ref to whistle a match involving the one European country the Italians would love to see lose?

Quite some solid logic there...

And no matter how much you'd like to twist it, if two players go for the ball and collide, still doesn't make it a foul... unless one of them was deliberately going for the other, yet that's clearly not the case as both had their eyes on the ball.

Fifa rule #12: LAW 12 - FOULS AND MISCONDUCT - FIFA.com

LAW 12 - FOULS AND MISCONDUCT

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

•kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
•trips or attempts to trip an opponent
•jumps at an opponent
•charges an opponent
•strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
•pushes an opponent
•tackles an opponent

Rule #12 does not say a word about going for the ball. But it does mention careless, reckless or using excessive force, which is exactly what Neuer did. So, if I follow your logic, Neuer could have broken Higuain's jaw and it would not have been a foul???

Sorry honey, but that doesn't apply to goalkeepers. They are allowed to jump. And that's all he did. He wasn't careless, reckless or using excessive force. He simply jumped, punched the ball away and his knee collided with the player's head. That's all.

Sorry honey, but that doesn't apply to goalkeepers. They are allowed to jump. And that's all he did. He wasn't careless, reckless or using excessive force. He simply jumped, punched the ball away and his knee collided with the player's head. That's all.

Baby, the rule does not make any sort of exception for goalkeepers. It simply talks about players, and the goalkeeper is indeed a player, isn't it?

And I ask you again the same question, if Neuer would have jumped and broken Higuain's jaw, that would not have been a foul?

For sure what? If you plan to take my words out of context, I do not have much to comment.
I'm not sure there's a context in which comparing a team losing a World Cup semifinal match to someone being raped is going to make it alright, but dazzle me if you insist.

I thought that we could argue different points of view in this forum. :down:

Of course we can but when you are complaining that the entire game should have gone the other way and claim a UEFA conspiracy (did UEFA make Higuain miss the gimme he was given, or put him offside?) then you sound like a sore loser. You're allowed to think the call was wrong but please don't blame the refs, that's the sure sign of sour grapes in any sport. The ref is not making saves or kicking the ball.

Hi Leif :wave:

Congrats :wink:

Does all of Berlin have a day off today? The live tickers on several German media sites are hilarious. Have a great day today. :up:

Thanks!

No, but I'm sure the number of people calling in sick today was above average.
When I left the S-Bahn train I saw the plane flying over Berlin, very deep flight. Normally, the air above Berlin is closed to all planes and I thought it was good that the plans of our former Minister of Defence to allow the military to shoot down suspicious airliners never got anywhere.
Later, the bus went by our work which was accompanied with the sounds of helicopters circling and honking cars. Most people had the ARD live stream on while working.
400,000 people were reported to have come and the fan mile was closed by 8.30am. I wouldn't have gone there, though. The music acts were terrible as usual and you'd end up so far back that you only see it on screens anyway.

It was an excellent call, and it was the correct call.

Rizzoli got it right.

I know many Italians, and they were rooting for Argentina because:

1. There are many Argentinians of Italian descent.
2. Italians didn't want Germany reaching the same # of WC wins.
3. Italians historically hate Germany when it comes to Soccer.

This "don't pick a ref form the same confederation" is absolute nonsense.

Are you saying if it was a Brazilian Ref he'd send calls Argentina's way because they were from the same confederation ? Absolute bollocks.

The best refs are from Europe and South America, they went with the best based on performance in the tournament.

The other Confederations' refs usually don't get a look in because they are simply not as good, they don't deal with games played at the same speed week in week out.

In the first half, when he gave two yellows in a row to Germans and had some calls which could be deemed a little nitpicking, I joked "We never won an important match against the Italians."

Neuer's save was hard, but in the end football is not basketball. As I said before, the game was a fight. Both sides fought for it. This inevitably results in some unpleasant moments. Kramer conceded a concussion. Also without resulting in anything. And I agree, were Neuer's collision with Higuain such a blatant missed call the news would be full with it.

I don't think it is fair to accuse any world class referee of favoring one side simply because he comes from the same continent.

In the first half, when he gave two yellows in a row to Germans and had some calls which could be deemed a little nitpicking, I joked "We never won an important match against the Italians."

Neuer's safe was hard, but in the end football is not basketball. As I said before, the game was a fight..

*save

:sexywink:

Eh got no real issue with Neuer's save. Goalkeepers are entitled to jump for the ball. If you read the rules it is only if the referee 'considers' such an act reckless or careless. Neuer jumped for the ball as any goalkeeper has a right to do, hence why the ref didn't award a penalty or send Neuer off. Goalkeepers are always jumping for the ball and crashing into other players. Same risk as two players jumping up for headers and a clash of heads follows is not generally considered reckless. Should have been a throw in to Argentina though.

I meant the one in his hotel room, of course.

They could tour Germany, all four corners at the same time.

The next major outing will now be the Euro 2016 (and before that the qualifier of course). It will be interesting to see the developments within the countries. Belgium, Netherlands and France have a great potential. Most of the key German players will probably still be in that tournament. Italy and England have a lot of work to do. Portugal will probably still rely on Ronaldo way too much. And the big question left, of course, is what will happen to Spain.
Poland and Sweden should also be interesting to look out for.

Why is this even debatable? Neuer went for and had eyes only for the ball. That an Argentinian player was in his way was purely circumstantial. Outrageous to suggest otherwise. Football is a contact sport.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

Spain just I think need to freshen themselves up. They have loads of players that didn't go or didn't get much game time. It was an over reliance on the old guard that really failed them. Too many players coming off a poor season or injury. They need to relearn how to use a striker as well.

Belgium disappointed me (especially Hazard), has Wilmots resigned? As a journalist mentioned they were like a mediocre German side.

The Dutch should be a bit worried, Van Persie will be nearing 33 by Euro 16, Robben the same, lack of good players coming through.

France looked good in patches, just depends how they develop. I think Euro 16 will be for Germany to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom