2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gump

ONE love, blood, life
The countdown officially starts today with the beginning of the Confederations Cup. Looking forward to seeing how the young Brazilian squad performs.

Other big questions for the Confederations Cup:
- Is Spain still the powerhouse of the past few years?
- Is Mexico improving at all from their poor play in the qualifiers?
- Can Tahiti score a goal?

The countdown officially starts today with the beginning of the Confederations Cup. Looking forward to seeing how the young Brazilian squad performs.

Other big questions for the Confederations Cup:
- Is Spain still the powerhouse of the past few years?
- Is Mexico improving at all from their poor play in the qualifiers?
- Can Tahiti score a goal?

Yes.
No.
No.

Good start for Brazil. Beautiful goal by Neymar.

[youtube]iRmrfSiMi8M[/youtube]

Under appreciated sporting tournament a worthy concept. Quite surprised that Brazil so clinically overcame Japan, who themselves are one of the best ten nations in the world at the moment (and already qualified for the World Cup). Ominous signs.

Nice goal by Neymar. Confederations Cup doesn't interest me at all TBH.

I didn't see the match but that Brazil squad doesn't look all that strong on paper. Germany all the way. Don't see anyone who could beat them if they're at their best.

And hopefully Belgium has a good run. We have to make it first but it's looking good. We finally have another good team.

We just qualified. 1-0 win over Iraq. So that's cool. I like the World Cup a whole lot. Have very fond memories of watching Senegal in 2002, Kewell scoring the equaliser against Croatia in 2006, the 2010 final. (I was in the States at the time, and I recall noticing a distinct drop off in interest when the US was kicked out.)

But I will still never full respect this sport while diving goes on. It's an absolute disgrace. So ugly and pathetic to watch.

And yes, I'm still dirty about our loss to Italy in 2006.

The Riewoldts and Lloyd were divers - as was Zephaniah Skinner (good riddance to that hack)

Anyway, qualifying for a World Cup is the ultimate, better than any World Cup rugby or cricket win, any gold medal at an Olympics. Gonna be a pleasure to watch Australia in Brazil 2014, hoping to get along myself!

So yeah. One of these days Spain is going to have to find a few defenders who can actually kind of play defense.

Interested to see if Belgium can keep it going, I'll pick them for the final 4 most likely. I really would like to see a new team win, or even a non-UEFA/CONMEBOL team make the final.

And with the future World Cups in Evil Putin's Russia in 2018 and Alcohol/Women/Gay/Freedom hating Qatar in 2022 (and possibly during Winter?!?) I'm way more excited for the following Women's World Cups in 2019/2023. Plus, 1999 was my big intro to watching Soccer on TV, so i'm partial to it anyway.

Can't rule out Japan either - they have really come far in recent years and are clearly Asia's best team at the moment.

Russia 2018 and Qatar 2$22 are horrid prospects. At least Russia is a proper football nation, but the reason anti-homosexual sentiment is shameful.

Interested to see if Belgium can keep it going, I'll pick them for the final 4 most likely. I really would like to see a new team win, or even a non-UEFA/CONMEBOL team make the final.

And with the future World Cups in Evil Putin's Russia in 2018 and Alcohol/Women/Gay/Freedom hating Qatar in 2022 (and possibly during Winter?!?) I'm way more excited for the following Women's World Cups in 2019/2023. Plus, 1999 was my big intro to watching Soccer on TV, so i'm partial to it anyway.

The 2015 Women's World Cup is taking place in my country of Canada. I am stocked to see the Semi and Final in Vancouver- right in my hometown! Go Canada-True North Strong And Free.....

Blatter: FIFA set to move 2022 WCup from summer - - SI.com

So they'll be competing (well not directly, it wont be in Jan/Feb because of it, but even still, there's a lot going on) with 2022 Winter Olympics (likely to be held in western Europe after being in Canada 2010, Russia this year and South Korea in 2018. USA isn't bidding.) Plus it'll be during all the European Leagues, unless they decide to take a month break, which they don't seem to want to do.

Oh and wont qualifiers for the Euro be taking place then?

Aside from the artificial turf, it should be a great tourney in Canada. Perfect time for the increase to 24 teams as well. They made a great logo by the way.

I wonder what they'll do about alcohol in Qatar. Beer only in stadiums, or designated "drinking areas"? I'm sure the Irish fans will love that if they qualify.

Nearly choked on my corn flakes when I saw this;

Dyke sets England World Cup target

FA chairman Greg Dyke says the England team should aim to reach the semi-final of Euro 2020 and win the World Cup in 2022.

Jesus Christ! this man is allowed to walk the streets in this country without carers either side of him, I've got more chance of Megan Fox asking me for a date than Ingerland winning the World Cup ever!!!!! If you see this man do not approach him, and avoid eye contact at all costs!

On a lighter note England and Arsenal winger Theo Walcott, 23, has likened Manchester United striker Dwayne Looney's head injury to "something out of a horror film," adding, "his scar looks pretty nasty too!!!!!"

Belgian team is still amazing me, they have the best team in Belgian history now for sure. I think they are going to be the surprise of the WC this time.
I also love how the football fever is finally going mad in my neighbour country.

Cheering for Oranje/The NL and the Belgian RD:D

Mexico are still a likely qualifier, can still finish third and if fourth will play NZ in a playoff But would love to see Mexico miss in favour of Panama.

Drama in the big match between Uzbekistan and Jordan. Jordan winning 9-8 on penalties with the floodlights going out during extra time. Good luck to them against 5th-placed CONMEBOL - they'll need it.

Wish Bosnia-Herzagovina could hurry up and secure qualification.

Landon Donovan & Beasley will become the first USA men to play in four world cups.

I bet if he wanted to and stayed in shape, Donovan could join Kristine Lilly and make it to 5.

us-flag_waving.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom