(11-12-2004) X-clusive: Bono Talks Piracy and Band Aid -- XFM*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
X-clusive: Bono Talks Piracy and Band Aid

U2 frontman Bono has been talking exclusively to Xfm about the recent illegal pirating of his band’s new album and what it was like re-recording his legendary line for the new Band Aid 20 single ahead of this weekend’s studio session

Speaking to Xfm after U2 were officially inducted into the first UK Music Hall Of Fame at the Hackney Empire in London last night, Bono confessed that despite all the press speculation as to who would be singing his famous line “Well tonight thank God it’s them, instead of you” he has already sung the part.

Bono recorded his vocal – alongside some guitars by his bandmate The Edge – to a basic version of the track, so it can be inserted in the finished song which is being recorded at Air Studios in London this Sunday (November 14).

“Y’know that song is s great lyric,” he explained, “They had a demo version of it that was like a Holiday Inn band, fairly cheesy, and yet singing it I was… I remembered why it moved so many people. Why it moved me.”

“And it changed my life that song y’know? It brought me to Live Aid then brought me to Africa and Africa is an extraordinary place. An extraordinary shining place. Beautiful continent full of these royal people, incredible people, as well as this awfulness that they’re in. There’s so much to believe in Africa. And the thing that gets to me is they really believe in us. They really believe we can help them. And we can if we really want to.

The press has also been full of news that U2’s new album ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ has already been pirated and has surfaced on the internet ahead of it's official release date of November 22. Bono told Xfm he reckons that the person responsible was also behind the resent piracy of Eminem’s upcoming new record.

“Same person we think,” he explained, “It’s never nice to have a little thief in charge of your release campaign for your new album, however it up there. Our fans are not the kind of people who will really run amok with this, they want the CD, they want the download, they’ll go to apple iTunes or somewhere else where its fun and interesting and easy to download music.

“Bootlegs are fine if you’re making a few of them for your friends I've no problem with that but if its big business, bad ass crime, I don’t think you want to be a part of that – and that’s what this is. We’re dealing with some nasty people and I don’t think you should be paying for their summer holiday in Ibiza “

As previously reported, there are rumoured U2 shows taking place at Croke Park, Dublin on June 26, 27 and 28, London’s Twickenham Park on July 2 and the Stade De France in Paris in early July next year – but none have been officially confirmed.

U2 release their new album ‘How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb’ on November 22 preceded by new single ‘Vertigo’ on November 8.

--XFM

“Bootlegs are fine if you’re making a few of them for your friends I've no problem with that but if its big business, bad ass crime"

:up:

Make sure you all buy the CD when it's out and it'll all be kosher! :wink: All you virgins....you have permission to be bad...

starsgoblue said:
“Bootlegs are fine if you’re making a few of them for your friends I've no problem with that but if its big business, bad ass crime"

This isn't really a big surprise is it? Bono has always said something similar whenever asked. I'm certainly not going on vacation to Ibiza (where ever that is) anytime soon. Download the album then buy it when it comes out. Its quite simple actually.

It sounds as if they have a pretty clear idea of who "the little thief" is. I wonder if there'll be an arrest, and if we'll hear about it?

So then how is downloading the leak paying for the thieve's Ibiza vacations? Gee, I guess I just don't get it...

Now, if U2 can get tickets to their fans while avoiding the scalpers markup, that will truly be keeping money out of hands of "nasty little thieves".

I think Bono was referring to the folks who burn leaked albums onto CDs and sell them. I understand it's a very profitable business. He wasn't referring to fans who downloaded the album simply for their own listening pleasure as a prelude to buying the actual CD.

I buy everything...I confess. Over 300 vinyl bootlegs. 45+ singles and imports on vinyl. 50+ more on CD.

But more importantly, every commercial piece ever offered. From their music to the paraphenalia. Also bought 100's of copies of various albums as gifts! Easily 100 concerts too.

The problem is not the poet being the thief, it's the aresehole thieves attacking the poet. Not death penalty stuff but the guy could line up on a wall 4 feet away and we all could fling cd's at him for a few days...

“Bootlegs are fine if you’re making a few of them for your friends I've no problem with that but if its big business, bad ass crime, I don’t think you want to be a part of that – and that’s what this is. We’re dealing with some nasty people and I don’t think you should be paying for their summer holiday in Ibiza “

I think there are a lot of longstanding friends that started by sharing boots. There were some people outside venues in 2001 distributing their wares for free bc they didn't want them sold for profit by someone else. Once the market is flooded there's no profit margin.

Back
Top Bottom