2014 FIFA World Cup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's rather commendable that the French aren't losing their shit.

Messi time! Looking forward to this match, Bosnia have plenty of good players as well and a pretty attack minded squad.

That's much better from Argentina...the 5-3-2 was not working at all. Still feeling sorry for Bosnia though, being their first World Cup to go behind to that og so early must have been heartbreaking.

I haven't been able to see the match, was it any good, other than an obligatory win for argentina? :) I will watch the highlights sometime tonight or tomorrow when I can.

Was following GER-POR on the intarwebs at work, and was delighted to see Pepe pick up the red card.

Saw the highlights, and was disappointed. I expected at the very least to see him biting someone.

This is huge for us (USA), since Pepe and likely Coentrao are gone for the next match. Need to take care of business against Ghana obviously though.

Ghana is dominating. Only thing keeping it 1-0 is some sky high shots and a few great saves from Howard. But how long can that last?

And now that Altidore is gone, I think any advantage of Pepe being suspended for Portugal goes out the window. And losing Besler? Ronaldo may have a field day. Seems like his wasn't too bad and could be back Sunday.

Someone updated Brooks' Wikipedia entry:

BqSpcugIEAA_Xqq.jpg:large

Just a wonder is it a strange experience for Americans to be seen as the underdogs in an international sport?

Another wonder, how goes efforts to get more of the increasing Hispanic population wanting to play for the US rather than elsewhere? I imagine that is the veritable gold mine, that would greatly improve the team.

Anyway good result, but the injuries you got tonight might not stand you in the best stead against Germany and Portugal (though they came out with quite a few injury concerns as well).

We are quite used to it in football, thanks.

Obviously :p just thinking football doesn't seem to fit readily into your sporting culture. Ireland for instance, we kinda revel in our underdog status as much as England seem to enjoy building their team up then knocking it down again.

For being probably the biggest sport in the world, interest in it from 3 of the most populous countries in the world is weirdly low. India loves cricket, China likes to watch but not participate and the US loves its own national sports.

Obviously :p just thinking football doesn't seem to fit readily into your sporting culture. Ireland for instance, we kinda revel in our underdog status as much as England seem to enjoy building their team up then knocking it down again.

For being probably the biggest sport in the world, interest in it from 3 of the most populous countries in the world is weirdly low. India loves cricket, China likes to watch but not participate and the US loves its own national sports.

It's nowhere close to having the following of the four major professional sports here, but interest in our national league has definitely grown in recent years.

I think Seattle now averages about 45,000 fans per home match.

It's certainly grown considerably with the younger generations... Say 35-40 years old and younger.

Every bar and pub in New York City was jam packed for today's game. Streets were temporarily shut down in Manhattan as crowds spilled out of the bars after the game ended.

As crazy as a European or South American city after a game? No... but the sport is a hell of a lot bigger here than the impression given off by a lot of our cranky old sports reporters make it seem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

And it's only getting bigger now that Premier League games are being regularly broadcast in the US. Having a quality league to watch in between World Cups will help make a dent, as the MLS has never been relevant.

Huge result for USA, though obviously we need to be 10x better in order to take a point off of the Fighting Ronaldos next time out. Bradley was a trainwreck (first bad game I've ever seen him play), Beasley tried hard but got exploited on the left repeatedly, and the forwards decided to just hang out up top all game instead of coming back to receive the ball and relieve the pressure on our midfield. Don't know why Ghana spent the first 70 minutes repeatedly trying to serve up aerial balls instead of penetrating on the ground.

MOTM for me was Geoff Cameron. Without him it could easily have been 3-1 or worse to Ghana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom