2005-2006 College Football (USA)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RedrocksU2 said:
usc-trojans-tickets.jpg

natalie2004.jpg

Hell yeah!

I'll second the Hell yeah... USC visited Penn State twice in the mid 1990s. let me tell you, Happy Valley was made into Happier Valley on those two occasions:wink:

Mr. BAW said:
Phew!!!!!!!!!!! 50-42 USC

Still #1...2 weeks off until UCLA..whose been off 3 weeks until next game with the Trojans.........

We're still #1.

It took 4 interceptions (two in the end-zone) to beat Fresno State.

Reggie Bush is just sick. 513 all purpose yards. If anyone want to know how to stop on a dime and change direction, this is the guy to ask.

Clark W. Griswold said:

I'll second the Hell yeah... USC visited Penn State twice in the mid 1990s. let me tell you, Happy Valley was made into Happier Valley on those two occasions:wink:
I think it was temporarily renamed "Happy Ending Valley".

That Fresno game was very entertaining. Especially that 50 run by Reggie, which was probably closer to 80 with the cutback. That was freaking brilliant. They showed it on the Visionboard like 5 times, including a blimp view.

If Reggie Bush does not win the Heisman it will be a travesty. He is the Most Outstanding Player in college football.

But, now it's my favorite time of the year. Yes, time to destroy the bruins. It's the Perfect Storm. Reggie Bush and LenDale White versus the 115 ranked bruin run defense. :drool:

Matt Leinart might not have to throw a pass. Now if we could get our Pass D back that would be great.

randhail said:
I can't wait for the USC bandwagon to explode in a fiery crash. :drool:

'SC certainly has it's bandwagon fans. But, so do all very successful teams, especially in LA. As for me, I've been a fan since my Freshman year in '95 and a season ticket holder since I graduated, including the worst year in the history of USC.

As for USC/Texas, I really have a good feeling about the matchup of Pete Carroll and Mack Brown. Just saying.

trojanchick99 said:

As for USC/Texas, I really have a good feeling about the matchup of Pete Carroll and Mack Brown. Just saying.

As a casual college football fan and an observer of the Pete Carroll era in New England, I wouldn't feel good about this coaching matchup on either side.

there's clearly something wrong with a sport where Pete Carroll can be considered a coaching genius. :wink:

Afterall, his motto with the Pats was "we're gonna go out there and have some fun and maybe we'll win!" I think Sully from South Boston would still kick old Petey in the nuts if given the chance.

speedracer said:

As a casual college football fan and an observer of the Pete Carroll era in New England, I wouldn't feel good about this coaching matchup on either side.

That's because you are a "casual" college fan. The guy can flat out coach college kids. It's a lot different than the pros. I've watched 'SC for a long time, and from the moment Coach Carroll stepped foot on the campus, you could tell things were going to change. The attitude just shifted.

Also, you cannot argue about his ability to scheme Defensively, even in the Pros.

USC has won 33 games in a row. I really do not know what else Pete Carroll needs to do to get some respect.

trojanchick99 said:

Also, you cannot argue about his ability to scheme Defensively, even in the Pros.

I'd argue that he's the Rick Pitino of the football world. Great college coach, but a completely inept pro coach...maybe it's because he couldn't handle us New Englanders. We have passion that scares him. Laid back latte land is much better suited for old Petey.

randhail said:
I can't wait for the USC bandwagon to explode in a fiery crash. :drool:

That'll definitely happen..........

in 2007.

And Mack Brown v.s. Pete Carroll? C'mon, Pete's got 2 count 'em TWO National Championships. Battered defense or not, the Fresno game was definitely not USC's brightest defensive game agreed, but it wasn't really indicative of the way the defense has played all year. One bad game does not a season break.

Uh, yeah, well, Tom Osborne won three national championships, and (in my opinion) deserved a fourth one in 1993 as well. He's a nice guy, his players played hard for him, but he's not exactly a football genius.

How hard can it be to win with guys like Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Mike Williams, etc.?

College football is about recruiting, first and foremost. SC would have been successful if they ran a wing-T and a 2-0-9 defense.

I can think of two college coaches in the last ~15 years who truly had superior strategic skills: Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. Every other successful coach won because they were playing with larger chip stacks.

Reggie Thee Dog said:

That'll definitely happen..........

in 2007.

They play Nebraska in Lincoln :up:
2006 they go out to the coast. It will be an interesting matchup.

At the beginning of this season, on a Husker message board, I said that my benchmark for Bill Calahan will be playing against USC in 2007, at home. I'm not saying it must be a win or else he should be fired, but I feel that it will be an appropriate amount of time for him to install his system, make sure he has good coaches, and get some decent recruits.

I think even BobDevany said "the most important thing a coach can do is recruit well", and I agree with him in that respect (I think I spelled his name right... but he was an NU coach in the 70s and such). Objectively speaking, since more regulations have been placed on recruiting, and with the NFL's image changing, NU simply didn't adapt. I'm not saying that "the option" is not a good offense to run, I'm just saying that, obviously, the team didn't do what it takes to remain at the front of the league.

what, specifically, they didn't do, though, is something I can't really say. I am quite a new fan to college football, as I've said in the past. still....

I am looking forward to USC v UN in the future. And as far as Texas and USC in the big game, well, I'll definitely be watching it. It should be a good game.

For Honor said:

I think even BobDevany said "the most important thing a coach can do is recruit well", and I agree with him in that respect (I think I spelled his name right... but he was an NU coach in the 70s and such). Objectively speaking, since more regulations have been placed on recruiting, and with the NFL's image changing, NU simply didn't adapt. I'm not saying that "the option" is not a good offense to run, I'm just saying that, obviously, the team didn't do what it takes to remain at the front of the league.

These days, you don't necessarily have time to implement a five-year plan, as Tyrone Willingham learned the hard way. He could have done well this year with Notre Dame, but his decision to run a west coast offense with Carlyle Holliday wasn't so hot -- he would have been much better advised to stick with an option and play-action attack that year.

Bill Callahan would have done well to stick with Nebraska's power running game last year and gradually phase in the new offense.

Last edited:
Couple of things:

I haven't watched Nebraska all year, but I was wondering if Callahan had altered his offense. I ask this, because if he continues to try to run the true WCO it won't work. That offense is too complicated to run effectively in college as it takes 4 years to master.

I still do not understand why they fire Solich to hire Callahan. I just don't understand.

USC Defense. Yes this year 'SC's D hasn't been as statistically dominant as in past years, but they still do one thing very well. They force Turnovers. Since Pete Carroll has been at 'SC here is where USC ranks in Turnover margin:

2005, USC is #1 in turnover margin.
2004. USC was #1 in turnover margin.
2003 USC was #2 in turnover margin.
2002 USC was #5 in turnover margin.
2001 USC was #5 in turnover margin.
2000 USC was 113 out of 114 ("Coached" by Paul Hackett)

My point is while 'SC has great talent, they also have found a coach that can exploit it. Just look at what PC did in '01 with mostly Hackett's recruits.

speedracer said:

Bill Callahan would have done well to stick with Nebraska's power running game last year and gradually phase in the new offense.

I agree. I think that would have prevented NU's first losing season in 41 years :| but so be it. I think it also would have been easier on the fanbase, and made it a lot more paletable; saying "I respect the tradition and want to change slowly" would come across more nicely than "I'm here, it's the new era, do it my way, now"

:shrug:

But handling the offensive transition isn't the first thing the program could have done better. :ugh:

=

I totally agree, the true WCO can't be run in the NCAA, and I even in the NFL i hear about all these modifications. BC, from what I do know (I can't "see" many games), has modified the offense, and there has been improvment in critical areas like completion percentage........................ but........

the offensive line is really a liability this year, and when that happens, it doesn't really matter what you run. A LOT of NU fans are totally upset about that, especially when, for years, NU simply lined up and went through people :shrug: but so it is.

Quite frankly, I don't understand the firing of coach Solich myself. I don't have any major issues with it, because it has happened and it's over now. But.... regardless of the 9-3 record, he was hand picked by the legendary Tom O. Sure, recruiting was bad for a while.....

But I started becoming a fan the year he got fired, so I really don't know what the amosphere was like :shrug:

Maybe more later...... I gotta eat!!

Random Thoughts from the Bye week:

Does anyone else here hate the "Prevent" Defense? As it was mentioned during the telecast, it only prevents you from winning. Ugghh. The Trees nearly had a great upset. Oh, and Brady Quinn is highly overrated.

I find it amusing that Reggie Bush may have clinched the Heisman this week, without playing.

I wished I could have watched Nebby destroy the buffs. I just really dislike that team. Of course, since Iowa St choked, the buffs still get to play in the Big 12 "Championship Game".

Not that anyone really cares but me...

but I'm going to the Big 12 Championship game!

:rockon:

I don't really care, true.

I would have loved to see Nebraska there, but maybe next year. Year 2 of rebuilding is doing fairly well.

Have fun. If you get any good pics, be sure to share :up:

I'll take my camera for sure. Got lower levels on the 40, so I'll be sure to get some shots of VY galloping about like a gazelle.

trojanchick99 said:
in the Big 12 "Championship Game".

You know, I really don't like how the Big 12 is set up...
If it was actually a more level playing field, i'd say it is a great idea, but.... the conference is heavily lopsided on the South. Regardless of Nebraska's quality at the moment, it just seems odd.

I mean, what was the Big 8 like? I wasn't around for those days.

I guess it doesn't really matter, money play would probably work things over sooner or later. Yeah, the NU win against CU was really nice, because it was the first time in about a year I saw them on TV. It was a good statement, and gave people something to believe in, at least on a national level.

=

So what are some of the other BSCbowl matchups likely to be?

USC and Texas for the NC, right?
and then.......?

I'm going to the Virginia Tech/FSU game this Saturday

I hope FSU doesn't get killed that badly, since I'm a Noles fan, yay go noles...:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom