2011: When to expect a single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam3000

Acrobat
So at the end of 2010 there was a lot of talk (by U2) of a new album in 2011. Now that 2011 is here, what's the time table for rumor, press release, radio leak, and final release of a single/album?

Right now there's no news, so is March even possible? May?

So at the end of 2010 there was a lot of talk (by U2) of a new album in 2011. Now that 2011 is here, what's the time table for rumor, press release, radio leak, and final release of a single/album?

Right now there's no news, so is March even possible? May?

There is no strict timetable per se. Like you said, there hasn't been any news, so it would be next to impossible to predict the exact timeline for when to expect a single. We just can't do it. There are too many variables. So, we're basically playing the waiting game here. We are but lonely fishermen, adrift at sea, our lines cast in the blue. Waiting, hoping, praying. For a nibble. A bite of news. It's all we can do.

We can speculate, sure, but we can't truly know or expect anything until it's announced. So, let's speculate.

It's not likely but, theoretically, U2 could make a surprising move and announce an album on short notice. Or make the album available online in some way that goes against their standard album release practices. Again, not likely, but we really can't rule it out.

But one potential timetable that makes sense is for an album to be released in May to coincide with the start of the new North American leg of the 360 Tour. Which would mean, traditionally, that a single would appear sometime in March or April. So there is still time.

It has been posited, though, that for this "Album in May" timetable to work, we should expect to hear some legitimate concrete news very soon. As in, within the next few weeks.

People seem to be getting anxious, because it could be seen that this is almost a "now or never" (or at least, "now or 2013/14") thing for the band. The 360 Tour is inching toward the finish line. And it would be strange for them to release an album (especially one with a new, hip, respected producer like Danger Mouse) after the conclusion of a huge tour. So, some are thinking, either this thing is released in May, or it's going to be a long wait.

Who knows? We sure don't.

Let's just put a worm on the hook, and wait. I'll buy the beer.

Based on the last leg U2 seems open to a "stealth approach". I think U2 enjoyed playing new songs and surprising their fans.

With that in mind and the backlash to NLOTH (promotion) I still think they'll release something under the radar. If not I find it a missed opportunity for U2 to do something fresh for a change and a new leg starting in May.

New song released with no hype in March, just before the SA leg :)

There is no strict timetable per se. Like you said, there hasn't been any news, so it would be next to impossible to predict the exact timeline for when to expect a single. We just can't do it. There are too many variables. So, we're basically playing the waiting game here. We are but lonely fishermen, adrift at sea, our lines cast in the blue. Waiting, hoping, praying. For a nibble. A bite of news. It's all we can do.

We can speculate, sure, but we can't truly know or expect anything until it's announced. So, let's speculate.

It's not likely but, theoretically, U2 could make a surprising move and announce an album on short notice. Or make the album available online in some way that goes against their standard album release practices. Again, not likely, but we really can't rule it out.

But one potential timetable that makes sense is for an album to be released in May to coincide with the start of the new North American leg of the 360 Tour. Which would mean, traditionally, that a single would appear sometime in March or April. So there is still time.

It has been posited, though, that for this "Album in May" timetable to work, we should expect to hear some legitimate concrete news very soon. As in, within the next few weeks.

People seem to be getting anxious, because it could be seen that this is almost a "now or never" (or at least, "now or 2013/14") thing for the band. The 360 Tour is inching toward the finish line. And it would be strange for them to release an album (especially one with a new, hip, respected producer like Danger Mouse) after the conclusion of a huge tour. So, some are thinking, either this thing is released in May, or it's going to be a long wait.

Who knows? We sure don't.

Let's just put a worm on the hook, and wait. I'll buy the beer.

:up:
But just because you're a Bulls fan like I am. :wink:

I was going to post a link to the other thread in response, but I just couldn't bring myself to do that to the poor guy.

im thinking about starting a thread asking about what time is a good time to head for the door.

What door?

You know, the one that leads you on your way....youve seen my previous threads and you know me by now...

"ASSHOLE NEIGHBOR STILL HAS CHRISTMAS LIGHTS"

or

"TAKE DOWN YOUR CHRISTMAS LIGHTS, ASSHOLE"

It starts out something like this; im driving home early one morning from the gentlemans club (nudie bar), drunk as hell, boobs still fresh on my mind. As i turn up my street through double vision what do i see? None other than our very own version of Clark W. Griswolds' 'christmas vacation'! Asshole neighbor has lit up his entire fucking house (and the entire fucking block) with LED lights, from the sidewalk to the rooftop, and its so bright i could light a cigarette off of it. If i wasnt so damn drunk i would go to his house and kick the door in.....

Instead i think i will hang out in the RV outside and have a couple of "cold ones" with cousin Eddie...

im thinking about starting a thread asking about what time is a good time to head for the door.

What door?

You know, the one that leads you on your way....youve seen my previous threads and you know me by now...

or

It starts out something like this; im driving home early one morning from the gentlemans club (nudie bar), drunk as hell, boobs still fresh on my mind. As i turn up my street through double vision what do i see? None other than our very own version of Clark W. Griswolds' 'christmas vacation'! Asshole neighbor has lit up his entire fucking house (and the entire fucking block) with LED lights, from the sidewalk to the rooftop, and its so bright i could light a cigarette off of it. If i wasnt so damn drunk i would go to his house and kick the door in.....

Instead i think i will hang out in the RV outside and have a couple of "cold ones" with cousin Eddie...
...I've got nothin'. :huh:

What door?

or

:up:

I think we'll hear something one way or the other by this time next month. The band likes to go into quiet mode between tour legs, and then tease us with new album / single info at the beginning of each new one.

I honestly wouldn't expect to hear anything until just about Valentine's Day. But if something is coming out, it'll be out in time for the North American tour. That's just how the music business, and the U2 business work.

Can any old school fans here remember how far ahead of its July 5 release date Zooropa was announced? I remember it wasn't very long.

my guess would be late March.

I don't know if any of the "new" material would be first single worthy....

EBW? NS? Mercy?

maybe fullband NS

Can any old school fans here remember how far ahead of its July 5 release date Zooropa was announced? I remember it wasn't very long.

I wasn't that old but was on a school trip in London the last week of June 93 and we were in a big Virgin record store. I remember hearing Zooropa for the first time there....actually I stayed there 40 min and heard the whole album thinking U2 went too far this time..... so, yeah, album was probably announced like 2-3 weeks before it came out, no more.

my guess would be late March.

I don't know if any of the "new" material would be first single worthy....

EBW? NS? Mercy?

maybe fullband NS

I could imagine mercy being a good lead single, it's quite catchy and is recognisably u2. If a full band version of EBW is really a swelling pop soul song like Bono said, then it might do quite well as a single. North star to me is a bit too 'mopey' for a lead single - it's not exactly a stadium rocker... but maybe a DM version would be completely different?
That being said, i'm in two minds as to whether these songs will be on the album at all...

I was thinking the other day that if U2 want a successful radio hit again, then they need an optimistic and/or upbeat song. That's what a lot of their popular singles from the past have had in common. I'm thinking of "Beautiful Day," "Mysterious Ways," "Streets," and "Vertigo." "Boots" was a little tense and talked about Satan and things blowing up, so it doesn't fit the description of an optimistic song.

Anyway, it would be great if they started playing the next single in South Africa this month and then officially release it in March. That would stir up hype pretty well.

I don't think Mercy could be a lead single at all, after so many years in the web and everybody having had it for so long, it would sound as a bad joke, in fact I don't think Mercy or Glastonbury will be in the album, Every Breaking Wave and North Star have more possibilities if their full band forms are sufficiently different from the ones we have already heard, if not, they will possibly be B-sides of the singles, which I consider is the most likely.

I don't think Mercy could be a lead single at all, after so many years in the web and everybody having had it for so long, it would sound as a bad joke, in fact I don't think Mercy or Glastonbury will be in the album, Every Breaking Wave and North Star have more possibilities if their full band forms are sufficiently different from the ones we have already heard, if not, they will possibly be B-sides of the singles, which I consider is the most likely.

I think you're probably right, the lead single will likely be something we haven't heard before.
Rachel D, i think it might actually be likely that we'll hear the single live in south america - the timing does seem to line up! :hmm:

Just so long as these songs are released properly in a studio form I will be thrilled....album bound or not. I would actually love if some of these songs were b-sides, then we would have more material we haven't heard.

Back
Top Bottom