2010 remasters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
I bet they'll save Achtung for the 20th aniversary in 2011... So what's on tap for next year?

Boy/Oct/War/UABRS limited rerelease style treatment for R&H, Zooropa and Pop?

Or do you think Pop's going to get the full treatment?

It'll also be the tenth anniversary of ATYCLB, maybe that'll get the big box? Though I doubt it... but maybe.

Rattle and Hum ? They seem to be going with the 80s albums first, and that is the last one remaining...

I'm pretty torn on R&H and what I'd predict they do. On one hand, there's certainly enough material for the full treatment, alot of b-sides, a lot of potentially unreleased live recordings, easily a Lovetown DVD, etc.

But it seems like they're saving the big boxes for their landmark stuff, and while it was hugely popular, I don't think it was any more so than War (at least looking back historically; though it was at the time) and War didn't get the full on deal. So I kind of doubt R&H would. I'm thinking we'll see a package similar the first three albums.

From R&H on, each album has a corresponding live show on DVD (well, with AB and Zooropa combined in the Sydney show) so it'll be interesting to see if they release another full show again like they did on the JT remaster.

But it seems like they're saving the big boxes for their landmark stuff, and while it was hugely popular, I don't think it was any more so than War (at least looking back historically; though it was at the time) and War didn't get the full on deal. So I kind of doubt R&H would. I'm thinking we'll see a package similar the first three albums.

I don't think the others got a big box treatment because there just wasn't that much to work with...

R&H they have a lot to work with, I think we'll see the full treatment.

^ I certainly hope so. But my enthusiasm for a Lovetown DVD is greatly decreased with their failure to include a UF tour DVD.

i'd like to see a bunch of Rattle And Hum The Film outtakes. Like Adam falling down drunk. And Adam high as a kite talking gibberish. And Adam bragging about all the women he's having. Haha

^ I certainly hope so. But my enthusiasm for a Lovetown DVD is greatly decreased with their failure to include a UF tour DVD.

I really think it comes down to if they have the distribution rights or not... I think the UF concerts everyone was hoping for were filmed by a TV station at the time, correct? Wasn't Lovetown filmed by the band?

Agreed. I love the TUF release, but really disappointed in the DVD.

I really think it comes down to if they have the distribution rights or not... I think the UF concerts everyone was hoping for were filmed by a TV station at the time, correct? Wasn't Lovetown filmed by the band?

would it matter, I wonder? I thought U2 had the rights to everything in regards to themselves. I'm trying to remember the fight over the Under A Blood Red Sky footage, but U2 obviously won that.

So I'd think with regards to the earlier albums not having enough material, I'm thinking of that Werchter show broadcast on german (or Dutch?) TV what some of the UBARS recordings came from and if that wasn't included, then why include Lovetown on a R&H release?

Other than the obvious reason, why not?

I expect R&H will get the full treatment JT and UF got. They'll include the movie, the album, and they could easily fill an extra disc with B-sides, movie live tracks that weren't on CD before, and we know there is a lot of unfinished/unreleased material.

Maybe a DVD at The Point? :hyper:

Achtung will wait for 2011.

I'd only buy a Rattle and Hum remaster if a full Lovetown gig was on DVD with it. I'm not a fan of the album, but the tour was great.

I would love it if they included a 1992 Zoo DVD with Achtung... hopefully Stockholm (but Washington would also be good).

I'd love some unreleased tracks from the R&H era more than anything else on the remaster. You know, like a finished She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (which would more more sense here than Achtung Baby.) :wink: A full Lovetown show would be amazing too. :drool:

would it matter, I wonder?

Sure it would.

Like I said, I don't know the circumstances in regards to the UF concert that everyone was expecting, but if it the TV network had the rights instead of U2(I don't know if they were in control of those types of things back then); then 1) we don't know if they buy them back or if it would be worth it(not likely the case) or 2) we have no clue what kind of shape it's in. I've heard stories of bands trying to track down concerts like this from the 80's and finding out no one can find the archives, or they're damaged from heat, etc...

I think part of the reason BOctoWar had limited releases compared to UF and JT is the simple fact that they all came out together. U2 clearly didn't want to neglect them, but at the same time wanted to get them out of the way. People cried foul enough about the band being money-hungry when the remasters came out - imagine if it had been three 2CD+1DVD box sets! I guess they figured the demand just wasn't there. There IS material for DVDs, but a pretty limited market.

I don't think RAH's market is so limited, and if it's the only remaster coming out, it may have a shot at a DVD. U2 filmed the shows in Sydney on 17, 18, and 19 October 1989, so the content is there.

As for UF, even if they owned the rights to 21 November 1984 (the only known proshot gig of the era), they would have had to re-mix it. There's no way that U2 would want the DVD as it exists in bootleg circles to be the official release; they'd want to edit out all the cheesy eighties effects. But the effort to do that (and even if they have the show, do they have all the tapes from all the camera angles?) would hardly be worth it for a boxset's bonus DVD.

I don't see R&H getting the full treatment. I don't think it's considered to be important enough for that. What I see happening is a standard reissue like Boy/October/War and then an expanded edition of the movie with an additional disc of outtakes and stuff that would be released separately but coincide with the CD release.

I don't think RAH's market is so limited, and if it's the only remaster coming out, it may have a shot at a DVD. U2 filmed the shows in Sydney on 17, 18, and 19 October 1989, so the content is there.

But if they consider Lovetown just as an 'extention' to the JT tour, will they even bother with a DVD? I think not, personally.

If R&H is even considered for a deluxe dvd treatment, then there's certainly plenty of filmed material available for editing and inclusion. Obviously I'd love to see a full Lovetown concert included (yes, including covers and snippets), and I'd also love to have the Lovetown TV documentary in full quality - if possible, the version that includes Edge shredding out on Desire. I wouldn't be that fussed about the R&H film itself (which is a Paramount release and so may not be the band's possession to edit or expand?); but hopefully the band will take note of the fan community's affection for Lovetown and commemorate the tour properly on dvd. I'd be happy with any of the Australian concerts that were filmed, and was the full Dublin New Year's Eve show recorded? Obviously two songs were broadcast on TV but if the full concert exists, that would be a bit of a Holy Grail for me.

So, I dunno what they'll do for RAH, really depends on how far they go down the Lovetown route, but for Zooropa, I hope there's a chance for the Adelaide DVD. There's a few cheesy effects, but it's at least as good as Sydney in a lot of ways. Not least of all the best Dirty Day and great performances of Bullet, Lemon and MW.

Also, I want an official U2 product that says "Adelaide" on it.

I think Axver is probably correct on this one in that they could probably have gotten the Dortmund films but it might not have been worth it to them. The Lovetown footage is theirs though (well, the November Sydney stuff is; the September Sydney footage that circulates isn't I don't think).

I'd only buy a Rattle and Hum remaster if a full Lovetown gig was on DVD with it. I'm not a fan of the album, but the tour was great.

I would love it if they included a 1992 Zoo DVD with Achtung... hopefully Stockholm (but Washington would also be good).

I'd love it if we got something we don't already have...maybe one of the shows they used for the ZooTV TV special like Yankee Stadium, Houston, or Anaheim. Then we'd get the joy of hearing a bout of whining because they released another American show ;) I imagine we won't get a full '92 show, I'd guess that same TV special but I think they already released that (with the Sydney DVD maybe? I can't remember)

i hope U2 put out a deluxe box for Rattle and Hum simply because I think it deserves the full-on treatment. Having a Lovetown show on DVD would be amazing though I wouldn't MISS it if it wasn't on, I have to agree BVS's response to someone from a while back that went along the lines of "Why not every show on the [ZOO TV] tour and call the band crooks when they don't give it to you." :wink: people do seem to expect quite a lot from this band sometimes so I won't go MAD with my "wishlist"

The bonus CD might have some gems on it we may never have heard of. The live tracks used on the 'Excerpts from...' CD that didn't feature on the LP could turn up? She's A Mystery To Me would be fantastic. Even if we got just a handful of live tracks from Lovetown I'd be happy, let's hope they show that tour as much love as we do here :hmm:

I wonder if there's any chance outtakes from Rattle and Hum could turn up? Deleted songs/sequences? Would be quite cool
-

I wouldn't be surprised if Rattle And Hum comes out in the next half-year. However nice an idea it is to wait for the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby as well, I fucking HOPE TO GOD they don't put it off that late.

Back
Top Bottom